Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I think it's more likely that his successful election would have been a release valve much like Obama's election did

e: DSA's membership spike didn't happen during the primary or even after he lost the primary but until after the general election

Can confirm I wouldn't be working with local leftist groups if he had won because I would have been complacent as gently caress but now I have accepted the reality tht politics cannot save us and it is on us to protect and empower our communities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Call Me Charlie posted:

Do you notice how every time you respond to me it some lovely gotcha to prove how bad Trump really is while ignoring how completely garbage Obama and Clinton are? Do you realize you have been doing the same routine towards me for literally years? I said my vote was a gamble an unknown number of times and you still try to paint me as a mindless Trump supporter that will follow daddy come hell or high water.

I'm a registered democrat. I voted for Bernie in the primary. Do you really think I won't vote against him in 2020 if the Democrats can get their poo poo together in time?

I responded to you multiple times in that thread and people can read my actual words instead of the lovely strawman you constructed https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766003&userid=88471 (and I'm proud of those posts. I brought fire against Obama and Hillary with links to back up my argument)

- edit

My dude pointing out that you criticized Hillary for being bad about a thing but voted for the guy who is inarguably worse about tat thing is not a gotcha, nor is wanting you to justify what makes Trump better than Hillary

You're kind of a moron

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also posting your actual words and asking you to address them is the opposite of a strawman smh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Now that that's out of the way let's discuss the jdpon

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Looking like a piece of poo poo is the only acceptable pre-existing condition

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hi I'm Dave dipshit and I'm here to tell you to become the twelfth person in human history to vote for Gary Johnson

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yes, I did not vote for Trump either. He is, like Clinton, also evil. Gary Johnson was a lesser evil, so I voted for the lesser evil.

No he fuckin wasn't you simp

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Foreign policy is the only thing that matters

Not him being a libertarian bottom feeder who supports private prisons and letting the poor die or anything like that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Private prisons are practically a nothing issue. It's what centrists talk about because they don't want to admit the entire prison system is a crime against humanity and has been long before private prisons came around. I'm already too poor to pay my medical bills and I'm not even poor. Hillary opposes single payer, which would fix this problem entirely. Who do you think you are fooling with this stuff?

Put your balls in a garbage disposal

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I didn't realize Gary was a big supporter of single payer or indeed anything that would actually help anyone in any meaningful way

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

His position on entitlement reform wasn't that far to the right from a centrist dem. Look, I get that he sucks, but you are running against the problem here of nominating candidates in an attempt to lure moderate Republicans. When you adopt their bad positions, it's easier to vote for them based on their upsides because you are making all else equal. You wouldn't have had this problem if you nominated Sanders. If it was Sanders I wouldn't worry about a deal to "reform" entitlements. With Hillary? She was openly campaigning on the idea that she would compromise with Republicans.

Centrist Dems are also very bad, is my opinion, Gary Johnson is just worsr

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kilroy posted:

It sucks. But the only denial I've noticed in this thread and elsewhere among people who voted for her, is among the folks who want to stay the course and think that centrism can still win elections.

And I don't quite follow how any of that justifies voting for Donald Trump.

Or Gary Johnson

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

"Don't put people in jail for pot," is not a bad opinion though. It's a good and popular opinion.

"Going to jail for pot is more important than not completely destroying the safety net" is a bad one though actually

Again, you can in fact stop smoking pot by choice but I can't just decide to never need aid

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also a brief pause to lol heartily at the idea that abuela is an ally

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'm pretty sure this is already our reality. Even pre-Trump.

No it's only a probability right now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stop violating the nap

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

You aren't getting me to vote to jail myself by holding the safety net hostage. Just agree not to jail me. Why is this so hard for you?

I'm actually in favor of legalization, I just don't prioritize it over the safety net because I'm not a burnout

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You can't get me to vote via emotional blackmail, now do what I want if you want my vote

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Did you know if you smoke weed and vote for a not libertarian you're immediately arrested and put in jail

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The odds of me being arrested for pot possession in my lifetime are 100% because that is a thing that has already happened to me.

You voted in favor of this you retards. You are the colossal assholes voting in favor of debtors prisons and arresting people for loving nothing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/us/marijuana-arrests.html?mcubz=1

And you're voting for a states rights rear end in a top hat who wouldn't actually do anything to promote legalization and would hurt many more people through his other policies

But no you're right voting for Gary was a vote for a get out of jail free card, you selfish gently caress

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys I think you're missing what's really important here more important than people being left to die when the safety net is burned to Ash and that is my God given right to smoke dank nugz

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

You are arguing in favor of supporting politicians that want to arrest half a million people a year for nothing, and calling other people morons? Ahh, Democrats. What a waste.

