Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah that does sound pretty great. According to Sina Grace it's going to spring from Black Widow's death in Secret Empire though, which is still kinda bummerful :sweatdrop:. Still looking forward to it though.

Meanwhile...this is happening: Phoenix Resurrection: The Return Of Jean Grey By Matthew Rosenberg And Leinil Francis Yu For December

I'd say this was right the heck up my alley, but what I've read from Rosenberg has left me pretty unimpressed sooooo...we'll see! Hopefully this will spring out logically from the events of the current Jean series from Hopeless 'cuz that's been enjoyable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm gonna need a sticker on the cover that guarantees no clones, alternate universe doppelgangers, psychic duplicates, magical manifestations, time-displaced incarnations, or some combination thereof

Besides the one we already have that is both B. and E. iirc
I mean, the way that Marvel works right now is that they could outright promise those things in bright neon blood-signed compacts broadcast across the world, and then end up doing it anyway, all the while claiming that they totally aren't doing it. v:v:v

Adult Jean's spirit has actually been haunting teen Jean over in her own book for a while so she's already kinda around, sort of. Again, as long as this resurrection comes about believably from the events of that pretty good book, I don't have any problems with it.

I really doubt anyone at the X-offices or wider Marvel offices have any long-term idea about what to do with the young X-Men. I can sort of envision a broad, vague direction at times, but then they'll just go and do stuff that throws that direction out of wack. Which is fine if it leads to decent narratives like it has for Bobby and Jean. But I really have no idea what their plan is for Hank and Warren.

Especially Hank. He's basically Dark Beast in all but name at this point, which leads me to think they would make his younger self more and more stalwart and principled in contrast to that...except that young Hank is also kind of a dumb turd right now, so...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He didn't even have his healing factor at the time either, right?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Especially that, because of how much it tilted Dan Slott.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

No further details yet. Not really digging the 90s meets MCU armor costume, though.
I just physically recoiled from my monitor.

Mega Man? Could it really be you?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'll be reading this because I'm interested, but I can't help but be a little underwhelmed as well? There's just no synergy to this lineup. Out of the entire cast, it feels like the only people who have any connection with each other at all is Jean and Kurt, and even then it'd be a bit of a stretch to say their history is all that involved.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think I might have conflated them into one single person.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm sorry but are you suggesting that Cyclops...was wrong??
:mad:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah but he'll probably be back when that James Franco comes out.

e: Okay this was supposed to say "when that James Franco film comes out" but clearly Freudian something something

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 8, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He's Damian Wayne; a mean lil' poo poo putting on an rear end in a top hat shell to protect himself, except that unlike Damian, underneath that rear end in a top hat shell he's just a bigger rear end in a top hat.

And this is technically an improvement from the days when he was a pretentious anarchist.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 10, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Young Jean is super dead, which will last about a month. The others are just unconscious.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Phoenix Resurrection was...sluggish, is the word I might use? Just seems like a series of freaky events one after the other instead of something particularly cohesive. Still, it's only the first issue; we'll see what happens after the lil' bits of reveals we saw, some of which are almost certainly fakeouts.

It's kinda annoying that it's clearly taking as few cues from the current (but soon to end!...:geno:) Jean Grey series as it can get away with, and in fact outright contradicting it in many ways what with Rachel showing up here being all "durr what could possibly be happening! It's not like teen Jean has been warning us about this for months. It's definitely not as if I personally literally saw the actual Phoenix right here on Earth just over in that book." Yeah, this doesn't bolster any confidences about this whole event being all that well coordinated between X-writers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So far Phoenix Resurrection is reading like three first issues.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think I'd be into Grand Design more if it wasn't currently focusing on the portion of X-Men history that I care the least about. v:v:v

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There's also a scene where the Phoenix resurrects the real Scott and lets Jean have a conversation with him to show her what she could have if she lets the Phoenix back into her. This however just strengthens her resolve to reject it, although she appreciated the chance to see Scott again.

This is...sigh. I kinda saw this coming. I'm one of the apparent minority, however vocal, that prefers the Phoenix as an aspect and expression of Jean herself, which is what every single actually good Phoenix story has always been about, as opposed to the Phoenix just being a crazy evil possessive force, which is the hallmark of every single bad Phoenix story bar none. But I guess the majority of readers just can't stand the Phoenix anymore and so we end up with this whole thing that just emphatically drones on about how this is not Jean and has never been and how she's better off without it and blah de blah.

I love that there's even a scene where the Phoenix shows Jean a vision of herself during her Morrison years and says that "we can become your best self," so it's like, even the writers seem perfectly aware that the best and most optimum Jean Grey was when she was fully adjusted to the Phoenix, but then we can't have that because "that's not meee! that's not how things are supposed to wooork" or whatever.

