Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
A pro-tip for at least parts of that area: If you have obstacles with a clear enough vertical edge (vertical lines of spikes, immobile sawblades, or sawblades moving vertically), you can maneuver next to them and then repeatedly down-swipe your needle to stay relatively stable. This allowed me to get better timing for some nasty jumps, and even let me sequence break some others (by gaining more height than was intended).

And there's this charm that was mentioned above that basically lets you sustain health indefinitely if you do it right. The general area to look for it is South of Kingdom's Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Some comments on Darth Nat's question:

I'm afraid there's not much more to say than practice and get better. I figured I want max nail DPS, so my load-out of choice was max-length nail with increased attack speed. Don't underestimate that the "width" of your attack also increases with the length. I think my last notches were used to increase invulnerability time after getting hit.

Note that there are points in its pattern where, even if you're not sure of the exact arrangement of projectiles/beams, you can start healing up with a high % of being able to finish the channel. There's of course a chance he'll be hitting you, but more often than not you'll get away with it (or, if you get hit, you'll get hit after finishing the first channel so you come out even)

The method for approaching most of its attacks should be pretty evident. Dashing is your biggest friend. If you're about to fall into a physical projectile try to down-slash (I get that that may not be the most natural reflex, but it's worth a shot to try to keep it in mind).The mistake I found myself making most commonly was getting greedy and trying to land hits when he spawned those individual homing projectiles. Those are more agile than you think, and you should focus on just dodging.

Finally, just in case you haven't witnessed all of its stage transitions so far. I'm pretty sure the screen won't actually move up without you (or if it does, you have a lot of leeway). So if you see the screen starting to move upwards, don't panic.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Augus posted:

Got the true ending! 93% in 27 hours. The optional area and final boss were quite tough, but not as nightmarish as people in this thread seemed to be suggesting. The only thing in the game that I felt was ridiculously hard was the third arena challenge, I walked away from that after dying many times to the section where they force you to do like a dozen waves without any platforms to stand on.

Obligatum VII posted:

It gets worse! There's a miniboss fight after that which has just been completely decimating me. It has so much health and a really weird hitbox on one of them (it's two enemies). I'm sure that's like, only halfway too. The arena fights are way too long.

Friends! Have faith in the downward nail-swipe, and it shall reward that faith tenfold!

I found it extremely useful in the "no floor" sections of the arena, to make it possible to get a hit in and still have enough time to reach a wall again. Special mention goes to that stage where a sequence of these invincible worms come crawling down. Position close enough to one of them and repeatedly down-swipe (hitting it with the edge of your attack), and you're almost 100% safe. It's also useful for the boss mentioned (as well as every other enemy that dashes/rolls to you, like Hornet, those 7 rolling "bosses" in the soul sanctum, Lost Kin, or the bad ending final boss) because down-swiping while it dashes you, beyond being a reliable way to deal damage, also bounces you up. The extra height has often gotten me out of harm's way.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Augus posted:

Oh goddammit, I just realized I could use fragile strength in the arena of fools. :doh:
Also apparently I missed two charm notches

I'm pretty sure there's a grand total of two collectable notches in the game so I guess you got unlucky :v: (start with 3, get one in arena, purchase 4 more)

Fungal Wastes and Fog Canyon are the places to look. If I remember correctly, neither of them is actually behind breakable walls

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Knorth posted:

I've heard there is something more to Mushroom guy, I haven't done it though so I don't know the details but I think that he's meant to pop up in a few different places?

I've done all that using guides from the internet and I don't feel bad about it at all. You encounter that creature 7 times, in different places. To interact with it properly you need to have a specific charm equipped.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Jesus christ why does this game turn into loving Super Meat Boy in one level? I didn't sign up for this :negative:

There's a way to "cheese" that level (slightly): that one charm (Hiveblood?) that lets you regain the single last hit point you lost. If you wait for that every time you take damage, you can try the obstacles as many times you want without dying

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I am slightly amused by the two big "types" of players that have emerged, hating either of the two big challenges (and often being entirely okay with the other one). Right now on /r/hollowknight front page there's a guy who's been trying last arena fight for "4 to 5 days", and another one who added 13 hours to his save file while trying it. That guy also finished SMB and I Wanna Be The Guy apparently. Also a guy complaining about the platforming one.

