Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Probably Magic posted:

This is getting pitched as an alternate universe, but this is the first time in... maybe four years, possibly more, where X-Men rosters have looked even halfway interesting to me.

Also, holy poo poo, Maggot!!!!

This is where I'm at. More than half of these I want to pick up just based on the casts alone. It looks generally strong in the writing department, too.

It is a bit confusing where the Age of Apocalypse nostalgia is coming from though. It's not an anniversary, the stuff hasn't really been dealt with recently. I really liked the arc in I think X-Treme X-Men where they killed off the universe for good.

Good to see that all six of X-Man's fans are getting a treat I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

amigolupus posted:

Is there even a way to rehabilitate Adult Beast at this point, outside of killing him permanently? S.W.O.R.D. was the best version of Beast, going back to him being the fun guy in the group. So it's a bummer how other writers turned him into a self-righteous prick who did terrible things and how it just kept escalating.

He's basically rehabilitated now, in that everybody forgot what a giant dick he was being for like 10 years, including the thing where *checks notes* 2 years ago where he was ready to betray the X-Men to the Inhumans.

He's still not fun, but he's no longer Literally The Worst. Which is kind of a shame, I would have liked to see him go full Dark Beast.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So are the writers just avoiding that Psylocke is now back in her "original" body? I haven't seen much changes to her even in Uncanny 3. Is her telepathy better or not/does she still have her ninja skills or not. Seems like a bad choice to do another body switch and not do something with it. Seems like they did it just to do it and not change anything else.

I mean, they never really did anything with it in the first place. I think Remender kind of approached doing something interesting with Psylocke's approach to her body in Uncanny X-Force but it didn't really come to fruition. It's the sort of weird plot point that would have been reversed an arc or two after it happened if the 90s hadn't been the perfect time for Asian bikini ninjas and eventually Betsy was one of those for longer than she was a British loungewear lady and inertia kicked it. It's not like Jean Grey spent 10 years running around with tentacle arms.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Metalshark posted:

*Like Dead Souls, this was, for me, both entertaining and bullshit towards the characters involved, if that makes sense?

This makes total sense to me. Dead Souls was really engaging after the first issue or so and its take on most of the characters involved wasn't totally wrong, so it got a lot of slack from me for being a fun book with vaguely recognizable versions of my favorite characters.

I'll defend fairly large stretches of the line up through Secret Wars; there's plenty to love in the Utopia era, I think Bendis' runs on Uncanny and especially All-New were quite good, and Gillen's run is probably my favorite since Claremont. But post SW, the flagship books have just been dire. The only good flagship book since then was probably Hopeless' All-New run. Everything has just been endless rehashes of rehashes.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
My dream Marvel pitch basically revolves around old man Magneto trying to go back to his roots and ending up going to synagogue.

He's never really been portrayed as religious, or even culturally Jewish, has he? The most we get are allusions to the Holocaust, and I guess his going to the survivors' gathering in X-Men 200 implies that he still feels some connection with his heritage. But he's not putting up a menorah or celebrating Purim or anything.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Aphrodite posted:

They’re not his kids anymore so they wouldn’t even be ethnically Jewish.

According to strictly Orthodox rules, whether or not you're Jewish is passed down matrilineally, and Magda was apparently a Romani, not a Jew. So unless Polaris (and also sometimes Pietro and Wanda) are actively practicing, they're not necessarily Jewish.

The real question is: is Joseph Jewish? Please cite the Talmud in your answer.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I really like that lineup, in as much as I'm going to like anything with Cyclops and like most of the New Mutants, but yeah Rosenberg has done absolutely nothing to give me confidence in his writing. Tom Taylor or G. Willow Wilson or somebody would get my rear end in a seat, but Rosenberg's never risen beyond ''that was okay, I guess.''

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gymer posted:

Did adult Bobby actually come out yet or is it just assumed?

He's been out at least since his solo series. I think maybe he'd told a couple people since then.

Also, what a loving horrible idea. And besides, unless Marvel Time is even stranger than it appears, it's not like Bobby's going to be closeted in the 60s. He's going to be closeted after Ellen Degeneres had a sitcom and while Will and Grace is on the air. Yeah, his family sucks, but still. Have Jean give a last little nudge to Bobby or just let everybody have like one important thing they can remember or literally anything besides re-closeting a character because loving jeez.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's been a while since I read Vol. 3 of New Mutants; I remember thoroughly enjoying the whole thing quite a bit, but years on honestly nothing really sticks out as memorable. Vol. 2 did absolutely nothing for me, though.

