Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gologle posted:

So is Logan's super senses a secondary mutation or just part of his primary mutation?

He's like Nightcrawler in that he comes from a period where you didn't necessarily have to have just one primary mutation.

The super-senses have been part of his character since close to the start. I want to say that they're sometimes chalked up to being part of the healing factor, but mostly they're just kinda there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was a period where the enhanced senses/physical attributes/healing package was some weird offshoot dog mutant thing but I think that story ends with a reveal it was all bullshit?

Rochallor posted:

This is the obvious solution, yeah. Iraq's even better. It's not like we're ever going to run out of wars to plop him into.

Magneto's history with the Holocaust is a more pressing problem, but he's been de-aged multiple times and magnets something something slow the aging process.

His slice of the universe has resurrection now anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Primary Mutations" don't seem to be one single power but rather just your initial powerset, which can be a single thing or like five different things. Secondary Mutations are just mutations that happen afterwards and usually are unconnected or only mildly connected to the original.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s the opposite. In all but about 3 cases secondary mutations are just variations on original powers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Just move the war to Afghanistan, someone who was 18 when we first invaded would be in their mid 30s now and we're still sending teenagers over there to die. If you need war time trauma and a sliding timescale our forever war in the middle east is loving perfect.

Ennis made a big deal that the Punisher had to be linked to Vietnam, which is why he's in his late 50s/early 60s during the MAX series. I think the Becky Cloonan run made him an Afghanistan vet.

But yeah, it seems like it shouldn't be hard to tie all your military-tied characters (Castle, Stark, Xavier) to actual wars without changing things irreparably. Creating a fake war may have worked but again, the racism.

Also: tying the FF's mission into a military operation is legit a hosed up thing to do with those characters. It really breaks the idea of them- and Reed specifically- as being explorers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Beerdeer posted:

I realize I'm at least 10 years out of date but I hate that Bishop is an active X-Man after the Hope stuff.

It's okay it turned out Bishop was messed up by the Demon Bear

It was in one of the innumerable X-Force books

EDIT:

danbanana posted:

Also: tying the FF's mission into a military operation is legit a hosed up thing to do with those characters. It really breaks the idea of them- and Reed specifically- as being explorers.

pay no attention to all that "we have to beat the Russkies to space" stuff in FF #1, I guess

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gologle posted:

So is Logan's super senses a secondary mutation or just part of his primary mutation?
The senses are perfectly cromulent if you just accept that his mutation is to be a better Apex predator.

Enhanced senses for tracking, advanced healing, claws, close to the ground...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Reed Richards and Ben Grimm were originally world war 2 veterans who fought alongside Nick Fury (original flavor)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metalshark posted:

Yeah, Kate & Lockheed are a lot of fun but the rest seem to be making up the numbers in the early going (Bishop obviously has an investigation going on at least). I hope there's a lot of Emma Frost, but Duggan is clearly having a whale of a time - especially that "Top Men" exchange with Kate and Bobby - and the premise is really strong so I hope the others grow into it. Fantastic art from Lolli, and it was really entertaining to read so hopefully Pyro's resurrection feelings and the rumour about the 2 choices before Kate provides meat for stories.

Knowing Emma the first choice was either Scott or sean and the second was already revealed - storm

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

bobkatt013 posted:

Knowing Emma the first choice was either Scott or sean and the second was already revealed - storm

I worded that poorly, as obviously Storm was revealed as a prior choice, but it is fun trying to think of who the first choice would have been. Banshee's a good shout that makes sense, and Namor would be an obvious Mutant Pirate King if he wasn't on his land-dweller domination BS right now. Nightcrawler also has pirate chops, but wouldn't be a very dramatic reveal since he'd probably turn Emma down for similar reasons to Storm.

Scott probably refused because he's a plane guy (and the whole Great Captain thing). Gambit has boated around Utopia and Madripoor and likely knows his way around smuggling?

Again though, not a big dramatic reveal. Even someone left-field like Callisto wouldn't be too shocking, so it's gotta be a villain, right? Toad would be somewhat insulting and I presume that he's amphibious.

In summation, it was Bloodscream. Oh wait, he's not a Mutant.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

pay no attention to all that "we have to beat the Russkies to space" stuff in FF #1, I guess

Political motivations DNE military funded project.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s completely in character for the FF. They are absolutely willing to kill. Mostly alien soldiers, but they can kill humans too. It’s why Sue Storm has her own miniseries now as a SHIELD spy. It’s why the Council of Reeds murdered galactus so many times.

Granted, they can usually find perfect solutions so no one has to die. But unlike the x-men, the avengers, daredevil, and most other Marvel characters, I don’t think they’ve ever had a strict no-killing policy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm a wee bit curious about where this Taipei thing is going because, from my sort-of-informed sort-of-experience, Taiwan is actually fairly progressive about civil rights issues (they had marriage equality before America did, for instance) which is part of the reason why parts of that country are so gung-ho about independence from China.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Billzasilver posted:

It’s completely in character for the FF. They are absolutely willing to kill. Mostly alien soldiers, but they can kill humans too. It’s why Sue Storm has her own miniseries now as a SHIELD spy. It’s why the Council of Reeds murdered galactus so many times.

I'm not arguing that the FF haven't associated with military groups or hasn't killed (though I think that's often a lovely FF story). I'm saying that tying the mission that turned them into the FF to a military one changes the motivation entirely.

