Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising:

An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

4th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Season One

5th Doctor
Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool

6th Doctor
Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero

7th Doctor
The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari

8th Doctor
Televised
TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
Audio Monthly Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends

Audio 8th Doctor Adventures
Season 1: Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources
Season 2: Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius
Season 3: Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web
Season 4: Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death

The War Doctor
Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War | The Day of the Doctor

9th Doctor
Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways

10th Doctor
Season 2
The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday

Season 3
The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash

Season 4
Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Year of Specials
The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time

10th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Volume 1

11th Doctor
Season 5
The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol

Season 6
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe

Season 7
Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor

12th Doctor
Season 8
Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas

Season 9
The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song

Season 10
The Return of Doctor Mysterio

Big Finish Specials
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1

Also just for ease of access, here are most of the gifs I've posted over the years in the various threads:

William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Moffat has had a year to put this season together so I'm really, really hoping the quality is high. I mean, it's unlikely to be as good as season 5 but I'd be satisfied with around the same level as season 8 which I really liked. The Return of Doctor Mysterio wasn't exactly a great start though so fingers crossed.

After The War posted:

I do have a continuity guide to the first 50 Big Finish stories

This is awesome, though I did make a conscious decision not to try too hard to keep track of this stuff in my own head, especially since I listened to a large chunk of it out of order.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You know what's better? The Eleventh Hour.

The Eleventh Hour is so loving good. Hell, just that opening section with the new Doctor and little Amelia Pond is amazing by itself.

Man I gotta rewatch THAT!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well now Trump has just gone too far!

I do hope you are still listening when you get a chance. My commute has changed and I'm struggling just to keep up with regular podcasts at the moment so I'm listening to far less Big Finish than I'd like to be - plus now they've got a television version of Doctor Who going too? Talk about cashing in!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the first two episodes of the latest Sherlock, the last was just terrible though :smith:

Oh well, hopefully season 5 in 2022 will be all good!

Edit: But yeah, looking it up Moffat's episode was The Lying Detective and that was great, Toby Jones was fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

EDIT- J Ru, seriously man, you have six pages of posts in that thread. I'm calling you out on that nerd master.

I went 16 years with only one televised episode of Doctor Who (please don't mention Dimensions in Time :gonk:) and nobody gave a poo poo about the show anymore. Then it came back and got incredibly popular again and people actually wanted to talk about it again, and I'm latching onto all of you like a tick with no regrets :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only 70 years old too :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't hate the concept, hate the execution.

The terrible, terrible execution.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So with season 10 only a few days away AND being Moffat's final season, I thought it might be fun to go back and look at the first episode of his first season. I've written about The Eleventh Hour before (and posted about it a million times) but not in any great depth. And it is one of my favorite episodes of the revival, and still the episode I encourage new viewers to watch as an introduction. Does it hold up 7 years later though? For me, absolutely it does. Yeah some of the CGI is a little dated now (though nothing close to how horrible Rose now looks) and with the benefit of hindsight you can see any number of potential plot threads/ideas that never quite went anywhere or got pulled off as they should have. Plus we get out first clear look at some of the repeating elements familiar to much of Moffat's Who output, present before but largely masked by being contained and isolated within the RTD era. But it's still an absolute blast of an episode with a wonderful fairytale atmosphere, amazing chemistry between Matt Smith and Karen Gillan (and Caitlin Blackwood of course), the satisfaction of the logical and genuinely clever solution that the Doctor comes up with to catch Prisoner Zero, and of course the way the elements of that solution are actually seeded throughout the episode so it doesn't just come out of nowhere. As a reaction/response to the RTD era it still feels like a breath of fresh air, but most importantly it does what it sets out to do brilliantly, it introduces the world properly to the 11th Doctor.