The recent New Mutants: Dead Souls is a good story that has the New Mutants in it, but it is not a good story about the New Mutants.

And if you haven't read them already, Ewing's run on New Avengers and then U.S.Avengers features first Sam and Roberto as main characters and has all the others as at least cameos. It's also one of the best bits of comics of the last ten years, that stuff besides.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The new X-Force series is pretty much more of the same. It's not aggressively bad, but it feels basically like everything else that's going on in the line right now. I like the idea of Kid Cable, but I don't have a grasp on his character yet, and I bounced off of Extermination pretty hard so no idea what he's like in that.

I did finally go back and finish Weapon X a couple weeks ago, and while there were stretches of it I didn't care for, the Hulkverine arc was surprisingly good and the final arc with everybody going to Hell was really fun. It was the only time I really cared for Good Sabretooth as a character, to the point that finally undoing that note actually felt a bit sad.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cabbit posted:

Far be it for me to defend CharlesTheHammer, but it's entirely possible for Marvel to realize that they could get a bigger bang for their buck putting more emphasis on the properties they have the movie rights for while simultaneously understanding that there are a variety of good reasons to keep publish X-Men books at a decent clip.

I think this is basically it, yeah. There was never any edict to kill the X-Men or whatever, but there was very much a push to see if they could make Inhumans a big thing, too. And they tried for like ten years and it seems like the answer was no.

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a stretch in the 80s or very early 90s when Cloak and Dagger's comic was formally called "The Mutant Misadventures of Cloak and Dagger" because this was when the X-Men were so huge that the word "mutant" on the cover of a comic was enough to sell the book.

Are there any other characters that got this treatment? I know that's the reason Namor is a mutant. Squirrel Girl was previously, but she never had a book to push so it's probably not related.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Collaborative writing isn't inherently bad, but from experience it can be very difficult to pull off, and the skills required are don't completely overlap with the skills needed to be a solo writer.

It would also help if there was more than one consistentely good writer on the team, but

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Archyduchess posted:

I really didn't like it. It wasn't shoddily put together or anything but a bunch of elements rubbed me the wrong way.

-Death of X was not a great story, but it was by an author I respect, and it felt kind of crummy for Cable and Cyclops (acting presumably as a vehicle for the voice of editorial) to say "that sucked! It was lovely! Boo to that!" I feel like they could have pulled off this retcon without any of the spite.

-As mentioned, why does dying and coming back de-radicalize Cyclops, other than a desire by the creators to hit the reset button? It feels cheap, it undoes a bunch of character development I was very fond of, and it seems in line, in a way that makes me uncomfortbale, with the centrist political drift of Uncanny so far, this urge to turn the X-Men apolitical.

To be fair, the whole point of Death of X is that Cyclops' death sucked and was lovely, which is why Emma had to work so hard to give him something resembling a proper one.

Completely agreed on the "Cyclops was wrong" thing. I'll accept that they probably want to take the character in a new direction, and that's bound to happen in a commercially-owned character, but the best part about "Cyclops was right" was that he loving was. He did what he needed to do to ensure that mutants survived, and it worked. He never gave up, he never turned evil (Phoenix shenanigans slightly aside), and he kept fighting until he died. I'm a Cyclops apologist generally, but post M-Day/Utopia Cyclops is the best there ever was. And there are ways you could have sent that character off in a new direction instead of throwing him into reverse.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
All the stuff surrounding Madelyne in Inferno comes from Marvel resurrecting Jean Grey against Claremont's wishes. It's not really done in a meta sense, but all of her rage and willingness to burn the world down comes from the fact that she was textually only a replacement for the real Jean, and now that the original is alive there's no reason for her to be. Scott leaves her, Sinister tries to kill her. What is there left to do but burn everything they've tried to build down?

