Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
They haven't done an episode with Xenophilia yet. That is a barrier that needs to be crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

thexerox123 posted:

Vastra and Jenny?
Or... I guess that's not really an example rooted in reality.

I had forgotten about them, perhaps willfully.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Finally got around to watching the premiere online. Good episode. I enjoyed it. I'm onboard for one last ride with Capaldi's crazy rock and roll magician.

I'm disappointed that the rest of Dalek scene from Pearl Mackie's character reveal video didn't make it into the episode. I know it would have dragged the scene both too long and away from the focus on the real threat, but there was some goddamn great lines in it that I'm sad we lost in the actual episode.

I kinda choked up a bit at the end when the Doctor's waffling on wiping Bill's mind and Clara's theme kicked in. I really hope Jenna Coleman comes back for Capaldi's regeneration scene like Karen Gillan did for Matt Smith's. I just wanna see Clara and Twelve insult one another one last time before the end :(

They don't have to bring back Jenna Coleman, a plank of wood would be an adequate stand-in.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Man, I get the writing was a little all over the place for her at times, but this is just flat out wrong.

We agree to disagree.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Watching someone who has to rapidly switch between being playfully curious, weeping with grief, shouting furiously, and basically just being Matt Smith: dang, this girl is cardboard!!

We see different things. Anyway this risks getting cyclical, so I'll leave it there

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Doctor 1 would be the stern keyboardist, like Ron Mael in Sparks.

Surely Six would be the frontman. He has the flamboyance and as much as I like him, he does love the sound of his own voice!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

docbeard posted:

It is possible that neo-nazis are not the most intelligent and creative people the world has ever known.

I immediately thought of the 88 cannon they used for AA and tanks.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

I don't care what gender, sexuality, colour or whatever 'ism the Doctor is. The important thing it that they are selected because they would make a good Doctor.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Astroman posted:

What if they're blue?

The aliens from Blue by Eiffel 99 have no credibility and should have no part in Dr Who.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

I believe that the British Empire troops definitely had East African troops back then but certainly not integrated into mainline regiments like that one black soldier was.
The Romans used North African auxiliaries though, so the presence of a black legionary makes more sense.

Quite often the extras that the BBC use don't seem to fit the period they are supposed to be appearing in, Robin Hood definitely had this problem too. Many of the people they use look like they have stepped off the Eastenders set.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Not really.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Complaining about "historical accuracy" w/r/t there being "too many people of color" in a show about time-travel and psychic powers is so inane as to beggar belief.

Your belief is easily beggared it would seem.

The series should not be afraid to show that the world was not a good place back then, it isn't a good place now and probably won't ever be since history seems to be cyclical. I'm generally annoyed by the shows glib treatment of history, Gatiss himself portrayed Churchill as a naughty schoolboy when in fact he was a deeply flawed person.

If only the show could be a little braver and not be afraid to tear down monuments.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

And More posted:

I think it's pretty justified in this season, though. Episode three took time to let Bill question the presence of black people in Victorian England and had the Doctor explain: "History's a whitewash." It could very well have been setup for some sort of time traveller plot twist, but if your pet theory got you distracted, that's not the episode's fault. :shrug:

There most certainly were people from many places in Victorian England, especially the port cities.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Just saw the brief clip about Alpha Centauri. Peter Capaldi said "Thats a good thing about this show, it's fun!"

I seemed to have forgotten that in the midst of discussing anachronistic black soldiers.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is an interesting Twitter thread about the whole "black soldier *CONTROVERSY*" thing in the last episode.

Apparently Mark Gatiss was pretty resistant to the casting and only yielded when it turned out it *was* historically accurate:

https://twitter.com/AlishaRai/status/874294273914449921

That picture seems to represent nationalities from across the empire, there are quite a few different types of people represented there.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

No, it was some device that let him see the past and he used it to solve a rape/murder.

The device unhinged him though and transported him through time and space to Gin Alley on Westeros.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

We saw Clara's death on screen. All the adventures she will have as an immortal took place between her last heartbeat. The Clara we saw die was the one who had all those adventures and then returned to the moment of her death after an indeterminate amount of time.

Not that it matters, since this whole argument is ridiculous. Bill is not getting killed off because she's gay or black, and anyone who thinks she is needs to grow up. Bringing up her gender and sexuality constantly, as if she's defined completely by it, is just as harmful as ignoring it altogether. And getting pissy about this sort of thing in an episode of Doctor Who just trivialises real issues.

The obvious solution is to have no gay, black or transgendered characters in the show, so that when they do die, it doesn't really matter.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

docbeard posted:

On a related note, I cannot decide whether a blue person panicking and shooting a black person who was posing him no actual threat is just a coincidence or some of the most subtle and creative satire that Doctor Who has ever done. I'm choosing to think the latter.

Should have been a red person surely?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

The fight on the transmitter tower during Logopolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Excellent episode but I didn't like the zoom into Bill's tearful eye at the end.
The horrible thing about conversion is that it replaces the body with metal and plastic until not much of the original is left. The Mondasian cybermen definitely give that impression.
The look at Bill as a cyberman just gave the impression that she was inside a suit rather than fully converted.

I would like her to survive as herself as well, I just don't know how they will do that without negating what has happened.
If Clara had been converted, I doubt anyone would have been able to tell the difference.

Earlier in the thread before we had seen her, I said that on the strength of the preview clips, I found her irritating.
I'm happy that my first impressions were very very wrong.

• Locked thread