Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It does make you wonder what happens to a work of art when its characters escape from it. Will the authors have to negotiate when their cast goes on strike?

If it worked that way, you'd be pretty hard pressed to get the bodycounts some genres need.

It's rare enough to find someone willing to die for their own art. Dying for some rear end in a top hat who's the architect of all your suffering's art is not going to be a growth industry.

Caught up. Pretty talky so far, and not always in a good way, but it's fun enough I'm on board.

(And for my vote, the best anime character for this kind of thing is Saitama. Godlike power combined with equally godlike ability to not give a poo poo means that he'd probably just crash at ONE's home and play videogames.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

anyway there could be a bit more action and i guess the pacing in general could be a bit faster but the stuff in these super chill episodes is so sweet and adorable, even between some of the bad guys, that it doesn't bother me. the cast has so much personality and everyone bounces off each other so well that it's just fun to watch them all just chill out together

I'd say there's at least one glaring exception. The milquetoast everyteen is definitely not showing his value.

Everyone else, even though I'm not particularly gung-ho for the show in general right now, has some dynamics that show promise if the show can either get past the endless exposition or play it out smoother, light novel writer and illustrator included. Sōta Mizushino, on the other hand, is just a boring void. We're four episodes in. By this point, there should be enough of a hook to justify his existence, even if he's just being set up for a twist later. He's almost completely empty of screentime, and he hasn't even earned the tiny bit he's still getting!

(Also, if military uniform princess really wants to destroy all reason and logic to reset the world, she should have summoned Inferno Cop. Things would be done inside five minutes.

Of course, it would also probably put her at severe risk of JUSTICE!, but you can't expect to destroy the world if you aren't willing to chance that kind of thing.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Actually, the entire show seems to be a metaphor about getting him out of his artistic slump and into creating again. I'm not sure that makes his presence worthwhile, but the way I see it the show is ultimately about him and only him. Everyone else is just there to inspire him.

That's about as far from an argument in the show's favor as you get before moving to outright insults.

If he's just a narrator and an audience surrogate, it's a mark against the show that he's dull as store brand dishwater, but it's not a fatal one. The show can flesh out the rest of the cast and lean into their interactions, leaving the-man-who-would-be-boring-as-hell irrelevant.

But if the show's about him, it's hosed. We're about 20% in, and I don't care if he lives or dies, let alone if he gets out of his slump. Every other character is more interesting than him right now, and it's not like the cast is all strong competition for Reigen Arataka. I've seen characters whose whole schtick is being boring who are more compelling.

Seriously, we're four episodes in, and what do we have beyond "He used to do drawings. Now he does not."?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I badly want her to have been totally wrong. That'd be a good and fun twist.

It'd be a good and fun twist to quicker exposition.

Spending half an episode on explaining a theory that isn't even true would be... a questionable decision. Especially when that time could be spent on her playing videogames.

(Seriously, we get great potential internal conflicts for her and Silensia, and they get dealt with in one episode each, in the least interesting manner available. Someone trying to comprehend the nature of her dead god is the good poo poo, but we don't even get a whole episode's worth of examination before reaching the end of the arc.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mirage posted:

I think Meteora was just playing to type: the mystical end-game librarian who infodumps the living poo poo out of everything.

You know, that reminds me of another missed opportunity.

She's the main NPC in a game that looks to be a first person dungeon crawler. Meaning the hero has no defined and concrete identity separate from the player, which means that Captain Boring is simultaneously (due to having played it) The Hero, her first and only friend at the end of all things, and, well, a loser teenager who has no combat capabilities whatsoever. There's some interesting places you can go with that, and it gives you some room to flesh the guy out through natural character interaction.

But no. She just plays the game herself. Offscreen.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This show is kind of frustrating right now.

It avoids a lot of the obvious pitfalls, it has interesting ideas and it has moments that show it can be fun and clever...

But it it doesn't flow, and spends huge portions of episodes on exposition, just slopped on down without style or grace. It's moving at a respectable speed when you look strictly at what happened, but the delivery style makes everything feel so much slower than it should.

Not dropping it yet, but it'd be nice if it either got better or it went for the amusing kind of bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

because he's a useless little weiner that the other, better characters drag around for no particular reason. if he did something useful then that would betray the basis of his character.

