Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Fritzler posted:

It's so weird to me. 3 of my favorite X-Men are Magik, Madrox and Chamber. I also love Moonstar and Cyclops (he has been really inconsistent lately though). Never would have thought this X-team could be so baffling to me. Pretty much just looking at the issues to see what Magik is wearing now.

Is this suppose to be setting up to a status quo that Hickman wants? I just don't get it.

Nope, Hickman is blank-slating everything, that's why he convinced the X-office to nuke all the existing titles. House/Powers are the starting point for whatever he's going to do, and i'd assume he's going to keep all the "major" continuity stuff and ignore the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man if the rumor that was floating around along with the titles of the books before the announcement was even a little true the reaction is going to be interesting

For references sake said rumor was it's revealed all mutants are immortal

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 29, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Man if the rumor that was floating around along with the titles of the books before the announcement was even a little true the reaction is going to be interesting

like ageless-immortal or undying-immortal?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

No idea, didn't say.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

I missed these rumours. I'm sort of assuming the "second wave" or whatever will include Leah Williams and I have fingers crossed about Kelly Thompson since she's still exclusive to Marvel, but the only thing she writing for them ATM is Captain Marvel, so I'm thinking a Gambit/Rogue lead X-team with a different title. Tom Taylor is on my shortlist for other writers (Honey Badger solo book you cowards, you've already made covers for the first year).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's supposed to be an upcoming Emma Frost thing that's not officially announced yet, but that could be part of Hickman's flagship book since he's a big fan too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

There's supposed to be an upcoming Emma Frost thing that's not officially announced yet, but that could be part of Hickman's flagship book since he's a big fan too.

Leah Williams wrote the excellent X-men Black: Emma Frost issue everybody seemed to love that was never really followed up on

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Leah Williams wrote the excellent X-men Black: Emma Frost issue everybody seemed to love that was never really followed up on

Yeah, that's what i meant. An Emma book seems to be her dream project, but if Emma's tied up in Hickman's main thing she might not get that yet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr and Mrs X, and X23 are probably as safe as any book could be. They’re smaller, character driven books that can easily roll with whatever the main status quo will be. It’s the team books that are going to get reigned in.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gail Simone and David Baldeon getting a page in Marvel 1000 or whatever its called is probably a good sign for Domino's future right

right??????

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Mr and Mrs X, and X23 are probably as safe as any book could be. They’re smaller, character driven books that can easily roll with whatever the main status quo will be. It’s the team books that are going to get reigned in.

Those books are all cancelled, but so's the entire line so I'm hoping they'll come back as something similar.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Both of those books are already cancelled though?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Both of those books are already cancelled though?

everything X related is cancelled in the lead up to Hickman's relaunch.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think what OMN was getting at is that those two books are the safest to come back after Hickman's relaunch but we'll have to see how severely he changes the status quo for that to be viable

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just think they have the best chance of all the X books to come out the other side of House/Powers resembling the books they were before. I’m optimistic that the X line will have a little something for everyone.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Skwirl posted:

Tom Taylor is on my shortlist for other writers (Honey Badger solo book you cowards, you've already made covers for the first year).

Ayuh.

I'm also of the firm belief that we'll get a new Laura and Gabby book (or something like X-Men Red where they're the obvious stars) just as soon as the "x-line" comes back but I'm less optimistic it'll be the same creative team and for that I'm sad, because X-23 was doing it for me just as much as All New Wolverine, or the previous X-23 series.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Diet Poison posted:

Ayuh.

I'm also of the firm belief that we'll get a new Laura and Gabby book (or something like X-Men Red where they're the obvious stars) just as soon as the "x-line" comes back but I'm less optimistic it'll be the same creative team and for that I'm sad, because X-23 was doing it for me just as much as All New Wolverine, or the previous X-23 series.

It will almost certainly not be the same creative team, because from what I'm hearing the "first wave" of new X-Books will be remarkably light on female creators.

