Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Gen X was the one I was most looking forward to, but yeah, it's been rather mediocre so far. I really dislike the way Quentin is drawn.

Also, Jubilee's definitely still a vampire, right? She definitely was like two months ago in Hellcat. But she's spent two issues so far standing around in the sunlight like it's nobody's business.

Vampire Jubilee has some widget that protects her from sunlight I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah that does sound pretty great. According to Sina Grace it's going to spring from Black Widow's death in Secret Empire though, which is still kinda bummerful :sweatdrop:. Still looking forward to it though.

Meanwhile...this is happening: Phoenix Resurrection: The Return Of Jean Grey By Matthew Rosenberg And Leinil Francis Yu For December

I'd say this was right the heck up my alley, but what I've read from Rosenberg has left me pretty unimpressed sooooo...we'll see! Hopefully this will spring out logically from the events of the current Jean series from Hopeless 'cuz that's been enjoyable as well.

I'm assuming this has to be a fakeout because I genuinely can't imagine what impetus there is to bring back Jean Grey right now beyond "we can"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jubilee should always be a vampire forever.

Also in Hellcat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm not that well versed in the xmen stuff and I've had a question for a while now. Who exactly is Rachel? As far as I can tell, she's sone sort of alternate reality daughter of Jean, who is pretty much the same age. Is that right?
And there was something about them not existing at the same time.

And she wears a lot of spikes for some reason.

Anything else I should know about her?

I know I could just look it up, but asking you guys is more interesting.

She's a future child of Scott and Jean from Days of Future Past who got sent back in time, basically.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My feeling about X-Men has increasingly become that they can work as a voice for minority issues but if and only if those people have an actual voice in the story, not someone else speaking for them. I think there is a lot of good intention around these things but good intention can't exist in a vacuum or else it risks doing more harm than good. This doesn't necessarily mean they have to be the main writer but if they're not there should be a whole lot of discussion and inclusion before the story is told and real respect needs to be there.

A major thing about this sort of story that I think is an issue is that it's hopeless and depressing and the one big advantage of X-Men is that (as someone mentioned above) they're often about overcoming or growing stronger or learning to feel comfortable with yourself, which is why X-Men has such a strong community of fans who know oppression themselves. It's the sort of thing that allows one to overlook the increasingly dumb metaphor of mutants to Real Issues because there is a catharsis and comfort there. That isn't to say you can never have sad/upsetting X-Men stories (because honestly X-Men needs that to function as a soap opera) but especially in this day and age those readers don't need to be constantly reminded of the danger and isolation and suffering they risk every day just by existing. They are well aware of it.

You can make the argument of "it's not FOR them, it's for the people who hurt them" and yeah, sure, I know there are X-Men fans who've come to realize their crappy behavior thanks to X-Men, but if you're focusing on them to the exclusion of all else it ends up making weird artificial uncomfortable situations like this one, where the coded-as-trans person suffers and dies so other people can learn about it. This happens a lot to characters who are queer or queer-coded in comics where they get genuinely sad and hurtful stories so others can realize how sad it is, without giving anywhere near as much comfort or catharsis as other superheroes get. You're drat lucky to see two women holding hands, let alone kissing, and even more lucky to see two men allowed to be remotely physically affectionate in the way even women are, and it just gets worse from there.

All superheroes suffer and have down sides and misery and terrible stories that poo poo on their character or whatever. It's part of being a superhero. It's just that if you're not a cis white male you'll increasingly find yourself only getting very specific stories and for anyone who is or coded as queer you end up far, far, far more likely to be tragically murdered or tortured. (Part of this is because you're most likely a less popular character but that's part of the problem too. ) This is on top of having already limited or censored storytelling for every other aspect of your character because of the double standard towards traditional hetero relationships and anything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

The current Uncanny X-Men writer seems to be all over the place, but a glaring plot hole that I noticed is that Moonstar is a main character here, when she's supposed to be stuck on Nate Grey's pocket dimension (Prisoner X book). What gives?

I think someone mentioned earlier that is an intentional thing that is supposed to get explained later?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rochallor posted:

That's the real Curse of the Mutants.

