Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah that's exactly how I feel, it's frustrating to hear the play get miscalled but Romanuk has no excuse.

What bothers me most about Romanuk is how often he veers into armchair GM/coach territory when filling in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Goodbye Burke-atar, hello new hotness

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Loqieu posted:

a viewing party outside

They're in Edmonton

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Welcome back Paulocaust!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Hold onto your butts Caps and Leafs fans. Tim Peel is working Game 2.

I, for one, look forward to Paulocaust's post-game recap

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

N: Roman Polak has been holding back the Maple Leafs.

I mean, yeah.

Marincin also looks like trash. Also goddamn Babs, play Carrick.

Looking forward to the Alexey Marchenko/Martin Marincin experience on Monday. Dark horse would be to call up Oleksy for some former Caps revenge but I'm pretty sure he sucks.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I'm looking at the Marlies roster for the first time ever, perusing the options at right D and...Alex Gudbranson maybe? His brother was drafted high, I think.

One of the guys doesn't even have his place of birth listed. UNKNOWN SPECIMEN.

You're thinking Erik Gudbranson, they're unrelated I think. -e- Never mind, totally brothers. But he sucks

People are talking Dermott or Holl but I don't know how bad the Leafs want to throw some of these guys into their first ever game. Valiev's probably in the ring too.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Andersen is a league-average starter in his career and isn't very young, I don't understand the weird insistence that he's secretly a top goalie in the league. If another goalie in this market let that OT goal from game 1 in he'd be getting crucified.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

a neat cape posted:

I was upset when the Ducks got rid of him but ate crow pretty quickly

He's absolutely an NHL starter, but the guy evenly split months this season between .930 and sub .900, and people want to talk like the bad games never happen. If he was a true .920+ goalie the Leafs wouldn't be playing the Caps to begin with. He's made some great saves but he's also been extremely fortunate so far, in addition to giving up poor goals.

I think it's pretty funny to call people out for not watching him when he's actually been inconsistent all year and has a lot more Halak than Hasek in his performance so far.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jake Allen, best goalie in the NHL

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If watching the Leafs for years has taught me anything it's whenever there's a rising tide of optimism and positive feeling around the team heading into a game they invariably lay a big ol egg. Yes I understand this is just negativity bias combined with the random nature of individual games.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs players have been complaining about the ice all year and the Raptors are currently playing at home, with a game last Saturday and one tomorrow, so I wouldn't expect good ice conditions, no.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

N:

https://twitter.com/SeanFitz_Gerald/status/854135312188141569

(this was before the third, not OT)

V: Caps are shook as hell

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah most Caps fans aren't seriously concerned about losing this series, near as I can tell, they're concerned because they can barely handle a team that backed into the 8 seed and it doesn't bode well for them looking forward to other rounds.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

Hockey could use more dekes, but a football player's got the sickest dangle of the month.

:vince: :vince: :vince:

Seriously holy poo poo

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Weird how Jack Adams hopeful Glen Gulutzan couldn't coach his team to a single win against Randy Carlyle, objectively the worst coach in the playoffs.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don't buy the presumption that coaches are trying to game corsi, especially the idea that they would do so to the exclusion of trying to win games somehow. Like, what's the incentive exactly?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

grack posted:

There are arguments to be made that you can design an offensive system that generates a high number of Corsi events but a low number of quality scoring chances. That may not exactly be "gaming Corsi" but it's very similar. LA may be the poster child for this, or it may be that they didn't have good enough offensive players to actually score even though as a team they had great possession numbers.

Is this not a chicken/egg thing though? The Kings had their first run before the stat was even widely accepted, and saying "a coach has deployed strategically flawed systems and got fired" doesn't also mean that corsi has no correlative value anymore.

The Kings are also a terrible example because they did really well and then their key guys got old, oh well.

violent sex idiot posted:

they see that good corsi used to be a predictor of good hockey and mistake correlation for causation.

I guess but this feels like another straw man argument about the fictional team that generates all shots from the outside or whatever, and I think it's a misunderstanding of how coaches operate.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It's not odd, the point is that fans will always complain about something even if they're a lock as a Cup finalist and if your only issue is minor depth players then the team probably has few real issues.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hell is talking to sports fans in real life

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

"Players don't respect Sidney Crosby"

*back-to-back Ted Lindsay Award winner, 3 times in 10 years*

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

imo players should try not to go uselessly offside as often as they do, would save a lot of time

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

When the Leafs acquired Kessel there was an endless stream of talk about how he was a cherry-picking all-offense lazy player whose production was all Marc Savard, from Bruins fans on this very forum too. People had been writing about his attitude and work ethic since before he was drafted, it wasn't just a Toronto thing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

$10,000 is also literally nothing to Getzlaf, he makes 5x that a day.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Sorry, I don't want to get a big debate going on about this, but what about this put it on the bad side of the fuzzy line? Was he insulting a gay player or something? I don't think I've ever heard cocksucker in the context of insulting gay people.

I don't want to come in and defend homophobic slurs or anything, but in a game where people can fist fight name calling shouldn't be a huge deal.

What's your endgame here, exactly

Also what do you think the difference between "I'm not defending slurs, but..." and "I'm not a racist, but..." is

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The DoPS became bad so that the Leafs could become good, and I'm ok with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Death to Ottawa

• Locked thread