Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
James Robinson is writing Cable. I figure there will be, at best, three issues before Jim Hammond shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, at this point, I think Laura works better if she's off in her own corner trying to figure things out. Logan also seems to be mostly starring in stories that revolve around his connections to other X-characters (as dubious as the concept might be), while Laura is some kind of stabby brand ambassador to the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Edit: Aphrodite's right. My bad.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 20, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Marvel might have to come up with another couple of go-to villain teams at this point. The Wrecking Crew just got beaten half to death and arrested by Doom in Infamous Iron Man and now they're randomly causing problems in Japan. I think the Wrecker's started franchising.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

New guy reminds me a lot of Stuart Immonen. Never a bad thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

RandallODim posted:

...how old was rogue supposed to be?

IIRC, she was meant to be a sheltered 18 when she went to Xavier for help.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I never would've guessed Kitty/Rachel was a thing just from Claremont on Excalibur, but when he came back in the '90s and early '00s, it felt like he was warming up real hard to make Kitty/Xi'an a thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The easiest thing to do is tell a story where somebody ends up on the Battleworld from Secret Wars/Contest of Champions, where they discover that the Maestro teleported Logan out of the Adamantium body stocking seconds after it happened, in order to have Logan fight in his weird little gladiatorial contests. Those wrapped up at the same time Al Ewing's Contest of Champions did, and since then, Logan's been living in a cabin somewhere in the wilderness of Battleworld with no way home.

It's exactly how Ewing brought back both Ares and Night Thrasher. You could theoretically do the same thing with anyone who's died.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

Been out of comics for awhile. Out of the stuff in the OP, what's good and what should I avoid?

All-New Wolverine has been good since its beginning. Weapon X is decent, but has spent a lot of its issues so far on a lengthy crossover with The Totally Awesome Hulk.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

An anthology book would work fine... as a webcomic or 99-cent weekly. There's a lot they could do if they weren't still shackled to the direct market.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Today's new episode of "Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men" is a show recorded live at NYCC with Chris Claremont and Louise Simonson. It's a fun listen. Claremont's a lot more awake this time around.

My favorite part is that it's been 30 years or so and Claremont is still remarkably annoyed about the original X-Factor run.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Roth posted:

I like Tom Taylor, but that costume is not a good first look.

My very thought as well.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Squizzle posted:

X-Men Red should be a team of young leftist radicals who fix brake lights and punch local nazis.

I'd actually read the hell out of an X-Men book where they're specifically the sort of "local superheroes" you sometimes see in the real world.

This issue, young Jean Grey spends the evening walking college students home from the clubs after midnight! Thrill as Rockslide helps an old woman with her groceries!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

And Quire is like the easiest character to gently caress up, or should I say one of the hardest characters to write. He should be an arrogant dickhead, but you have to keep him funny. I loved him in WatXM, and didn't in WatXM vol 2. Again, I think this Jean Grey series has a pretty good handle on him.

It seems like Quire is the platonic ideal of the sort of character Dennis Hopeless would prefer to be writing, so it works out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Laura looks an awful lot like Sarah Kinney despite there being no genetic relationship whatsoever, but that might be some kind of ongoing art error. I wanted to say that Sarah's genetics were used to patch up the incomplete DNA from Logan, but I could be mistaken.

"X-Men: Evolution" Laura was distinctly darker-skinned than comics Laura.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Logan walks into Jean's "diner" and, after a really token attempt to get through to Jean, shanks Annie. It turns out to have been the right move, as it shocks Jean into realizing who she is. "Annie" and every other inhabitant of the town is an illusion, as the Phoenix Force is trying to tempt Jean into another stint as its host by showing her what she can have if she agrees. Jean rejects it outright, on the basis that the Phoenix is trying to offer her a life without pain or loss, but that's basically what life is in the first place.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Yeah. Now she can be the girlfriend of Teenage Cyclops. I'm stoked.

Nah. Either they go straight back to romantic tension with Logan or they finally pull the trigger on her dating Storm. There isn't really a basis for anything else.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't even know there was a bullet in the chamber. What's the background here?