I wonder, who is the most recent new X-Man to have continued prominence in the line? Gambit? Emma Frost is a solid pick, but she was around for a long time before joining the X-Men. You could make similar arguments for Namor and, to a lesser extent, Dr. Nemesis, but they also have super long publication histories. Possibly Laura Kinney?

I think it might be Glob Herman. He's featured more prominently than Quentin Quire or Xorn, who are the other breakout stars of Morrison's run. Nobody past that has come close, really. I know everybody here loves Rockslide but I can't even think of the last time he appeared.

EDIT: Forgot Hope, but then so did everybody else.

I think X-23 is probably the most recent genuinely successful character. Nemesis and Glob are around a lot but they have trouble penetrating outside the very specific line. Quentin Quire I think is probably close though. Xorn I think is mostly remembered for the dumb plot twist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Man if the rumor that was floating around along with the titles of the books before the announcement was even a little true the reaction is going to be interesting

For references sake said rumor was it's revealed all mutants are immortal

like ageless-immortal or undying-immortal?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

radlum posted:

I mean...he is not wrong. One of the reasons I love Secret Wars is that despite the mess Hickman made to get there, it has a very hopeful ending and doesn't leave a mess for the next writers.

Anyway, Rosenberg's run was crap. I remember feeling bad when people got upset at Blinfold's death, since it was just the first issue but now I feel I was being to nice. Pointless deaths, stupid plot, lame villains, poor characterization; I will avoid all of Rosenberg's work from now on; good writers have done OK or mediocre work on UXM, but his was on another (awful) level.

I would say the exact opposite actually. "At the end of my run I don't want anyone or anything to have meaningfully changed in any way" is kind of a depressing thing to read. It is possible to change things without having to 'put the toys back' as it were.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I know this is being retconned all the time but I will never let it go so here is me not letting it go:woop:: being the Phoenix was, originally and for a huge swath of canon, the manifestation of Jean’s true power and potential. In fact, the original comic that first revealed Jean (and Bobby) to be omega-class mutants specifically cites the Phoenix as part of her omega-ness.

Even if we’re going with the current retcon of the Phoenix being just some outside thing possessing her, Jean all on her own was able to hold back Cyclops’ eyepunch as lately as the final issue of Uncanny. I mean, it’s Rosenberg so unfortunately very ignorable on that basis alone :sweatdrop:, but the point being she’s always been known for her OP TK — pretty much more so than any other character — so it was weird for Hickman to lean more on the side of her telepathy being stronger. Heck, it was a little weird that Hickman felt the need to put one above the other at all.

I do agree that I miss seeing Rachel be powerful. It just feels like she hasn’t had anything to do lately but to get jobbed.

Rachel feels like a character nobody really seems to have known what to do with since like... the 90s. Excalibur was the last time I can think of her being remotely handled well and half the time it feels like people forget she exists even when it should be really goddamn relevant (like say, the Phoenix.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martinpale posted:

Honestly? The best thing for them to do with her is to have her go through some sort of "making peace with her past/future" story, and then have her use her hound/Caliban-like powers to do something good with X-Force or something.

I think they've done this like 3 times already and then it gets forgotten or reverted or it's technically Rachel Summers from Earth 811.1/2 or whatever.

BrianWilly posted:

None that I can remember off the top of head, but see like, this is sort of an unfair question because, again, all the amazing TK tricks that Jean has done as the Phoenix -- intricate manipulation at the atomic level -- was supposed to be, in canon, her own actual power and potential. So when a big ol' retcon comes along and is like "Oh no, see, those don't count anymore because we wanna pass the Phoenix Force around like a party trick to like Magik or whoever"...I mean, imagine someone going to the Hulk and being like, hey, remember all those times you did something super strong and cool? Well that was actually the Hulk Force and now we're giving it to umm let's see Rick Jones so now there's a bunch of Hulks running around aaand hmmmmm maybe the Hulk isn't the best example but you get what I mean :v:

Honestly I can't think of a hero who hasn't basically had that happen. As you said the Hulk is basically built on that. Multiple people have Spider-Man's powers through cloning or being bitten by the same Spider or it turns out that it's just a universal constant that there are Spider-Men/Women and they die in most what-ifs. Multiple people have Iron Man's suit or can one-up him on it. Dr. Strange is literally of a lineage of magic users.