I really like Inferno for lots of reasons, but the borderline meta approach to Claremont and Simonson's approach to Madelyne is up there.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Huh, I never knew Layton was involved. From how quickly he got shuffled off I kind of assumed the whole thing was an editor driven anniversary thing and nobody actually wanted to write the book.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Diet Poison posted:

When was the last time the "main" X-Book was good? I think Bendis' All New + Uncanny started out okay but there wasn't really one moment it stopped being good.
But I mean the great thing about X-Men is there's (usually) so many books that there's always at least one good one going! Just as long as they keep X-23 and Mr & Mrs X running for a while. At least until they bring back X-Dudes (featuring Honey Badger this time).

I think what's so depressing about there not being a good "main" X-Book recently is that going back probably to at least Morrison, there's been at least one solid central book going on. That's as long as I've been aware of comics, basically. You've got Morrison to Whedon, plus Mike Carey's super-long run in the adjacent books, some good stuff going on in New (Young?) X-Men with the kids, Utopia stuff, Wolverine and the X-Men, going into Gillen's Uncanny and then Bendis. That's a good 15 year stretch.

The best we've had since Secret Wars is Hopeless' All-New X-Men, which I enjoyed rather well, but it's not matching the level of earlier stuff. X-Men Red barely stuck around long enough to count as a main book.

wielder posted:

You know, Kieron Gillen did a pretty good job not losing track of what he was going for even with a couple of crossovers thrown his way. He did some interesting things with Mr. Sinister in particular.

I'm never gonna stop stanning for Gillen, but he's probably in my top 3 main X-writers. That early arc with the possessed Juggernaut is amazing, I absolutely dig his take on Mr. Sinister, and the way he dealt with the Phoenix 5, just in how they acted and perceived the world and each other, was amazing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rick posted:

Oh yeah, I'm reading Gold actually.

Was the Wolverine and the X-Men book considered main?

I think so. I was kind of off the comics train just after that but I'm pretty sure that at least in marketing, they were pushing Wolverine and the X-Men as a direct counterpart to Cyclops' folks in Uncanny post-Schism.

Anyway, Uncanny X-Men 11 is a flaming pile of poo poo.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It would have had more of an impact had Logan's return had been any sort of surprise at all (besides marketing, I don't expect that anybody comes into these things truly unspoiled). But his return was heralded by like seven mini-series consisting of people going, "Hey, Wolverine's back" and then teased almost two years earlier.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Actually, I went back to look at the pages since I didn't remember seeing it when I first read them... whatever happened to #hotclaws? Because Logan's claws are clearly between body and local temperature.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Android Blues posted:

Angel's been doing the whole "trying desperately to control the Archangel personality" thing for a while now, most recently in the first leg of Astonishing X-Men, and the events leading up to Age of X-Man, where he became one of X-Man's horsemen.

So that's once in UXF, once in Uncanny, and now TWICE in Astonishing that we've recycled this plot? Good gravy. Why even write Warren if that's what you're gonna do with him?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I remember Chris Claremont in some interview saying he wanted to do an issue where all the X-Men start putting bets on how long it'll take Wolverine to come back to life and Marvel put the kibosh on it.

Did they even technically die this time? I was really not following the Uncanny relaunch closely but didn't everybody just vanish at the end? Regardless, Wolverine and Cyclops have no idea how this event is gonna last so it makes sensethey should probably just carry on by themselves.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

wiegieman posted:

Cyclops was stone cold dead and the Phoenix force briefly brought him back. Cable used a future science thingy to steal some of its power and make it permanent.

My bad, I was talking about the X-Men there. IIRC X-Man just kind of ragequit Earth-616 at the end of #10, I don't think anybody technically died there.

As much as I've hated Uncanny so far I did actually enjoy the mechanics of the Cyclops resurrection. It was... plausible? Which is a weird way to talk about coming back to life but there's a bit more to in that "turns out he wasn't dead after all."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there a good lowdown on what Age of X-Man is and how it came to be?

As somebody who read like the last 3 pages of UXM 10, Nate Grey merged (?) with Legion and tried to create a utopia, and when that failed for whatever reason, he ragequit the 616 and took all the X-Men present with him to a parallel world where no love is allowed and this is enforced by horny cops.

I haven't had the chance to sit down with any of the miniseries yet but it seems like people are enjoying it a lot.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The mistakes Uncanny is making are the mistakes it's been making ever since the relaunch, so this isn't new ground, but gently caress did I hate Chamber giving Cyclops grief for "promising and not delivering" to save mutants. He saved the mutants like five separate times before he ate it. A good example of Cyclops doing stupid poo poo to save mutants would be beating up the Marauders for no reason. Because of course they're still prowling the New York City sewers like it's 1985.

