Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

so the boss in the Tower of Love is, uh, disturbing

I love his laughter at the start of the fight. Voice talent was really having fun there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i wouldn't know :smug:

one more grub to go, and he's in the hive, somewhere...

I spent forever looking for a path to this guy in completely the wrong room. Not that tricky once you figure out what direction to come at it from, though.

Does anything else in the game shed any light on what the Collector is? It seems pretty clear just from looking at him that he's some kind of abyssal entity like the siblings, but what's his deal?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I love how for 95% of the game it takes care to properly ground the setting of each level to make sure you're fighting bugs and evading perils thematically appropriate to the type of place that it is, and then you get to where the loving king lived and it's a nightmarish shitstorm of buzz saws and nothingness

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It's right above the simple-locked manhole (bughole?) to the sewers. There's a sign near there pointing towards it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What bothers me about the white palace is that it's really low on payoff. You have to go through the whole thing and then some to get the true ending, but at this point the game has basically nothing else left of value to reward you with, and it's sure not going to be any more forthcoming about the plot, so it just feels like an arbitrary annoyance whose only purpose is to make the true ending a pain to get. It's either going to be endlessly irritating if you don't have hiveblood or irritating and slow if you do.

The inexplicable quality of there being a dream version of the king's house full of saws and spikes plays into this as well. I guess the king adhered to the House Telvanni school of hospitality. If you can't make it upstairs, you probably aren't anyone he wanted to see. But at the same time any butterfingers can brute force his way through if he has hiveblood and some free time. So basically all his traps just make him the king look dumb, they don't really require that you have mastered any important aspect of kingship or anything plot related like you might have expected. You just need to have killed a bunch of poo poo to get in and then either talk to a bee or get really good at jumping. Which is alright for an optional endgame dungeon, but just lacks emotional resonance at what should be a climactic point for the plot.

I also think it kind of hurts that the Queen will just give you her half of the kingsoul if you ask. The King is a dick.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Steam guide says 2608

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any way to keep the cute miner bug from going hollow?

She doesn't have a quest so not really. She flips hostile when you pick up Crystal Heart which I think is mandatory, but maybe there's some way to avoid it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This game is way better than Axiom Verge on the strength of its visuals alone.

Unlike AV and even more so unlike Ori, this game had absolutely gently caress all marketing whatsoever and thus hasn't found a wide audience. Like one or two sites even reviewed it. I can understand why they didn't want to shell out for ads given the budget they were working with but still. Hopefully it will get a bit of buzz when the content packs & DLC drop.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Can't be avoided, it's triggered by getting the double jump or breaking one of the seals, whichever comes first. Mind the exploding corpses!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

On the other hand, Axiom Verge has the funkiest soundtrack of all time

It is really good for sure. Probably the best aspect of the game is the sound, the way the music and sfx blend into each other is so neat. If only it did not look like someone vomiting up a glowstick on a Giger painting, I would recommend it to everyone.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

Deepnest has lots of little crawlers and spiders that burrow / come out of the background. I only had one nail upgrade and was alright, but it tends to be tense since enemies can pop out of nowhere. A few of the sewer enemies annoyed me more though. I wasn't bothered by Crystal Peak except for the mid-boss guarding the bench, who seemed overly difficult for some reason.

Just wait for round two.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

How do I get out of here?

There's a way to left in Ancient Basin, but I think I couldn't go far that way without double jump.

Getting stuck in the basin without the tram pass has to be this game's equivalent to getting all the way to the bottom of Tomb of the Giants without the Lordvessel.

You can absolutely jump up back up the way you came from where you are, but it will take a bit of dicey wall jumping. It definitely took me a number of deaths to get the hang of it.

The trees are optional platforming challenge content, hit them with your dream nail if you have it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Umm. Are we the bad guys?

Could be worse

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't gotten 100% completion, but from what I gathered The Radiance created all bugs, but somehow limited them. The Pale King, Descended/reborn from the Wyrms (who apparently never die and enslaved the bugs), usurped The Radiance, and sealed it away by engineering Hollow Knights. But the Radiance got pissed and invaded dreams which spread the Infection?

Seems like everyone's poo poo. Except the Seer. I like her.

The Radiance apparently possesses or directly controls bugs, making them basically unthinking automata. It's not entirely clear that it created them all, but it certainly created the moths in its own image. The "infection" is their natural state reasserting itself. The Wyrm/Pale King gave them minds and they betrayed the Radiance to serve him, but because the Radiance still existed in dreams, it continued to exert its influence on the bugs. Like the Seer says "Hold something in your mind and it lives on with you, but forget it and you seal it away forever. That is the only death that matters." The King tried to create his own automata from the Abyss, the Hollow Knights, to seal up the dream of the Radiance, but for some reason it just didn't work and as time went on the Radiance worked its way back out into the dreams of bugs, ruining Hallownest. This is the biggest unanswered question in the game's plot imo, together with why the player character is where they are at the start of the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's what I thought was going on, which might be wrong given how loving vague this game is but whatever.