A lot of how power is defined is how it is used, not where it comes from.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 11, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Yeah. Both Laura and Deadpool heal faster than Logan because neither of them have a couple of hundred pounds of toxic metal in their systems.

I thought that when Wolverine got the Adamantium back it was a fixed version that didn't poison him anymore. Or did I just make that up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair Emma Frost is the kind of person who is 27 for a decade

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wasn't too sure about Hickman's run but now I kind of want to read it. What's the reading order so far?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

House of X 1
Powers of X1
HoX 2
PoX 2
PoX 3
HoX 3 (most recent issue)
HoX 4
PoX 4
HoX 5
PoX 5
HoX 6
PoX 6

Basically between the two except PoX 3 and HoX 3 are swapped.

danbanana posted:

House of X 1
Powers of X 1
HOX 2
POX 2
POX 3
HOX 3

It alternates except for the the last two issues.

Thank you kindly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

The idea that Cyclops or Wolverine or Magneto or Jean Grey couldn't tell these nine dudes apart because part of their face is covered is absurd narratively.

The issue with saying this is that you're discussing superhero comics where all it takes a domino mask to render people unrecognizable to people who know them, let alone a full-face mask.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Is this really true, outside of bad comics? I get that the general public might go "oh it's someone in the Captain America costume, it must be Captain America!" but pretty much every single storyline with 'replacement character' involves someone being able to use normal human senses to determine that their friend [Batman/Daredevil/Captain America/etc.] has been replaced.

So far in HoX/PoX the only people we've seen interact personally with Xavier/"Professor X" (if you prefer) are Wolverine, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Magneto, and some mutant kids who don't know anything presumably.

There's a big difference between "random Gotham citizen isn't entirely clear how many Robins there are" (something that is part of Comic Book Reality} and like... Alfred being shocked that Dick and Tim are two different people. And the Xavier Isn't Xavier hypothesis tends towards the latter, putting aside superhuman perception.

WHAT IS BLACK WIDOW DOING TURNING INTO IRON MAN, WHO ALSO HAS THOR'S HAMMER NOW?

I mean yes, absolutely. "Every Batman comic ever" relies on the idea that the international billionaire handsome playboy can't be recognized by comparing him to Batman despite the fact that literally every LA Batman shows us that of course you can. Even if you allow for the things comics love to use of "Of course I knew all along" (Lois/Aunt May and MJ/whatever) there are still plenty of examples of people just plain not figuring out the obvious. Like Jonah never figured out Peter was Spider-Man despite A) hearing the dude's voice all the time and B) The multiple scenes we see of Spider-Man with his mask half pulled up so he can eat or whatever, including scenes with Jonah.

I mean this is true even of modern comics and modern characters. Ms. Marvel is an insanely identifiable young woman and her mask consists of less than a pair of sunglasses but only some of the people who should know managed to piece it together despite her face being prominently displayed and also existing in an era of social media where in reality it would take .3 seconds for some lovely blog to post her real identity for clicks, let alone the people who literally know her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Given that in her first life the world still existed in what seems like a relatively copacetic state at the end and she didn't even know the major mutant personalities... We can conclude all of the worst-case evil scenarios are Moira's fault.

"Everything bad is Moira's fault" does sound accurate to how things usually go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rick posted:

For all the hate of Deadly Genesis most people accept its characterizations of Xavier even thought they're garbage and based on things not any more valid than Nazi Captain America so you might as well read it so you know why Xavier is a murderer pedophile slavemaster instead of just a jerk.

I mean to be fair "murderer" "Pedophile" and "slavemaster" were all things Charles Xavier was before that. Onslaught in particular specifically canonized him having the hots for his literal teenage student.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That was in the original Uncanny run.

I know, I meant that Onslaught made that not just a one-off thing from the early days.

Rick posted:

Yeah that is my point. I don’t think a bunch of stuff written in the 60s without a single thought about the ethics of superpowers or the idea that these would be characters that survived for 50 years should have been dredged up to be added to permanent parts of characters who had been more thoughtfully written for 30+ years. I used to say “that would be like dredging up the racist Captain America comics” but they decided to do that too.

