Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

I'm not a centrist. I just hate you.

You just constantly support the centrists. RIGHT.

Nevvy Z posted:

It's almost like he's trying to influence elections in favor of the other party.

Yes,you mean like how you guys were in favor of not supporting Thompson because it would somehow decrease his chances of winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Look at how the majority of the centrists in this thread can't actually offer any defense for Perez lying about having a fifty state strateg.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SSNeoman posted:

We're not. It was a stupid thing to say. There's no way in hell Dems are winning certain states, Kansas was one of them.

Like the people there will soon shut down schools and the Republicans still won. Say what you will about GOTV, but if that doesn't make people go "ya know what, maybe it's time for something diffirent" well. And yeah, historically dems always got facefucked in kansas even on their best days. I don't know why the gently caress condiv is hyperventilating over this/
Remember the argument of defeatism is always. "We will never win". I mean thats why Scott Brown Lost in the 2010. Because the GOP can't win in deep blue states. Here's an idea centrist. Get the gently caress out of the party.

Also lol@ JC now trying to turn the guy into some moderate for using good old day rhetoric about compromise. Its great seeing you literal loving cowards and sociopaths trying to defend this.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 12, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

Like the story here should be "Democrats almost take a heavily leaned Republican seat, let's get motivated for 2018" but instead it's now "Democrats fumble and ignore a seat they could have won" because they wanted to save $20k for some nebulous future race which is bad optics for a party that is struggling to win elections in every part of the US government.

Let's see if the Centrists here in anyway try to counter this. You know then engage in more personal attacks, fallowed by trying to downplay Berniecrats contributuions and turning Thompson into a bluedog.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm not sure this seat was actually winnable. Once the seat looked somewhat competitive the GOP started dropping money and charismatic white men on the race, and they've got more of both. It's entirely possible for the DNC to have the power to affect the outcomes of some races and not others, and one example of the latter does not mean that it's useless.

Thompson wouldn't have been a blue dog, but he ran a campaign that was pretty drat centrist. Healthcare is completely absent from his website other than for veterans and seniors, for instance.

Oh lol. Now because the GOP actually tried to win it the democrats had every right to do nothing. I just love the idiocy of sociopaths like you. Also LOL about the website again. NO ONE READS THE loving WEBSITE BESIDES YOU loving CENTRISTS.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

ok. it's last week. you're in complete command of the dnc. you've found out the same instant that the RNC did that the race is actually competitive. what would you do?

remember: the $20k request wasn't made last week. that was rejected well beforehand. so we're not discussing that, at all.

It should never have been rejected in the first place. Also:lol: jc keeps up the website sperging so he can pretend that Thompson was a bluedog.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Oh lol now because he wasn't specific enough he is a blue dog.
Love jefferson clay constantly trying to move the goalposts.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I'm just going to point out real quick that using "centrist" as an insult is both loving creepy and alienating your potential allies (the Center being somewhere left of insane republicans).

When they undermine us at every turn they are not allies.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
"I support someone so much I'll think the national organization of what that person is a member should send them 0$. " -Someone who claims they are not dumb.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I would also say that in response to the trade agreements thing. It's one thing to campaign on trade for the reason of "We should have free trade, also it will lift all boats". To campaigning on "This trade agreement will help the people in my district and create jobs here".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SSNeoman posted:

"Please stop talking to rich allies and instead wave your hands to make america go Bernie's shad of blue"

Hmmm. How is actually supporting democrats in special elections mean magically waving hands?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Craig K posted:

to be fair it WOULD be pretty nice to not have to write in "puck the fairy dragon" in a fourth congressional election in AR-3 for a loving row because the ballot is Republican/Libertarian/Constitution Party with no democrats in sight

No you see we can't be bothered to five you any support.

My hope is that Thompson uses this as reason to purge the state dem party and instead of running for the house again runs for Governor.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SSNeoman posted:

did you really just loving compare the letter from birningham jail to the rhetoric of people who crow about IDENTITY POLITICS?

holy poo poo my dude

Considering you guys are jerking off to the idea of cutting the south loose. Its very much comparable.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SSNeoman posted:

That's really funny because I thought the letter from Birningham jail was complaining about exactly the sort of people who are too concerned about violence to help. You know, exactly like these 60k yokels in Kansas. I must have read the wrong one I guess.

We're not talking about people who lack equal rights due to racism, we're talking about people who took the rights they had and hosed them. You are loving insane to equate the two.

Considering that before he was murdered MLK was planning a huge march on DC with alot of poor yokels. I don't think you know anything about MLK.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Who was it again that argued that DNC chair didn't matter and that even if it did Perez was the best equipped to implement a 50 state strategy anyway? Haven't caught up to every thread but have any of these posters recanted?

