Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

McCoy is a heartthrob, agreed

It's the spoons, right? Chicks love the spoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have to admit that the "Beeb wants a dashing romantic David Tennant type" stories we've been hearing is what makes me a wee bit doubtful about Kris Marshall.

I appreciate I'm being a bit rude about him (and maybe I just haven't watched enough Death In Paradise or whatever), but he doesn't exactly give off that "dashing romantic" vibe to me.

No, he doesn't. He's an affable buffoon. He has a niche but it's absolutely not "dashing".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Turmoil posted:

It will most likely lead to a betrayal where the dialog will go something like this.

Missy: Ha! Doctorkins, I never really cared about getting better and now I'm going to betray you.
Doctor: Oh no.
Missy: Oh yes.
Doctor: Oh no!
Missy: Oh yes, darling!
Doctor: I was afraid of that. That's why I went back 2 months ago and re-wrote the base code of the plutonic equalizer to nullify the effects of your temporalmogrifier.
Missy: I knew you would do that, so I went back a month ago and updated the base code to make it amplify the effects. I'll be unstoppable.
Doctor: Oh, really? Without this? *holds up device with lights on it and some wires sticking out* See, I knew that you knew that I would try and stop you so I took the added precaution of removing the batteries.

Bill and Nardol's Excellent Adventure.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Also uh

Why did the Doctor refer to himself and the Master as the Last of the Time Lords?

Did something happen to Galifrey again when we weren't looking?

Well, for a few hundred years they thought they were. Old habits die hard.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

(And everyone laughing at Bill's genuine distress after shooting the Doctor felt really off to me.)

The fact that one guy didn't put blanks in being a fun throwaway line was a bit of a weird tone thing too. Hey, Bill, lol, you could have been tricked into ACTUALLY shooting him and not just fake shooting him!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ephemeron posted:

IIRC, UNIT soldiers guarding the Third's TARDIS had to be explicitly ordered to load live rounds (which implies that they use blanks by default).

See, I can easily see "no live rounds" being at the Doctor's insistence. Mind you I can also see the Brig saying "sod that".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

"They never were immune to bullets, Brrrrigadier, I've been swapping your ammo for years." :chord:

That would REALLY upset Chunky Gilmore.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Forktoss posted:

Nice to hear someone's as lame as me

See now I get it, he was threatening to use the Oubliette of Eternity.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, I live in the one constituency here where the MP isn't with either the terrorists or the homophobes.

Now now. The homophobes used to be terrorists too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ephemeron posted:

Speaking of controversial preferences, I think I might be the only person whose favorite DW episode is Paradise Towers.

I know someone who loves Time and the Rani. I just assume he took a blow to the head sometime in 1987.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, Paradise Towers is pretty drat good. Not my favourite (The Happiness Patrol) but I really like it and a lot of the ideas it's playing with.

(Which Kangs is best Kangs?)

Red. Duh.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, Nick Briggs must be a fan. Otherwise why would he remake it _three_ times in the last four years.

Paradise Towers... but in an airport!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/spaceport-fear-708

Paradise Towers... but in a parking garage!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-high-price-of-parking-1257

Paradise Towers... but in an Amazon warehouse!

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-warehouse-874

(All with the seventh doctor too!)

Spaceport Fear is a Six story, in fact. And it's pretty fun!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rochallor posted:

Time and the Rani isn't good, but it's nowhere near as bad as its reputation. It's more mediocre than anything. It's better than all but 2 or 3 of Colin Baker's stories.

I can't make it through it. And the only other serial that's happened with for me is the twin dilemma. Even Delta and the Bannermen has more to recommend it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

FreezingInferno posted:

I sort of ironically love Time And The Rani as well. Something about the combination of it being the desperate last gaps of the Colin Baker years, plus how incredibly 80's it looks (but especially how incredibly 80's it sounds with that goddamned Keff McCulloch score) makes it work for me as a once in a while guilty pleasure.

It's not good, not really, but it's got a sense of fun that the direst stuff from the C. Baker years lack.

Basically what I'm saying is that the DWM 50th anniversary poll of all the stories which put all of S24 in the bottom 30 is massively incorrect and I will fight about it.

