Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well that was good too, the ending didn't quite live up to the set-up but I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

How was the third season of Broadchurch? I didn't bother watching it after the second was so bad, but I heard the third was pretty well received?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

As soon as the emojibot started stressing out over its dead mate and flashing the lightbulb I figured they were recognising what grief is and we were going to get a very sombre ending about reconcilliation, understanding a new species and learning to live with your mistakes. I was all ready to start calling this the best episode of Nu Who.

This is the direction I thought they were going as well and I was really excited about it. The mindwipe was really lovely but I did like that the Doctor didn't do it to reset the robots to defaults, but to essentially wipe the slate clean and allow the robots to begin their existence again as the indigenous lifeform of the planet rather than custom built servants, and force the colonists to actually negotiate with them as equals.

What I find interesting about the mindwipe is that in the previous episode Bill calls out the Doctor on trying to do it to her and he recognizes that it is a lovely thing and chooses not to do it, so in that regard this did feel like a bit of a regression.

echoplex posted:

Initially pitched - and pushed really hard for - black emoji faces as per my concept below, as I thought yellow would be too on the nose.

I do think having them be black would immediately give them a negative context for the viewer, the cheerful yellow is familiar to the audience and makes the moment they turn into killers hit stronger I think.

RIP Poo Cluster I

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smile gifs - click to view

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 23, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

If anything the Doctor deleting their routine is freeing them. The directive to serve the humans was what had to be purged- he had to reset them in order for them to no longer be slaves.

I just think that needed a bit more articulation, especially considering it follows last week's episode where a mind-wipe is strongly pushed as a bad thing that is taking away something precious from the person.

Like Strom Cuzewon, when the robot got shot and the other one started flashing between differing emotional states I got it into my head that it was experiencing grief for the first time, the emotion they hadn't been able to understand in the humans which lead to the deaths in the first place. I would have loved if the Doctor had explained the emotion to them and brokered a peace, then told the humans to be LESS emotional and put aside that the robots had killed the set-up crew and set a standard/example for the robots to learn from as they worked together as equals on the planet.

I still liked the ending and really enjoyed the episode, it just felt slightly rushed. This is so much better than In the Forest of the Night it's not even funny though, I would really look forward to seeing him write another episode now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bill doing it would have been a nice parallel to Amy in The Beast Below, true.

Rochallor posted:

A lot of the architecture and sets really looked like the Milwaukee Art Museum, but I'm guessing they didn't fly all the way out to Wisconsin just to shoot an episode.

Of course not... they went to Spain!

The Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias apparently

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Re shoots for The Two Doctors?

Frazer Hines returning 100% confirmed! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

Can someone answer a question for me - does the doctor still hide all traces of his existence like he used to, or does he not bother with secrecy anymore?

It seems like Moffat quietly abandoned that whole idea. The original idea was to walk back from the whole,"Everybody knows who the Doctor is and hero worships and/or fears him" thing and that largely still seems to be the case, with just the appropriate people/races being aware of him now (they largely dumped that stupid Dalek pathweb stuff).

They could have easily just returned to that status quo without the explicit storyline about the Doctor erasing himself from the records in the first place of course.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

So does all humanity know of him, or not?

They do not, just mostly UNIT and his former companions/people tangentially involved in his adventures over the years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

British ratings have come in for The Pilot, and they're higher than anything from series 9 (not counting the Christmas specials)!

Well that's good, it's always nice when good episodes get good ratings :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm looking forward to the next season of that show's time-travelling crossover with The Crown as part of the ITV and Netflix's new shared universe, the Windsorverse.

Just as an aside, The Crown was absolutely fantastic and Matt Smith is really loving good in it (Claire Foy is loving amazing though)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

I'm sad that next season is the last one for Foy and Smith,

I thought they might be able to make it through 3 seasons but the 1 season = 1 decade thing meant that was going to be unlikely. It's a drat shame, and I hope the show can survive the jump to entirely new actors in the main role (ironic considering the thread this is being posted in!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

*muffled, from under a pillow* "I don't want to go!"
"This is for Harriet Jones, Prime Minister."
"Expiring* "Yes... I.... know who she... was..."

If they hadn't been able to trick Barry the Silence into saying,"You should kill us all on sight!" the back-up plan was to get the Silence to demand everybody forget who Harriet Jones* was, since the human mind wouldn't be able to process that impossible command.

* Former Prime Minister

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is that accurate or a joke? Because it sounds like a pretty big spoiler if it's the former :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You don't steer the TARDIS, you reason with her."
"How?"
"Unsuccessfully mostly."

I'm so glad he admitted it :)

One of my funnest memories of the TARDIS is when the 4th Doctor set a randomiser on the controls to avoid anybody from being able to predict or track his movements.... the very first place the TARDIS takes him "randomly" is Skaro :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's a rather big life form to detect so late!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

Our sets look amazing!