I really hate this book.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
4 Kids Walk into a Bank was quite good so Rosenberg's not without talent, but none of his X-related stuff has left me with the impression that he likes these characters. The main thrust of the plot in Dead Souls is pretty good at least, even if it fails the characters. Here, it seems like he'd rather be doing anything else. There's not even a half-decent plot to carry things along, it's just "what if Uncanny was X-Force?" Which we already did like two years ago.

And on the character side, nobody cares that the New Mutants have gone all techno-organic. There's a single word balloon recapping the situation. Nobody's concerned for their well-being, nobody's wondering if they can be counted on in a fight, nobody's asking if there's a way to turn them back to normal. Nobody cares.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When the first couple pages of this issue were previewed, I joked that Dark Beast was becoming the moral center of the team since he was the first person to express concern that the New Mutants had been all Warlock-ized. It was clearly a ploy for Dark Beast to escape his captivity, I thought, but it really speaks ill of the book that he's the first person to actually care.

And then… it wasn't a ploy to escape. He actually helps the New Mutants. Sure, he gets a chance to do what was presumably mad science, but wouldn't Rosenberg's Cyclops do the same thing if he thought transferring the T-O virus to a Madrox clone would help him kill the Nasty Boys or whoever the gently caress?

Dark Beast really is the heart of this run.

And the rest of the issue sucked too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, it's possible for X-men to do a story about a transperson being murdered, but a) it should actually star a transperson, b) it shouldn't be literally the ONLY story about a transperson you've ever done, and c) it should actually be about the transperson, not a bunch of cis white dudes having manpain over their death. This story fails on all three counts.

It's a separate issue, but Rosenberg filling his run with cheap shock deaths doesn't do this story any favors, either.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dawgstar posted:

Sort of speaking of Moonstar, one thing I always do enjoy seeing is which B-list or lower mutant the new writer will 'promote' to their book. Although then you get like ten writers in five years and so there's a bunch of people who were once 'real' X-Men now relegated to background shots at the Academy or something.

That's the real Curse of the Mutants.

I wonder, who is the most recent new X-Man to have continued prominence in the line? Gambit? Emma Frost is a solid pick, but she was around for a long time before joining the X-Men. You could make similar arguments for Namor and, to a lesser extent, Dr. Nemesis, but they also have super long publication histories. Possibly Laura Kinney?

I think it might be Glob Herman. He's featured more prominently than Quentin Quire or Xorn, who are the other breakout stars of Morrison's run. Nobody past that has come close, really. I know everybody here loves Rockslide but I can't even think of the last time he appeared.

EDIT: Forgot Hope, but then so did everybody else.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm a lot more ambivalent on Hickman than... basically everybody it seems, so the whole huge revamp thing is making me a little nervous still. Hickman's great with bold new concepts and all that jazz, but I've never really liked the way he writes a lot of characters, and that's the main draw of X-Men for me. I'm sure it'll be good, it'll probably easily be the best mainline post-Secret Wars book, and it'll definitely be better than the dreck Uncanny is now, but... I can't bring myself to get too excited for this.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

Hey who wants to see Chamber murder a bunch of people and then just die!

anyone? !

I get that they're running away from the "Cyclops as revolutionary" angle at full speed, and I'm willing to accept that despite it making zero sense, but I can't believe that Chamber is gonna straight-up waste a member of the Marauders, or that any version of Scott past like the Silver Age would care that Chamber is gonna waste a member of the Marauders.

Then Sinister shows up on like page 12, turns into a giant Super-Sinister, then fucks off on like page 15. Is the series operating on dream logic at this point? Remember when Joseph was around for like 3 pages a couple of issues ago? What the gently caress is going on?

And it's a small thing on the scale of wretchedness that is this run, but the portraits for Scott and Logan on the recap page make me gag every time. What is with that pubey-rear end beard on Cyclops, and when in his entire life has Wolverine made that expression? It looks like a bad photoreference if for some reason you used a photoreference of somebody who didn't look anything like Wolverine.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, literally the first tussle the X-Men have with the Marauders involves Colossus killing one of them. I mean, if anyone merits it, it's those guys, they're cackling unsympathetic spree killers.