Also, the whole point of the Council of Reeds was to differentiate 616 Reed from the rest of them because- and this is literally the entire theme of Hickman's run- 616 Reed places a greater emphasis on his family than the rest of them. It's in the text about 50 times where they tell 616 to let go of his family and join them. He doesn't. That's the point.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a wee bit curious about where this Taipei thing is going because, from my sort-of-informed sort-of-experience, Taiwan is actually fairly progressive about civil rights issues (they had marriage equality before America did, for instance) which is part of the reason why parts of that country are so gung-ho about independence from China.

That's not true about marriage equality. Taiwan didn't have marriage equality until earlier this year, whereas it became law throughout the entire US in 2015 (and was law in Massachusetts as early as 2004).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Taiwan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Weird. I was so sure that the country was particularly progressive about that issue in particular.

Which one of you punched a wall and retconned history on me

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:mmmhmm:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat I loved Marauders. The art is great and the story is a lot of fun.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1187736067153321990

Zdarsky doing FF/X-Men book = yes, thank you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow, it's been 32 years since the last FF/X-Men miniseries (which holds up decently).

I will now diminish and go into the West.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Holy poo poo, yes! https://twitter.com/rdauterman/status/1187734068076527618

gently caress yeah to X-Men/F4 too!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Wow, it's been 32 years since the last FF/X-Men miniseries (which holds up decently).

There was an Ultimate comics 2-shot.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

that mini is great and I’m even more excited that zdarsky mentioned this will be a kind of sequel to that

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So even if they work out Kitty using the warps, won't Lockheed still have to stay behind? How long does it even take to get to Krakoa by boat from California? Err, Krakoa Nubular, I guess. I forget what the different locations are called. Seems like when they're just saving a handful of mutants and not carrying tons of cargo they could use a plane?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

davebo posted:

So even if they work out Kitty using the warps, won't Lockheed still have to stay behind? How long does it even take to get to Krakoa by boat from California?

About five days, if Kitty's journal is any indication.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krakoa could let Lockheed through.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Is Lockheed a mutant? I thought he was an alien or a Limbo creature.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Anyone can use the gates, including humans

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wanderer posted:

About five days, if Kitty's journal is any indication.

And that included a whiskey induced navigational error.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, we saw humans enter in a previous issue. Corsair also isn't a mutant.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Marvel TV Topper Jeph Loeb to Exit

You just missed one of them, Bobby

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

danbanana posted:

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1187736067153321990

Zdarsky doing FF/X-Men book = yes, thank you.

Hell yes

Metalshark posted:

Holy poo poo, yes! https://twitter.com/rdauterman/status/1187734068076527618

gently caress yeah to X-Men/F4 too!

HELL YES

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Billzasilver posted:

Anyone can use the gates, including humans

That's true, but does that mean it can also disallow mutants? So Kitty not being able to go through doesn't mean anything about her genetics, it just specifically doesn't want her there but it's not rude enough to entangle her in vines if she shows up via boat because that would seem too suspicious?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

there was an Akira Yoshida one around 2005. the plot revolved around some of the X-Men acquiring variations on the FF's powers, including Wolverine getting the ability to stretch (don't ask me how adamantium can stretch). I don't think I read it, but by most accounts, it was pretty drat bad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parallax posted:

that mini is great and I’m even more excited that zdarsky mentioned this will be a kind of sequel to that

That's cool. Byrne's story was good about the ultimate low blow Doom could take on Reed and Bogdanove's pencils are naturally really good so I have a lot of fond memories of it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

davebo posted:

That's true, but does that mean it can also disallow mutants? So Kitty not being able to go through doesn't mean anything about her genetics, it just specifically doesn't want her there but it's not rude enough to entangle her in vines if she shows up via boat because that would seem too suspicious?

I think there's probably something to the theory that there's something weird on Krakoa that both Xavier and Magneto figure Kitty would find immediately.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Wanderer posted:

I think there's probably something to the theory that there's something weird on Krakoa that both Xavier and Magneto figure Kitty would find immediately.

Maybe, but that delayed her arrival by less than a week. Now possibly arranging for her to get caught up in the Marauders thing is also a ploy to keep her away from the island, but they can't keep her away indefinitely. And since it looks like Kate's going to take that last empty seat on the Quiet Council as the Red King, what could she possibly be kept away from in that role?

Nah, I'm betting it's something to do with her powers malfunctioning again. There's a new FF/X-Men book coming out that's supposed to be in some way a sequel to the original miniseries, and since the old one was about trying to keep Kitty's broken powers from killing her, I'm betting this is the first indication that Kate's powers are about to go on the fritz again, necessitating a new fix to keep her stable. Possibly the sequence at the end of Marauders #1 where she kicks rear end and takes name was to show her powers at their height before screwing them up and making her have to either do without them or use them with less than perfect control leading into FF/X-Men 2 where they have to fix the problem or she fades away again.

It'd be fun if they had to go to Doom to get the job done like they did last time, especially with Latveria on the "they don't take our drugs so they're an enemy" list.

Either that, or Doug's pissed at her for some reason and he's intentionally screwing with her. :shrug:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 25, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Supposedly Giant Size X-Men is an ongoing with different artists and characters in each issue.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I thought the thing with Kate and the portals was mostly a joke that there's this thing the woman who can walk through anything can't walk through :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Yeah, the rationale there struck me as more of a, "oh, phasing + gates = bad" bit of irony.

I suppose her phasing into Sabretooth's Not A Prison and immediately asking what the gently caress is going on would be a cause for concern, but nobody else who should be bothered by that is, so. :shrug: