Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder if those are intentionally the Morrison era jackets.

I like how they look like Cyclops.
Cycops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tato posted:

It had a series of minis before the ongoing started. I don't remember it being bad either. It started out with some interesting things, including "The Director" who was obsessed with taking down Weapon X because Wolverine maimed his face during the initial Weapon X breakout. I never read the actual ending of the series so I'm not sure how much gets resolved in the end. I can say without a doubt it was the only comic I ever read that featured Kane and made him interesting.

I honestly think that how it ended was not in the main series but a limited series set in the future. (This is all from memory so large chunks of it may be wrong.)
They did a Days of the Future Past type thing where the Weapon X program got so big and sentinel focused that they took over the world and put everyone in concentration camps. And it was being run by John Sublime, I think.

In the end they try to send Wolverine's mind back in time to stop it, but he get's killed. So they have to send the Director back in time to do it. But they screw up and send him back in time to when he's a guard in the original Weapon X breakout. And he get's to relive his face mauling.

Edit: It was called Weapon X: Days of a Future Now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Also for those unaware, the Hellfire Club is a real thing.
They have their origins as a gentlemen club in Victorian times and were more about men having sex with brazzers rather than world domination.

They have a club in the Wicklow mountains. I have never been there but I believe it's less building robot genocide machines and more a place to drink.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sinteres posted:

It's more that his hanging around is proof that they don't. Not only is she just filling in until they feel like bringing Logan back, but they also felt like they had to bring in an alternate Logan and another Kid Wolverine.

Marvel missed a trick when they didn't have Albert show up after the Death of Wolverine. He could have been the Cyborg for the Death of Superman parallels.
Either him or the Wolverine created by nano machines from that Wolverine: The Best There Is mini series.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I'm still amazed that it was only a few years ago that I recognized the pun with Elsie Dee

I only realised it now.:(

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It was a 2-issue splash page story by Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert.

It's also no fooling one of the best Wolverine stories of all time. Managing to be funny and poignant.
It's called "A Mile in My Moccasins" and was in Wolverine 73 and 74 from 2013.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 24, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

X-O posted:

The only thing theoretical about EMPEROR VULCAN! is that theoretically someday I guess he could be in a good comic. But it's so unlikely that it's not really worth trying.

I liked Emperor Vulcan as a rat bastard villain who was like a character from Warhammer 40K who just stepped into the Marvel Universe. Then again I thought War of Kings was great which is a controversial opinion around these parts.

The main part I missed from it was where Black Bolt and Vulcan got blown up by the mega Terrigensis bomb in the hole in the universe and how Black Bolt just came back later on because Jonathan Hickman needed him back.

I would have loved it if they did the Transformers story with Ratchet and Megatron* only with BB and Vulcan instead.

* = Basically Ratchet sacrificed himself by blowing up a ship that he and Megatron was on. Years later they come back as this merged monster.
The Autobots are begging Optimus to put this monster out of its misery, which he refuses to do. He later finds out that they are capable of splitting Ratchet from Megatron, but only if they save them both as they were now molecularly linked. Cool stuff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I am willing to bet that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver go back to being Magnetos kids again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Android Blues posted:

It doesn't happen in Claremont's run on Uncanny, I know that much. He's off the comic a dozen issues or so after X-tinction Agenda, and it passes over to John Byrne and then (of all people) Scott Lobdell, who has like a 70 issue run.

I have no idea who originated Gambit and Rogue's romantic tension, but it could have been Lobdell. No clue, though.

The earliest I can remember is in the Claremont/ Jim Lee X-men. Gambit star5s flirting with Rogue by the pool in issue 4. One of the first comics I bought.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It was a knife fight in the comics.

Which belongs in the badass thread.

How Kurt? How is that a bluff?
Did Storm not really catch the knife? Is the one she holding a duplicate knife she produced or some hologram?

I probably shouldn't go hard on Kurt since English isn't his first language, but come on.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

It's not even that big of a deal. Something like 8% of kids do it.

Was one of them a real big veiny, triumphant bastard?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

At least tell me that Gambit is Piotor's best man and Rogue is Kitty's woman of honour.

Because then their decision to get married is in keeping with tradition and makes sense.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Covok posted:

How so?

Supposedly in ye olden times one of the duties of the Best Man (apart from fighting off suitors and warding away spirits) was that if the bride and groom didn't marry, the Best Man and Maid of Honour were to get married.