The thing is that Professor X having genuinely uncomfortable/hosed up relationships is not just a one-off thing like Hank Pym's slap. It is an ongoing part of his character and has been for a long time in both unrecognized and very recognized ways. They keep adding more stuff on but short of actively nullifying a lot of what Professor X has done that is his character. He is someone with good intentions and a lot of hosed up ways of going about this intentions.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 15, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

That's the kind of question that causes a philosophical derail and questions along the lines of "what constitutes a self", but for all intents and purposes, if he has Cyclops memories and body, he is Cyclops. Now the interesting thing to see is what happens when you put Bubs mind in Cykes body and vice versa.

This feels a little harder to justify in the Marvel universe where clones and souls are both known to exist. Like genuinely multiple X-Men have experience with the whole souls thing. Even if Professor X is putting their complete memories and knowledge into their heads perfectly, that just makes them Ben Reily, not Peter Parker.

We're shown that clones can be revived so presumably they have their own souls but they also are distinctly different from the souls of the original. So unless Xavier has a soul transfer machine hooked up, the X-Men dead and he's just making new X-Clones each time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Watch Hickman make the scene retroactively central to the XMen mythos

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Was I supposed to be reminded of the Zeon orgy sequence in Matrix Reloaded by today's issue, or is that just me?

I've seen a lot of people say that so I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

I am also 150% sure it was intentional that Emma Frost was flirting insanely hard with Jean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That panel shows her looking passed Jean, presumably where Cyclops is sanding.

Don't care. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah yeah, we all know that people could type literally anything and you'll find something to make a one-sentence pedantic comment on, it was weird in the past but I guess that's been your forever schtick now, moving on.

Regardless, it's a writer's job to care about what his characters think. Hickman is writing the X-Men. Not having the X-Men react believably to their new status quo is absolutely a fault of writing, and we just went through all this last week so let's just assume there's a bunch of back-and-forth posts for the rest of the page to the point that neither of us care anymore and everyone can talk about the actual important part which is definitely whether Cyclops tops or bottoms.

How is that even a question.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

Sabretooth: Krakoa's first incel.

Excel, please get it right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Exactly. If you went to sleep and were replaced by a perfect clone with all of your memories, how would you tell the difference?

What constitutes 'you' is a process, not an immutable entity. And processes can be duplicated.

A major factor in this is twofold:

They are not perfect clones with all their memories. They are regularly backed up, this is stated, but they will lose at least some memories and effectively be a 'earlier' version of themselves. The moment someone has a conversation with a resurrected person who that person doesn't remember is the moment that becomes clear. Not to mention the very real possibility of *duplicating* the person.

And the other is, as I said earlier, souls are real in the Marvel Universe, so it raises the question of if the soul is the actual one or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

But this...isn't Xavier's dream. At least, it wasn't. Not the way I'd felt it was portrayed in the past. Xavier's dream, the goal of the X-Men, was no more and no less than for mutants and humans to coexist with each other peacefully. Why does it matter if humans will eventually surpass mutants through artificial means? Who cares if someone's got the bigger dick on the evolutionary yardstick? As long as Homo Novissimo (I do like the sound of that, tbh) isn't hunting down mutant children in their cribs and that mutants are still allowed to live their lives freely and without fear, I don't see how this means Xavier's dream is doomed to fail.

Now, obviously, in the future that we saw, mutants (and humans) are being oppressed by Homo Novissimo and are essentially being kept as pets or zoo animals in an enclosed environment. So that does suck. But it seems to me that the blue humans' mindsets are what Xavier and Moira should be trying to prevent and not the fact that they exist at all. Why is it predetermined that the blue people are always zookeeping assholes instead of people who mutants can live alongside? That's like saying that mutants are always predetermined to subjugate and oppress humans, just because they are mutants. Which, ironically, is the exact mindset that Xavier and Moira are currently encouraging, when it should be the opposite way around.

If anything, the attitude that Moira and Xavier are exhibiting is the exact same sort of attitude exhibited by humans who want to eradicate mutants.

