Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
At least with Magneto, there's that note in Moira's conspicuously undated journal that they lose him at one point.

Hickman's working pretty hard here to say that the established history of the 616 so far is more or less in keeping with Moira's win conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Weird thought experiment, pre HoxPox ,who was the most important X-Men character who's never died? Beast, Iceman and Storm are the three that jump out to me but I'm not sure if they haven't actually died at some point.

That's a tall ask for any character who's older than the '00s. Thanks to various crossovers, events, and Claremont-style issue-long fakeouts, more or less every major X-character has at least a couple of deaths on their record that I can think of. Beast and Iceman were both identified as among the "disappeared" in the first Infinity Gauntlet, and Storm was on the team for the "Fall of the Mutants" story where all of them were (temporarily) sacrificed to drive off the Adversary.

If you narrow the focus to characters who've had a big, cover-story shock death only to return later on, then it's easier, and I think you're right on all three. Gambit's also managed to skate on being killed and subsequently resurrected, somehow, although he has a couple of really close misses (including a bit in the James Asmus solo book where he gets shot in the face, but Faiza Hussein is right there to fix it).

Edit: I just reminded myself of the obscure Mys-Tech Wars limited series from Marvel UK in the '90s, where everyone on Earth dies except for a handful of surviving superheroes, among whom are Professor X, Wolverine, Gambit, and a badly injured Psylocke, but everyone gets brought back by a magical deus ex machina. I remember reading that as a teenager and feeling slightly traumatized, because a couple of the major characters who die, die badly.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 10, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rick posted:

I've actually always been a strong proponent of the "Rachel's mother was the surviving Phoenix clone not Jean" theory ala the What-If where that specifically happens.

I'm about 99% sure off the top of my head that that's actually meant to be the case. The fine details of Rachel's timeline have changed several times for one reason or another, even when Claremont was the only writer responsible for it, but the first big point of divergence was always that her world had the original intended ending for the Dark Phoenix Saga, where the X-Men deadass lost the fight on the moon in #137, the Sh'iar depowered Jean, and she and Scott retired from the hero business.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Is this all part of a lengthy interconnected storyline like the lead-up to Secret Wars, or just a flat-out soft reboot?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Can anyone with a better head for this sort of thing help me out here?

I assume he means the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga, when Jean showed up for the big fight against the Imperial Guard wearing the Marvel Girl getup.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

That's obviously what he's referring to, but I'm still not quite sure exactly what he means by that.

She says something in #137 about how the outfit represents nostalgia and pride to her; it's how she started, and if given the choice, it's how she'd finish.

That combined with the way she's generally acting throughout H/PoX makes me wonder if, in conjunction with what Hickman said about the resurrection process, if this is a Jean who actually did edit her own memories, or who's otherwise been thrown back or constrained.

It could be an interesting bit of foreshadowing, since Jean has traditionally had a stronger moral compass than Xavier, especially post-resurrection. I could see Moira deliberately trying to keep Jean weak as an attempt to keep her from being a spoiler.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

What exactly are Vulcan's powers anyway? some energy blast I guess?

Energy production and manipulation on a ridiculous scale.

Basically, all the Summers kids are blasters, but apparently the mutation was working out the kinks as it went and Gabriel got the ridiculous combo platter.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's one of those things that's quietly fallen by the wayside since Claremont left, but Havok's big problem is meant to be that he doesn't really have a medium setting. He's great if you need to melt a car to slag, vaporize some aliens, or destroy targets in low orbit, but anything lower than that is outside his reach. Honestly, they probably should have him in a device somewhere providing the entire planet with infinite energy.

Cyclops has a lot of potential finesse with his powers, and would have more if he didn't have that brain injury/mental block. There's a cool panel from back in the day where he uses an optic blast to shoot pool.

Vulcan, meanwhile, has the best of both worlds and a bunch on top of that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I read most of Claremont's X-Men and I still don't know what Callisto's mutant power is.

Enhanced senses. It almost never comes up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

I vaguely remember something about either Jean or Callisto having tentacles? And there was a hot tub involved?

That was a whole thing in the Claremont/Kordey run near the end of X-Treme X-Men in the '00s that I think I'm consciously choosing to repress.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I like the fight choreography for Kitty vs. the soldiers, although phasing a gun into two of them is one of the more borderline-lethal moves she's ever pulled.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Unless they changed it later, I remember that was specifically North Korea in Deadpool. There's a scene where Logan knows exactly where he is after taking a couple of sniffs of the air, somehow.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, everyone seems to remember it as North Korea. One of those Mandela things I guess.

No, it's actually North Korea.

https://www.comixology.com/Deadpool-2012-2015-17/digital-comic/47467

Look at the second preview page. I remember trying to figure out what it would be about North Korea in particular that Logan could smell.

I suppose it's less incendiary to use North Korea as a villain when there's a pretty close to zero percent chance that anyone in North Korea will ever read the comic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

danbanana posted:

Also they just introduced a whole allegorical war for the Vietnam conflict that shifts in time with the story so they could make sure Frank Castle was always going to be like 35 and so that they could retcon Reed's reason for the FF mission to the US military for some stupid loving reason.

I feel like that's going to end up filed in the same basket as Byrne's Spider-Man: Chapter One in the long run, just because it's easier to do the "Frank Castle fought in the [sudden outbreak of very fake coughing] War" dodge than to bother with a whole new historical era.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gologle posted:

So is Logan's super senses a secondary mutation or just part of his primary mutation?

He's like Nightcrawler in that he comes from a period where you didn't necessarily have to have just one primary mutation.

The super-senses have been part of his character since close to the start. I want to say that they're sometimes chalked up to being part of the healing factor, but mostly they're just kinda there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

davebo posted:

So even if they work out Kitty using the warps, won't Lockheed still have to stay behind? How long does it even take to get to Krakoa by boat from California?

About five days, if Kitty's journal is any indication.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

davebo posted:

That's true, but does that mean it can also disallow mutants? So Kitty not being able to go through doesn't mean anything about her genetics, it just specifically doesn't want her there but it's not rude enough to entangle her in vines if she shows up via boat because that would seem too suspicious?

I think there's probably something to the theory that there's something weird on Krakoa that both Xavier and Magneto figure Kitty would find immediately.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I kinda hope this means they're going to close the circle and Arno's going to catch an unholy beatdown from a pissed-off Spider-Man.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What's this a reference to?

Arno's technical first appearance, sort of, is in an Amazing Spider-Man annual from the '80s.

It ends with what's probably one of the top ten all-time moments where Spider-Man gets apocalyptically angry and beats the poo poo out of somebody, who in this case, was Arno Stark.

Edit: http://www.spiderfan.org/review/comics/spiderman_amazing_annual/020.html

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Archyduchess posted:

Doug Ramsey and Gambit take a cajun cooking class-- you'll roux the day you miss this one, true believers.

You wrote the entire goddamn paragraph as an excuse to use this line, didn't you.