I will say that I liked the moment where the Phoenix gets smaller and smaller and Jean continues to talk it into letting her go, until it's just kinda sitting in the palm of her hands as this small, sad bird. That gave me a feelings. :3:

So anyway let's see how long this will last considering that literally every single time they've gone "The Phoenix is gone now! For realsies this time! Jean is absolutely never ever going to be Phoenix again!1!" they eventually just walk back on it anyway 'cuz *~comics~* and also there's in fact a major movie called "Dark Phoenix" coming out this year soo

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I agree there was something interesting to be said here about needing to let go of things that don't work anymore, which is why the parts where Jean had a genuine heartfelt conversation with the Phoenix about those things was quite effective. I didn't hate this interpretation of the Phoenix as something of a needy ex who, nonetheless, genuinely cares about Jean and wants to protect her from all the lovely things in life in really superficial ways. And it was genuinely hard for Jean to let go of the Phoenix as well, hence that final page.

But there's a certain level of self-unaware irony in a story that preaches about how important it is to let go of the past when it is literally, as it speaks, trying to bring a dead comic book character back to life.

And honestly, "bad things should happen in life because that's just life!" is not...all that much less shallow of a mindset, either. In practice, the whole message about needing to let go in order to move forward comes across more like, okay, here's all this amazing helpful stuff that you could do if you had this power, but you're not gonna do it because...that's not you? What? I guess that'll be a great comfort to all the people who you could've saved with this power but didn't? I'm sure you'll be real glad you stuck to your...principles, I suppose?...the next time an Eternal or two comes trying to pimpslap the planet and you don't have Phoenix powers at your disposal?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh man.

X-Men: Red was fantastic.

If Phoenix Resurrection sapped all hope out of you of anyone being able to write Jean as she's meant to be, this issue will resurrect rekindle reignite :sweatdrop: re...give...that hope.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I will say, I'm not a big fan of how Asrar draws Jean's new costume. Not armory enough.

Endless Mike posted:

I really enjoyed it, too. Having Jean basically rebuke Xavier's dream as too centrist was an interesting way to go, but it made sense.
That was always the core of her best moments in -- sorry I keep bringing this up -- Morrison's run. Jean was very much the figurehead of Morrison's more progressive, forward-thinking stances on mutant issues. Her speaking with T'Challa's group and with the UN in this issue absolutely reminded me of the speeches she gave to the reporters in the front the X-Mansion about all the great things mutantkind could do for the world.

hope and vaseline posted:

Loved X-Men Red. What do you guys think of the villain reveal at the end? I wonder if there's some kind of tie-in to Astonishing X-Men with Xavier being brought back there as well.
I kinda hope not. Part of the reason this reveal was so enticing is because the last time they fought Cassandra Nova, Xavier and Jean's burgeoning Phoenix powers were a big part of why they were able to win. And as that person says here...Jean's not the Phoenix anymore, maybe not able to go toe-to-toe with them anymore, and that's gonna be a big problem for the team here. (bet you're glad you said no to the Phoenix now eh Jean? :v:)

I wanna see how this team is gonna be able to handle this threat without the...tools?...that they had before, and Xavier showing up here to do his thing would probably overshadow that a bit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's actually kinda weird that mutants apparently didn't have a voice in the UN until now? I just kinda assumed that Xavier had filled that role, but apparently that mofo was lazy as poo poo :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Cyclops status: still right

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I was gonna post that the pitchforks and torches was probably something Cassandra Nova was making them do, but I also have to be honest that it's not as if Marvel universe humans haven't, in fact, done that exact sort of thing a lot of times without any kind of mind control at all, so "it's actually Cass Nova's fault" is not necessarily a given.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

As much as I'm really enjoying X-Men: Red, the team comp definitely doesn't feel all that sensible and just seems more like a bunch of random characters who were within the general vicinity of each other when the events of the story began. And then some characters who weren't even that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The straights can keep Gambit tbh

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I would be sad to see these kids go, especially young Cyclops, but to be totally honest it probably should've been done a year or so ago.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Is it just me or is the whole approach of "let's shuffle the 100+ characters from the X-universe around willy nilly onto like five books with different colors and adjectives on the title once and a while and call it reinvigorating the franchise" approach to these series not really working anymore?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Not that I blame anyone for skipping out on James Robinson's WW run, but Hercules appeared in the first issue of that. Where he was promptly killed off. :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Huh, I had no idea Storm would be an actual recurring teammate character on X-Men: Red. Does that mean she's off the Gold team now? As if I couldn't appreciate this book even more!