These posters are the same ones right now saying it was good that Kansas was left to twist and turn in the wind.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

I argued that it wasn't a big deal that Perez got selected over Ellison. Unless you have some sort of evidence that Ellison as chair, rather than his current position as deputy chair, would have won this race, I don't see any reason to recant. Why should anyone recant support of Perez because some of you disagree with a single decision he made?

Because he lied. But then I know that you don't care about him not keeping the promise odf the 50 state strategy because you think everyone in red states are irredeemable monsters. What with you being an admitted petulant child.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Where is this happening? Obviously there's way more to it than that. We can definitely take those states back, we just need a candidate that excites voters. And visits them.

You mean like Thompson you lying poo poo?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

you're mentally ill. I will embrace your views of me and vote to ensure you can never get the mental health you so desperately need.

:lol: I see someone is engaging in projection.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Nope I would say the only time a state should be missed is when its a reelection for someone with high likability scores and constituent satisfaction like those two Wyoming senators.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Agnosticnixie posted:

Maybe nailing on crosses can be attempted if it turns out to be the only way the centrists will learn but I think you might be selling yourself short.

I prefer wheels.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

well at least i'm not a loving tankie

I can name maybe three people on all of Dnd and its subforum who are tankies. MOst people who despise the three way are not that extreme.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Actually centrism is all about horseshit about algorithims and models. I mean of course the people of Appalachia are hosed. This model proves it. Of course the dems don't need to worry about poor Midwestern. The demographics of the futures mean we will win all elections in ten years.

Also, :lol:. More efficient then hiring POLLSTERS! Seriously someone give that mook a swirlie.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 18, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

Triangulation worked for bill. The defenders of third way policies or triangulation will point to Robbie Mook as evidence that Hillary was just doing it wrong.

Worked for him so much that it ensured HRC wouldn't win. Also :lol: Triangulation can not fail, it can only fail.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did triangulation really work or did Bill get lucky with Perot splitting the conservative vote the first time and running against a garbage pile the second time?

I would argue that it kind of worked the second time. But only because promising to do all the poo poo he literally failed to do in his first term would have just made voters not want to show up.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

call to action posted:

Where did the person who was crying about how racist it is to help poor people go

Which person? There were several.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fados posted:

But economic progressivism is just a form of anti rich identity politics,

Check mate bernouts

http://archive.is/bMjB5

I knew you had to be linking to the federalist. :golfclap:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

It's like you want to the HFC of the left.

Woops, two pages open at the same time. I am chagrined.

Yes, although that would just be a start. The objective would be to get liars like you to vote GOP. Also :lol Jefferson Clay comparing people staying home because CLinton was uninspiring to Labour leadership attempting to mount a coup on their leader for not being a filthy blairite. I mean if Sander's had say tried to have his supporters prevent the Presidential convention from going on this might be comparable. But he didn't in fact unlike those labour traitors who spend their days going on British Television calling COrbyn unfit and claiming that everyone who voted for him (Over a million) are Commie entryists Sanders went on the campaign trail for Hillary. MUch of the time to the places she chose to never go to. But a sociopath like CLay needs this to validate being a sociopath.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 20, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The arguments being made here ARE dumb. There isn't discourse here that leads to anything other than tankies getting mad that they don't have full communism now. When you find yourself on the same side of an argument as people like NewForumSoftware, maybe you should stop and think if you are on the right side.

Who here has defended the tanks getting sent into Hungary in 1956? Because thats what that term means you know? I mean if you're going to use that term you should be able to back it up. Or if not that it tends to mean those who unquestionably defend dictators like Assad , the KIm's or Putins invasions.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, my post was stupid. But it was still very thread appropriate. You guys don't seem to mind stupid posts that much.

I'm a centrist. I vote for progressive politicians any time I am able to. I don't see how positions advocated in this thread by people like NewForumSoftware will do anything but push people away from progressive ideology and politicians.

50 state strategy? loving awesome!
Supporting D's in hard R districts? loving awesome!
Railing against centrists because they aren't politically pure enough for you? gently caress you.

Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate. she was still far better than anything we've ever had next to Obama.

If you were railing against the likes of Joe Lieberman, I would be right there with you. Instead you guys are calling Cory loving Booker a centrist.

Anyone who voted down symbolic legislation to make pharmaceuticals cheaper really cannot be called progressive. Also considering how he scolded Obama for bringing up Baine during 2012....

