Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wiegieman posted:

Marvel tried that and it was called Champions, so I guess that finger of the monkey's paw is already curled up.

I love Mark Waid and hope he continues to write amazing comics, but that book probably should be written by someone under the age of 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Bought my friend the two parts of Asgard Wars, and the X-Men/Teen Titans one shot for his birthday. Dude has read a lot of X books from the last few decades, but the original Claremont stuff he hasn't really experienced.

That's not really what I'd use to introduce him to it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

It'd not Claremont quite yet, but I still adore Giant-Size X-Men #1. One of the first "retro" comics I ever read.

That was the last X-book not written by Claremont for years, but it set the initial lineup and at least half the new X-Men in it have been mainstays ever since.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Remember when they retconned it so Xavier sent EVEN ANOTHER team there before, never mentioned it, and they all got sent into space when they threw the island into space? Thus making Xavier a HUGE PRICK? Like, Lexington Steel levels?

No idea what you're talking about, there's only ever been two Summers brothers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

From what issue are the time displaced X-Men suppose to be from?

Within the first ten of Uncanny, I want say right after issue 6.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Laura doesn't need to be adopted she has her own apartment and poo poo already, and has basically already adopted Gabby.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Should call them Homo Sapien Sapien Sapien.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'm behind due to the xmas week delay in Canada, so just read Pheonix 2, and I'll say Laura stabbing Magneto? with her foot was kinda awesome. Though Diner Erik's star of david kind of looks like a pentagram.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know what the Star of David looks like in it, but it should be pretty easy to tell the difference between the two based on the number of points on the star. For anyone who's not sure of the difference The Star of David is a six pointed star and "Penta" is Greek for "five"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Canon is almost a meaningless term at this point in regards to big 2 comics

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When did Gambit and Rogue become a thing? I was doing a big read through of Claremont's X-Men but quit a little bit after Xtinction Agenda and I'm not sure they'd even met by that point, Gambit was pretty new and mostly just being pissy about Storm no longer being his kid sidekick.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

davebo posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not. If I hadn't read an issue or two of X-Men Blue I'd assume the very character of Bloodstorm was a joke, let alone their romance.

You could tell me almost literally anything was a plot point in X-Men and I'd believe you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

If you want Wolverine, then All-New Wolverine is already being published featuring the best of all possible Wolverines, Honey Badger. Also Laura Wolverine & Jonathon the Literal Wolverine are there too & pretty freakin' great. It'll help tide you over until Original Flavour Wolvie comes back.

That's unironically part of why I love the cold opens on Jay & Miles so much.

I mean the series you describe in the post is starring Wolverine's clone, Wolverine's Clone's clone and a wild animal they received as a housewarming gift. X-Men is complicated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Is everyone forgetting she was under mind-control from Professor Xavier's evil son and immediately turned good when she was free from it?

To be fair I try and forget most of what happened in that story. Mustache Colossus and Ice Gandalf were kinda cool though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't even know there was a bullet in the chamber. What's the background here?

They've made out pretty frequently
http://comicbook.com/2014/09/21/x-men-days-of-future-past-deleted-scene-or-is-it-a-blooper-revea/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No he said Jean and Storm.

Oh that, Jean and Storm were really close friends any time they were on the team together.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I've never stumbled across it, but I feel like there must be a reconciliation scene between Wolverine and Kitty at some point, right? Her last interaction with him before she leaves to form Excalibur is pretty much just an eternal repudiation of him for attempting to kill Rachel, but of course they're cool again in modern comics. Did the grudge just get dropped or did a writer address it at some point?

Kitty went and joined/formed Excalibur because she thought all of the other X-Men were dead. I don't think she was part of other X-teams in a major way until Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, but I could be wrong. Marvel uses a shifting timeline but even ignoring that that's a 15 some odd year gap, that's a lot of other poo poo happening that makes you forget old wounds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

This was from the other end though. Cyclops was talking about how he lost Jean there when he should know it isn't true.

Not just in a it felt the same to him way either, it really didn't make much sense if it wasn't the real Jean.

Honestly ignoring the whole actual Jean Grey was in an egg under the ocean while Dark Phoenix happened thing is probably for the best.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Was Madelyne always going to wind up a clone, or was that part of the "bring back Jean" alterations?

I think there was a point in time where Claremont thought he could get rid of Cyclops forever by marrying him off. That very obviously didn't happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

She went to college for a bit and at some point had a bad costume with one of Wolverine's broken bone claws.

Why is the claw metal if the only way she got it was all the metal on Wolverine was ripped away and then he broke a claw?

Also why does she need a claw? She's a loving ninja who can become intangible at will, not the most powerful X-Man but I'd rather fight Gambit or Storm if we're in a closed room.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Goldballs is my favorite new mutant since Quentin Quire, for completely opposite reasons.

Jedi posted:

It wasn't so much that he wanted to get rid Cyclops specifically, more that he didn't want the X-Men to be the same static team forever. The way he envisioned it, was that as time went on, older characters would leave and new ones would come in. Scott was the only one left on the team from the original team. He got married and moved away - his time as a super hero was over. Claremont was super pissed that they yanked him back into X-Factor - especially because he didn't take Madelyne with him. He goes into it pretty deeply on the episode he did with Jay and Miles and they also talk about it when they get up to X-Factor.