http://i.imgur.com/3OuG4t7.gifv
The opening is the only really sour note for me in the episode, though I do like to think of it as a kind of exorcising of the last remnants of the RTD era. Not that the RTD era was a bad thing, but Moffat had a clean slate - new Doctor, new companions, new showrunner etc - and it was time to stamp a new identity down on the show. A big plus to this was the shift to HD, the show immediately looks 1000 times better than it did during the first 4 seasons which in turn makes it stand out. The old console set wasn't really fit for HD transmission which was as good an excuse as any to replace it, which also helps to largely remove the TARDIS from the story outside of when it is used to screw things up. So we open with the TARDIS spiraling out of control, burning up from the release of excess regeneration energy the 10th Doctor was trying to hold back to put off his regeneration as long as possible. The next Doctor barely avoids crotching himself in a broad bit of "comedy" and continues blasting over the London night sky towards the small village of Leadworth, where he crashes into a shed just as young Amelia Pond is praying to Santa to fix the crack in her wall.

The Doctor posted:

Oh, that's a brilliant name. Amelia Pond. Like a name in a fairy tale.

The fairytale atmosphere is deliberate and extremely welcome. The EleventhRaggedy Doctor is like something out of Dr. Suess or Roald Dahl, a somewhat chaotic and not entirely safe figure who barrels into the life of a little girl and brightens her day while also teetering constantly on the edge of disaster as he offers well-intentioned but somewhat destructive assistance for problems that may or may not be entirely in her head. The casting of Caitlin Blackwood is inspired, not just because she's genuinely a good actor but because she is related to Karen Gillan, and so - especially with the benefit of hindsight - you can almost see the grown Amy in her face, you can see the same traits Amy has in an incomplete form. Like the Cat in the Hat, the Doctor talks nonsense to Amelia that she takes with a grain of salt but also with childish credulity. There's a swimming pool AND a library inside his smoking blue box AND an engine(s!), he coughs up glowing energy, and he's absolutely starving and determined that SHE be a good host and feed him, leading to some fantastic editing as he tries and rejects multiple "favorite" foods as he tries to get to grips with his new tastebuds. This serves multiple purposes, outside of the whimsy and the development of the Doctor and Amelia's relationship, it's a clever and fun way to introduce a new audience to the idea that the Doctor has changed bodies and that he himself isn't entirely sure what is really going on/who he is and what he likes.

A running theme throughout this episode is that part of the Doctor's post-regeneration issues had his mind still working as fast and efficiently as ever.... but he wasn't quite able to keep up with it. Connections were being made, conclusions drawn, factors accounted for etc... but he has to actually stop to think (with some strain) about what he's already figured out. There's a fine line to walk here as the Doctor has to simultaneously incredibly smart AND incredibly stupid, but one aspect I really dug was that this Doctor's emphasis appeared to be more on empathy and emotional availability. As Amelia tells him her own little story and he regales her with the fascination that is his own life, he hasn't missed the important details - she is a brave and determined little girl who doesn't shake easily and whose mind is open to the bizarre... which means he takes it seriously when she says she is scared of the crack in her wall. It's a silly and childish thing to be scared of, but the Doctor in only a few minutes has grasped that Amelia isn't the type to be scared of the same things that might frighten other children, and he's more than willing to take on face value the notion that maybe there is something scary in what seems to be a mundane thing. What he finds, of course, is the first "Crack", a recurring theme throughout this season, a hole in time and space as the universe is/was/will be torn to pieces by a future event involving "the Doctor in his TARDIS". At this point all we know about it is that it's there, and the Doctor himself assumes it was created by Prisoner Zero when it escaped the Atraxi. The seeds are sown in his later conversation with Zero for the events that will transpire across the rest of the season, but the Crack passes that important test of working both within a season-long arc AND the vacuum of a single episode. It's creepy and it's mundane, it's taken something normal and making it terrifying. In other words, it'll scare kids and please the ghost of Robert Holmes, which is really all you can ask from Doctor Who. It's a great strength of the episode as it creates this underlying sense of unease beneath the surface fun of the fairytale atmosphere, probably best encapsulated in those moments where the Doctor and later Amy look out the corner of their eyes and find the room that has ALWAYS been in the house and never noticed, hiding in plain sight - the usual made unusual, the normal made abnormal.