Presumably under the context of "well we have all this wedding stuff here. Someone had best get married."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's a really weird tradition.
It would be the most awkward way to introduce your best buddy to your girlfriends friend.

At least the maid of honor wouldn't have to replace the bride with the same groom.
Especially, since that might be Illiana.

You think that's weird? (I mean it is, but listen to this )
The Best Man was so named because he would be the best swordsman in the village. And his job would be to help fight and kidnap the Bride. And he would have to help fight off the Brides family.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

This thread represents the focused totality of my Furminisim powers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Donde Esta posted:

I'm strictly a Marvel Unlimited guy, so I'm always six months behind, but between Hickman X-Men and X-Statix returning I might be heading to a brick and mortar soon.

Hickman: "Yeah, my amazing F4, Avengers, and event title runs were simply jobs."

Hickman: Forgive me master, for I have to go all out....Just this once!

(Que Hickman going Super Saijan Comic Writer.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, I completely agree. This Rosenberg guy is a complete hack, throwing edgy poo poo at the wall on a constant spree trying to find something that sticks. On the other hand, every Age of X-Man book I've read, I've liked it. The X-Tracts one may be the worst of the bunch and somehow it still comes on top of the mess UXM currently is. I hope those writers stick around.

And god, do I hope Hickman doesn't gently caress up. I don't think I've seen any writer not gently caress up when handling X-Men for god knows how many years.

After the current X-Men run I don't think Hickman can fail.
Like his run could just be Scott and Logan throw a Kegger in the X-Mansion. For 12 issues.
And all your favourite X-People show up. Even the dead ones who are now alive again.

That's it, and it would sell thousands.
Call it " X-Men: Weekend at Charlies" and it would sell 90's numbers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

(Spoilers from one year in the future.)

Comic Interview Guy: Jonathan Hickman, in your first year on the X-Men you managed to solve all the major continuity problems in the X-Franchise and made them the number one selling title again.
What is next for the mutants.

(Jonathan Hickman laughs and then flexes, turning his body metallic ala Colossus.)
Super-Hickman: HA HA HA! NOW SHOW ME A REAL CHALLENGE!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Man if the rumor that was floating around along with the titles of the books before the announcement was even a little true the reaction is going to be interesting

For references sake said rumor was it's revealed all mutants are immortal

Hickman walks over to a whiteboard and draws a line through the words "explain how Magneto and Charles can be alive during World War 2 but still be around today."

Hickman: (with an evil glint in his eyes.) All according to plan*.

*= Note plan means keikaku.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Android Blues posted:

To be fair, Magneto's been de-aged to a baby at least once, and Charles had his consciousness transferred into a healthy clone body by the Shi'ar and, more recently, just started piloting Fantomex's body around.

All the other mutants are a bit more dubious. The latest issue of Marvel Comics Presents has multiple X-Men stories that specifically take place in the 80s using the 80s X-Men cast, and place Destiny's death firmly in 1990, which would make Nightcrawler in his 50s or thereabouts. No idea if that's meant to be non-canon or if it's just dipping a toe in the water for Hickman flouting the sliding timescale.

Yes this is true. But here would be why Hickmans twist about immortality is important.

"Mutants are immortal. That is a reason humans hate them and how Magneto has been around since World War 2."

Now you have a dead easy way to introduce mutants and some complicated backstories into the Cinematic Universe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm okay with Schisim as it was intended to change the status quo.
The X-Men had been in survival mode for the last few years. Having two camps emerge over the issue of "do we focus on staying safe or do we try and plan and hope for a better world."

And I did really like how the Cyclops versus Wolverine fight was what Anakin versus Obi Wan from the prequels tried to be.
Two friends who have every single issue and aspect of their history come out in one fight

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The first story arc for Whedon's Astonishing?

The difference there is (and I can't believe I'm having to offer a defence to what is probably going to be a terrible story.)

The Cure (from Whedon/X3) was just that. A cure.
Something that if you were a mutant you would volunteer to take so as to remove your power.
It maybe offers a parallel with closeted gay people going to conversion therapies/ camps to "pray the gay away". but it can be shown as something that there is a choice in.

This sounds more like a vaccine where its given to children before they develop mutant powers to take them away.