Get rid of was the wrong term, move past would be more accurate. Claremont liked mixing up the team. If you picked a random month and looked at what the team was that month every year it's going to be pretty random, aside from Wolverine and Storm

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 6, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Storm had a solo series awhile ago, was it any good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Morrison's New X-Men showing that there's Mutant culture emerging was a step in the right direction for that. Too bad no one followed up on it and we got House of M instead. :sigh:

Yeah, Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is good but seems like it's entire purpose was to undo everything Morrison did.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Putrid Grin posted:

Not every x-man is secretly gay.

If it's a woman and Claremont is writing, it's better to error on the side of caution on that one.

Seriously though, in an era with rising cultural awareness of gay people, but strict editorial policies meant everything had to be coded, so there's a lot of stuff that's intentional subtext mixed in with stuff that is unintentional but easily perceived that way. When you've got Kitty and Magik running around together it's easy to read into other same sex friendships as being more than that.

Also, with the exception of maybe Scott and Jean, yes, every X-Man is secretly gay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I hope it's like Spider-Gwen and no one says the comic title in the comic. Have they announced any new Tom Taylor books? I know he's still doing X-Men Red, but is he writing anything else?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

As long as they build on what ANW did, it won't be terrible. It could even be good, as the team is solid.

ANW did a lot to make Laura into her own person, not controlled by trigger scent or her history, but I'm afraid that editorial might make them fall back on it.

Though best case with Logan coming back, Laura and Gabby living with him as a family unit would be just fantastic.

I can't imagine Laura living with a parental figure at this point in her life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cabbit posted:

That one-shot where she went back in time and beat up Creed with Logan in Japan, and then had some family time, was pretty good.

I haven't read that one, was it the legacy book like the Hawkeyes and Captains Marvel? They've started popping up on Marvel Unlimited and I've been meaning to check them out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

How do you guys feel about Inferno? Thinking about picking up the Uncanny and X Factor issues from my shop.

The Excalibur part is probably the best, and completely separate from the main story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jedi posted:

Sadly, I think those days are gone. You're not going to have any build up to something in the future because that's not the way comics are written anymore. That buildup was primarily because there was a single writer driving the book for so long. Yes, it got a little ridiculous with the constant dangling plot lines - but when it paid off, it usually paid off in spades. With a constantly shifting creative team, that can't happen.

They had Dan Slott on Spider-Man forever, Jason Aaron has been writing Thor since 2012, and before that wrote Wolverine and The X-Men for 54 issues. The major barrier would be getting caught up in the endless crossovers, Which Thor and Spider-Man mostly avoided, but were a bigger issue in Wolverine and the X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is Axis worth reading? I enjoyed Superior Ironman and the Carnage and Hobgoblin minis and just did a reread of Ewing's Mighty Avengers which made me curious about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Beast is a bard.

That's an acceptable, if archaic, spelling of "The Worst."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

He tried taking a couple levels of Paladin when he was being all Moral Conscience Of The Team but then everyone remembered the time he nuked an underground HYDRA city and he promptly fell

It's a shame, he was only a few levels away from getting that sweet Summon Warhorse power

Someone needs to read Hickman's New Avengers if you think that is anything close to the worst thing Hank McCoy has ever done.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Refresh my memory, what exactly did he do that was so terrible?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb13ynu3Iac

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 15, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Until Jean came back, Beast and Iceman were the only doubles left.

So what you really mean is you want to replace Beast.

Good call.

Old Angel is still alive I think?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nessus posted:

I don't know, I always found him to be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's been called up and referenced like 12 times since then.

I liked the bit in Marvel vs. DC where Wonder Woman picks up Thor's hammer just before she's about to fight Storm, briefly gets a new costume, then drops the hammer because the fight would be unfair.

I think Storm just zaps her with lightning and wins almost immediately.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's just a poor decision on her part.
Then again, that whole hammer of the Nordic gods business sorta contradicts Wonder Woman's origin story.

Did one of these Marvel vs DC stories ever involve a meeting between her and Hercules?

Honestly, all those deities are a bit weird. Hercules acknowledges that Odinson is the god of thunder. But that's clearly his dad.

I don't know if DC has other pantheons, but Marvel is explicitly a pantheistic universe. The Wonder Woman thing is just showing that she's worthy.

Is there a listicle of people other than the Odinson who've been worthy enough to wield Mjolnir? Beta Ray Bill was the first to my knowledge (except probably Odin himself) but since then I think it's been mostly women: Storm, Wonder Woman, Squirrel Girl, Jane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Captain America and Superman both have

Then it's tied if we count Odin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So not the same Herk John Byrne used back in the day. Which was terrible, nobody read Byrne's WW.

I like his art on X-Men, but I've never read anything he wrote.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Thos AOL years were great. Especially when a bunch of people made screen names lampooning his JohnLByrne account.

Was JohnByrne already taken?

-Skwirl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yes and I believe he was asked about it and went on a classic Byrne rant over it as well.

I guess JohnLByrne is better than xxxJohnByrne420xxx, but that's still loving hilarious.

-Skwirl