You're arguing in favor of a politician who has exactly one palatable policy but at the expense of letting the poor die you selfish prick

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I'm not, I'm stating a fact,that Gary Johnson would cut spending for the safety net so fast your head would fuckin spin

If you give more of a poo poo about smoking weed than people not starving that's cool I guess but don't make it out like everyone else is the rear end in a top hat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

But as far as I know Johnson doesn't support debtors prisons? That's something centrist dems want to do to potheads, as I illustrated above.

No, they want to put you in regular prison, which is also bad but not as bad as actively campaigning on a platform of loving the poor

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

But as far as I know Johnson doesn't support debtors prisons? That's something centrist dems want to do to potheads, as I illustrated above. I kind of feel like you are just searching for something for me to be wrong about. We are talking about a libertarian so it's obvious there is going to be some places. But the problem is my criticism of Democrats is just too strong and accurate here.

Doesn't he know he could have just not smoked?

Oh hey you edited this to make legalizing weed a way to stop police violence

gently caress ofd

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ze Pollack posted:

the suggestion that instead of trying to appeal to comfortable suburban republicans Democrats should try to pander to libertarians is, uh

well, it's an angle, I'll give it that

Appealing to suburban republicans is also bad angle

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ze Pollack posted:

the joke is that they are literally the same thing, imo

Nah, the suburban republicans have generally finished going through puberty

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Amazing fact here: There was this guy called Bernie Sanders who supported both safety nets and not arresting me. Apparently this is a thing that is possible. There is no requirement for you to take the safety net hostage. You are choosing this, not me. It is unreasonable to threaten to put me in jail for nothing. No matter what other policies you have, this is going to be a dealbreaker. I just can't imagine how this is considered unreasonable. If Hillary threatened a law to arrest everybody who likes to wear green shirts, should I just go along with that? Am I the problem if I nope out on that because it's a plainly idiotic and purposeless act of tyranny? See, I think the problem there is the people proposing that law. Not the people who don't want to go to jail for nothing.

The actual problem here is you prioritizing pot over people not starving to death and then scoffing at the hupothetical Hillary supporters you seem to think the thread is full of

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

500,000 people a year. Every year.

The actual problem here is that the Democratic candidate forced this to be a choice. It's obviously a porque no los dos situation.

No the problem is the thing I said actually

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hint if you feel forced to choose between smoking weed and people not starving

It's because you're an rear end in a top hat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Johnson is better on civil liberties. What kind of insane world do you have to live in to think supporting the drug war is good for civil liberties? That it doesn't cost lives? The choice to care more about healthcare is to care about different lives. 100,000+ died in the Mexican drug war in recent history. What about those lives?

Support ending the drug war. Support safety nets. Don't invade other countries for no reason. Get my vote. This isn't crazy or radical thinking.

He doesnt care more about healthcare though you ignorant gently caress

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I swear to God we're two steps away from qalnor telling us to Google Ron Paul

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I know that. But two out of three was better than Hillary. Three out of three from Bernie would have been my preference though.

Again, literally prioritizing weed over people not dying for being poor is nobody's fault but your own

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Good article about another country, I guess. Doesn't mean you didn't prioritize smoking weed over having a safety net.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drilldo squirt posted:

He's either that new breed of troll that forgets to be funny is just a genuinely awful person. It's hard to tell ever since Trump made it ok to be a racist rear end in a top hat again.

Nah it's a throwback to like 2007 libertarian DnD, it's pretty wild.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

You selfishly prioritizing lowering your healthcare bill over the lives of hundreds of thousands of people is pretty drat selfish, bro.

Actually I'd like to have healthcare at all, and I would like millions of other people to have it too, this feels not selfish

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I would like to not be in jail for no reason, and I would like millions of other people to not be in jail for no reason. This also feels not selfish.

I like that your numbers change and you don't address your lovely strawman, you're clearly a smart person and not just an idiot who likes weed

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I would like to not be in jail for no reason, and I would like millions of other people to not be in jail for no reason. I would also like hundreds of thousands of people not to die in a poor country because of a prohibition in a rich country next door. This also feels not selfish. That is because safety nets and not being murdered and not being in jail for no reason are not unreasonable or selfish things to request. They are human rights.

Safety nets aren't unreasonable to request says the guy who voted for Gary Johnson

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I like that you trot these out like it's going to make everyone go by jove hes right weed is more important than access to loving healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drilldo squirt posted:

That guy getting killed by cops does not make it ok to choose weed over peoples lives you hosed up pothead.

It's almost like police violence exists independent of weed and it's legality and in fact should be a higher pirority than weed because of that

• Locked thread