I'm half-kidding. As with a lot of Claremont's friendships, there are a lot of scenes between the two of them that can easily be construed as romantic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

IIRC, if you bring a copy of that book to Busiek to sign it, he will usually apologize for it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Morrison-era outfit remains Jean Grey's only good costume.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I can see where Jay's coming from with it. X-Men in particular as a franchise, between Claremont's various subtexts and the oppressed-subcultures metaphor, is ripe for a queer reading, and it's definitely not a critical interpretation I'd have arrived at on my own.

That said, there's a whole burgeoning field of critical analysis that revolves around the concept of the "transformative work" that I'm just never gonna be too comfortable with, and that informs a lot of Jay's running commentary. It feels a lot to me like fans attempting to assert an unearned ownership of the text by changing details about it to suit their needs. That's fine in fan work, but to my mind, not so much in criticism or analysis. Fortunately, it's not the whole point of the podcast.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

I had a feeling that this would be an awkward meeting.

Isn't there a thing where DC's Hercules is a son of a bitch more in keeping with the original mythology, whereas Marvel's Hercules is mostly a lovable dope?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

rantmo posted:

Pryde of the X-Men was an exercise in cognitive dissonance for me because all the X-Men were actually members of Cobra in disguise. The only one I remember is that Colossus was Destro. That was like, 25 years ago though, but that's how I remember it.

Cyclops was Flint, though. Or maybe Duke. One of the two.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Also, no mention of Destiny and Mystique? I think they're the ultimate Claremont gay couple in plain sight, because other things are more like "these people have chemistry", but Destiny and Mystique just straight up could plausibly be married.

IIRC, it was as close to canon as Claremont could get them at the time. Jim Shooter had some sort of edict in place barring homosexuality, but Claremont made it clear that Mystique and Destiny slept in the same bed, and the Shadow King calls them "lemans" at one point, which is an archaic term meaning "lover."

The same edict from Shooter is also the source of the Captain America story that introduced his old buddy Arnie Roth, where Arnie is clearly gay and in a long-term relationship with a guy named Michael, but the whole thing is written like an older relative dancing around the subject.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

They're both being written by Tom Taylor, aren't they?

X-23 is Mariko Tomaki, although she's building very deliberately off of much of Taylor's infrastructure.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Am I alone on enjoying Return of Wolverine?

Also he's totally in the World or something not real.

Yeah, that'd jive with the Daredevil-led squad in Hunt for Wolverine, where Logan's ostensibly been out in the world doing black ops for some reason.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't read any of that so what was the TLDR of it?

Daredevil, Frank McGee, Misty Knight, and Doug Ramsey put together an investigation team to search for leads on where Logan might be. They hit a few dead ends, one of which ends up putting them in direct conflict with Albert, the Wolverine clone from the Larry Hama run.

Eventually, they hit a site in Chicago that sends them to the local Sotiera offices. Doug gets just enough off the servers before they're purged that they find out Logan's been doing black ops for the company.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I honestly don't know what Callisto's mutant powers are supposed to be.

Enhanced senses. They usually never come up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I always thought '80s Callisto looked like Chrissie Hynde.

Skwirl posted:

And she lives in a sewer by choice? The Morlocks are really badly conceived in general, given the time period they were created they should have been in a Brooklyn tenement

She lives in a bunch of secret tunnels under the city that were typically just that. They probably smell better than ground-level New York does.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

How's UXM going?

The word I keep wanting to use is "overstuffed."

It's also bizarre how everyone seems to have decided that Jamie Madrox is the official whipping boy of the X-Men line. I know he showed his rear end a lot in Rosenberg's Multiple Man mini, but it still feels like too much of a swerve.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, that actually wouldn't be a bad limited series, where the time-displaced O5 branch off to a new timeline due to having increasingly troubling senses of deja vu that eventually make them take a very different path.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

There were a couple of good stories with the O5, like Rucka's mini with Cyclops, but overall they came to embody a serious problem I've been having with modern Marvel, in that it's using a lot of time travel, alternate universes, dark futures, and so forth.

I can only assume it's the intellectual-property issue, where none of the writers want one of their ideas to transition into a major motion picture or video game and make millions without them, so they're churning out a lot of content that feels recycled.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

It’s a fair point but it’s also hard to see what can be done to avoid it under the current situation. Why blow your best ideas if it’s Disney who benefit the most from it while paying you the absolute bare minimum?