The Wyrm created all bugs and civilization before passing away in typical creation myth fashion. Many civilizations have risen and fallen in the grounds of Hallownest, led by bugs that carried the mark of the Wyrm. One civilization was the moths. The moths were led by a ruler that passed away into the dream, but was still revered by the moths. But when the Pale King inherited the mark of the Wyrm and built a new civilization in Hallownest, the moths abandoned their old ruler to follow him. So the ruler became pissed and transformed into the Radiance and lashed out from the dream, corrupting the minds of bugs lured to its light.

I'm not convinced that the Pale King is just some guy carrying the mark of the wyrm the way that, say, the player character is (not that it is just some guy, itself, but you take my point). The moth seer claims in so many words that the King literally was a, or the, Wyrm. I'm not entirely convinced that Radiance is a normal bug either -- I suppose it could be just a moth really hopped up on Soul, but since it seems to be way more powerful than literally anything else in the world except the player character, I'm inclined to think it is something else weirder than bugs. Maybe the DLC will shed a little light on the subject :haw:

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no clue why you start the game at the surface though.

I guess there doesn't have to be any special reason since there's various hollow knights and apparently related entities scattered all over: the poor guy Hornet shanked in Greenpath, presumably Hornet herself, the runty Abyss siblings, Broken Vessel/Lost Kin, The Collector, Nosk. I guess one just found its way outside.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Knorth posted:

Doesn't the moth say that the bugs of what would be Hallownest revered Radiance before the Wyrm built it's civilisation and that's part of why Radiance is so pissed, so to speak.

Yeah actually. The seer says outright that the Radiance came first, created the moths, and then the Wyrm/Pale King showed up, turned the moths against the Radiance, and created the kingdom of Hallownest.

Bardoon also has some remarks which only make sense if that was the sequence of events. And one of the Relic Seeker's dialogues mentions that the Arcane Eggs and the Soul-holding statues scattered around the world are remnants of a pre-Hallownest civilization.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^I'm completely unconvinced the White Lady is trustworthy. She doesn't have a firm grasp on what is going on right outside her door and for all we know might have had something to do with the Radiance to begin with. I feel they look similar and her monomania for procreation reminds me of Radiance's control-freakery but maybe that's just me.

Eopia posted:

So one thing that confuses me is what exactly caused Hallownest's fall? After the Hollow Knight sealed away the radiance for however long it was before the game starts, the civilization apparently lasted long enough for a statue to be built for it, yet somehow Hallownest fell and the White King pulled his palace into the dream world and died for some reason even though the Radiance was gone at the moment?

The Hollow Knight's seal simply wasn't effectual. It isn't clear to me why not -- sure he didn't have a dream nail, so didn't enter the dream to stop the Radiance at the source, but I don't see why the king didn't just have it get the dream nail and do the deed -- if not do it himself. After all, you're a hollow knight and you do it just fine. In any event, after some indefinite interval the HK got filled up with Radiance and ceased to function as a seal. The Radiance's mind controlling light/"bad air"/gas/spores/lightseeds/whatever broke out from the dream into the minds of bugs and drove them insane. It's only at this point that the civilization of Hallownest finally collapses with almost everywhere succumbing to the Radiance, with only isolated locales like the Mantis village or Dirtmouth, and exceptionally strong willed individuals like Dungbro or the Seer surviving unscathed. The King seals off the city itself, repairs to his palace and magics it into the dream as either a means of escaping the Radiance's possession or as a final gently caress-everything gesture. Meanwhile his three Lords (? does the game ever give them a collective name?) themselves enter the dream (at his behest?) to serve as makeshift seals on the Radiance. Then a while after that the game begins.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I thought it was pretty clear that the Greenpath tablets are from worshippers of Unn

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There's a quote I can't locate now, but it specifically says The Wyrm enslaves bugkind. What that means isn't exactly clear, because we know that the Radiance also enslaves bugkind, in a seemingly much more obvious sense.

It's Mr Mushroom's dream nail dialogue (which owns btw) that describes the Wyrm as putting bugs in thrall. I mean, the Wyrm straight up created a kingdom and put himself in charge of it. The kingdom had at least two of the three estates, a fourth estate of soulless darkness entities, and an actual slave caste, and he was the boss. Sure he didn't straight up puppet brainwashed zombugs around, but he definitely held total power over Hallownest.