The big difference is, a mutant cure has the obvious story elements of conflict.
On the one hand (if mutants are viewed as a stand in for minorities) what do we have to cure. There's nothing wrong with us.
On the flip side if you had a mutant with some awful power (like Cloudkill Boy)the idea of a cure is very enticing.

The mutant vaccine story doesn't have as obvious a conflict (the conflict doesn't come from the person who takes the vaccine, it's from their parents in whether to administer it.)
It's a lesser conflict since the child doesn't have mutant powers and isn't really a character more a plot element.

And that's before we get to the real fact that people choosing to not vaccinate children for spurious reasons is costing lives. Having a story where there is a really good reason not to vaccinate your mutant kid just supports them.
This sounds like a bad idea and it is smelly.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I'm in the minority for sure, but at this point I would genuinely prefer to have Austen back if the choice was between him and Rosenberg.

Say what you will about Austen...namely, that he's a poor writer with one bewilderingly-bad idea after another, but at no point in his run did I ever get the impression that he didn't like these characters or that he wasn't, in fact, having the time of his life writing them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rosenberg writes the X-Men like he can't loving stand the X-Men.

I don't know about that. Austen's end run when he was on the way out, really seemed bitter. (Killing Sammy the Squid Boy amoung other things.) Like he seemed salty about how he was being made leave.

All that being said, I would argue that a bad but infamous comic story (like Austen's) is "better" than a bad and forgetable story (like Rosenberg's sounds like.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

Oh absolutely. I like Claremont's groundwork for Juggernaut, that he's essentially just too stupid to be good on his own-- he was given the power to barge through and break stuff, and can only really think to apply that in the most straightforward way possible unless otherwise directed by someone smarter or more willful. That Dazzler issue is great, as are all the issues from around that era (like that famous Spider-Man fight iirc) where he's just walking around trying to live his life as a regular dumb guy but huge and invincible. Nicieza touches on this in his X-Force as well, this idea that Juggernaut is not going to pick a fight he doesn't have to, because it's a waste of time.

I’ve always wanted to do a Juggernaught story where he is just sitting around at home and decides he needs money.

So he picks up a phone, makes a few phone calls and gets through to the department of Finance.

And he says that he wants one million dollars transferred to his bank account, or he will walk down to Wallstreet and pick a fight with some super heroes.

And you have the minor government guys saying it’s outrageous and that they will call the Avengers, but have the head bean counter say that they are paying the money.
Because there is no way that any superhero who fights him will end the fight before causing that much money in damages. And that if the fight goes ahead, it will impact the US economy far more than what he’s charging.

He’s basically a walking natural disaster. But one that you can pay to go away.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Note: Emma Frost does not actually represent the North.

Note: Emma Frost does not have Ice powers....except when she is in a coma and takes over Bobby Drake’s body.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That's Exodus. He was a Big Deal for a hot minute in the 90's, who exemplified the 'glow-y eyes/power blast' generic powerful mutant. Lead the Acolytes for a while when Magneto was out of commission. I think his deal is he's actually super old (from the Crusades, maybe).

And originally his mutant power was supposed to be "can give himself whatever mutant power he wants."
But it quickly got rolled back to "generic psychic/laser eyes" powers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I think the surprising thing is that Logan has any LIVING children still out there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Starsnostars posted:

Two Captain Britains are needed for a country torn apart by Brexit.

Betsy can be the Captain Britain who is desperately trying to take the country back to the London Olympics of 2012 when everything in the country was fine* and will try and use her mental powers to make people re-do their decisions, confident they will work out well the second time.

Meanwhile Brian will be the Captain Britain who is promising impossible, contradictory things. He never thinks things through and will often make more and more racist comments. His decisions will cause Outworld to fall apart, but since he’s the son of a rich lord, he will be completely protected from the fall out of everything.

*= Spoiler. The country wasn’t fine back then. But it was for some people.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

It was a controversial comic and effectively a joke answer, partially because its creators (Tom King and Mitch Gerads) had a panel the day before Hickman's that spent a lot of time lamenting how much everyone hated that issue and how gently caress you, actually it was very good.

Though I guess it was a time travel story that didn't really make any sense at its core, so I guess it might have been on-topic.

I thought that part of the joke was how Heroes in Crisis was originally scheduled as a seven issue series. (They added an extra issue in the end.)
So it was like saying “The answer to this story beat will be in a comic that doesn’t come out.”

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I hope the covers just get increasingly dysfunctional.