Ah, that's what I was thinking of when I said Cyclops wouldn't care about Chamber offing the Marauders, but I guess he would have already been on X-Factor at that point. Still, I stand by it that Cyclops isn't totally averse to killing.

Wanderer posted:

Cyclops was always the Boy Scout who refused to kill, but he softened on that, most notably at the start of Morrison's run. Storm was reasonably anti-murder as well, at least for a while.

I definitely remember Storm either explicitly or implicitly sanctioning Colossus during Mutant Massacre.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

I'm just going to through this out here, Giant Size X-Men isn't a good comic. It lead to one of the best runs on comics ever, but that actual issue isn't very good.

It has a hell of a status quo shift to introduce and the way it does is pretty clever. It does a decent job of showcasing all the new characters, and Krakoa is a really neat concept, even if the moment itself is hilariously blase--like, it's not even a page turn IIRC.

Now, having said that, it's not a comic I would go back to a lot, but I think you have to balance that against just how much legwork is being done in a single (giant-sized) issue.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay so I thought Wolfsbane was dead?

And Mirage and Karma were all virused up?

But none of this was the case in the WOTR crossover?

I'm not reading WOTR, but Dark Beast transferred the T-O virus from Mirage and Karma to a Madrox clone early on, and Wolfsbane only died an issue or two ago. So presumably it takes place in between those issues?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

moleman posted:

Zombie Banshee?

Why is he a zombie anyway? Last I remember him popping up was in Uncanny Avengers, where he was back from the dead but evil, but not in a zombie way.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's really not even a factor for Xavier, he can have the war he was in moved up every so often like the Punisher does. We're going to be in Afghanistan forever anyway.

Magneto? Magnets, uh, slow the aging process or whatever.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Archyduchess posted:

Austen's run was incredibly lovely and written as if he'd never had a conversation with a human being, and like he'd heard about sex from a water-logged card from a sexy playing card deck, just like Gambit.

But Rosenberg's run-- and in all fairness, this began before it was solo-written by him-- is worse I think because it's a fundamentally reactionary vision of the X-Men. I'm one of those people who is more beguiled perhaps than they should be by the lofty rhetoric of what the X-Men are "about"-- if I find Stan Lee's invocation of direct Civil Rights era parallels a little glib, I've always been hugely into Claremont's version of a marginalized community finding joy and pleasure and conviction in itself, Morrison's story of a global culture finding its feet, and even the throughline of the Gillen and Bendis eras of people rejecting old paradigms made for a remote dominant group and making their own set of rules. I like it as a franchise that, more than the Avengers or the JLA or whatever, has actually felt like a natural starting point for stories about people who initially think of themselves as freaks or monsters, I like that Claremont's insistence on a strongly multi-racial and international, women-forwarding, and (nascently) queer cast has become just baked into the premise.

I think I'd be dumb as poo poo to call a 50+ year franchise helmed by a corporation like Marvel "radical" but the myth of it meant a lot to me growing up, and I think it meant a lot to writers like Morrison and Gillen and Fraction too. It's about picking what myths you want and which to leave behind, which narratives or ideological points to adopt into your weird superhero story, and I just think, more often than not, X-Men writers pick the right ones, and pick ones that they're passionate about. Even Austen in his incoherent, tacky way seemed to have ideas about... I don't know... sex positivity? The power of religious fundamentalism? That were a point of intent even if the execution was hopelessly garbled.

The current run though, I don't know, it's just a bunch of scared, mostly white people, circling their wagons and running around murdering people. It first jumped from banal to kind of distasteful to me in the run-up to Age of X-Man when X-Man and his horsemen are going all over the world implementing radical changes of various sorts and the X-Men fly off to stop them. Except these "changes" constitute stuff that I feel like the X-Men should be sympathetic to or even doing themselves in the first place. The "bad guys" are shutting down offshore oil rigs and taking the guns away from riot cops. We were supposed to, as readers, be rooting against them? It felt surreal that the entire premise of the bad guy's scheme was making the world better, and we got pretty scant evidence that he wasn't actually doing so, putting the X-Men in the uneasy position of defenders of the status quo.

