Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So, thoughts on the last page of Astonishing X-Men #1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rachel and Kurt bothers me with how incredibly out of nowhere it is. I know these our superhero stories focused on action and aimed primarily at teenage boys, but I really wish we could get some romances that are actually developed decently, and not just: "Oh, I guess this is a thing now"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually think I like Iceman the most out of the new X-Men books. Cable's also pretty good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Except for the time when The Thing became Blackbeard and created a time paradox.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Generation X is better the less Quentin Quire shows up

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

No, that's going to be Loki

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Thor one actually owned

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I dropped Generation X because I don't like Quentin Quire.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's actually a great take.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Tom Taylor, but that costume is not a good first look.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Actually, Wolverine's true love is with Nightcrawler.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Red is probably where Logan Classic is going

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I dropped Generation X after a while. It felt directionless, and I don't like Quentin Quire.

Of this year's new X-books:

X-Men: Gold I dropped. Rachel/Nightcrawler weirded me out a bit, and I've already forgotten the plots to every arc past the first.
X-Men: Blue I'm still checking out. It's not amazing, but I enjoy the weird directions they're taking the characters in.
Jean Grey and Weapon X I read an issue of each, but that was probably a mistake.
I'd like Astonishing more if the art was consistent.
The first arc of Cable was fun, and what I always wanted from Cable. And then Ed Brisson took over and it started being garbage.
Iceman has been the big surprise for me of the relaunch for X-Men. The characterization is genuinely great, and how it handles the troubles of a gay man's relationship to his homophobic parents is actually well done.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, Ed Brisson's Iron First is also not that great. So I'm pretty sure Ed Brisson's just not a good writer.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It'd not Claremont quite yet, but I still adore Giant-Size X-Men #1. One of the first "retro" comics I ever read.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think she's supposed to be hispanic in X-Men Evolution where she debuted.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I had forgotten grown up Molly Hayes was a villain.

I don't accept this as reality so it's not canon anymore.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I looked into it and yes, she has never shown any real interest in guys. I meaning, during New Mutants she had celeb crushes, but you can chalk that up to her being 15.

Most of the time its this

Magik hates Quentin Quire.

Truly a very relatable character.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Is it just me or is the whole approach of "let's shuffle the 100+ characters from the X-universe around willy nilly onto like five books with different colors and adjectives on the title once and a while and call it reinvigorating the franchise" approach to these series not really working anymore?

I'm getting rather tired of team books not being able to maintain a consistent roster for more than 5 issues.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't think of a more unappealing premise than "Mutants ate going extinct, this time by Ed Brisson"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's just a poor decision on her part.
Then again, that whole hammer of the Nordic gods business sorta contradicts Wonder Woman's origin story.

Did one of these Marvel vs DC stories ever involve a meeting between her and Hercules?

Honestly, all those deities are a bit weird. Hercules acknowledges that Odinson is the god of thunder. But that's clearly his dad.

Wonder Woman and Hercules met in JLA/Avengers

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

davebo posted:

Well if they don't want the older fans then there's really no point catering to us like they have been recently. I'm just saying if they're gonna keep it up then they'll end up with some of us anyway. Sort of like how Honda came out with the Element and thought it'd be a big hit with young hip kids then it was bought overwhelmingly by seniors.

And yeah I know Wolvie is back, I was running through a list of things they've done/are doing that I like.

They want people that will buy single issues every week, not a guy that only buys it on sale months after its out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-Men Disassembled I guess: https://www.newsarama.com/41318-uncanny-x-men-1-will-be-disassembled-this-november.html?utm_source=notification

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1028866713863913472

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

All fiction could do to drop them. It's not a triangle you dolts, in the real world it's just cheating.

Here's a solution: Make them poly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Archyduchess posted:

I'm more concerned about the narrative beat of teen Bobby nobly stuffing himself back into the closet for the good of reality, which is an extraordinarily bad look for a book coming out in the waning days of 2018.

I guess we know what's being exterminated now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like them a lot, burmt I can't think of a more fitting reaction to the concept than Dick Rider going "I hate everything about that sentence"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Marvel was so spiteful of of Fox owning their characters that they published a billion Deadpool comics a month as the ultimate power play.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm enjoying having Cyclops back. Uncanny is just ok other than that though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Really happy that fun and nice series like X-23 and Mr. and Mrs. X get cancelled while Matthew Rosenberg kills my favorite New Mutant and continues on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How Rahne is killed reads as very bad metaphor for hate crimes committed against trans women.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Women in Rosenberg's X-Men exist purely so Scott and Ligan can man pain.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's even dumber than when Geoff Johns made it so that Beast Boy can do cellular reproduction and divide into multiple copies of the same animal.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well yeah, Matthew Rosenberg still has to kill them off soon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rosenberg's long term plan was to just kill everybody but Cyclops and Wolverine to get maximum man pain.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What did the New Mutants do to Rosenberg lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hickman's just saying to not just leave plot threads unresolved with a ton of major characters killed off for no reason for the next writer to deal with.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

No thanks on Percy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They wrote Teen Titans: Rebirth and Green Arrow: Rebirth.

I thought Green Arrow was ok, but I thought Teen Titans was just plain awful.

https://twitter.com/AiPTcomics/status/1152691808633155584

Also, they have Domino on X-Force :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/AiPTcomics/status/1152693074046459906

Edit - Haha, gently caress you Rosenberg

https://twitter.com/AiPTcomics/status/1152693584841175040