In my case, I definitely didn't finish IWBTG, I did finish but not even close to 100% SMB, and I beat WP in this game after like 5 resets. I can't agree that it's bad design. It demands more skill than most of the rest of the game (honestly, I think I spent more time on the Mantis Lords fight), and maybe it's skill of a slightly different type, but the jumps are all so tight and carefully planned. It's hard but it's pretty fair with the player.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 11, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I beat the Fools' Challenge on my second try and cleared the White Palace in thirty minutes and I'd say the latter is way worse because of how inexplicable it is. The rest of the game's zones feel fairly organic (the Deepnest is kind of a stretch but I guess that anyplace that's meant as a domicile for spiders is going to be a house of horrors to begin with) so the King's Palace being chockablock with buzzsaws is just immersion-breaking. Why are these here? Did the King hire a really overzealous home-security bug and didn't have the heart to tell him when enough was enough?

I think the point is that you're not inside the physical King's Palace. You're inside a version of the palace inside the King's (or maybe a Guard's?) dreams. Maybe the King was really possessive of his dreams so he figured out ways to protect them as much as possible.

Yeah, the author's primary motivation was probably just "I want a more difficult series of platforming challenges", but it's not necessarily *entirely* disconnected to the rest of the game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its almost like one of these is fun and the other isn't.

You're free to believe that but don't act like you speak for everyone. I had fun with both the arena and WP, and welcomed both of them as deviation from the main gameplay loop of the game which was getting repetitive. Yes, WP represented a slight breakdown in how immersive the game's atmosphere was. To me that was a sacrifice I gladly made in exchange for fresh gameplay, because I had been playing the game for 25 hours and atmosphere can only carry it so far.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

funktopus posted:

Thanks for this idea. I kind of neglected the spells all through the game (to my detriment). I'm more accustomed to throwing on Mark of Pride/Longnail, Quick Slash, Stalwart Shell, and Nailmaster's Glory and going pure melee. I'll have to try that out.

Pure melee really isn't a bad idea (it's how I did it, after also going all game using only ever the basic spell). To me it felt like my "attack area" (forward and to the sides of the attack) was increased so much by the two nail upgrades that I rarely had to go long after dodging an attack before I got back to DPS'ing the boss. The first stage of the boss does a lot more large-scale area denial, so there will be long periods where you can't hit at all, but the first stage also has the more straightforward patterns. My suggestion would be get good at those patterns so you can beat stage one fairly consistently, then in stage two you just spend as much time as you can with him at the very tip of your nail and dodge from there while DPS'ing.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Knorth posted:

Huh maybe it's 2600 then I dunno

I distinctly remember reading a post on steam forums about someone having 260x soul. It's not a nice round number. They just made sure 2400 was feasible without having to hunt down individual ghosts and left it at that I think.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

Yeah they really should rethink that particular jump in a patch. Personally I found it easier to downslash on the spikes to boost up a little, than to try to do it via an initial walljump.

My friend, let me tell you about this castle... It has a particular colour, and there's a rather distinctive noise associated with it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

skasion posted:

The flower carrying quest isn't that hard. At first glance it looks like you're carrying poo poo all the way across the loving world through a gauntlet, but in practice if you start from the Traitor's Grave and clear out the enemies on the way to the Gray Mansion, almost nothing dangerous respawns. The biggest headache is not bumping into the little jellyfish in Fog Canyon.

Pff! What kind of coward clears out enemies ahead of time! Shame!

(and the IMO trickiest bit, though it's short, is the two tiny jumps just at the end of it. Can't clear those out)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Imo you're so wrong. White palace was too much of a jump in difficulty from everything else in the game. I think they took it way too far in terms of the sheer amount of stuff you had to deal with, and how punishing the "checkpoints" were. I would have really preferred more benches and not starting from the bottom of sawblade shaft again and again and again.

Hey we've kinda heard all those arguments before. Please don't start it up again. Some people like WP, you (and some others) don't. Can't we leave it at that?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel like saying "its not super hard if you have the charm that gives you infinite tries" might be missing the point.

There are plenty of us who had a great time beating it without using Hiveblood. It's an optional area gating a minuscule amount of content that you don't need to play if you don't enjoy it. Hiveblood is being proposed as a decent alternative for those people who for some reason want to beat it even though it's not their kind of gameplay. I happened to think that a certain Mr. M was bullshit, so I changed my experience to suit me (I looked it up online), and I probably would've just ignored him and moved on if I couldn't have done that.

JuniperCake posted:

Like even if you don't end up depending on it all that much, i do think it makes a huge difference. Cause you never have that worry in the back of your mind, gently caress if I mess this up too many times I have to go back and do the previous 4-5 puzzles again! With the hiveblood it lets you kinda treat it as a super meatboy level. Okay just figure out this gimmick/challenge then its done and you don't have to look at it again and on to the next one.

Mentally it's pretty different imo.