http://i.imgur.com/u2wyUxb.gifv
With the Crack closed and with the knowledge that Prisoner Zero came through it, he Doctor departs just as he was about to figure it all out, distracted by the TARDIS engines risking phasing, meaning he had to take a quick hop through time/space to clear everything up. He promises little Amelia (whose story about living alone with her Aunt already isn't quite adding up) that he will be back in 5 minutes, assuring her that unlike "people" he keeps his word, and he will take her on an adventure when he returns. He departs in his TARDIS and shes rushes to pack her bags to wait for him.... and wait, and wait and wait and wait. The Doctor returns as promised, only to find it's now daytime and things seem to have changed. He's more concerned by having caught up with his own mind at last though and figured out what Prisoner Zero is - but Amelia is nowhere to be seen, replaced by a cricket bat that knocks him out (complete with cartoonish tweeting noises that will return a few times during Moffat's run), and he wakes to find himself handcuffed to a radiator while a leggy redheaded woman in a police uniform calls in for back-up. Baffled by this turn of events, the Doctor and the police officer encounter Prisoner Zero, are threatened with the burning down of the "house" (actually the entire planet) by Zero's warders The Atraxi, and escape outside where the Doctor becomes fascinated by the presence of a replacement shed for the one his TARDIS crashed into. Why? Because it's close to a decade old but he was only gone 6 months (intended to be 5 minutes), at which point the fake police officer (She's a kissagram who needed an official looking uniform to intimidate the strange man who broke into the house) reveals what everybody else figured out long before the Doctor - she's Amelia Pond, and he's been gone 10 years.

It's to the credit of the writing and the casting and the actors that after spending so much time establishing a rapport between Matt Smith and Caitlin Blackwood, they actually pull off having the rest of the episode (and the next 2.5 seasons) with Karen Gillan playing an older version of Amelia. The two immediately spark off each other, Amy Pond is a marvelous character and the slow unraveling of her initial official no-nonsense attitude to demonstrate she's actually an incredibly stubborn and even somewhat scary village eccentric. Everybody knows her (and hilariously, her longstanding imaginary friend "the Raggedy Doctor") and are very slightly nervous just to be around her. We later find out this is partly due to an unconscious reaction to her entire life being a paradoxical tangle, but I prefer the idea that she's just naturally like this as well. Bursting into people's houses, using a man's cardoor to trap the Doctor, arguing with everything and refusing to be dismissed or treated as a prop during the Doctor's triumphant inspirational speech - Amy establishes herself strongly and immediately stands out beyond just being a(n extraordinarily) pretty face.

Rory is there too, feeling like a(n important) supporting character with no real sense that he would be anything more than a semi-recurring character at best (he is Amy's "boyfriend", a fact she seems eager to downplay). But there's already established somewhat of the character he would grow into, or at least the potential for it. He is the one who spots the coma patients walking around the village, perhaps his exposure to Amy having opened his eyes to seeing things everybody else misses or ignores, and despite his utter terror he is there every step of the way with Amy as they rush headfirst into danger to try and track down Prisoner Zero. There are a couple of false starts though, the casting of Annette Crosbie in such a small role seemed certain to be the sign of another recurring character ala Jackie Tyler or Francine Jones, as well as her handsome, tall and muscular grandson Jeff (which leads to a rather funny pornography joke) but both are never seen again.

The Doctor's plan to capture Prisoner Zero is inspired, and all these years later it's easy to forget that for a very long period of time before this episode aired, there was a tendency for the Doctor's plans in the Revival to involve some sudden bit of technobabble or introduction of new information to resolve the issue. Here, Prisoner Zero's abilities and limitations are established, the stakes are set, the set-up for the resolution is introduced and everything comes together in a mostly tidy package that feels earned. The Doctor builds a computer virus that resets all the clocks and electronic devices in the world to output zero, and makes sure the Atraxi are able to trace the source back to the phone he used to code it. That brings the Atraxi to within spitting distance of Prisoner Zero, and then he uses the photos Rory took of the coma patients to upload them to the Atraxi and give them a photo of every single form Prisoner Zero can take. Even Prisoner Zero's own back alley escape route has been established, it was made clear it needed months of exposure to make the connection with the mind of another being and then take their form, and it's had a decade with Amy. Then the Doctor's own solution is just as well established, he grasps that the mental connection can work both ways and he can still communicate with the now unconscious Amy, and turns Zero's transforming ability against itself by making it do an absolutely perfect impersonation... of itself. The Atraxi seemingly teleport it away despite it being well established they were coming to kill it and then depart the Earth... and the Doctor immediately calls them back.