They really do, the costuming is awesome too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahhh, the giant alien poop factory. The backbone of the British Empire.

SiKboy posted:

The CGI whalefish is... Well, let's say standard BBC quality.

Haha, that's why I concentrate on the sets/costuming :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was solid, nothing groundbreaking but a fun watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-week-3

This is just happening every week for the whole season, isn't it?

I'm down with that, I'm getting to fill in some gaps in my collection at a pretty low price :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thin Ice gifs - click to view

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

None of those links work for me :(

Are you using the SALR extension in your browser? I had this issue crop up for some people before in the Wrestling Gifs thread and apparently unchecking the "fix imgur links" option in SALR will fix this for you.

If that doesn't help, when you click the link if it has a "m" at the end of the url, delete the m manually and try again and see if that works. The m indicates the medium jpg thumbnail but clicking it should automatically redirect to the gif file.

If none of that helps, no idea sorry :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

Please, no.

"I'll get echoplex to mock us up a.... actually no, how difficult can it be to put text on a screen? :smug:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plavski posted:

Three episodes in and they've all been good. Is this a record for a revival season?

Season 5 had a seven episode run before the Silurian 2-parter!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was just thinking, is this the closest thing we've had to a pure historical adventure in the revival? Because I don't think there were any aliens in this episode other than the Doctor himself (and Nardole) - the fish monster was implied to be a survivor from prehistoric times, wasn't it?

On that basis, The Crimson Horror is as well (and I love that story).

But I'm pretty sure that all-Rush mixtape is right and the last "pure" historical in Doctor Who was Black Orchid from way back in the Davison era.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Keys, comics, books and con-jobs - the Doctor has terrible friends.

Long Synopsis: Four individual stories taken from different periods of the 8th Doctor's life detailing a singular adventure with a different Companion. A futuristic archeological dig/Time Lord trap with Bernice Summerfield; unraveling a scam in the Doctor's name with Fitz Kreiner; tracking down a long out-of-print and rare comic book with Izzy Sinclair; and pre-emptively fixing mistakes he MUST make with Mary Shelley.

What I Liked/Disliked:
  • The format. It makes a nice change to step outside of the regular continuity of Big Finish's main range and just tell several stories that aren't part of some larger ongoing thing. Each story is self-contained and resolved with only one "episode", meaning nothing outlives its welcome and if one of the stories isn't particularly to your liking it isn't long till it is over. The does however mean that you don't really get time to get to know any of the companions, outside of Mary Shelley and the pre-established character of Benny you have two characters that have to provide a brief summary of meeting the Doctor and becoming a companion so we can jump straight into an adventure already in motion. Izzy and Fitz are pre-existing companions too, but they only existed in the books and comics that predated the Big Finish audios so they fall in a grey area of having pre-established characteristics/personalities but having to be written as an introduction to an audience that probably largely is unaware of them. Mary Shelley is a new companion too (there was a 4 page comic the previous year with her in it), but it works for her because this story serves as an introduction of her as a companion, as well as paying off a long-running tease through McGann's entire run that he had a history with Shelley.

• The humor. There is some fun stuff going on through most of the stories. Some of it is hit and miss, but it is largely used well to offset drama or tension or to completely undercut characters who are taking themselves far too seriously. It's heavy use in the middle two stories (and the first includes a lot of snarky back-and-forth) helps the final story that is almost entirely played straight. The way the Doctor and Benny escape a dangerous alien predator is both funny and cements an important plot point that answers the Doctor's own queries from near the start of the story and hammers home the danger of their situation. Plus there's the pleasure of hearing Benny grumpily admit she misses the 7th Doctor after realizing the 8th doesn't have carefully laid out 5th-Dimensional chess solutions and is largely just blundering his way happily through the adventure. The third story with the reveal of who the antagonist actually is and their explanation for what turned them into a villain is a little on-the-nose but still well handled, especially with Izzy's reaction. Unfortunately the comedy of the second story and the character of Fitz didn't really work for me, the character reminded me a bit too much of Thomas Brewster, albeit a more affable and charming one than the bluntly stupid Brewster and his blatant self-interest. Fitz at least appears to have his heart in the right place even if he isn't adverse to a bit of a con-job for his own benefit. The "dumb" janitor is horribly written though and the reveal of what is really going on with him is even more insulting because how it makes all the other characters feel stupider for having fallen for it. The Doctor's resolution for the fourth story and his irritation at himself about what he's doing/going to have to do is quite a bit of fun too.