A reminder: By six episodes in,:

Madoka Kamane had saved the life of one of her closest friends at great personal risk and accidentally revealed one of the horrifying truths of the setting
Atsuko "Akko" Kagari finally knuckled down and realized she'd have to work her rear end off if she wanted to make her dreams come true
Yes I'm Kazuma had died, defeated one of the world's greatest warriors, killed a demon general, and convinced the wonderful world at large he was a total turboperv
Luluco had saved a third of her father's brain and accidentally tossed her hometown halfway across the universe in her attempts to protect it from her space pirate mother
And Naota Nandaba stepped up to the plate and knocked one out of the park.

Meanwhile, Sōta Mizushino has... refused to relay information that could be vital to the continued existence of the human race.

Yeah. He's not exactly setting a new quality record for everyman leads, is he?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

I never watched the dub, but I'm pretty sure it was still well written. And goddamn concise, too.

There were scenes where the whole gag was a character being a blowhard who talks too much that were more concise than the average Re:Creators exposition scene.

It's deeply weird.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Gravity manipulation seems to be his entire thing. I guess we're looking at a sci-fi/fantasy noir character like Batou from Ghost in the Shell or Hellboy.

Batou and Hellboy can't fly either.

Flying doesn't fit well with grizzled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a kitten posted:

Seems as though some are really unsatisfied with the pace and/or overly talkiness of some of the episodes, but so far i really like it.

It wasn't just being talky. It was being the bad kind of talky.

David Mamet once wrote a memo about this kind of thing that made the rounds on the 'net. Basically, every scene should be dramatic. Every scene should be characters advancing to or being set back from a specific goal with clear, emotionally involving stakes. So, Ghost in the Shell's internet forum episode? Good. We know what both sides want (Information on the Laughing Man, with the Major having the side goal of preventing anyone else from piecing too much together.), we know what happens if they can't accomplish it (the Laughing Man's crime sprees continue, the Major has to arrest or kill some nerd for knowing too much.) and the whole episode is spent with people debating their way to their goal.

The Meteora exposition?

Abysmal.

There's no drama, and no conflict. They were already planning to take down MUP because come on, she could not be broadcasting "Would-be evil overlord" more if you paid her, so there's no practical change to anyone's goals if she's planning to destroy the universe or just drive up rents in Shibuya. No-one bounces off her, no-one has goals that get advanced or hindered because of the scene, nothing HAPPENS.

Also, the viewer surrogate is just the pits for the first half dozen episodes, minimum. Haven't caught up with the last few, but from what I've seen, he doesn't get better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Alice is a super strict and honorable knight lady from a world where the enemies appear to just be incredibly powerful monsters, so I doubt there's much political intrigue going on in her source material. She's probably not used to people logic puzzling her.

Pretty odd all the same. I can't think of many manga with crappy monster filled medieval settings without nobles willing to screw everyone else over in exchange for a few more seconds before getting eaten. Heroes in those things tend to spend as much time getting undermined by the people they're supposedly protecting as they do getting attacked by the actual monsters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Episodes being entirely pointless? In this anime? Say it isn't so :v:

That's one of the worst things about the fights in this show, I think. Nothing really happens with most of them.

Let's compare to, oh, LWA, with the Amanda episode. The fight at the end had clear stakes (if Amanda lost, she'd be tortured. She wins, she's got the rights to the Holy Grail.) and a clear conclusion (Amanda kicked the dude's rear end, even when someone summoned a suit of magic armor).

Most fights in this are just kind of... there. No clear consequences for victory or defeat, and they mostly end with people running off to lick their wounds. (It's also a reminder why most shows have grunts, redshirts, and similar disposables. If the stakes are supposed to be life and death, it's useful to have someone who can die without major narrative impact.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Yeah this poo poo sucks rear end and I knew i shouldn't have wasted my time on it. bye.

I kinda dropped it at episode 5, but I'm not sure I'd say it sucks rear end, and that's part of why it's so frustrating.

It's just disappointing. Not even the interesting kind of bad, but... boring.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Mediocrity, universally, is the worst fate a medium can suffer, a fate worse than even infamy.

Of course.

As a wise man once said, infamous is reserved for when you're more than famous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

darkgray posted:

We're all hating on the show because the writing is godawful. Everything feels like the screenwriter is forcibly steering the characters into unreasonable behaviour, just so the plot can move in whatever direction he is dead set on. It results in a sense of people being artificial and frustrating to watch. There's little joy in watching idiots act stupid over and over.

Counterargument: Konosuba.

(Admittedly, Kazuma would have sorted out the whole mess in a matter of minutes, because Kazuma is actually invaluable in a crisis. It's everywhere else he fucks up.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I like the way this show is making the characters all look like idiots in their own way. It goes to show why having only main characters can be a clusterfuck. You gotta have sidekicks and supporting characters to make a story.

