Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Well, but that's kind of a good thing, though, isn't it? One of the major points of nonviolent protest is to show the world that you're being peaceful and nonviolent, yet you're getting the everliving gently caress beaten out of you by the cops or private security.

You can't show the world poo poo when the entire loving media thinks that you and everyone you're fighting for are terrorists, what part of this do people not understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You're a loving idiot if you think sexual assault making them look bad has anything to do with strikes and labor and the inherent issues of capitalism being a never-ending nightmare that will kill every single one of us common people before a single rich person agrees to pay a fair wage.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nobody is going to boycott anything for the sake of the people the media calls terrorists, what the gently caress are you even talking about? How do you conflate completely and totally unrelated things like Bill O'Reilly with things that actually matter to the people in charge?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

I am not a genius revolutionary plotter, but it seems to me that if I were willing and ready to commit to violence and terrorism to achieve my political goals against a brutal violent government doing the bidding of capital, I wouldn't post about it on the internet where government assassins could trace my IP address back to me.

On the other hand if I'm just jerking myself off and never intend to do anything then yeah I guess posting nonstop about how other people need to start killing CEOs and congressmen makes sense.

Nobody actually believes that there is any possibility of changing America or the world at large either way, dude. We argue about theory here, nobody actually thinks that anything is going to get better.

It is not hypocritical or wrong in any way for me or anyone else to say "there is no way to change the status quo for the better without large-scale violence and resistance against the people in charge, but because the numbers needed will never actually come together and risk their lives for the sake of a better world, I am not going to either".

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

The media, for the most part, isn't calling BLM or the Women's March or any of those movements "terrorists." A violent anti-capitalist movement would absolutely get called a terrorist group, and guess what? Then you'd be right - nobody would turn out for them, at least under the current set of conditions.

Haha yea BLM and the Women's march have made such a real difference in the world. Wait no, abortion is becoming more and more impossible for poor and disadvantaged women to have access to, and black people are being murdered by the people they're forced to pay for protecting them just as often as always.

Every single one of those people wasted their time and continue to do so. They're working for the status quo and they don't even know it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They haven't changed anything at all. They've made no progress other than getting people to tweet about their thing for a little while until their interest faded and they found something else to tweet about.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Typo posted:

isn't that the exact same thing trump is doing

Trump isn't a real politician, he's a ridiculous childish clown with dementia. One might hope for the Democrats chosen leader with a lifetime of political experience to shape their entire party around to do a slightly better job.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 2, 2017

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Doc Hawkins posted:

Prisons today are already overcrowded and inhumane, we'd need a gentler design. Something with a lot of fresh air and exercise, and free classes in practical skills and societal reintegration.

I'd support that for most of the people in American prisons today, but in the case of mass incarceration for rich people we could just jam them all in one big underfunded nightmare mess of a prison like they do now to poor people. I'm not too concerned with treating them well.

Of course the guillotine would be preferable.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

OK, I should have written "as a concept, prison labor is not slavery", which it needn't be if the qualifiers in the following sentences are true. In absence of any safeguards it is obvious that practically it becomes at best academically distinct from slavery or legalized people trafficking. What I was trying to say is that even if prisoners working at a governor's mansion "had it easy" and were hardly slaves as some libs have claimed, the Clinton approach to their use was still repugnant and anathema to the idea of therapeutic and rehabilitative goals, which should be the only goals of any prison activity.

How is any of that relevant to America? Prison labor in America is slave labor. This thread is about America.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

I'm mostly joking. Mostly.

Because Democratic strategists were pretty open that they were pouring millions into Ossoff's race because they needed a win in a wealthy Romney-voter district to shut up the left.

You're joking? I thought the whole point of this thread was that the Democrats would rather lose indefinitely as a center-right corporate whorehouse than win on an even slightly left-wing or anti-corporate platform.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

Just because I think my fellow LGBTQ people who vote Republican are dumb doesn't mean I have any right to shame them or call them traitors.

are you loving kidding me

Any LGBTQ person who votes Republican is doing it because they have enough money that they don't need to worry about the consequences of putting these monsters in office. And you're defending them? You're saying they shouldn't be shamed or called traitors? That's literally what they are, they're saying "gently caress you, got mine", and that's okay because they're not straight?

