Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of this episode. It had some good jokes but other than that it was all exposition.

Ei Aoki has real problems with keeping that short and/or interesting. Remember the exposition power hour that kicked off Fate/zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, not the best episode. Pretty slow and not much payoff. Also it's still not really clear what the show wants to do with its setup. There isn't much of a motive for either side to really push things forward.

I'd assume that things are going to come to a head once the reform faction encounter an uncooperative author. They're pretty desperate, by all indications. That, or someone seriously awful is going to get let out of the world of fiction and go on a killing spree.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Any given Berserk character: "You mean... there's no hosed up demons or evil gods here? And everyone isn't constantly getting raped or otherwise brutalized? I AM NEVER GOING BACK gently caress MIDLAND"

It does make you wonder what happens to a work of art when its characters escape from it. Will the authors have to negotiate when their cast goes on strike?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

If only the most popular characters in the most successful franchises are popping into reality, how come none of the real people recognize saber princess? My suspicion is that, similar to Future Diary, she's from some previous revision of the world.

I feel pretty bad for the magical schoolgirl, who is clearly boarding the Madoka suffering train.

It's kind of a tossup whether she's going to get some Madoka-style suffering or her great big PTSD case of a girlfriend is going to get converted to the way of sparkles and unicorns. I mean, they're basically coming at the real world from totally opposite directions.

As for MUP, she's pretty obviously atypical in a lot of ways, and I suspect that includes the nature of her 'birth'. I guess she simply found that popular characters were the easiest to bring over with her, rather than her being popular herself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

For what purpose does Gunpaku Girl want to wreak havoc and destroy the world? Why is Alice so straight-forwardly dense? When are we going to get another fight?

1. Her heavily-implied creator committed suicide, so I'd guess she wants to burn down the world in revenge. What do you do when the rest of Olympus bullies your god to death?

2. It's not that she's dense, it's that she's desperate. Imagine emerging from the world of Berserk and being told that there's someone who can make it less awful with the stroke of a pen. What would you do for that?

3. When Meteora stops talking, which will presumably involve finding someone as serious about gay chicken as she is. The girl with the teeth looks like she's from a Catholic high school, so she might be able to help there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

It's not going to be as simple as burn everything revenge, since she could easily do that on her own and hasn't yet. As far as we know she doesn't even interact with normal people in any way.

She can probably cause a fair amount of destruction just by going out and killing people, but her current M.O. gives her a shot at the collapse of reality itself. Seems a rather bigger prize. Plus, it kind of sounded like she's trying to talk Alice and company into a bit of good old-fashioned terrorism to speed things along, so I'd assume the 'directly hurting people' bit is soon to come.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You do kind of feel like they could have shown a good chunk more of this rather than telling it - Meteora's emotional experience playing that game, for instance. It doesn't help, either, that the main expositor is the long-winded, soft-spoken stoic, which makes the whole thing a rather soporific experience - if such a huge chunk of your episode is going to be one person talking, at least make them interesting to listen to, or just lighten their burden a little and give them a good foil to bounce off. We actually saw that with the knight and magical girl - there was an interesting conflict there, and significantly more passion and emotion from both parties, which made the whole thing way more pleasant to experience, and they didn't even have to skip out on the cute food bits to make it happen. I could hear my creative-writing professor howling in the back of my head all the way through the first part of this episode.

The other thing was that it didn't really feel like the characters had enough information to arrive at the conclusion they did. It's not like we've seen any evidence of reality overstretch yet, after all. It felt less like a smart deduction, and more like they'd glanced ahead at the author's notes.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 30, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume that either Rui or Selesia is going to go rogue at some point? They're the only two members of the cast with giant robots, and we all know what that means.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can't help but wonder if Meteora will end up replacing MUPpet as the main villain eventually. There's not much hard evidence for it (and especially not much that can't be dismissed as simple bad writing), but it does make a weird kind of sense, cobsidering how she seemed to reach such an odd (and accurate) conclusion so quickly and easily about MUP's endgame, her being a side-character who somehow managed to reach the real world, the way she stole all those JSDF munitions (which I can't help but suspect will turn up in MUP's terrorist campaign), and generally how she's drawing so much trust and power around herself despite not being one of the protagonists.