Main characters are sometimes quite clever, though. Even ignoring operator types like the Major where "exceedingly competent" is a core trait, there are plenty of characters like Satou Kazuma, who has a running gag where, apart from the baggage of his psychotic allies, he cleans house.

Moreover, there's plenty of cases where a main in one story can be a sidekick in another. With Konosuba, you got Megumin's spinoff novels. Or you can look at Planetes, where Ai goes from supporting cast in the manga to the main POV for the first leg of the anime, and where you've got Fee, who's able to hold the spotlight with ease whenever it's her story, but who's mostly in the background.

Easy enough to do the same with protagonists from different genres. A cyberpunk detective is going to hold the center stage for a murder mystery, with a magical girl providing supporting duties as she learns how cruel the world is, but he's not going to be able to hold his own nearly so well when it turns into a flying laser fight. Ensemble casts, you know? Everyone plays support for everyone else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also even if Mamika hadn't died (largely to justify Alice's dumb crusade for REVEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGE) there's only so much credit I can give to a character who basically just reads the cliff notes to Madoka Magica.

And I mean it's a good rendition of Madoka and all but if all they're gonna do is run through the same beats on fast forward without adding anything other than forced melodrama that's only gonna fly so far.

The really irritating thing was, if Mamika had lived, she'd have to have carved her own path. Madoka's arc ended in apotheosis, and that wouldn't work here. But instead, death.

I mean, there's all the angles just dangling there. Unlike most of the characters, Mamika explicitly comes from a softer world. Her creator already gave her what Alice wants for free. I don't think they met up, which could be interesting either as "I wanted to make something inspirational" or "Honestly? You were a paycheck". Plus, the net result of her trials was taking someone with the power and the will to help people, and putting her in a position where she had to re-evaluate her methods. Lots of room to maneuver there.

But no.

Dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Remember when Fractale was supposed to save anime*?

*according to Yamakan, anyway

Meanwhile, Madoka's team cheerily announced that, while they wanted to make something good, hell yes they were merchandising this brightly colored show about middle school girls fighting monsters.

They had the sense to realize anime was going to be saved on Christmas Eve 2012.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dzhay posted:

So it seems glasses boy is even less responsible for his idiot friend's death than we thought...

(Also, lol, someone said they'd make the wiki)

It's impressive, really. If he'd been more of a piece of poo poo, he'd be much more likable.

Someone ruins his best friend's life, she commits suicide? Yeah, that's something to give a guy a guilt complex and an understandable reluctance to get involved in poo poo since, you know, last time he left his best friend dead and now maybe caused the apocalypse.

With the current setup, he's just a guy who's physically incapable of stepping up to the plate and swinging.

In a show full of bad decisions, everything about him is a standout.

We're talking an ostensible protagonist who makes Hamlet look like Othello.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caphi posted:

There's a lot of text spilled about how Sota is a designated hero with little real influence on the plot, but apart from that (and now that it seems to be looking up) I think Selesia, who seems to be the main heroine and main fighting protagonist, hasn't done anything except swing her sword and get tweethacked since episode 2.

Also accurate. Which is a big part of why I'm so skeptical of "No, it's good and it's just more realistic and subtle about Sota's arc". Show fucks up too many other ways to trust that it's just having difficulty conveying one point because we're all expecting something standard anime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think wizard barristers had much hype after the first episode.

Yeah, the unusual thing about Re: CREATORS is that it hasn't hard crashed. It's just been slowly more disappointing.

Mostly, shows settle into a niche pretty quick, but this has seemingly been perpetually in the "Maybe it'll get going soon?" area. Which means more disappointment, since it's slow disappointment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It didn't start out all that high, IIRC. But dang, did it find new ways to be bad.

Got any examples? Sounds like a remarkable trainwreck.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

The show has suddenly become amazing.

The show's never been short on interesting ideas. It's always been the execution where it falters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Is Magane's power to make anything real if people deny it? I.e. if she says "there's a giant penis flying through the sky" and you say "no there's not" there will suddenly be a giant sky dildo? That seems like the sort of thing that would be really good up until people figured out how it worked, at which point it would become utterly useless against all but the most incompetent opponents (that mind control guy from My Hero Academia has that same problem; if he ever becomes a famous hero, his power will become useless).

So I ended up not watching the rest of the episodes last night, so I'm still at episode 10. I really hope that the MC literally told suicide girl "go kill yourself" before she suicided, because at least then he would have a legitimate reason for being ashamed and wanting to hide it from people, but I have a feeling that he did something far more benign that allows him to maintain some sort of plausible deniability in terms of his moral rectitude.