Yeah, that's unfair. I don't think there's any season/series of Who that's got nothing of worth in it. Even Trial has the first part of The Ultimate Foe, and Season 24 has the aforementioned Paradise Towers which (long shots of the cleaning robot accompanied by Keff's orchestra stabs aside) is great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think Gatiss just loves historical stuff in general. The Lucifer Box novels start in the Victorian period, move up to the Edwardian and finish in the early stages of the cold war.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh, BBC Radio 4 has a C.Bakes BF audio: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08thzv7

Minor spoiler for this one: Alex McQueen is in it. But isn't playing the Master, so don't get your hopes up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Straight up sequel to Survival.

:boom:

Sadly both Hale and Pace are busy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You guys are being unfair on Owen. Remember that time he solved a rape? From the past?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Box of Bunnies posted:

The good thing about Torchwood existing is that now Big Finish can actually tell good stories with it. Though I'm still going to avoid any that involve Owen. There are some things even they can't rehabilitate.

Was it a tricky time travel tale where he was also the rapist?

No, it was some device that let him see the past and he used it to solve a rape/murder.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Don't put the blame on me, I voted for Lord Buckethead.

"Lord Buckethead, prime minister."
"Yes, we know."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, his whole life could just be a chameleon arch memory implant like the Doctor's was in Family of Blood.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Is it bad that I really want Missy not to be faking?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

I was wondering how they could do this without having canon issues with Spare Parts, but then I remembered there's probably hundreds of years of Mondasian history between that story and Tenth Planet, so there could be a lot of room.

I wonder if Cyber-Commander Zheng will show up. THAT would be the ultimate Big Finish Easter Egg! :allears:

The end of Spare Parts is pretty much the perfect end to a cyberman story. Oh, cool, the doctor won! Oh, one cyberman left? Welp.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I do wish we'd had a bit more Eccleston. For all that series 1 has aged badly, he does some great doctoring.

"Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!" <waggles explosive device with a massive grin>

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Box of Bunnies posted:

They might be. The gay cawgenda

Bloody gay crows. Coming over here. Taking our... crows?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The BBC radio series starring Clive Merrison.

Merrison is great in those. 4 extra repeats them every so often and I always try to listen.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Heaven Sent is definitely one of the best episodes the show has done. Hell Bent, I get sort of bored with the drawn out Gallifrey stuff, with the blustering President and the regenerating guard and the Dalek basement, but I do like the interactions between the Doctor and Clara. I think the overall arc of the season was presenting that the Doctor, having lived lifetime after lifetime, you'd think, would be better at dealing with grief, but if anything, is worse at it, and makes bad decisions to prevent himself from having to grieve.

That idea, that this horrible feeling is not one that you get used to, but that you get more and more tired of suffering through it as you're forced to experience it again and again, is one that I think is kind of sweet and very Doctor Who. There were some problems with Ashildr's execution, but the idea to have her a contrast, someone who becomes numb to grief and becomes less human because of it, was an interesting one.

I didn't like the Doc killing the general in Hell Bent. I mean yes, he had regenerations left, but he totally murdered that personality purely as a distraction.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Even so. Doesn't sit right with me. Not even from a "the doctor doesn't kill" standpoint, which is one of those truisms that patently isn't, but in this context, I just don't like it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

And I believe, according to Spare Parts (canon until potentially proven otherwise by this week's episode), this major shift happened around the equivalent of their early-mid 20th century. Technology from that time remained and stagnated because all innovation instead had to go into that whole 'not dying in the cold expanse of space' thing.

Yeah, in Spare Parts the city is described as looking like 1950s London, if I remember rightly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

https://twitter.com/morganjeffery/status/878282263670046720

Here's a link to a fun little piece looking back on the history of Big Finish, and their relationship with the BBC. Amusing that Moffat was at the initial meeting between Briggs and the BBC, but walked out

Reading that, I don't think that meeting was with the beeb, I think it was just them asking a load of writers to pitch to them. Interesting that Moffat only wanted to write for 8 considering how much of a 5 fan he is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Edit: I mean, I guess this obliterates Spare Parts... wait, no, it doesn't have to at all, there could have been a parallel technological advance on Mondas as it happened on the ship.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

remusclaw posted:

About halfway through the episode it clicked for me that this was a multi Master ep and that Razor was the Master in a completely pointless mask, and I loved the episode all the more when it was revealed to be so. Hmm, too early to say, but a good Cyberman story? Say it ain't so!