I can see the merit in the Ewing/Ellis approach where they're making massive continuity deep dives to mine it for gems, or in Ellis's case, reinventing big parts of it so effectively that nobody realizes it's old stuff. That's smart, it takes advantage of writing in an old, shared universe, and it's something you could do very effectively with the X-Men. Hell, that's half of what Kelly Thompson's been doing in the Rogue & Gambit book; the first arc was Sh'iar stuff, and the second is Thieves' and Assassin's Guild.

Making every second arc in every book about averting a dark future/fighting yourself from another dimension/dream sequences where everyone dies/fighting other heroes, though, is getting really tiresome. That's half my problem with the current Uncanny, in fact; it's just a bunch of old X-Men beats thrown into a blender without nuance and seasoned liberally with Rosenberg's bizarrely myopic take on Madrox.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Archyduchess posted:

Also having everyone you fight be arbitrarily immune to telepathy so that nobody has to figure out how to write around Jean Grey.

That much, I can at least understand. If you go back and read a lot of Claremont's stories with Xavier at once, it portrays the Marvel Universe as a place where surprisingly effective psi-shielding can be found for free in bowls on the counter at your local doctor's office.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Android Blues posted:

It's mostly telepathy power bloat that raised the problem of every villain needing psi-shielding in the first place. Like, various stuff from the 90s, or the scenes from New X-Men where Emma Frost turns whole crowds of people into mind puppets, that set a new bar for what telepathy "was" in the X-Men setting, in effect just perfect seamless mind control unless your target had an extraordinary out.

Thinking about this over the course of the last week or so on the road, there's probably also an argument to be made that Xavier going public with his powers in the first place, and Emma never exactly being private with hers, would create one hell of an incentive for every government and organization in the Marvel Universe pouring a lot of money into affordable, effective psi-screening. We give Xavier a lot of poo poo for being a scumbag, and he deserves most of it, but he could've been the eminence gris for the entirety of the civilized world and basically only wasn't because he decided not to.

There's a bit in Priest's Black Panther, where Everett Ross mentions offhand that Storm's existence terrifies most of the nations on the planet. I'd imagine Xavier is the same, if not moreso, and has been since he and Magneto were Nazi-hunting in the '60s.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really can't get over the character assassination of Jamie Madrox, where apparently the fact that he's a shiftless incompetent has just always been his status quo for the entirety of his existence. Except no, there was a lot to say otherwise.

Did someone in a Madrox-logo T-shirt kick Matthew Rosenberg in the dick at a formative moment in his young life? Did a beloved relative choke to death somehow on a rolled-up issue of the PAD run on X-Factor?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

He's the main character in PAD's X-Factor run, which has a lot of fans.

For my part, it's not even so much that I'm a huge Jamie fan as that this is such a stark reversal of the character. There were around a hundred issues of PAD stories that discussed how Jamie's problem wasn't competence, it was indecision. Whenever he ran into a choice that he couldn't make by sending a dupe off to pursue every option, he just froze up.

As far as actual ability went, the duplication meant that he's a human Swiss Army knife who's studied and mastered an enormous number of talents, disciplines, and abilities. The Jamie of Multiple Man and now Uncanny being a constant roiling human disaster who can only make a situation worse--and to go from the dialogue of other characters surrounding him, like what Storm says in the most recent issue, who has always been that way--is such a blatant divergence from the previous text that it feels like the work of a writer with a grudge.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

So uh Uncanny #10 sure was something. It’s like they read the end of House of M and decided that wasn’t enough.

It reminds me of nothing so much as the start of the old "What If the X-Men Lost Inferno?" story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mulva posted:

I mean all of that is because Logan is a sad, broken loser that would be much happier if he was a young girl. Hence him constantly hanging out with them.

I always interpreted that as Logan being basically the platonic ideal of the cantankerous honorary uncle. He's seen some poo poo, he's got stories, he'll teach you how to throw a punch, and your parents really aren't okay with you hanging out with him, which makes it irresistible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I bounce between reading old 70's/80's Claremont stuff and recent stuff on Marvel Unlimited. Why does everything look so much more "cartoony" these days? Is there some sort of basic explainer? Am I just seeing digital wacom/Adobe art compared to the pencils and ink of yesteryear?

Yeah, some of it's computer coloring.

You also see a lot more artists showing up in the '90s and later who are heavily influenced by manga and/or who came up through the webcomics scene.