Get Emma, Psylocke, Stryfe, Madeline, X-23...

Edit: Also Logan is so out of place in that team that his art doesn't even match.

It's missing Hope.

Also I just am not down with Teen Cable. I haven't read enough with him but I sort of want my old and busted Cable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hickman used him perfectly in Secret Wars. I'm hoping he gets to writer him some more.

Hickman tweeted about how everyone forgets that Mr. Sinister isn't a mutant.
Which means it could be a big plot point in his run.
(Like how Krakoa will let mutants onto the island but non-mutants basically need a pass.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Cabbit posted:

I think they were retconned out of being Magneto's kids, but they're still mutants?

Edit: Nope, googled it and apparently they're humans who the High Evolutionary futzed with.

The worst part is even by the end of the storyline where the Twins thought that the High Evolutionary was involved in their creation, Vision said that wasn't their real origin. And that their true origin was too shocking to reveal.

And then they never went back to their story.

So it's so vague, I predict they will just roll it back to "Magneto is their Dad. Because it is simple."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So in relation to the chart at the end, isn’t that a bit of a retcon?

Like it says Technarcs are lead by a Magus and think they are the only big deals and don’t know about the Phalanax. Who are their creators.

But wasn’t it originally the other way around? That the Technarcs created the Phalanax as their smaller, dumber kids. Like it was a plot point in Annihilation Conquest.
Is this a Geoff Johns level of retcon? (“She wasn’t jailbait! She was super old by our standards!”)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aren’t we making a critical assumption here?

That Power of X Timeline 1,2,3 and 4 all occur after each other.
That Timeline 3 happens 100 years after Timeline 2 and so forth.

What if...the timelines are not connected. That maybe Timeline 1 is from Moria life 10 (or her possible 11th life) and Timeline 2 is from her 6th life.
In which case all we know could be up in the air.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rick posted:

From what I understand the Technarcs, due to their ignorance think that they are create Phalanax but they are in fact just propagating them.

It does say Technarchs are unaware that they serve the Phalanax. So it could mean what you are saying.

I still think that it’s a retcon from the days of Anhilation: Conquest, where Nova defeated the Ultron Phalanax by getting Warlock and another Technarch to show up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Android Blues posted:

I feel like if Proteus is on side, you always bring Proteus. I do wonder what the deal with him being Krakoa-aligned is if he's not in use for missions like this one.

Proteus, the mutant whose weakness is Metal. And you want to take him onto a metal space station and possibly fight a bunch of mutant hating robots made out of metal?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

Their primary goal right now is to protect omega level mutants. That being said, good luck to any of those clowns trying to take out Mags.

I'm now picturing a "How it Should Have Ended" version of the story.

Humans: The mutants are on their way. We must be prepared to do whatever is needed to repel them!

(Shuttles flies up to the station. Then stops. We see some glowing purple energy.
The clamps all release and the Strong Sad looking head is jettisoned into the Sun.)

Mother Mold: I'm sad that I'm falling into the Sun.

Scientist: No! That thing was so expensive!
At least all our Sentinals will destroy their shuttle.

(Que an iron asteroid veer off course and fly into the Sentinels causing a traffic pile up.)

Scientist: Nuts!

(Shuttle flies home.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

I remember when Ghost Rider got infected with a brood and everyone poo poo their pants, and then I think Betsy just hit him with her psychic knife and it severed the link between the brood and Danny Ketch and it was just a big nothingburger.

I need to sit down and read the whole Wolverine and the X-men series cause that brood kid was adorable.

I remember that. Mostly because Ghost Rider tore out the Brood Queens skeleton.
And then she got up from that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The fact that the Sinister Secrets are written in the exact same style as gossip column were written is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So something that occurred to me when reading the most recent Powers of X.

Magneto and Professor X show up to Bar Sinister to speak with him.
And that's supposed to be happening in the time line when Moria has told Charles and Magneto what is going to happen and to try and break the cycle of mutants getting killed by Genocide-bots.

And years wise it is supposed to be in year 0 or year 1 of the X-Men. Basically when the X-Men were getting started.

But Charles rolls up in a Hover wheel chair. I think Sinister even comments about it.
Wasnt that Wheelchair a gift from the Shi'ar Empresses to her human boyfriend?
How could Xavier have that bit of technology if he hasn't yet formed his X-Men or gone into space yet?