Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I hear there's two different endings to the Grimm Troupe stuff? Is it obvious when you have to make a choice between them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I Said No posted:

There's an obvious branch, just one (Helping Brumm banish the troupe) ends really abruptly without a boss fight.

See, I'm at a point where after collecting two sets of flames I go into a boss fight with Grimm. Since that's a boss I thought it might be the end of it, but I haven't found any obvious branches.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Cool, thanks guys!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

The Black Egg Temple is marked on your map after examining the statue of the Hollow Knight, not after talking to Hornet, but how it's framed is a little confusing, yeah.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I like the White Palace, but I think they could have come up with a more thematically appropriate obstacle, to the area and the game as a whole.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

He's the only character I've ever seen have a positive reaction to realising he has amnesia, it's great.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

If you set out to do everything in the game you're going to get all the ores. The nailmaster even tells you how many you need for the next upgrade, so it's not like you don't know they're out there.

I never used the Wayward Compass. Do people really consider that critical to the game?

Somehow I missed the hole that drops down to the Mantis Lords entirely when I was first exploring that area; I immediately went up with the Mantis Claw I guess?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I'm also glad Wandering Geo isn't a default ability. It's super useful the first half of the game when you need to buy everything, but there's far more in the game than you'll ever need, even if you're an idiot like me and lose thousands to repeated deaths. The addition of Divine has mediated that a little bit, but you're still never gonna need to grind at any point.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

One thing I noticed in City of Tears is that the basic flying bugs are female-voiced while the walking ones are male-voiced; which is cool not only for representation reasons but because that's the kind of dimorphism you often see in bugs of that kind. It's really neat.

On another note, I missed the path to the Mantis Lords entirely until I was like the halfway through the game

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Clear out the path first, and then don't sit on any benches. Most enemies won't respawn that way.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

It was one of the last things I did in the game - after I had Isma's Tear - and I went Resting Grounds > Crossroads > Fungal Wastes > Fog Canyon > Greenpath.

The big jellies aren't too bad if you're patient. Just focus on dodging and don't attack them.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

C-Euro posted:

Are there any more doors that interact with the King's Mark than the one I mentioned previously? I could have sworn that I've seen more than one door that looks like that but I'm trying to remember where.

There are a few NPCs that react to it, but that's all.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

the jellyfish are said to be the result of Monomon's experiments, right?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Pigbuster posted:

I did that, but with the ground pound. I thought the Soul Sanctum was an endgame area so I put it off. :shepface:

I don't think you ever need the ground pound unless you're going for 100%, to be fair.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Ostensibly yes, but those Failed Champion and Grey Prince fights are hard.

well, the fact that I'm bad at videogames doesn't help.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

That looks cool and I dig the dialogue. The bees and mantises (mantii?) were pretty cool dudes all things considered.

As far as I can tell the only new dialogue there is Vespa's first line.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

So I just went to check out the new boss. seems like every enemy in hive has been buffed. hivelings are almost twice as big, hive guardians now hit for two damage. husks spawn four hivelings on death, pretty sire it was three before. unrelated, but it seems like you now also need grimmchild equipped to fight Nightmare King.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Nightmare King himself seems to have been nerfed slightly to make up for this, he staggers more often and I think his attacks are coming marginally slower, though that could just be me finally getting used to the fight.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I did the downslashing, but then I left Fog Canyon as soon as I saw I couldn't get to Cornifer.

Is Forgotten Crossroads more grey than blue now? Not sure how I feel about that - I liked the contrast it had with the infection.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Did the lifeblood update remove the ability to bounce off your shade, or am I just bad at platforming?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

If you have the Grimm Troupe content, I'd recommend picking up the Dreamshield charm while in Resting Grounds as well. It's not far out of your way at all and it's really effective at dealing damage to enemies (although its not great against Uumuu or the Watcher Knights, since you can't hurt those a lot of the time.)

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah, there's miner husk right below where you need the jump.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

The last journal entry I got was the boss of the Trial of the Fool, it could be that? There's a couple that're hard to get though.