I feel it could be a pretty cool twist, at least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Someone pointed out to me that the last episode had ten animation directors.

It seems like the animation studio bit off more than they could chew.

That's interesting, because it's almost entirely by the same team as Aldnoah Zero, which was good-looking all the way through despite being far more action heavy. Has Hiroe done much anime writing before, or was he purely a mangaka? Because script delays can really squeeze a production. That, or being two-cour rather than split-cour is screwing their scheduling.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, someone translated all that text about MUP at the end of the last episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

As far as I know he's a pure mangaka.

Although, it's not like mangaka are renowned for missing deadlines.

True, but anime is a quite different format to write for, and that'll slow you down regardless of your work ethic. He's already apologised for making the show a bit too talky, which is a common pitfall - comics don't have text delivered in real-time, so big speeches have much less of an impact on a chapter's pacing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's kind of interesting how completely garbage in a fight the protagonist animes are. Life sucks when you're a mech pilot without a mech and a story exposition NPC and you're forced to fight people who were actually written to be good at fighting on foot.

I imagine the JoJo escapee will end up as a major asset, though. Well, him and Mamika.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dessel posted:

Is there a discussion/analysis somewhere about where the each characters are taking notes from? It's kinda unsettling how some of these characters feel so familiar but not quite so.

The new character feels threatening in a Fate/Stay -esque manner, and the fictional anime poster looked like it was heavily inspired by Baccano! (it's in the OP)

They're simply inspired by popular archetypes, though there have been a few joking suggestions from fans about which particular characters folks are based on:

https://twitter.com/gabbomatic/status/863483572577079297

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I don't really get it--Black Lagoon had excellent dialogue.

I can't help but suspect that much of that was masterful adaptive scripting in the dub. They rewrote a lot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Why does the grizzled old man who fights with a gun have the ability to fly? This seems fundamentally wrong to me, genre-wise. I mean, yeah, sci-fi, but not everyone needs to fly in fiction! Selesia flying is already kind of weird since she doesn't seem to use magic or anything!

Gravity manipulation seems to be his entire thing. I guess we're looking at a sci-fi/fantasy noir character like Batou from Ghost in the Shell or Hellboy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Batou and Hellboy can't fly either.

Flying doesn't fit well with grizzled.

Well, there's always Hannibal King, the vampire private eye. He can fly. Harry Dresden could probably fly too, if he put his mind to it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Of course the Madoka refugee does a grand heroic sacrifice to save the embittered, doomed warrior she's got an unspoken crush on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It wasn't just being talky. It was being the bad kind of talky.

David Mamet once wrote a memo about this kind of thing that made the rounds on the 'net. Basically, every scene should be dramatic. Every scene should be characters advancing to or being set back from a specific goal with clear, emotionally involving stakes. So, Ghost in the Shell's internet forum episode? Good. We know what both sides want (Information on the Laughing Man, with the Major having the side goal of preventing anyone else from piecing too much together.), we know what happens if they can't accomplish it (the Laughing Man's crime sprees continue, the Major has to arrest or kill some nerd for knowing too much.) and the whole episode is spent with people debating their way to their goal.

The Meteora exposition?

Abysmal.

There's no drama, and no conflict. They were already planning to take down MUP because come on, she could not be broadcasting "Would-be evil overlord" more if you paid her, so there's no practical change to anyone's goals if she's planning to destroy the universe or just drive up rents in Shibuya. No-one bounces off her, no-one has goals that get advanced or hindered because of the scene, nothing HAPPENS.

Also, the viewer surrogate is just the pits for the first half dozen episodes, minimum. Haven't caught up with the last few, but from what I've seen, he doesn't get better.