It's possible there are one or two, but a number of creators didn't learn about the existence of a first wave, much less get invited to pitch, until there were already news articles about a forthcoming second wave (which is how they found out, naturally). So.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

EXTERNALS.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

EXTERNALS.

Will they be princes of the universe?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Blockhouse posted:

Hickman walks over to a whiteboard and draws a line through the words "explain how Magneto and Charles can be alive during World War 2 but still be around today."

Hickman: (with an evil glint in his eyes.) All according to plan*.

*= Note plan means keikaku.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

To be fair, Magneto's been de-aged to a baby at least once, and Charles had his consciousness transferred into a healthy clone body by the Shi'ar and, more recently, just started piloting Fantomex's body around.

All the other mutants are a bit more dubious. The latest issue of Marvel Comics Presents has multiple X-Men stories that specifically take place in the 80s using the 80s X-Men cast, and place Destiny's death firmly in 1990, which would make Nightcrawler in his 50s or thereabouts. No idea if that's meant to be non-canon or if it's just dipping a toe in the water for Hickman flouting the sliding timescale.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Android Blues posted:

To be fair, Magneto's been de-aged to a baby at least once, and Charles had his consciousness transferred into a healthy clone body by the Shi'ar and, more recently, just started piloting Fantomex's body around.

All the other mutants are a bit more dubious. The latest issue of Marvel Comics Presents has multiple X-Men stories that specifically take place in the 80s using the 80s X-Men cast, and place Destiny's death firmly in 1990, which would make Nightcrawler in his 50s or thereabouts. No idea if that's meant to be non-canon or if it's just dipping a toe in the water for Hickman flouting the sliding timescale.

Yes this is true. But here would be why Hickmans twist about immortality is important.

"Mutants are immortal. That is a reason humans hate them and how Magneto has been around since World War 2."

Now you have a dead easy way to introduce mutants and some complicated backstories into the Cinematic Universe.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's really not even a factor for Xavier, he can have the war he was in moved up every so often like the Punisher does. We're going to be in Afghanistan forever anyway.

Magneto? Magnets, uh, slow the aging process or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rochallor posted:

Magneto? Magnets, uh, slow the aging process or whatever.

Look at the state of Nazis in America right now. In a few decades they'll just update Magneto's origin to 2025 or so.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...man-x-tremists/

This is a really interesting interview with Leah Williams that goes into Betsy's body issues, AoX-M Blob, and has a great Emma Frost Q/A at the end.

I really liked X-23 #12, wrapping up a series that did a lot with Gabby and Laura's relationship. Here for X-Turkeys and an X-Cow, and Glob's got his AU chickens. (Olortegui's art rules too.)

Archyduchess posted:

I thought X-Tremists was actually really beautiful this week. I like Leah Williams a lot when she's doing more intimate character studies like this and What If?: Magik, less so the jokey stuff like Giant Men although I liked that too. Today's issue really got to me though, especially back to back with a particularly cruel issue of A Walk Through Hell. She gets the horror of Age of X-Man's high-concept in a way nobody else seems to, and is really leveraging it as a way of giving attention and thought to characters that have been one-note or neglected for too long.

:hmmyes:

(The ending of Giant-Man #2 though...)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My understanding is that pretty much all of the current slate of X-Books were conceived/launched knowing that they had a set number of months/issues of runway before the Hickman takeover, and that many/most of the creators working on the X-Men books right now are involved in whatever spins out of the Hickman books, and that there's been communication about all three phases of comics, so there's hope that this won't be some sort of Countdown/Final Crisis/Everything After Final Crisis scenario where no one really knows what the other people are doing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm not entirely sure I understand what happened in the last pages of Nightcrawler #4. Someone spoiler it for me, please.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not entirely sure I understand what happened in the last pages of Nightcrawler #4. Someone spoiler it for me, please.