I'm glad there are people like you around because it makes me feel less bad about the horrible poo poo that happens to Americans, because so so many of them deserve it. The Democrats are a loving waste.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't really understand the point of this particular discussion with regard to a theoretical future version of the Democrats that could be considered anything better than a complete loving waste.

Why should the American left be so very concerned about the fate of a doomed country in the middle east, exactly? I can't see much reason for the average person to give a poo poo what happens to Syria when they've got no healthcare and are making $4/hour or whatever the minimum wage in most of America is. I think enough people are getting wise to the fact that this is just going to be the way of things for a long long time in the parts of the world that are getting hosed over by climate change the worst. Whatever pitiful influence the American left can momentarily pull together before being torn apart by infighting should probably be directed toward worrying about what's going on inside the country rather than on the other side of the world.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

quote:

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/california-parents-could-get-jail-time-if-kids-miss-school

Ahahahaha holy loving poo poo, this is who's supposed to be the new leader of the Democrats? This is supposed to be the good guy?

I've said it before in this thread, but America really got the government it deserves.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So... are we just ignoring the fact that this lunatic who's supposed to be the new face of the Democrats wants to jail parents with truant children?

I'm having a hard time getting past this, someone walk me through how this is acceptable and not a nightmarish Republican-style "throw black people in prison to make them slaves again like the good old days" backdoor kinda thing.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I feel like Kamala Harris has to be the final nail in the coffin for the Democrats, right? How can the party survive if someone like her can seriously get a large amount of support from anyone who pretends like they're not a straight up Republican?

I can't reconcile this, she's a straight up monster. Like even if you wanna come at it from "trans people don't really matter, they're like .6% of the population and like 70% of other people think they're gross", how can you seriously try to say that the Democrats can be okay with someone who wants to jail parents of truant children? This isn't like Clinton's crimes against black people from the 90s, or even her indirect apathy toward them with regards to every economic and social issue that affect them indirectly like in 2016, this is a straight up "round up black people and make them slaves again" kinda thing. It's more blatant than I'd even expect from a Republican.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are you seriously focusing on the trans thing? Do you have some kind of censor program on your computer created by the DNC to only allow you to see the things that you can dismiss more easily? I meant to imply in that post that yes obviously you can sweep transphobia under the rug because most people don't really give a poo poo about trans people in real life, but for her to so brazenly give the middle finger to the supposed base of the Democratic party (ie racial minorities and people who give a poo poo about racism) is just insanity.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nevvy Z posted:

Do you have any evidence that she targeted or even disproportionately impacted minorities?

Is this a joke? Are you serious?

Nevvy Z posted:

The impact of those prosecutions as DA would be interesting to see. Was she actually going around throwing a bunch of parents in jail, or are you just assuming that because you don't like her?

I didn't know who she was until today, and I don't like her because I did some research and learned that she is a monstrous human being. I really don't see what it matters if she ruins peoples lives and fucks over minority communities for generations to come based on ignorance or malice.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are you asking for evidence that truancy is a much larger issue for black and hispanic families than white families? Or evidence that Kamala Harris is such an ignorant person that she isn't aware of that? I can't honestly say that I have any evidence of the latter, but it's so insane to pretend like she wouldn't know that that I hadn't considered it. Why exactly do you think children are truant, exactly? Do you think it's because parents don't give a poo poo that their kids are missing school? Do you not understand that the people living in the worst of American society sometimes cannot work two or three jobs while simultaneously making sure that their kids are attending school, or even needing one of them to stay home to take care of a younger child that does not yet attend school? America doesn't have affordable daycare, if you hadn't noticed. The very basic luxuries I can only assume you've taken for granted your whole life do not apply to the vast majority of poor minority families in America.

Am I stuck explaining the very base causes of social issues in a thread about politics that are supposed to help those most in need? Are there seriously people posting here, or who can be thought of as politically engaged that do not understand any of the things I just spelled out?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Hey guys, Kamala Harris is a woman of colour, I'm pretty sure she's aware of the existence of systemic discrimination based on both gender and race. Do you really think a presumably off-the-cuff statement, in lieu of a detailed proposal for an enforceable law, should be taken as evidence that she wants to promote white supremacy?