This all got even worse after Rosenberg took over as solo writer, killing off female characters left and right, penning the infamously exploitative "trans panic" scene of Rahne's death, and now this vaccination plot twist, which indeed feels like it's playing in dangerous waters and with dangerous imagery. It's also just lovely to read-- characters pop in and out of scenes via Magik without any connective tissue, most dialogue is just combative grunts between people who seem to hate each other, and aside from Logan, Scott, and I guess Dark Beast, everyone mostly just hangs around in the background. It really is the whitest, straightest, most banally testerone-addled run I've ever read outside of like, Tieri-era Wolverine. None of the deaths feel like they have any gravity whatsoever-- it feels like a late-era Ultimate title. I think at the very least it's neck and neck with Austen at the bottom.

With the full admission that the flashback issue of The Draco was the very first comic I bought with my own money, yeah this is why I have to give the nod to current Uncanny being the worst of all time. Austen's run was bad X-Men comics, but you can immediately tell it's supposed to be an X-Men comic. Rosenberg doesn't feel like X-Men at all. As much as the X-Men have spent their time in desperate situations, it's never felt so much like a "hard men make hard choices" sort of book. And reading it is so. loving. Tiring.

God help me, I can get some enjoyment out of Austen's stuff. It's got a decently written Juggernaut, it's chock-full of bizarre story choices, and it is relentlessly horny. It's a book that, while terrible, you can understand somebody writing. I can't understand why anybody would write a book like the current one.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It only just came out in my country, and there's not a thread in CD anyway, so: what did everybody think of Dark Phoenix? I was pleasantly surprised by it, though admittedly my expectations were low. The script was about as bad, if not worse, than I was expecting, but everything else was really solid, so it kind of evened out. Everybody was making the best of what they were given; Cyclops and Storm, in particular, wring a whole lot out of their minimal screen time. Sophie Turner is wonderful. The fight scenes were on point and shockingly visceral. The main bad guys shrug off small arms fire but get chunks taken out of them by machine guns, and it's really gruesome, especially for PG-13. Magneto guts lots of people with sharp metal shards, and Nightcrawler (!) goes on a mini killing spree, stabbing some dudes, snapping the neck of another, and dealing with the last by teleporting him into an oncoming train. It's totally out of place, but the story was terrible anyway so it was nice to enjoy something about the movie.

All the characters decide that Jean must be dealt with, either lethally or non-, after she kills a maximum of three people. In the lethal camp is Magneto, who in the last movie destroyed the entire city of Cairo and in the movie before that spent the entire film trying to kill Mystique and presumably has not spoken to her since. The role of Jean's corrupter is replaced by the D'Bari, which is an inspired move and one the movie does absolutely nothing with. They are nothing characters.

At the beginning of the movie the X-Men are presented as popular heroes, only to have orders for their internment to be issued after Jean goes Dark Phoenix. There's a kernel of an interesting idea here, but it's not followed up on, and it seems incredibly off-base for mutants to be super popular ten years after Magneto destroyed Auschwitz and the entire city of Cairo, but for all that to be undone after Jean kills Mystique--and maybe only Mystique, those cops could pull through--and commits some property damage. Also, in the film series Magneto is still presumed to have killed JFK and was seconds away from shooting Richard Nixon live on television. The difference in magnitude in these movies is staggering.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Somehow what I hate most about that whole loving run is that Doctor Nemesis was in it. At least everybody else had been in lovely stories before, but he had been pure up until now, uncorrupted. He even had the good sense to wear a face mask so Greg Land couldn't give him that awful smile.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
https://twitter.com/graemem/status/1153456523844055041?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
For all the talk of this striking out in a bold new direction, it's... not? Practically all the elements are stuff we've seen before, and recently at that: a stand-offish mutant nation that automatically grants citizenship to any mutant, mutants living on Krakoa, Sentinels again apparently, mutants looking like they're going to be the dominant species...

It's fine, so far. It's ostentatious about wanting to be something, and it's nice to see X-Men not on the verge of extinction at the moment. The one real interesting idea are Krakoa cuttings popping up all over the world; if mutants become the dominant species are they going to terraform the earth with Krakoa (though even that's kind of an Inhumans retread)?

It's only the first issue, so there's plenty of time, but I'd like to see if everybody is on board with this whole plan. How did Nightcrawler get convinced to come aboard? What does Glob Herman think about this whole mutant extraterritoriality they're trying to enforce? Hell, is Jean alright with this, and why?