This is one of the more "controversial" sections of the episode for want of a better word. Even at this point there was already fatigue with the notion of the Doctor making a big speech and scaring off aliens with his own legend. It was used to great effect in the Library 2-parter as a bluff against the Vashta Nerada, but it's use in this episode already raised concerns about Moffat going back to the same playbook - a critique that would follow him through to the current day. I'd argue that within context of the season long arc it makes a ton of sense to include this speech in this episode, but an episode needs to be able to stand on its own as well. I'd still argue that it does, that the Doctor's speech here works primarily because this episode is the start of a new era for Doctor Who but also as a reminder of what has gone before and an introduction to new viewers of who this character is. The Atraxi almost committed an unimaginable crime in order to capture and kill Prisoner Zero, and they did it because they thought they could get away with it. So he's here to warn them and any others (and inform us the audience) that Earth is protected, that it has been going back to his first body and this 11th (that we knew of at the time) is that same person. "Basically... run" is a line that may or may not work for you, but Matt Smith's delivery gets me every time. Helped by the fact it's the first time we see him in HIS costume, the last ragged remnants of (the beloved) David Tennant are gone and this new actor stands in his place, but he IS the Doctor.

The Doctor returns in a rush to the TARDIS when his key heats up to indicate it has finished its internal repairs. Departing for a quick trip to break her in, he leaves Amy behind as she struggles to catch up to him, but he returns later that night to fulfill his promise. In a wonderful moment that would become familiar over the next few years, Amy undercuts the Doctor just as he is getting a little too full of himself (as all good companions should) by explaining that the events with the Atraxi and Prisoner Zero happened.... 2 years ago. It's been 12 years she has been waiting for him to fulfill his "back in five minutes" promise. So better late than never, he introduces her to the TARDIS and we get our first sight of the brand new console room, and I still think it's a wonderful and pretty thing even if it is a bit full on with the "whimsy". But that was the look they wanted, the feel they wanted to capture - this Doctor and his relationship with Amy Pond was a fairytale, he was something straight out of her imagination or a storybook. The Raggedy Doctor, something wonderful and impossible and ridiculous and mad... but very real. Amelia changed her name to Amy because she grew up and fairytales are for children, but the Doctor happily promises to "fix" her of that condition. She takes her first look at the inside of the TARDIS and gasps that even in spite of all the craziness she's been through with him, she never quite believed it was all real until she saw this. She thought he was just a "madman" with a box. The Doctor's final line back to her is a fantastic capper as well as somewhat of a statement of who and what the 11th Doctor would be over the next three seasons.

The Doctor posted:

Amy Pond, there's something you'd better understand about me, because it's important, and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Maybe he'll secretly be really good because we're all dreading him so much

Well the first season of Broadchurch was amazing and that was something he's been working on for years beforehand, so maybe his first season of Who will be great too.

But then of course there was Broadchurch season 2.... :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I kinda wish Capaldi could have been the Doctor for years and years and years. But then I felt the same about pretty much every actor who ever played the Doctor (I didn't at the time about Colin Baker but now I know I was wrong).

Really the only non-Tom Doctors who got to spend years in the role were Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann and they did so in a Monkey's Paw fashion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

This is real, on top of a house in my neighborhood (Oakland CA)

Kinda odd seeing the TARDIS hovering over that one story house like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually don't own most of these! :woop:

I mean... I didn't own most of these.... :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Our long global nightmare is over :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp I already like Bill

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I really, really liked that. And I really like Bill. Really hoping the rest of the season is as strong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also gotta say I'm a big fan of Moffat inserting these giant time-gaps (70 years teaching at the University) into his Doctor runs to make life easier for Big Finish :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Movellans though!