Did you not notice that Obama wasn't white, but he ramped up the war on drugs? Not being white doesn't mean that you give a poo poo about minorities, people like Obama and Harris are saying "gently caress you, got mine" to the millions of people who need their help the most.

I guess you're pretty into that though, considering your preferred political party in the country we unfortunately share.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand this bit where people are pretending like the disgusting actions of Harris or Obama are okay if they turned out to be so incredibly out of touch with whats going on in the world that they can be safely classified as being as ignorant as Donald Trump himself, rather than an actual hatred of the people that they're loving over.

Why is such a wild degree of ignorance better than malice when the end result is the same?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

JailTrump posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGe6TXbWmWI

According to some members of the left minorities can't be racist.

I don't give a flying gently caress who is racist or not, I'd rather have an outspoken racist in power if they abolished prison labor and legalized drugs, rather than people like Obama and Harris, who have enough money that they can gladly send untold millions of minorities to prison and never accept or realize the damage that their monstrous policies cause.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Call Me Charlie posted:

Kamala Harris wrote a book called Smart On Crime.

Transcribed from page 131

jesus gently caress

Holy poo poo dude.

Nelly, I believe this is the direct quote you were looking for, any comment?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So... I can only assume that JC and JailTrump are putting on a performance? I guess? You guys don't need to play sociopath Republican mouthpiece on a board with no Republicans to make fun of by way of performance art. You can post real posts.

It's getting a little too weird for me though, I'll try not to read this thread until 2018 when the Democrats are finally destroyed once and for all, I guess.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Four more years incoming.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

This would happen with any action on immigration beyond "legalize slave labor", btw.

We shouldn't be pushing for deportation, but the reason agriculture relies on slave labor is because wages and working conditions simply are not humane. If they aren't willing to improve conditions then it's on them for making the incorrect decision of no profits > less profits.

The whole point of me quoting that tweet is that the Democratic nominee is more concerned about the country running out of slave labor than she is about... human lives? She's perfectly happy to keep bringing in immigrants as long as we can pay them slave wages and have them pick crops.

The Democrats are gonna lose again, and the fact that your country is structured to never have a third party means that the Republicans are going to be in power until 2024 minimum. If they're smart enough, the people in charge will keep donating to the Democrats indefinitely, so that there will never be room for an actual left-wing party to take their place, and they could get around to bringing back slavery or whatever it is that the Republicans are working toward.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

Nazism doesn't count as a religion, I don't think?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Democrats lost the easiest election of all time, in which all they had to do was beat a ridiculous orange clown who constantly said outwardly racist and misogynist nonsense due to his increasingly obvious dementia. They outright refused to do a single god damned thing that anybody wanted, their entire platform was "hey look at what an rear end in a top hat the other guy is, we may be taking millions of dollars in bribe money and enabling a system that imprisons and enslaves you, but at least we're not him". Most importantly, they've outright refused to learn a single drat thing from the 2016 election, and have doubled down on the pathetic failures that got them here.

They don't even want to win, they just need to keep the bribes coming. If the people in charge of the money in America are smart, they'll keep the donations flowing to the Democratic establishment forever regardless of how poorly they do, as long as the Democrats keep working as hard as they can to suppress and discredit anyone who tries to make any leftward political progress anywhere in the country.

Why would anyone think that they had a chance at making any significant gains in 2018?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's a shitload of journalists crowding around a single busted trashcan to take pictures of it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If the Democrats are smart, they'll strike a deal between their corporate donors that they keep getting their bribe money as long as they continue to suppress any left-leaning progress from ever happening on any level in the country. They're legally allowed to rig their primaries and even admitted to it at this point, what do they have to gain from doing anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can't understand how someone can bring up primaries now that the Democrats have literally admitted in court that they rig their primaries and have the right to do so. And that the court agreed with them. So now they can rig their primaries and not even have to pretend like they're not.

And people are still expected to vote for them, even though the party itself is an undemocratic entity that cannot be changed in any way other than paying it a shitload of money?

Spoil your ballots, everyone, a vote for Deez Nuts is a vote for the democrats being a waste.

• Locked thread