I'm an idiot and didn't realise it was him until he ran into Missy. Which meant I did the same thing as I did in Utopia and was going "Nooo, it's not is it? It loving is!"

I do wish they hadn't spoiled his presence or the cybermen in all the promotion, because this would have been up there with the aforementioned Utopia as a reveal otherwise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Crusader posted:

The Master likes teaming up with the Doctor's foes to gently caress with the Doctor, but the Daleks don't trust the Master anymore (there was that whole "put on trial and executed" thing), so what can ya do

It'd be funny if the Daleks considered his slate clean because they DID execute him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I didn't like Moffat as far back as Time and the Rani. :colbert:

You're being unfair to Pip and Jane. Which I'm fine with, frankly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I've never seen one before, no one has...

WHITEHOLESPEWINGTIMEENGINESDEADADVICEPLEASE

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

The only thing I never got is how blocking emotions stops people/cybermen 'caring' about pain.

Pain is not an emotion. Pain is pain and even without emotions it's easily powerful enough to shut down a body. No matter your state of mind, if you're in enough pain you simply cannot move your body properly or will faint.

Yeah, the pain thing feels like a misstep. I thought the emotional inhibitor was to get around the existential horror of what you've done to yourself to survive. In Spare Parts it's specifically because people are so used to being inside of Mondas they can't cope on the surface and have mental breakdowns, like they have incredibly severe agoraphobia.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Of course Sara Kingdom managed to both age 50 years AND be killed off.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

happyhippy posted:

So the Doctor inadvertently creates two of his worst enemies, Daleks and now Cybermen.

Looking forward to the next Doc creating the Weeping Angels.

He more failed to stop the Daleks than created them. Unless there's a New Adventures novel where he does or something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

mycomancy posted:

He saves Devros as a child, who goes on to create the Daleks.

Wow, I forgot that happened. And that was only last series wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

This has been Moffat's master plan all along. He's had this in mind since he became showrunner, probably since he was a teenager actually. Become in charge of Doctor Who, spend years trying to prove you're not sexist and act as progressive as possible while apologizing for gaffes and doing stuff like MtF Time Lord regeneration, create a gay, black, female character--and have her killed off by a white male.

:boom:

Patriarchy's ultimate victory! With a totally non-convoluted plan!

This is my theory, and the reason why I think it doesn't negate Spare Parts at all:

-The Master escapes un-Time Locked Gallifrey, probably after killing Dalton-Rassilon and forcing his regeneration into Old Man Rassilon
-He goes to Mondas, perhaps just after Spare Parts and tells them "hey, there's aliens out there, I'm one of them, and we want to help you!" then song and dance sells them the idea of a monorail colony ship to rescue all of their people. Which he never intends to do. "Utopia" :rolleyes:
-He takes 50 Mondasians off and goes to pick up the colony ship with Blue Guy
-He then purposefully flys it towards a black hole and sends 20 people down to the engines, who live there for hundreds of years, have kids, etc. Eventually poo poo starts to break down because it's been 1000 years
-After a few hours/centuries he goes down himself to spend some time in disguise as Mr. Razor. He probably kills the people who were sent up to Floor 507 or whatever, and urges them to use their Mondasian cyber conversion tech to survive the harrowing journey back to the bridge. He probably also starts sending up partially converted people to kidnap the remaining 30 or so Mondasians and convert them

I really want to rewatch this episode because I think I missed a lot. Sometimes it's hard for me to hear the dialogue with the music mix...I think there's something wrong with my tv settings. Also I never clocked Mr. Razor as John Simm til he said "you'd never be so self-destructive" to Missy, though in retrospect a lot of his "OOH A HAT!" and sinister tea comments were very, very much Simm-Master. I read somewhere else there were some Saxon/Simm musical cues in there with Mr. Razor so I want to listen for those.

I liked the way the tech/design in the Mondasian city was very 1950s in nature--very evocative of Spare Parts.

I don't think this timeline QUITE works because Mondasians would still have the same agoraphobia that necessitated the conversion process I'm the first place. Plus Zheng would have been converting them as fast as possible anyway.

• Locked thread