As near as we can tell, it's because rather than being different species that can co-exist, mutants are fundamentally a rival to humanity and time won't change that.

One of the core ideas often espoused in X-Men is that mutants are the next step in human evolution. They are, given time and lack of extinction, going to replace humans. (This is something Xavier brings up early on.) However understandably humans don't fancy the idea of being the outdated species that dies off. Making humans accept the idea that they will die off is difficult and that appears to be part of what Xavier and Moira's new plan is. Not trying to make humans and mutants co-exist but to create a world where humans are okay with the idea of eventually changing entirely into mutants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

It basically seems like if you take the view that "humans" and "mutants" are not meaningfully separate groups, this story is just going to blink at you in confusion.

So would the entirety of X Men. They have been classifying mutants as Homo Superior for the majority of their lifespan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

This is why Xavier's dream was originally so important. It was not about "mutants are better than humans." It was not even about "mutants are super special precious things and thereby need to be protected." I have no idea where people are getting those notions from. Xavier's dream was nothing more and nothing less than the idea of peaceful coexistence. The idea that people should not fear what is different, but embrace it. The idea that there does not need to be some violent genocidal revolution every time a new species appears.

Yes, the Cro-magnons may have killed the Neanderthals, who may have killed whoever came before them (actually, IRL we have absolutely no idea what happened between proto-humans and the idea that they were at war with each other is purely projective), but the point is that this does not need to happen again. We can move beyond that. This is why the X-Men, at their core, are and should be heroes, because they are ultimately fighting for very core heroic values of of acceptance and goodwill.

I can understand the underlying driving force of this run is that mutants have been losing and losing and dying and losing and dying and dying and dying and losing and dying and losing and dying for so long now that they've had all the goodwill choked out of them. I genuinely like that Hickman is directly addressing how downtrodden the X-Men have become, because it's far past gotten to the point of being ridiculous so yeah might as well make it an integral part of the story. But I do not like this weird reframing of Xavier's dream, and the underlying premise of this dream always failing is really crude and cynical because Hickman is essentially saying people will never ever get along and that we'll just be hateful towards anyone different from us forever. And if he really believes that the core of the X-Men is that they think mutants are better than everyone and so deserve special treatment just for being mutants, then I'm not hesitant to say that Hickman doesn't understand what the core of the X-Men actually is no matter how many fancy ideas he comes up with here.

I would actually argue that you don't understand the core idea of X-Men.

One of the core ideas behind X-Men is the idea that people are changing and becoming something different, and eventually they will become something different. In world terms this depends on the idea of people becoming homo superior (or something else) but in out-of-world terms it involves the idea of a new generation who is different from the previous generation. And that is something incredibly relevant in the modern day and age where the current generation is shifting in a lot of ways which the older generations actively are refusing to acknowledge or actively fighting against.

The new X-Men are fighting for acceptance and goodwill. They're just no longer willing to do it by allowing abuse to be heaped upon them. They are using their power, their community, and their strength to establish their own place in the world. In the modern world where children have to speak in front of the UN to desperately beg uncaring politicians not to literally murder humanity that is a far more heroic ideal than the "what if we just be REALLY NICE and hope they change their mind" attitude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I think it bears repeating that the start of this story could very well not resemble the end-- Fantastic Four started at "Everything dies" and ended up at "Everything lives".

Oh I am certain things will change and we'll probably go back to a more generic status quo, but I think the thing about this story is that it's not really out of character. Maybe we're not getting enough on-the-ground discussion of it in the initial leadup but I don't think it's an incorrect viewing of Xavier's dream.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

You could argue that, and you'd be wrong, but no one's stopping you etc. :buddy:

Generations are always changing and shifting in ways that the old guard don't foresee or like; that's always been true. And so incremental change does occur. But what you're talking about with Greta Thunberg is still the same sort of activism that progressives have always deployed. It has a particularly confrontational and condemnatory tone to it, but the anger of the young towards the old -- and vice versa -- is not a brand new thing that's just happening now. Thunberg hasn't issued any ultimatums. She hasn't offered any bargains and threats. It's enlivening to see someone like her act as the voice of a tired and angry community, yet whether any real change comes from it still relies on whether the assholes in charge give enough a poo poo about the noise that she's making. Same as with the Parkland activists before her, and Malala Yousafzai before them, and Columbine activists before her, and etc.