I like the feeling of mastering Deepnest. I like coming back there with better upgrades and knowing the layout and how enemies work and just being able to breeze through it. That long fall into the hot spring is probably the most memorable moment in the game, just for the sense of relief it gives you.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

ffffffffffffffffffffffff i've spent literally two hours trying to beat the watcher knights for the speedrun achievement how the hell are you meant to do this without shade cloak

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

They can attack up, though, and they're not vulnerable when they're rolling.

The problem I'm having is more how to not take damage from them, especially when they're bouncing.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure that they were patched to be vulnerable to spells while rolling.

I need to save my soul for healing or I'm never gonna get anywhere.

What do you do when one is rolling and one is bouncing at the same time, I always get hit when that happens.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Thanks for the advice, guys. Honestly though I'm at the point where I think I might do another run and get Shade Cloak before I deal with the watchers, based off how this one went I have plenty of time.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I have the Monarch Wings and Crystal Dash.

e: It took me 3 and a half hours to get all the movement abilities (not counting Shade Cloak, obviously) and take out the other two dreamers, so, plenty of time, unless I find that I'm having just as much trouble against Hornet.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 5, 2018

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

The last key you need is in Ancient Basin.

There is infinite geo in the game though, losing some won't matter in the long run.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Hey I finally got the speedrun achievements!

So if I were to go for Speed Completion, what would you recommend cutting out? Trial of the Fool obviously, but what else?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah, that seems like a good place to start from. Thanks!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah, I'm going to leave the more difficult stuff like white palace for last, then i can pick the best options from them to make up that last few percent. For the moment I'm just going around collecting charms and clearing out bosses.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

hey i absolutely hate that new fluke enemy in the trailer

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

C-Euro posted:

I don't know, the tram takes you from Deepnest to Ancient Basin, and while there are a couple of connections between the broken lift shaft in Basin and the Waterways, one is opened up from the Waterways side and the other is that little spiked passage that may as well be one-way.

You can get in from Kingdom's Edge if you have the Crystal Dash, but that's the only route other than the manhole.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah, and if it does eat all your geo you can't get the map *or* the only bench in the area.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I do think they could use another Stag Station somewhere in Crystal Peak.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

there is a thorn-related charm, which you can find in Greenpath.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

You can also just ignore that boss and come back to fight it in the postgame, when you're better upgraded. I had as much trouble with it as veni and that's what I did. You can access everything else in Crystal Peak by going around the boss room.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also is the delicate flower quest as frustrating as it looks? I'm not even sure where that grave she wants me to go to is located.

It can be. Once you know where to go, try and plan your route out first, and you shouldn't have too much trouble, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

The route that I found has the best difficulty curve, the one I used to get the speedrun achivement, is False Knight > Hornet > enter the City of Tears, but then go up and get the lantern > Crystal Dash (avoiding Crystal Guardian) > drop down and get the Dreamnail > Lost Kin, at which point you're ready to take on just about anything in the game except endgame stuff. Though you probably want to go Soul Master straight after to open up all the routes; I just find the double jump super useful in boss fights so I try to get it asap.

ultrachrist posted:

I'm getting a little frustrated with Deepnest myself. I feel like I've been wandering around forever and have no idea how thorough I am because it's so dark. I keep finding NPCs that don't do anything, making me assume I have to come back later. The latest is after I kept going in one direction for a long time and found some mask guy who just talks to me. I took a break and I'm sure I'm gonna feel hella lost when I get back. I'm sure glad I can suspend the game on the Switch because I can't remember the last fuckin time I saw a bench.

I appreciate the scope and the "go wherever" nature of the game tho. It's funny I just beat Mantis Lords and my strategy was entirely dependent on that charge spin move I found by deciding to explore a random direction right before.

You probably want at least a map or a lantern before you explore Deepnest, but it sounds like you're managing to handle it pretty well if you've gotten that far in.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, I found the hidden area in the place where you fight False Knight. :smith:

I didn’t have it in me to kill the poor dopes

That's the right thing to do tactically, you can dreamnail them repeatedly for infinite soul.