There are a few other things that I thought were weird. First off all, when [spoiler]The Dreamers cast you into the dream upon inspecting their grave/monument, it is a moth that guides you to the Dream Nail. Now this could be the Seer (manifesting in the dream), The Radiance, or just a general symbol of moths (who seem to be connected to the dream more than other bugs).

Has to be the Seer, the Radiance has no reason whatever to help you find the dream nail. And I mean, she physically collects your body while you're dreaming and takes it home.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Midwife implies that the spiders lost the ability to reproduce.

quote:

Would you hear about myself? There's not much to say. I'm a servant to the nest, though few in recent times would seek my service. Our brood is lost to that pestilence of the mind. A sad fall for the most intelligent species.

e: it's interesting that the King felt he had to bargain with Herrah though. I guess she was not to be hosed with, since I don't recall that he had to offer Lurien or Monomon anything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

So It Goes posted:

I don't really think that quote says the spiders can't reproduce unless that's a side effect of being corrupted by the radiance or something

A midwife's service is to deliver children, or for a spider midwife I guess to help hatch hosed up spider eggs or something. If nobody is seeking the midwife's service, it implies nobody is breeding. She follows this statement up by implying that the reason the bugs of Deepnest do not seem to be in any mood to breed is because they are all shambling around mindlessly dreaming of light instead. So yeah, I'd say that's exactly what that quote says.

Internet Kraken posted:

The fuuuuuuuuuck I can't believer there's another thing I completely missed in this game.

Yeah this game has a really impressive amount going on. I have like 60 hours in it at this point and I only just discovered that there's a hidden-ish passage from Fungal Wastes to Queen's Gardens with a trap floor that dumps you straight into Deepnest and a moss man preaching a sermon about the Radiance.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I thought it was reasonably clear that what Herrah sacrificed was her waking life, and thus any hope of helping the spider people out of their craziness. She agreed to go into the dream and become a seal because the Pale King offered to give her a child, which she could no longer have the normal way because her entire people had been infected by the plague.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What are these things, anyway?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The king was a megalomaniac insofar as he really was a sorcerous dragon god emperor with incomprehensibly vast powers including something like immortality. Mask Maker's dialogue is abstruse as gently caress even by this game's standards and I don't see how it really tells us anything more than that the society of Hallownest benefited some much more than others.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Radiance Did Nothing Wrong

We must secure the existence of our light and a future for moth larvae

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You don't need to listen to the saw blades, just turn the sound effect volume down. I still would have preferred something other than saw blades (why not like, a weaponized version of the motes that are floating around all the dreams) but eh.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The flower carrying quest isn't that hard. At first glance it looks like you're carrying poo poo all the way across the loving world through a gauntlet, but in practice if you start from the Traitor's Grave and clear out the enemies on the way to the Gray Mansion, almost nothing dangerous respawns. The biggest headache is not bumping into the little jellyfish in Fog Canyon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'm really hyped that they're actually continuing to add to this game but I have to say I'm hoping for a few wholly new boss designs at some point and not just dream versions of stuff we've already seen. Or at least they could touch up bosses that are kind of underwhelming in the main game like Nosk or the big dumb jellyfish rather than bosses that are already cool and good. I guess dream Zote would have to be pretty original of necessity. Unless the "fight" is just you playing astral pinball with his limp, pathetic spirit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^maybe Zote is the long lost prince of Hallownest and the King created the HKs as a replacement for him while he wanders around the world being a less likable Ostrava.

Internet Kraken posted:

Nosk really confuses me. There's a whole bunch of effort put into setting it up but then the fight itself is really easy and underwhelming. Terrifying apex predator of the darkness that just runs back and forth like an excited dog.

My thoughts exactly, the reveal of what it is is great but the boss is so weak and so easy to cheese I stumbled on it by accident on my first encounter.

The jellyfish fight annoys me, I don't like bosses where the gimmick is "wait for your ally to do a thing, then hit the boss in a window of opportunity". It's not like an especially terrible example of the gimmick and Quirrel is a bamf so I was glad to see him do something, but as a gimmick it's just conducive to a fight where you spend a lot of time dodging and waiting, or standing around with your thumb up your rear end. Much like the rest of the Archives it gives me a sense of "ok cool, but that's it?"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Don't you need the lantern to access the spider village? Maybe I'm misremembering.

You don't "need" the lantern for anything, as long as you can make the right jumps by muscle memory. The speedrun route skips the lantern entirely.

Augus posted:

It really sounds like everyone was playing a different level from me. It was pretty forgiving and fair and the platforming challenge was a logical progression from the countless other platforming challenges in the game.

There were definitely a couple of places where I felt the checkpoints were a little too far apart, but yeah it's not super hard if you have Hiveblood + Grubsong. Just takes a bit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, is a pacifist run doable? So much of this seems by design. Let's set aside the dreamers. What else has to die at your hands to complete the game?