I'm not knocking it, by the way, I love and admire what they do. But I don't understand what point you're trying to make by citing this sort of activism as a comparison to Krakoan extremism when it is still ultimately just people...not being nice perhaps, but still playing within the rules, coloring within the lines, and hoping that the people in power will change their mind through the sheer force of your persuasion. That's still the classic X-Men credo, not this radicalized version.

Incidentally, you're confusing "wanting peace" with "being nice." The fact that Xavier wanted peace and harmony does not mean he was bending over backwards to be accommodating and polite to humankind. But he ultimately did believe in humankind's capacity for change and the fact that not every person was a bad seed just because a lot of them were. If that's not patently "heroic" enough for this cynical new world then well. Sucks. But that was once his dream regardless and no amount of fancy words will obfuscate that.

And just a point of fact: this attitude of his also applied towards mutantkind as well, the hope that not all of them will be as hate-ridden and violent as Magneto forever. 'Cuz lest we forget, time used to be that mutants caused just as much problems for other mutants as humans did. But that doesn't quite fit in with this current mutant unity theme so hey we'll just breeze past it I guess.

What you're missing there is that the X-Men are a power fantasy. You're right, people are not making those threats, because they don't have the power to. X-Men has always been a power fantasy but what that fantasy entails has changed over time. The old fantasy of "what if we had strength and community enough to stand against the people oppressing us and force ourselves to be heard" is still there. It's just taking a different tactic because the world itself has changed around it and what was once considered reasonable isn't anymore.

Xavier absolutely used to bend over backwards for humanity. It was in fact a major trait of his. He expected mutants to accept the prejudice and cruelty and be better than it no matter how many atrocities were thrown at them. He wanted peace and he tried to go at it through the Model Minority method which is something that stopped being meaningful since the Claremont era or before. Xavier wanting peace has not changed, or at least not that we're shown. He's just no longer willing to demand mutants sacrifice themselves in hopes that humans will be kind to them.

As far as "mutants cause problems too" thing, you're right. I'm not clear why you think they're 'brushing over it' considering that it is addressed multiple times in Hickman's run. However it's also important to note that the vast majority of X-Men focused villains are mutants who believe they have to act a certain way for their survival. Yes, you have the occasional Sabertooth, but X-Men has remarkably few "I want to be evil to be evil" villains. There is a reason so many of the mutant villains eventually end up heroes or on teams. If you give the mutants a place where they are not fighting for their survival every moment of the day then, shock and awe, a lot of them are less shitbirds.

There are obviously going to be cracks. Eventually Apocalypse, Sinister, or one of the other morally ambigious assholes is going to cause trouble. The utopia can't last. But it isn't because they're glossing over it or anything like that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 12, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, I genuinely forget. Did they ever explain what would happen if like, Goldballs accidentally gets crushed by a falling tree or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does that make Laura not a mutant?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest a big ol' fuckpile poly relationship is probably the happiest and healthiest way for that to go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFyCuKoEGA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Energy production and manipulation on a ridiculous scale.

Basically, all the Summers kids are blasters, but apparently the mutation was working out the kinks as it went and Gabriel got the ridiculous combo platter.

To be fair isn't Havok's power also utterly ridiculous as well? Cyclops really seems like the only one who got 'shafted' since he just gets eye lasers and not "can eat a sun"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Primary Mutations" don't seem to be one single power but rather just your initial powerset, which can be a single thing or like five different things. Secondary Mutations are just mutations that happen afterwards and usually are unconnected or only mildly connected to the original.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parallax posted:

weird thought: could xavier's back-up program ever caught some mutants who came from alternate dimensions, even if they went back to where they came from?

I'm actually wondering: If he's been backing up 'mutants' for so long, what about people who were classified as mutants and turned out not to be. Can he respawn Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver for example? or Squirrel Girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know reading Immortal Hulk has me wondering how the hell Xavier would handle Mr. Immortal.