Whatever floats your boat, but that mental part was actually lots of fun for me :v: . I liked the tension and the endurance aspect of it all.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like it doesn't really count as 'completely optional' if it's needed for the true ending. putting it that way implies it just gives like a mask shard or charm or some poo poo. whatever someone's opinion of it is, trying to constantly paint it as something that people have to go above and beyond to go out of their way to do for something minor is kind of weird

Being blocked out of one boss fight and two cutscenes in a 20-30 hour game isn't a reason to go online and tell people their opinions are wrong. People are free to have their opinions, it just irks me when they act like there's no room for other reasonable people to disagree (not what you did, but the people I was responding to).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

White Palace is the next thing I have left to do, so I wonder if they've made it a bit easier?

Sounds feasible. There were a few moments where touching a buzz-saw seemed to push you a bit too far back. That's a welcome little QoL change.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
At least you're well protected from all but the most determined of burglars.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
White Palace is fairly challenging but not extremely so. If I tried to compare it... I'd probably say SMB light world 3 mechanical difficulty, except that you have to go significantly longer on your limited HP, without checkpoints. The good news is that there is a certain mechanic in the game that allows you to bypass the risk of dying (with the drawback that it takes longer).

Most areas aren't "spidery" at all, but there is this one area... it's big, it's non-optional, it's dark and confusing, there's loads of skittering sounds, and it's one of few areas in the game where enemies can just appear out of nowhere. Find a video showing the Deepnest, while keeping in mind that it's way worse than at least 80% of the game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know where else to go though. I was exploring and found myself in the Soul Temple or whatever, and I think it was the only place I could access after finishing the fungus area. The game doesn't provide any direction in terms of "to access this area you need X item/upgrade/whatever, which you can get in such and such zone" so I spend a lot of time wandering around aimlessly. (For reference, I'm comparing it to Ori and the Blind Forest, which not only provides such directions, but also has a coherent story so you know what you need to do next and why you need to do it.)

Maybe I'm playing it wrong. Am I supposed to be looking at the wiki a lot?

I also had some moments when I didn't know where I *should* go next, but it surprises me that you say you think it's the only place you can access. Maybe list the stag stations you can reach and we'll see if there are any missing? Alternatively take a screenshot of your full-map (this took me ages to figure out, when you're looking at the map inside your inventory, you can zoom out for a "big" map showing the various zones).

And it occurs to me now, I *think* whatever objective you have is marked on that zoomed out map. For most of the game you'll be working on the one objective that has three branches (being intentionally vague here for spoilers). Can you see them?

Edit: re: the post right above. I get why people might be squeamish about Deepnest, but it did feel like it wasn't hugely difficult on a purely mechanical basis, and it's big and has multiple good things in it (including the tram pass). Another area which I think you might be able to reach now is walking back the way you came when you started the game

Dancer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 26, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Soul Master only really has two projectile attacks though, that I remember. One is a really lazy low-tracking lob at you that you can just walk around, and the other is him slowly flying across the room while his projectiles orbit him. And that second one is just a huge window to heal if you need it since he'll always go the full length of the room, so there's plenty of opportunity to hop over the lowest orbital and then heal up.
-
Beating Mantis Lords can be fun but the reward is really just eh to me. Mark of Pride is alright but 3 notches is a lot when you get most of the same effect from Longnail for only two notches.

That's why you stack them :getin:.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This thread. This thread never changes :allears: .

Dancer
May 23, 2011
What bank? There's no bank in this game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Is there any strategy at all for Flukemarm?

Oh just have the second upgrade I guess.

Boss HP values are one of the greatest nitpicks I have with this game. Get to final boss on my speedrun achievement file -> tense epic battle. Get to final boss on my 100% file -> I can almost face-tank and damage race to win. While going for the 100% speedrun achievement I happened to leave Flukemarm for very late, and I literally killed it with a single jump followed by pogo-sticking its fat ugly face.

If I were to change something, I'd probably leave nail upgrades as they are for basic enemies, I like the scaling there, but I'd make the upgrades only 50% or so effective when fighting bosses. Upgrading your nail should improve your damage, but happening to find an "early game" boss later than expected shouldn't trivialize it. In this massive game, it's almost inevitable that that will happen.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Am I supposed to be able to get further in there yet? Haven't found anything to clear that smoke blockade.

I think you want to go up and around it. The thing you're referring to is optional.

Edit: I'm silly. You want to go from either fungal wastes, or the crossroads

Dancer
May 23, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Eh I think they are fine. The hardest challenges in the game aren't trivialized by the nail upgrades (Radiance and Trial of the Fool) and there are even more difficult encounters incoming in a new patch. If you really want to ramp up the difficulty, I think it would be better to ask them to create a new difficulty setting for it.

