Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
How come Emmit's lawyer is so baffled by the computer turning off and thought maybe the power went out? I get that it's supposed to illustrate the fact that he's out of touch with the times but it seemed strange that indoor lighting and power outages would be in the same realm of modern technology as Google, especially after the masterful roasting he did on Emmit and Sy. He just didn't seem that dumb when we first met him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who is the wizard you all are referring to?

Paul Marrane, the guy in the bowling alley.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
Varga is Anton Chigurh, the untouchable personification of evil, and Gloria is Tommy Lee Jones, a cop out of her time desperately chasing justice in a world that's left her behind.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yeah, it reminds me of Anton Chigurh's last scene in No Country for Old Men (the car crash one). It shows that Chigurh wasn't some inscrutable, superhuman manifestation of evil or something, he was just some deranged psychopath, just some dude. Once a random distracted driver runs a red light, Chigurh goes down just like anybody else.

In the same way, Varga isn't some evil inscrutable manifestation of uncontrolled economic exploitation and excess, he's just some dude. A great talker who bullshits and scams people, but if you don't let him intimidate you with his empty ramblings, you can arrest and lock him away. The last scene feels like it's trying to destroy this facade that large companies/capital can just engage in economic exploitation and that they/it are totally untouchable to normal people due to their size and structure.(Gloria "Fried Snickers bar" Burgle is the average American personified here)

It also kinda reminded me of Trump a little bit. Once you look past his facade, there is no great businessman there, just some lazy incompetent fool who scams and bullshits people and who inherited everything he has. The criminally rich and the rich criminals are not special or smart, they are just random dudes like everyone else. There are no mysterious Illuminati behind the curtain. Tax or lock up shitheels like Trump and Varga and everything will instantly be better. They can be defeated, if we really choose to.

I interpreted that scene in No Country for Old Men basically the opposite. It reaffirmed Chigurh as an unstoppable force because he gets hit by a car and instead of going down he buys a T-shirt off a kid and hobbles away, alluding capture, as always.

• Locked thread