They've at least explained what his deal is - he's unhelpful to the heroes, but mostly because he's a giant blob of PTSD who's pretty sure he helped drive his friend/girlfriend to suicide, and can't admit his connection to Altair because it would involve admitting to the awful poo poo he believes he's responsible for. He's basically a somewhat sympathetic minor antagonist at this point.

Bad news is that it looks like they've killed off an interesting character who looks like they were set up to be part of one of the show's cuter couples.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

this is anime, knight-lady is probably 17 at most

Yeah, I figured she was pretty young - she reads very much as an angry teenager in over her head. Especially since her being a child soldier seems like exactly the sort of overwrought tragedy that her creator would dump on her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paragon1 posted:

She's probably fine.

Glasses kid should totally date shark tooth girl.

You're only saying this because he'd get gruesomely murdered halfway through the second date, aren't you?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I'll just come out and say it; this show is way to self-serious for something as inherently wacky as "anime/video game characters invade the real world." Cliche as it is, there been almost no strangers in a strange land moments, most everyone adapted to modern Japanese society quickly and easily, and eight episodes in there have only been three real, brief fights. It's all po-faced speeches about reality breaking down and "no, I hate this rotten world, DAD!"

There is a sense of humour in the show, but it's drier and more subtle than is common in this kind of anime. Consider things like Selesia's window-opening method, Meteora's exposition being played over games of gay chicken, and Matsubara asking Yuuya to spare his author's head and writing hand when he beat him into a pulp.

Hell, the very existence of Magane is a sure sign the staff aren't taking the show too seriously.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't know, Magane has her cutesy wacky kooky speech patterns/behavior but she's not really played as not serious. She's a psychotic murderer who has horribly killed two people on screen.

This is a Rei Hiroe script. Watch Black Lagoon, especially the Greenback Jane arc, and you'll see that that is no obstacle to being the comic relief.

Magane is dangerous, certainly, but she's used to poke fun at the rest of the cast (see also, simply walking off when Meteora opened her mouth), and the camera and animation get a whole lot sillier when she's on-screen - apart from her wild, cartoony expressions and body language, don't forget that she was introduced with a cheerful rear end shot. She's a monster, but one whose presence tends to play up the campy, self-aware side of the show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

We're all hating on the show because the writing is godawful. Everything feels like the screenwriter is forcibly steering the characters into unreasonable behaviour, just so the plot can move in whatever direction he is dead set on. It results in a sense of people being artificial and frustrating to watch. There's little joy in watching idiots act stupid over and over.

Well, most of the time. JiWaWaWa is a thing that exists. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What gets to me is that this show seems to be bad in a quite different way to the team's last project, Aldnoah. That at least had big twists and poo poo happening at a respectable rate - in particular, the fights had some weight to them, because even if the enemy was just some monster of the week, you could be mostly sure that someone wouldn't be coming out alive, and there was always a chance it would be someone important.

I suspect that this may be part of the reason for the cast expanding - they want room for people to start dying in significant numbers, whether they be old characters or new.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I didn't know you could post from North Korea.

I don't believe that the Korean War had much to do with Kim Il-sung's ability to drop sick burns on chatrooms. Could be wrong, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Liver Disaster posted:

All this talk of wasted potential but the Wizard Barristers, Benmashi Cecil hype train crashed so hard from so high everyone forgot about it.

It didn't start out all that high, IIRC. But dang, did it find new ways to be bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Got any examples? Sounds like a remarkable trainwreck.

Episode 11 is the standout, in which they try to tell the dramatic climax of a not-especially-coherent story and make us feel for a bunch of flat, uncharismatic characters despite literally not animating half of it. Like, every ten seconds they'll cut to a shot of a drab brick wall. It's the sort of clusterfuck that's difficult to forget.