Also I'll agree with Clay. She was the democrats leader. She was a leader of the democrats, who rather then campaigning in states she needed, kept going to fundraisers in SF, LA and NYC. She was a leader who rather then point out all the issues she supported in ads or on the campaign trail instead talked about how her opponent being unfit. She was a leader who didn't allow money to go towards down ticket races. She was a leader who didn't campaign nearly at all in States the dems would lose for the first time in over a generation. She was a leader who after seeing the left do substantially well n the primaries made no attempt to create a unity ticket instead turning to a uninspiring loyal lackey. She was a leader who then talked poo poo about her primary opponets fallowers and yt then when caught made no appologies. She was a leader who endorsed a policy of ignoring or activley atagoniing traditional dem voters because of a imagined group of moderate living in the conservative suburbs. For all of that this leader deserves to be buried along with her vangaurd.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 20, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't think he calls himself a progressive. Also, I don't see the point of hanging a symbolic vote around his neck like it really mattered. If you don't think people like Cory Booker on on your side, it's no wonder you can't put a majority together. Instead of making GBS threads on him and those that support, you should see he votes with you 95% of the time and not try to push the ideologically impure from your ranks. Cory Booker ins't preventing you from achieving progressive legislative wins, so why focus on him instead of the R's that are actually the issue.

How is this not loving obvious?

The way I see it is that Corey is a enough of a coward that if Mendez who is very unpopular was primaried he would become a very proud blue Senator for the rest of the time that he is in Washington.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
If criticism during a primary means that Sander's sabotaged Hillary, does that mean that Hillary Sabotaged Obama in 2008? Wouldn't that make her a traitor?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So Voter turnout being down is the same thing as voter support for progressive polices? Doesn't that seem like a stretch? there are a ton of factors that go into voter turnout. I am not dismissing the line of argument, but I am not convinced. I would like to see more direct proof. If it ends up being true, then awesome. If it isn't then it would be a huge mistake to purge centrists.

IT's more like this, centrist. People support candidates who stand for something and can stand on the policies they say they support. BOoker, nor Clinton cannot. Meanwhile Sander's can Oh also voters don't go for people who like you believe that Bankers are angels.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I love it when people tell me what I believe. You guys must be running low on straw after all these posts.

Well would you support legislating breaking up these big banks? BTW this is a yes or no answer. Anything that isn't yes will be treated as a no answer.
Also agreed with Glyph on gun control.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey JC going to answer if HRC was a traitor for being mean to Obama back in 08. I mean you seem to think that lefties were traitors for being mean to her in 16.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

I'd happily classify the PUMAs as traitors to the party. I don't begrudge Bernie for attacking Clinton during the primary. But he wasn't willing to walk it back afterwords. Like he was unwilling to say she could be trusted after the Primary, he'd just pivot to Trump is worse.

When did your Abuela walk back any of what she said in 2008 about Obama?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

This is an incredibly disgusting mischaracterization of what he said and you are a lovely fuckhead who should kill yourself IRL.

What is it with Centrists and wishing death upon people they don't agree with?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Someone convince her to move to a red state and help them get a functioning government again.

Hey you going to explain why its fine for you to wish death on others?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
It's going to be funny if the centrists who are always going after us for wanting the party have some sort of purity will defend this.

Oh and I loved this.

Matt Taibbi posted:

The Clinton campaign was convinced that Obama won in 2008 not because he was a better candidate, or buoyed by an electorate that was disgusted with the Iraq War. Obama won, they believed, because he had a better campaign operation – i.e., better Washingtonian puppeteers. In The Right Stuff terms, Obama's Germans were better than Hillary's Germans.

They were determined not to make the same mistake in 2016. Here, the thought process of campaign chief Robby Mook is described:

"Mook knew that Hillary viewed almost every early decision through a 2008 lens: she thought almost everything her own campaign had done was flawed and everything Obama's had done was pristine."

Since Obama had spent efficiently and Hillary in 2008 had not, this led to spending cutbacks in the 2016 race in crucial areas, including the hiring of outreach staff in states like Michigan. This led to a string of similarly insane self-defeating decisions. As the book puts it, the "obsession with efficiency had come at the cost of broad voter contact in states that would become important battlegrounds."

These dumb fucks couldn't accept Obama was just more charismatic. :lol:.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fsif posted:

Just finished this bad boy, gotta tell you, sure hope they make pantsuits in orange.

But they do. Also :lol: Clintonites need to protect their golden family when it comes out that their such shitheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

If he had gotten the nomination by getting more primary votes? Yeah, probably.

If he had gotten it by Clinton being removed as nominee? Not a chance in hell. A lot of Clinton's primary voters would have stayed home, after having seen "their" candidate removed by an undemocratic institution.

This. Frankly i think if Bernie had started out a bit earlier with an intent from the start to be the nominee i think he could have beaten Hillary as he probably would have campaigned enough in the south to possibly resurect the populism of the rainbow coalition.

• Locked thread