It does sort of encapsulate the slapdash nature of this roster though, like oh hey, you were in the general vicinity of relevant events occurring, great, you're a main character of this book now! :buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Covok posted:

So...anyone else reading X-Men Red. If so, how do you feel about the sentinel mind control stuff? I get what they're trying to say through the metaphor, but my issues is it ignores the agency of the actor in real life. While people are controlled by hate instilled in them by people with agendas, they are still ultimately responsible for their own actions and are bad people for killing people. The nanomachine mind control metaphor, while I get what it's going for, takes away the agency and, thus, makes them look like victims of a system of hate and systemic oppression. Which they are, actually, in real life but it doesn't forgive or undo their actions or make them something they didn't consciously decide to do. The story lets them get out of it by the nanomachines made me do it but that isn't the case in real life: even if right-wing propaganda made you a bigot, you still chose to act like a loving monster and you don't just get to hide behind the shield of "propaganda made me lynch this child."
I'm personally not all that fussed about it since, at the end of the day, "sci-fi mind-control making people evil" is sort of a standard thing when it comes to comics, and the X-Men in particular have always used these larger-than-life hyper-real depictions of bigotry to get their messages across. I don't think the main takeaway here is that hateful people shouldn't take responsibility for their hateful actions just because they were indoctrinated by systemic propaganda, but that this systemic propaganda exists and needs to be fought against in order to prevent the further spread of hatred.

And I do appreciate how this sort of message refutes -- however subtly -- that human beings are just hateful fearful creatures by nature and that's just how it is. Instead, this story's position is that hatred has to be learned and absorbed from outside sources...specifically, that someone with bad agendas is specifically manufacturing this hatred. Because that is in fact what happens. There's always a reason for hatred. There is a specific cause of this specific problem. And that means there is a solution for the problem.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Sure just...do whatever, at this point. :xd:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't think the multiple X-teams concept is working out at all. Not unless each team has something seriously distinctive to them. 'Cuz as of now it's basically just "Okay this year we'll put......Jubilee...Bishop...Nate Grey, and uh...Gabby on X-Men: Mystic Force and then for X-Men: Dino Thunder we'll have...let's see who's free...Storm, Magneto, Blink, and...uh, gently caress it, let's get a Hawkeye." and I feel like all the character dynamics are just kinda bland and generic throughout these books. Just a general vague sense of "We sure are X-Men! We got all this history and...yeah...mutants, right?"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This inker is...not doing Maleev any big favors.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Matthew Rosenberg is enjoyable enough as a writer, but I don't understand why they keep letting him write X-Men stuff when he seems, by all rights and evidence, to hate the X-Men with every fiber of his being.

Also, loving lol at the idea of "X" being able to so casually mindwipe Jean at this point in their careers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I really liked the new Iceman #1 this week! It's a lot more whimsical and slap-happy, which is what I'd actually expected the first series to be like. Now, I did like the first series what with all the subtle character work or whatever, but the lighter quippy tone really works here.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

X-Men: Red is so good! gently caress!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't actually know! I'm just swearing at the goodness of it! gently caress!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Uh lol why go through the trouble of birthing and raising a child when your child is already born and raised? Look, she's right there! The hard work is already done!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I of course really love Morrison's arcs, but one of the things that always felt off about it to me is that his actual team of X-Men, aside from Jean, were all...pretty weak. We had what is essentially a bunch of bruisers, plus Xorn I guess, going up against the likes of Nova and the Shi'ar empire. It never felt like those threats were going up against the full power of the X-Men, and the fact that they were threats at all had less to do with how threatening they were and more to do with how...not-threatening our protags were.

What I like about X-Men: Red is that Nova is now going against an "actual," "real" X-team with the whole gamut of crazy A-list mutant powers and...yeah, it goes about as well for her this time around as you'd expect. It's one thing to act like a great big X-Men foe when you're facing the most mundane members of the team, and quite another thing when Storm is going to throw a literal tsunami at you 'cuz you ticked her off.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah X-Men: Red is for sure the best X-book we've had in ages. And there's honestly no great secret secret behind it, no profound trick, beyond it just being really good.

(Well, time to cancel it! :buddy:)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Cyclops...........

..was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Ororo is one of my favourite characters, but the years have not been kind to her. Every time she's gotten a solo series, it's been either incredibly dull with no grip on the inner drama of the character (most of them) or pretty good but all wrapped up in prepping her to be married to Black Panther (the flashback series from the 2000s that retconned her backstory so they knew each other as children).
Did you not enjoy the most recent series, written by Pak? I thought there were some incredibly great, humanizing elements to Storm throughout that one. Along with the great art.