Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I shouldn't be surprised but man this is a good cast, and I'm always happy to see Shea Whigham in anything.

I recently rewatched season 1 and 2, I think that maybe 2 just barely edges out 1 in terms of being my favorite, but they're both so good (and different!) that it feels foolish to try and rank them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was enjoying it but not really feeling it until it hit the back half and stuff started coming together. I love the relationship between Ray and Nikki, I kept expecting one or the other to balk at something the other did or prove to have ulterior motives and instead they just kept backing and supporting each other, culminating in that air conditioner scene.

I really hope Maurice shows up in the next episode in flashback scenes, I really want to see how he "covered" his tracks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Also, it's one episode in and I hope Nikki and Ray(?) get out of this okay

"3rd place runner up :)"
"That's like... the bronze medal!"
"It's thinking like that which is gonna take us to the top!"

:3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sy and Emmit desperately trying to pretend everything is okay is great.

"Oh good, they're here! Remember I said we were expanding the IT Department?"
".....no?"
".....well we are!"

That complete gently caress up when he left the diner parking lot was incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really enjoyed the episode but it felt to me like something that might have been better suited to a little later in the season. That said, it wouldn't have fit for her to find out about Ennis' actual killer and then still head out to LA as it was written. It just felt a little early in the season for me to go on what felt like a somewhat self-contained side-story.

It's placement might make more sense to me in the context of the full season of course, and again it's not like I didn't really enjoy the episode. Especially Cop Mac's disastrous attempt at a date.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That hold on Sy's face as we heard the beating on Nikki was pretty loving incredible.

I was utterly convinced she was dead and I was devastated. In spite of the pretty terrible things they've done (which pales in comparison to Varga's crew) I'm really rooting for Ray and Nikki to actually succeed and be happy together, they're just endearingly sweet idiots. That loving sex tape :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's that moment where they stop to kiss with deep love and passion in the middle of the sex tape, and it's really sweet and adorable until you remember that it's happening in the middle of them loving on tape in order to blackmail his brother.... then it kinda wraps back around to being sweet again :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Get a load of this guy that never watched The Shield

He made you...... SUUUCCCKKKKK!?!!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp time to catch up on the latest episode and see how that endearingly stupid but genuinely loving couple are making out this we... no. NO! :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This only leaves Jimmy and Kimmy over on Better Call Saul as the sweetest couple on television prestige drama.... :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Well, that ain't gonna last forever.

That's what has me worried. At least there'll always be Molly and Gus :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We may be left with Andy and Lucy.

I'm slowly working my way through the second season of Twin Peaks before watching the new season, I have really high hopes for it though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

If you haven't watched Legion it's the show that the people who actually made Fargo great have been focusing their creative efforts on since S2 ended and it's an amazing season of television, you should totally catch up on it if this season of Fargo is feeling lacking.

I'm still really enjoying this season of Fargo but seconding the recommendation of Legion, it's a great show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I'm finding myself rolling my eyes at the constant metaphors and story asides the antagonists seem so fond of (whether it's Varga, Moe, or the Ukrainian). Every conflict has seemingly required them to deliver one and it's gotten a bit tiresome, and I'm really hoping at least one at the end ends with Nikki/Gloria basically going "oh my god WHO CARES" and cutting them off to ice them/arrest them/whatever.

One of my favorite bits of season 2 is when Peggy finally actually manages to articulate how she feels and how unfair society's expectations/demands are and it's all actually quite accurate and compelling but then Lou quite rightly cuts her off immediately with,"People are dead, Peggy. :mad:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh thank God Nikki didn't die

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oliwan posted:

I still don't think it's as good as season 2 (yet), but more and more im thinking that season 2 is an absolute one-a-generation TV masterpiece that will not be equalled any time soon.

Up until a couple of days I would have agreed with you, but then I started watching season 3 of Twin Peaks which is astoundingly great. Fargo Season 2 is utterly incredible though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Having recently watched Wonder Woman, I can only assume that season 3 is a complicated set-up/tie-in to the JLA movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You got arrogant, you didn't account for all the players" was such a great moment. That brief moment of concern that flickered over Varga's face and then his acknowledgement of being outstrategized was so good.

I love that after his big speech to Emmit about true wealth and having the discipline not to flaunt it to keep yourself safe, he's sitting there casually throwing out extra zeroes as incentive to Nikki and she hits him with,"I don't want money. I want to hurt you."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"yes, she truly does love Ray"

I'm so pleased :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Really enjoyed that final scene, and I think it was poetic that Emmit managed to claw his life back and got killed when he felt like he had regained everything he'd lost that was important to him.

I loved that both Gloria and Varga were supremely confident that their version of reality would prove out, and that we didn't get to see which one did. It was a nice bookend to that opening scene where the poor Russian guy is informed that his reality is irrelevant to the facts they have decided to fit him into. There we knew who had the authority to dictate reality, here we're left wondering whether Varga or Gloria are the person who gets to decide what "real" really is.

This is definitely the "weakest" season of Fargo so far. That still makes it very good, just not the tip-top of quality TV drama it's been in the past. I'm not sure if I think they should wrap it up there (this one does end in 2016) or have a shot at another period.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

He had a briefcase full of 'gently caress you' money and was wanted for ?5? murders in that storage facility, plus Emmit was dealing with a bunch of stuff, I'd probably peace out for a while too.

Yeah, they had the printout from the surveillance camera of him, Nikki and Varga so he couldn't stick around (he's also a fugitive in the first place, the US Marshalls were supposed to be looking for him and Nikki).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey.

He.... hey......

He's go.... good.

Good as new.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really dug season 3 but I did feel like Hawley may have stretched himself too thin with that AND Legion in the same year, so I don't mind him taking a little extra time before season 4.

• Locked thread