As it is, if you want more difficulty just don't get the nail upgrades. The thing about the nail being as it is, it's a lever for people who aren't struggling with certain parts of the game a better chance at making it through it since it's pretty much one of the few upgrades that doesn't depend on you playing better to get the most out of it. A lot of people in this thread have talked about finally being able to kill a new boss after many failed attempts before their last nail upgrade.

I think it's safe to say, if you have been speedrunning this game most of the encounters are going to be pretty trivial to you when you do a 100% run. They are going to add harder fights so you'll get your fill soon enough.

Thing is, I don't mean to make the game harder. If they were to implement the change I mentioned, I would fully expect some bosses to have their HP lowered so as to not get too hard. It just feels slightly silly to me that the difference nail upgrades make is so huge. Reasonable people can disagree on this of course.

And, just to clarify, I haven't been actually "speedrunning" in the legitimate sense of the word :v:. I was just going for the achievements they chose to name "speedruns". My times are about 4 to 5 times as long as the world records.

brain dammej posted:

How are folks finding the controls in this game? I find with a 360 controller using the analog stick for movement, I can't be as precise with up/downswings while moving as I'd like. Forget the d-pad on that, too.

I could just be a really bad baby gamer, admittedly.

I'm on keyboard and the game controls extremely well. There are arguable "improvements" that one might imagine (like the fact that getting hit means your inputs don't register while the game is frozen) but I actually like the extra challenge that imposes. Your character is meant to be disoriented and *should* need a moment to be able to be readjust after getting hurt.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

brain dammej posted:

I have vsync on, at 144fps (G-sync, if that matters...). Does it actually affect things at that framerate?

To clarify, my problems are mainly around a slight lack of accuracy. When I think i should downswing, I instead slash in front of me, while when I want to hit in front of me, sometimes I up/downswing. This usually happens when I need to rapidly change from looking left to right or vice-versa.

I've beaten the game 100% on the true ending, so I can grasp the mechanics pretty well. I'm just trying to get better at the game is all. Want to know if the answer is 'git gud' or 'stop using analog you idiot' or some other option.

EDIT: Also, SGDQ had a neat run of Hollow Knight that I don't think was posted here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156491630?t=9h06m04s
(I'd link the youtube upload to avoid twitch chat idiocy, but the audio is v. bad on it)

It feels like what you're describing (specifically how it happens primarily when you need to change to an opposite direction) would indeed likely be fixed by switching away from analog. When I switch from left to right I depress the left key and press the right key with an entirely different digit. Whereas you move your thumb in a complex-ish pattern to try to move the stick in a straight line through the dead-zone, with nothing to guide your thumb other than muscle memory. Regardless of other strengths, this is undoubtedly a point where sticks will be weaker.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

ooh i unlocked a bestiary, neato!

Oh you sweet summer child... Such wonders await you :allears:.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I feel like this is similar to the question of Primal Aspids. They become signficantly less frustrating if you just resign yourself to the fact that you *have* to be patient and wait for a good window to attack them. With Soul Tyrant you also have to take it slow and accept that you will not be able to safely hit him on most his teleports. Wait a few teleports, and your chance will come. I personally found Lost Kin harder as well, because his moves felt a lot quicker, but I never had to wait too long to get the next hit in (if only because he charged me).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

You should be able to hit him fairly consistently when he's teleporting around and shooting projectiles. The trick is to stay low to the ground - if you ground dash towards him immediately after a teleport, his shot will pass above you and then hit the ground when it tries to course correct. That way, you'll be able to close the distance quickly and get rid of his shots at the same time. Sometimes he'll teleport far enough away that you can't reach him before his next jump, but you should be able to catch him at least once or twice over the course of a teleport chain.

Of note: I feel like the shadow dash is particularly helpful in this fight because it allows you to be just that little bit extra reckless rushing in to get the next hit.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I was feeling confident after my 100% "speedrun" for the achievement. After 4 hours...

How does this happen in fuckin *Isma's Grove* of all places :(. I forgot that there was an arena there with city guard type enemies and they kinda chained hits on me and I was dead.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It has basically always felt to me that the best defense in this game is killing them as fast as you possibly can so that you don't need to dodge as much. My loadout was Mark of Pride, Quick Slash, Fragile Strength, plus the charm that gives you soul when damaged. When you can't possibly get close enough for an attack you spam spells (ideally the Shriek). You won't be able to heal in phase 1 but there are decent chances in phase 2 so I guess maybe save some soul for that if that's what you're into.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

lets hang out posted:

that's a cool mod too

I agree steel soul felt too easy

Dancer
May 23, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

You don't even have to wait until the third laser. The lasers don't strike where they had just struck before. So you can start healing immediately after the 2nd laser if you get to where it hit. That usually gives you enough of a cushion in case of an unlucky bit of timing with the ground spikes.