In general this show feels really awkward. So little happens! I was giving it the benefit of the doubt for the first several episodes, but it's amazing how little has happened so far. I think that it could be summed up as:

- Animes arrive in real world
- Animes meet their creators
- People discuss the grand plan of Uniform Princess
- People determine the identity of Uniform Princess
- Mamika gets turned into a shish kebab by Uniform Princess

I feel like everything up until episode 10 could have been condensed into just 3 or 4 episodes, easily.

And there isn't that much character development, either. It's just space filled with nothing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Yea but i'm not watching TV anymore nowadays, so i only know what was on 20 years ago :v:

The SImpsons is still on.

The Simpsons will always be on.

Also, Sota apparently topped the Newtype polls this month. I haven't watched the last few episodes, so did I miss him suddenly being replaced by Reigen Arataka or Joseph Joestar or summat when I wasn't looking? Because otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's not just that he's bland, but he also doesn't, you know, accomplish anything. He's just there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

How big is Marvel/DC stuff in the East?

In Japan?

Reasonably big. Spider-Man had a fairly popular TV show back in the 70s, Avengers made 45 million, there's a lot of influence visible in current manga, especially My Hero Academia...

If you're a nerd in Japan, you almost certainly can pick at least a couple of the big names out of a lineup, even if you don't know the finer details.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

The male Newtype polls have always been dominated by the absolute most tedious, milquetoast, boringest-common-denominator bullshit like him, the brown haired Gundam Destiny, the Black Swordsman who is actually a lovely nerd and not a swordsman, Light Novel Hero X, etc.

I like to think that the only times there's an actually cool dude on there it's because all the horny fangirls are expressing their thirst. God bless 'em!

But most Light Novel Hero X types get girls and kick asses. Like, Kirito's an awful character, but I can see the fantasy. (Because I am Good At Videogames, women want me and men want to be me. The government will pay me money because I am so good at games, and I will be a hero.)

Sota doesn't even have that appeal.

I don't get it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

is it really that hard to believe that a character who is creatively in a rut and has what could be considered some form of depression is relatable/enjoyable from a newtype reader's perspective

A guy in a rut with depression being enjoyable and relatable? Why yes, I have watched One Punch Man.

Why do you bring it up in the context of Sota?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, it's dumb, but the more the mechanics are revealed, the more certain I am that Saitama would gently caress everything up.

Altair's so powerful because people pretty much go "Yeah, sure, whatever" to any arbitrary ability. But Saitama's whole thing is being stronger than his opponents, this goofy looking bald dude with a dumb backstory who defeats everyone and is disappointed. Where Altair can normally get anything elaborately fan animated accepted, anything against Caped Baldy would probably draw "You know he'd win, right? That's what he does. In one punch."

A situation that requires thought and planning and meta-textual shenanigans reduced to just punching, because man. That dude is good at punching.

(He's also quite good at cutting through talky bullshit, which this show dearly needs someone to do.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caphi posted:

I'm already really sick of

"Have you heard about what Sota's doing?"
"No, what?"
[smash cut]
"Wow, that's a kuhrazy idea. Probably too crazy to work."

He should only have people talking about his crazy ideas if he's visibly doing something crazy.

Like dressing as Doraemon and shoving high schoolers off a bridge alongside the Yakuza, or getting into hundred man arm wrestling competitions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kyte posted:

That aside, I feel like a lot of people here are trying to get from this anime something it's not trying to be. Yes, it definitely gave off the vibe it was meant to be more action oriented, but if 15 episodes didn't disabuse you of that notion shouldn't the problem be in you?

What is it trying to be, then? Because mostly, it seems to be a big wad of nothing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

If they were more cavalier about killing character the large cast wouldn't be a problem.

They don't even have to be more cavalier about murdering the cast (although that wouldn't hurt). The problem is a lack of any kind of prioritization.

Like, you listed out every character in Mob Psycho 100, you'd have a pretty decent sized list with Claw and the Body Improvement Club and the Telepathy Club and the second rate Espers Ritsu hung out with. But the show always knew what it was about. It's about Mob, and the main supporting character is Reigen. They're in focus from the start, and if things move over to someone else, their deal is clearly and succinctly covered.

Here, the only character with any development is also the only one who, you know, died.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Iretep posted:

To amuse herself that she could im guessing.