EDIT: OK, let's go into a little more detail. In Episode 11, Cecil, the rookie wizard barrister who's our protagonist, is not having a good day. Her slimy, double-dealing boyfriend has betrayed her, and handed her over to the main villain. It turns out that her incredible, super-special magic powers are because she's the key to the gate of hell, so he's going to sacrifice her to summon Satan. So the episode opens with her about to have horrible things happen to her while her friends mount an all-out assault on the villain's headquarters. Slimy boyfriend decides he isn't OK with her getting murdered after all, and gets shot for his trouble. It's unclear how bad we are supposed to feel about this. Despite the best efforts of the secondary cast, the ritual goes ahead, but - quelle surprise - it doesn't work, because Satan has already been summoned. Turns out that she is the enthusiastically gay veteran barrister in Cecil's firm who keeps trying to feel her up, and was just chilling on Earth minding her own business (and groping teenage lawyers, because you've got to have a hobby). She frees Cecil, kisses her, and wanders off. Cecil summons her giant robot (yes, a wizard lawyer has a giant robot, yes, it is a regular fixture of the series) and duels the villain in a spectacular mecha battle above Tokyo, because he also has a giant robot. She defeats him, he surrenders, and - gasp! - he requests her as his defence lawyer in his upcoming trial. Cue the postscript episode.

Picture all of that in your mind. Now picture it when every other animation cut is a lengthy shot of a wall, the night sky, or a metal fence on the roof of a building. It's quite something.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 22, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dzhay posted:

...why are you in this thread?

This plan of theirs seems... convoluted. Why not just try to make the public perception Altair sillier and/or worse?

Why would a change like that be popular?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Which show's that?

Maybe they're referring to the ongoing debate about how Attack on Titan wants us to feel about its use of fascist imagery?

For the record, the current answer seems to be 'about as comfortable as you should be with the chief of state in Fullmetal Alchemist being called the Fuhrer - which is to say, not at all', but the jury's still out, and will likely be so for a while.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yeah but the government's both suck and are super evil, so I don't think either idealize fascism. Plus technically it's a monarchy in AoT. FMA they committed genocide constantly to create a God, and the entire narrative shits on the military constantly, we just see the few ok Nazis.

Also forever I thought his title was fuhrer king until I later found out years down the road that king was his first name.

That was what I said in that post, yes.

Mordja posted:

I never understood the argument that AOT was pro-fascist, especially considering the way the latest season literally humanizes the enemy.

As I said, it uses a lot of fascist imagery, people were antsy about one of the major heroic authorities being designed after the governor of occupied Korea and another being a blond guy called Erwin, and a recent-ish arc involved the military overthrowing the corrupt civilian government and putting a junta in its place. Plus, it was early in the series, so we hadn't yet been shown how we were supposed to feel about the world we had been shown. It's easy to see now that Isayama is unlikely to be engaging in fascist apologia, but it's equally easy to see why the debate started in the first place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Yeah, a guy called Erwin in a series where names like Berthold and Reiner are commonplace, that sounds mighty suspicious and like a political agenda

A genius, Aryan-as-gently caress military commander called Erwin fighting a race of cannibalistic subhumans. Context matters, and at first glance, that's a pitch that looks like it rolled straight out of a Tom Kratman novel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I think you mixed up "sub" and "super".

Eh, it's a matter of perspective. They're big and fast, but this is not exactly my idea of the next step in human evolution.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm imagining the porno girl yelling about the new flesh while a magical girl emerges from her chest alien style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yxVG46ZYrg

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I had almost forgotten about Chaika. Now that was a show that (almost) never pulled its punches.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Magane pretty explicitly got out of dodge instead of show up for the final battle and risk her life. The last we saw of her she was getting on a plane to who knows where to enjoy her life. She obviously wasn't coming back.

She is getting her own spin-off manga though.

Wouldn't that just be Murcielago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Yeah, the show's really huge issue was that it seemed like Hiroe wrote the beginning and ending and then had no idea how to get from one to the other.

The show's really huge issue was that it was a show about writing by a team who drastically overestimated their combined writing talents.

• Locked thread