I believe I have literally never gotten that attack in the first phase :v: (unless I remember wrong). But yes, it's one of the best moments to heal. Further observation: maybe it's confirmation bias, but to me it seems that the 3rd laser is also very unlikely to hit you exactly where the first laser landed. It's slightly more risky, but you can also go where the first laser landed and get a longer heal off, unless you get unlucky.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

I Said No posted:

Got the Steel Soul achievement today. Gonna try for Steel Heart later.

I had no idea Fragile Strength was completely loving bananas in terms of attack power, I think I was hitting harder with one nail upgrade and that charm than I was with the fully upgraded nail.

Off top of my head: Base nail damage is 5, you get 4 extra per upgrade. Fragile Strength is 50% bonus. So you're comparing 13.5 to 21 (or 19.5 if you accidentally meant two upgrades because people, including myself, keep forgetting the first one that doesn't cost any pale ore).

Not to let my pedantry take anything away from your point :v:. Fragile Strength is indeed really good. One incredibly satisfying moment for me in my steel heart run was when I realized I can one-shot both flying-type guards in the city of tears. And bosses also all required one third less hits to kill... I've always been a basic slash oriented player (just can't condition my finger to charge up for nail arts, and I keep missing fireballs and being disappointed) so strength + quick slash felt like really amazing dps.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

good loadout for the final challenge?

A lot of folks swear by abyssal shriek (and tbf they're right it does massive damage to the boss), so a build with high soul intake + increased spell damage suggests itself, but I like my damage to be more sustained. Mark of Pride, Quick Slash, Fragile Strength + wildcard (or something like Quick Focus if you don't want to deal with Fragile Strength). In any case I'd recommend full offence build. The longer you let the fight go on for, the more you're gonna gently caress up, and defensive bonuses won't save you.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yeah, WP sure was full of objects that seemed to be part of the environment but actually moved at you out of nowhere to kill you. Also so many traps that weren't there at first but popped up the moment you stepped up to surprise you /s .

"Unironically" there's fairly few similarities between IWBTG and White Palace. WP spawns you like 2 seconds back when you take a hit, and gives you a truckload of re-spawns before resetting you to the checkpoint. WP gives you a bunch more tools that IWBTG, and also gives you a lot more room to save yourself if you do gently caress up (hitting *anything* with a down-swipe attack refreshes both your dash and your double jump, which is invaluable). WP is also visually gorgeous, though I will grant you that the sound design can be viewed as flawed.

Not to mention that like two thirds of WP is skippable with fairly simple tricks if you look closely and spot the shortcuts.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Grey Mourner's quest being the final mask piece is a pretty funny troll because the final boss does 2HP of damage per hit anyway so you're not gaining anything.

I suppose if you're barely eking out a Trial of Fools victory you might use it.

I think you're miscalculating somewhere? Final mask piece takes you from 8hp -> 9hp so at 2 per hit that means 5 hits instead of 4. Fragile Heart adds 2 hp so it doesn't change the maths. Maybe if you're using some or all of the blue hp charms it would be different.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

I Said No posted:

It seems appropriate that there's no kind of infrastructure down there. It's only really a bother if you keep forgetting stuff down there, so it's best to do as much as possible in one pass. I'm a bit too familiar with that one vertical derelict lift shaft between City of Tears and Ancient Basin at this point.

On my Steel Heart playthrough just for giggles I tried to see if I could snipe both those guards entering the room with my eyes closed (full upgrades + Fragile Strength so one-shot). Took me too few attempts before I succeeded once :v: .

It bothers me slightly more that there is *some* infrastructure but it's kinda... useless. In my last run I used that tram exactly once, to access the part of the map in the SE that you literally can't access otherwise. It would be a lot more useful if the tram was close to the stag station. Having the stag station elsewhere would make little sense thematically (it *should* be in what used to be a settlement), but the tram station could've been somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I could be mistaken, but I think they don't actually *re*spawn? Yes, they pop in out of nowhere and it's really stressful to deal with them, but once you walk past the spawning trigger once I think you're clear. So I guess, try slowing down so you don't walk past multiple triggers in one go and they should be easier to deal with? I dunno, they're annoying...