Meggan's empathic abilities made her go all Mystique due to Kurt's need for connection being less sexual/romantic and more familial (hence his rejection of the club).
She went and found his daughter and got him to her, though she did it in weird Mystique fashion due to shifting between Meggan and Raven when she wasn't near Kurt when he was having a sad.
Despite Celeste's objections, the Stepford Cuckoos got everyone together to mindwipe Kurt & Meggan again, because this has happened before repeatedly.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Alaois posted:

i think what OMN was getting at is that those two books are the safest to come back after Hickman's relaunch but we'll have to see how severely he changes the status quo for that to be viable

I thought this stood for 'Old Man Namor' for a second and now that's a series that I desperately need in my life.

Well, I guess he's already quite old. Older Man Namor it is, then.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6UPDTPucg

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

JDW being a big fan of Schism is always going to be bizarre to me: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/06/03/x-men-monday-featuring-jordan-d-white-14-x-events/

Though I love the post-HoM X-Men era to Schism, I do see where he's coming from re: No More Mutants. He whiffed hard on the anti-Mutant aspect though - it's not a numbers/threshold thing?

quote:

To me, having mutantkind reduced to 198 people means they are not a minority anymore, they are a statistical zero. Hating and fearing mutants goes from being small-minded to nonsensical–you will never meet one, there are less than 200 in the world. It would be like hating left-handed people from Europe with the middle name Stefan–there are probably a few out there, but wasting your time thinking about them is silly.

:confused:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
He's right, though.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

He's right, though.

Keeping this solely about Mutants: I disagree that people would just suddenly stop caring about Mutants just because there's suddenly way less of them. You have the whole thing with the Purifiers striking precisely because they view it as a sign from God that their second chance to end the Mutant menace is here. I'm not looking at the Sapien League and thinking "this is so unbelievable", Marvel universe Youtube and Social Media must be a nightmare.

Just to cover all bases, Schism was shite. :)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When he's saying there wouldn't really be much fear and hatred anymore he's clearly talking the general populace, not groups like the Purifiers.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

X-O posted:

When he's saying there wouldn't really be much fear and hatred anymore he's clearly talking the general populace, not groups like the Purifiers.

Oh, I see what you mean. I still don't agree though, because there are so many examples of people who are tiny minorities in specific areas who still get inordinate amounts of hate. To hopefully pick an example that isn't uncouth to discuss in this manner, anti-Semitism is sadly prevalent, and there aren't that many Jews worldwide. .

For people with super powers - ignoring the weirdness of Mutants versus other powered people - I absolutely don't see the populace suddenly going "cool, I can stop having that irrational fear now".

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm okay with Schisim as it was intended to change the status quo.
The X-Men had been in survival mode for the last few years. Having two camps emerge over the issue of "do we focus on staying safe or do we try and plan and hope for a better world."

And I did really like how the Cyclops versus Wolverine fight was what Anakin versus Obi Wan from the prequels tried to be.
Two friends who have every single issue and aspect of their history come out in one fight

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Metalshark posted:

JDW being a big fan of Schism is always going to be bizarre to me: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/06/03/x-men-monday-featuring-jordan-d-white-14-x-events/

Though I love the post-HoM X-Men era to Schism, I do see where he's coming from re: No More Mutants. He whiffed hard on the anti-Mutant aspect though - it's not a numbers/threshold thing?

:confused:

I agree with him about Decimation being a bad idea that missed the point of the X-Men as a concept and led to years of needlessly grim stories, but then what was with the very similar "Terrigen kills mutants" status quo from a few years back? At least that only lasted a year and a half or so, and I suppose it might have been forced on him from higher up as part of the Inhumans push.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Yeah I dunno about that:

Wikipedia posted:

Documents captured in the raid on bin Laden's compound in 2011 show that the core al-Qaeda membership in 2002 was 170.

vseslav.botkin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 4, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Schism was something that I thought would hate. Then the break up story was really good and I thought I would love it. It turned out I was right. I hated the Cyclops half of he divide and loved the Wolverine half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Don't do drugs, kids!