The question isn't why the character did it. It's why the writers did. Having a whole subplot go like this feels... pointless.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

but i think at this point it's fair to give a viewpoint and like. I didn't hate the show but it needed more restraint, guidance, and pruning to make what it was going for clearer. Almost the entire cast seemed to only have their functions half fulfilled. Selesia was cool and all at first but with how she went out I'm genuinely not sure why she was in the show. Yuuya had a moment later on that was fun but he existed almost solely to justify people fighting for the first half. Magane had all the makings of a great character but her ultimate influence feels weak. I think the show was ultimately actually about resolving Sota's feelings but he's such a non-character that it's hard to care about them. They needed to merge, collate, draw more parallels, something to prevent a cast of very half-boiled individuals, otherwise you've got a show that feels all over the place. I think Troyca's a studio that has a lot of possibility and some really good pitches and playbooks but they're so weak when it comes to actual writing and directing that their short tenure has felt like a library of interesting and wasted ideas. music was good, art looked fine, which helps typically.

Honestly, I'd go as far as to say some of the characters weren't just unneeded, but actively detrimental to the show's intended goals.

Like, Mamika and Alice. What did they do to influence the story's course? About jack and poo poo. Provided some prospective on how creations could interact with the world, then got murdered by Altair.

But they did make for relatively likable and sympathetic characters, with better arcs than most of the cast, so it seems fair to say they got some share of viewer investment. And when a cute and innocent hero gets murdered by someone when she was just trying to help, and when her girlfriend's vengeance kick is no-sold, that's pretty textbook buildup to the aforementioned villain getting her teeth kicked in. Villain kills someone you like, you want them dead, narrative trick as old as the hills.

Which means when the show doesn't go that way, and gives her a happy ending and everything she wants... well, who knows what the finale'll do, but right now it seems like a bit of a disconnect between intentions and likely audience reactions. Maybe they had some brilliant plan in mind. Given the rest of the show, I have my doubts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

I've gotten a good amount of entertainment out of trying to figure out why this is bad.
So I guess it was worth watching it for that? Damning it with faint praise.

It had a few nice moments, but it really needed an editor to tell the writers to gently caress off and settle on 12 episodes. And even that would only serve to alleviate its most obvious flaw.
I have to agree with those that said it was just going through the motions.

Can't wait for the end of the year and the annual worst anime thread, since this seems like a good one to talk about in that context.

I mean, I think we'll want to wait for the final episode before saying exactly how it hosed up every which way but loose. But yeah, right now it seems like it's all epilogue, and that's weird. Even most shows that have a decent sized denouement only dedicate half an episode to it. No point in killing the tension with an episode to go.

But, really, not knowing what the hell it's about seems to be one of the big Re:creators issues in general. Like, Selesia. Gets played like the lead for most of the show, jobs in every single fight, and then dies to an irrelevant mid-boss. Or Mamika and Alice, big subplot, more character development than anyone else in the cast, dead with no influence on the main flow of events except to make them feel more like a cheat. Last episode might try to explain some of it, but as is... no idea what they were playing at.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HenryEx posted:

They didn't forget Magane; she shows up in Sota's picture of "Our Beloved Family" in the end :what:

Where she's the only one with a nose, further confirming she's better than the rest of these losers.

Honestly, from some of the preview shots I'd thought they were going with the cop-out bring-every-back-to-life bit, which, you know, is a cop out, but with how the show had been treating death already, didn't seem too out of step. Probably would reduce the anger at Altair getting away with everything, and flow better with an empty happy ending. Also would be something happening in the finale. Wasn't thinking it'd be good, but it might have been the right call.

They didn't make that call.

This is the way the show ends, then. With no explanations, ignored plot threads, and Sota still being boring. I wish I could be surprised.

But even if, by some miracle, the show worked, it didn't do jack to justify calling it a story to surpass all stories. Why hype yourself up like that for The Last Action Hero But Anime? Only giving people more ammo to skewer you with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

I agree, no idea why they gave Sota so much screentime

I'd say Sota was the only impressively bad character. I mean, not that anyone was particularly great either, but mostly they were just standard boring with nothing to do. If there was a good anchor, they'd be... fine. Disappointing, but fine.

But Sota is loving terrible. We've got shows like FLCL, Konosuba, My Hero Academia, and loving Black Lagoon showing that an everyman protagonist can be interesting, useful, and dynamic, but Sōta Mizushino just... sucks. A lot. He doesn't even earn his big win at the end, instead relying on Magane to handle the groundwork.

I'm not saying he's the worst protagonist of all time or anything, but even by bad protagonist standards he's unusually boring.

• Locked thread