I know! :neckbeard:

I love that they didn't play it up too much, just threw those weirdos in there without comment, goofy wigs and all :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I was a big fan of how they treated Bill and Heather's sexuality. The latter particularly with her feelings of being "alien" and focusing on a "defect" that was just part of who she was and didn't need to be "fixed". She always felt like an outsider whereas Bill is completely confident/at ease with who and what she is.

Edit: Goddammit Big Finish.... :homebrew:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pilot gifs - thumbnailed to prevent killing computers and also so I can throw in a spoiler (I literally had no idea about the spoiler until I saw it in the "coming soon" trailer, I'm so excited!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cryohazard posted:

Nardole is pointless.

I'm interested in seeing where they go with him, so far I've enjoyed Matt Lucas in the role but he is almost a completely different character to the Nardole we saw in The Husbands of River Song.

I had assumed he was there because the Doctor didn't want another companion after losing Clara but also recognized that he couldn't travel alone, so he basically built a body for Nardole so he could give him the job of being his assistant without the emotional connection (which is clearly there anyway) so I'd be interested in seeing how now having a regular companion again affects his status and their relationship.

I have a feeling they won't go in that direction though, and he'll mostly remain as comic relief.

The_Doctor posted:

Ahhhhh!! I didn't notice, but he's got the rubbish little beard back!

Well he's not married anymore so he needs it again! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also just want to note again holy poo poo they had Movellans in this episode! MOVELLANS!

These loving guys!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dodo is in the vault, and there she shall remain :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On a completely shallow level, gotta say I love Bill's hair too, or rather that she can do so much with it - she had about a half-dozen hairstyles in this episode and they all looked great.

I mean, this is completely meaningless when it comes to character, writing and themes etc.... but I still really like her hair! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ESPECIALLY those parts!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And will it be airing at a reasonable 6:30ish time slot again like it always should be?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There'll come a point where the show will go on "indefinite hiatus" again, of that I have no doubt. That said, I do believe the nature of the show and the success of the revival mean that even if that does happen, it won't be too long (relatively) before the BBC dusts it off and has another go at it and there's nothing to stop it from being a thing on television more often than not. At least I hope so :shobon:

That said, I hope it sticks around for at least another 15-20 years before it goes on another hiatus!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

I'll miss him ever so much.

Yep, so sad this is his last year. I had hoped he would be around for years.

As always your work looks fantastic on the show, can't wait to see what you did with the next season of Red Dwarf too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eight popped into the office to borrow it again for the exciting 8th Doctor Adventures tv series set to air between new seasons of Doctor Who, DUH!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Onomarchus posted:

If we can't have Peter Capaldi anymore, I hope the next regeneration is the Valeyard.

I also would be pleased to see the return of Toby Jones!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

From memory that was a late-ish request and there was a lot of panick'd ebaying / phoning collectors. I think we hired some guy's personal set.

Terrance Dicks: I'm so glad production on Doctor Who hasn't changed since my day :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Surprised someone didn't just run to the DW Experience shop.

BBC: We can't afford that!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I dug the use of the Daleks and I hope it's their only appearance this season, as I think a full on Dalek episode shouldn't just be something we expect every single season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nick Briggs offered to share the load on Dalek stories per year but based on Big Finish's output it would be 2076 before we saw our next televised story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that the bigger on the inside boxes explanation was a nice joke version of the Fourth Doctors boxes explanation?

That's exactly the scene I thought of too :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

10th Doctor: Ah well, dogs. That's different....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, it was a great scene and part of what makes it so great for me is that there is nothing surprising or even all that new about it - everybody knew exactly what we were going to see/what was going to happen and then that's exactly what they showed. They didn't shake things up or twist things around, they just did that shot really, really, really loving well and made it look amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

They designed the episode to be a new jumping on point

I do have to say I think they succeeded pretty drat well, I think it's the best jumping on point since Eleventh Hour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You don't steer the TARDIS, you negotiate with it."

The Doctor's such a terrible negotiator :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"How does killing thousands of people make me happy?"
"How does killing thousands of people make me happy... smiley face!"