• The inspiration. There is a loose theme of inspiration running through the four episodes, as the Doctor serves as an inspiration for better or worse for the actions of protagonists AND antagonists. Benny's dig is based entirely around the search for Time Lord technology and the actions of a cult based on a very loose understanding of that race and the Doctor in particular. Alien Defence Incorporated uses the Doctor's reputation for shameless advertising in the knowledge it'll draw the actual Doctor out so they can execute their nefarious plan to try and get him to actually endorse them for real!. But the most blatant inspiration is the one I like the least, as it follows one of my pet peeves in fiction: a character turning out to be responsible for some great (or not so great) act of creation/imagination. The Doctor effectively lays out the entire story of Frankenstein to Mary Shelley, which basically turns Mary Shelley from the creator of one of the most influential and beloved pieces of gothic horror fiction in history (and arguably one of the first great works of Science Fiction) into somebody who just wrote down something around the framework provided by somebody else. It's the kind of thing that bugs me, as I feel it detracts from the person's achievements, but I have to admit loving the Doctor's final line chiding Mary for mixing up the Doctor and the monster's names.

Final Thoughts:

The Company of Friends is an easy listen, broken up as it is into four distinct stories. It can be listened to all in one lot or broken up over days or even weeks, interspersed with other stories for when you want something to listen to but can't commit a couple of hours to a full story. McGann is as always in fine form and it's neat to get a sampler of different companions outside of the usual line-up, especially as they're taken from other media and serve as a nice nod to the existence of these other non-television adventures of the Doctor's, particularly the wilderness years stuff. It's attempts at humor don't always hit, largely because it's four different writers, but that also means that different people will probably find different things funny, and that there's a better chance of there being something for everyone in there. It also introduces a "new" recurring companion for the 8th Doctor, even though it is one we've suspected/had teased ever since McGann's first appearance in Big Finish.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 4, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually got all angry the first time he said it because it's the wrong way around, then I realized that was the joke since he was referring to the events of THEIR story :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well in theory I guess a lot of them could have chosen to starve to death instead? :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm going to go and look up the last time the Doctor started a good proper revolution. I've a nasty lurching feeling that it might just have been The Happiness Patrol...

I was thinking about it and I can't really think of anything he instigated himself. There are a few cases of him toppling a leader like Harriet Jones (former Prime Minister) or supporting in principle revolutionaries like the Ood even if he didn't necessarily agree with their actions, but nothing where he showed up and set about completely upending the entire system largely just because he can.

Edit: Yeah the Gangers is probably the closest thing I can think of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tom Baker could die at any moment! (Source: Tom Baker)

Tom Baker ain't going nowhere (Source: The preposterous notion of a universe without Tom Baker in it)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

like he knows something we don't...

We will never get to kiss him. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

David Suchet :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am furious David Suchet didn't say he knew who Harriet Jones was :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

4/4 now in my opinion, every episode has been good-to-great and this was right up there. Suchet was excellent of course, no surprise there.

Looke posted:

Missy is in the vault, calling it now

I was 50/50 on that until the Doctor mentioned young people dying and,"Round the Mulberry Bush" (or was it Pop Goes the Weasel?) started being played merrily :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 6, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Knock Knock gifs - click to view

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

I really don't get this. Maybe it's nostalgia but I honestly think Series 1 is at the very least in my top 3 favourite seasons of the show. It very much feels like something from 2005 but if you're a Doctor Who fan with no patience for the inadequacies of old TV I would think you'd hate most of the original run as well.

Season 1 is still pretty good I think, but visually it has aged horribly. RTD really revels in reintroducing the Doctor and showcasing us the character in the modern world. I still love their horrified reactions to the police officer who asks (paraphrased),"So you picked up this young girl to travel the world with you for a year without telling her mother.... sir is this a sexual thing?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

It hasn't been mentioned since, but in the first episode, when Bill was looking at pictures of her mother, wasn't there one with her mother and The Doctor?

Bill mentions that she has no pictures of her mother, then goes home where suddenly a box of photos of her mother have been discovered and one of them has a reflection of the Doctor. The idea is pretty clearly supposed to be that he jumped in the TARDIS, went back and befriended Bill's mom and took a bunch of photos of her so he could gift them to Bill as a Christmas Present.

All that said, Bill calling out,"Grandfather!" to him did make me warmly nostalgic for the Hartnell era, and he did quite deliberately look towards a picture of Susan when she asked what it was he saw in her that made him want to tutor her. She isn't his granddaughter, but being stuck on Earth and at a school again obviously has him feeling nostalgic :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Missy and Simm!Master flirt and team up, then Missy KILLS Simm!Master because they can't get along, creating herself.

I swear one of these days I will somehow get my story where two Masters team up and betray each other, and the younger Master somehow gets the upper hand on the older version despite the older version knowing EXACTLY what the younger one is going to do. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

whether you have £10 or £100m

This being Doctor Who, I know which one it probably is! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, come on, let's not exaggerate. There's no way they'd ever give him ten pounds.

I was clearly talking about the entire season!

• Locked thread