Not by any sense of pacifist that I'm aware of.

You must kill a large Balder to get to Greenpath, then beat up Hornet once to get the dash. You must kill the Watcher Knights to get to Lurien and you must kill Uumuu to get to Monomon -- these two fights are not in any way skippable to my knowledge. You obviously have to kill Hollow Knight himself.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I've been seeing this game featured on the steam sale and it looks really interesting, a couple of questions though: Since this is a game about bugs, on a scale of 1 to AHHHH, how "spidery" is it? Second, I've skimmed through the thread and saw a lot of complaining about some platforming area (White Palace) being really hard, how hard are we talking compared to lets say Shovel Knight or the light world Super Meat Boy levels?

There are spiders and they are scary. The majority of the game doesn't have an overtly creepy vibe though.

White Palace is frustrating but I got through it, and I'm terrible at platformers. It's also optional.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jedah posted:

Yeah those driller bees were jerks. I made sure to grab the shard, good call there, thanks.

Any advice for for the second encounter of Crystal Peak's Crystal Guardian? Maybe I should grab more upgrades and visit him later. His attacks happen quickly and Beam Strike covers a big portion of the room, making it very difficult to heal.

Don't heal, just stack up blue health as high as you can with the charm that increases i frames after damage and go to town on him with your nail and spells. If he is about to hit you with a beam, walk into him, it only does 1 damage vs the beam which does 2. If you have upgraded dash it makes the fight a lot easier because you can just dodge through him every time he starts to charge a beam and smack him around from behind.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Am I missing something about Soul Master, because I'm a decent way through the game (got the first ending, just got the Shade Cloak now too) and compared to most of the other bosses in the game, Soul Master has windows to heal that you can drive a truck through.

I admit to dying to his fakeout the first time, but that was it.

What's meant to be the hard part of him?

edit:
also, you know the closest bench to Soul Sanctum? It's actually right next to a breakable wall that you can break if you're on the other side of it in Soul Sanctum when you check your map.

double edit: also he's not really 'optional' since if you don't do him ASAP then I guess your only real choice of where to go next is Deepnest which is not the best idea, when Soul Master gives you the Ground Pound which gives you access to Crystal Peak, which leads to a super-important mobility upgrade for accessing more areas.

People are prone to panic when fighting him because it's a pretty long run back even with the shortcut, and also because he's the first boss that you really need to know how to avoid projectiles to beat. False Knight and Hornet can be beaten with spacing or just brute force even if you don't really understand how to dodge their attacks, but if you take on Soul Master without an appreciation for air control and fooling projectile tracking, he will just kick your rear end forever.

His fakeout is a pretty dirty trick too, but once you get to that stage you usually have the fight down.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Whats the consensus on the creepiest zone in the game though? I feel its soul sanctum, with the reveal at the end, a mass grave, after soul tyrant being a great and scary moment, where you might wonder if the King signed off on processing bugs for soul or not

Abyss. And it's not even close. The ambience is freaky as hell.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

myDad posted:

Ah cool I totally missed that. Found a bunch of new dead-ends, but I guess I can challenge the 3 big bosses now & hopefully get some upgrades to progress

e: surprised the Beast, Teacher, and Whatever aren't boss battles

This was certainly an interesting decision by the developers. I was a bit let down the first time I got to one. I wonder if that was always part of the design -- the game definitely spends a good bit of time building them up as these legendary godlike figures and then...you just beat their comatose asses to pulp and suck their unresisting souls out. :smith:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

myDad posted:

e: Okay, Soul Tyrant is terrifying

Stick to the right side, close to the door. His ground charge won't hit you there and you can hit him as he comes to a stop or take advantage of it to heal, and the position there makes it easy to avoid his rotating orbs and hit him. The worst part is if he just decides to camp out on the far side of the arena spamming homing orbs but I found Soul Tyrant quite manageable compared to the other dream bosses. He's much less in-your-face and gives you plenty of opportunities to get your bearings back if you screw up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

myDad posted:

So I exercised Harrah The Beast and found a bunch of dead ends where I clearly need a way to go through liquid, a longer dash, double-jump, and a way to get by the black beam. I've got the wall jump, dash, and ground pound but I've no idea where to go next. Any suggestions for an area to explore?

Have you got the lantern? If so there's an area you can go to from Forgotten Crossroads that will get you the super dash.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lost Kin is probably the easiest dream boss. Just shroom up and you don't need to worry about the gasbags at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Yup. I'm honestly unsure why that's in the game. It seems like it's a setup for a pacifist run but I don't think that's actually possible.

It isn't possible. Probably just for speedruns so you can just fight him to get Vengeful Spirit (mandatory) but don't have to beat him to get his drop (non-mandatory).