Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Certainly not wrong about the number of characters thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hopeless' Cable and X-Force was quite good. I never thought I'd like Domino so much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

According to Hopeless' interview with Jay & Miles, neither did he. :v: He said she was essentially foisted upon him by editorial against his wishes because they wanted more than just Cable on the team for continuity with the X-Force name. Now he's written a Secret Wars tie-in focused around her and Colossus plus a story in her Annual from last year.

Sometimes editorial mandate is good!

Very cool. He certainly didn't write her like editorial mandate, even in the beginning. And Inferno was pretty baller.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I seem to recall Dan Slott fell back on that logic a fair bit, too. I wonder if Rosenberg's going to do the same thing.

A lot of Rosenberg I've seen was 'man everybody liked X-Men Red what am I doing wrong?' and then being unwilling to take criticism (which is admittedly probably buried under a lot of typical internet comics hate).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

Also I just am not down with Teen Cable. I haven't read enough with him but I sort of want my old and busted Cable.

That's one thing I really enjoyed about the aforementioned Cable and X-Force. Cable there really was this tired old soldier who was moving at about half-speed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The short of it is that this is actually Fantomex’s body and because of comic book things he swapped with Xavier so now Fantomex is dead and Xavier is rolling around being extra dickish.

What happened to Lady Fantomex?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

Basically every X-Men villain has already had a run being a good guy already

Even Mister Sinister?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

Almost: Longshot is a clone of his son Shatterstar.

Is Dazzler still Shatterstar's mom?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

I want to say he was a gold medalist but had it revoked after he was outed as a mutant.

That sounds like a plot I dimly remember in Alpha Flight, yeah, but I can't find a source.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parallax posted:

think i mentioned this before, but reading through claremont's run there's a bit after jean's death where scott mentions difficulty communicating with a woman he likes because jean could always just read his mind and know what he actually meant. so nah, i think scott cheating on a telepath with another telepath who's more willing to delve deeper inside him is consistent with his established character

He also had that weird sorta crush on Psylocke for a while, but I don't believe it ever went anywhere.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And Byrne was upset that Magneto was no longer a classic supervillain just because he survived the Holocaust.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

gently caress man, the brood saga is so drat weird. Glad I'm through it finally but what a trip.

And it gets referenced for ages after.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CubanMissile posted:

I remember when Ghost Rider got infected with a brood and everyone poo poo their pants, and then I think Betsy just hit him with her psychic knife and it severed the link between the brood and Danny Ketch and it was just a big nothingburger.

I need to sit down and read the whole Wolverine and the X-men series cause that brood kid was adorable.

That was a weird time for Ghost Rider, too. Blackout had just torn out Danny's throat so he was stuck as Ghost Rider or else he'd, you know, die.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

As someone pointed out, he wasn't THAT serious during the Claremont stuff. I think his actions were but the character was always over-the-top. And that trends with what was supposed to be his origin: that he was a 12 year old mutant posing as what he thought a bad guy should look and act like.

But yeah, my intro to Catty Sinister was Secret Wars and I fell in love immediately.

How long was he written as though he was the bogeyman for all intents and purposes? I feel like at least up through Inferno.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When did Kitty mostly stop being called 'Shadowcat?'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stanfield posted:

I was just reading about the Black Vortex storyline, does Kitty still have God-powers?

As far as I know very little stayed out of Black Vortex. The longest was Young Warren's fire wings, but he's gone now, so.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I don't recall Grayson Creed being a mutant but there's a lot about Grayson Creed I don't recall.

He wasn't. Creed was in the Upstarts, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

See, 'She Lies With Angels' is CLEVER, get it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fritzler posted:

This is from memory but Exodus is a French dude from crusade era. He was friends with Black Knight of that era. He was trapped in stasis. Magneto freed him and he became Magneto’s number two guy. That made his previous number two, Fabian Cortez mad. He led the acolytes when Xavier mind wiped Magneto. He is pretty powerful and fought off the Avengers and X-men of the time together singlehandedly, till he was beat (maybe on the Astral plane?) by Xavier. I think somehow current Black Knight helped Xavier.

Edit: also he was listed as an omega level in telekinesis in HOX 1. But like said above in the 90s very vague power set. Could basically do anything.

Exodus was peak 'super powerful 90's mutant' which meant your eyes glowed, you had power blasts and could mostly do whatever you wanted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

I have to wonder about Franklin. Is it actually confirmed that he has the X-gene? I suppose it'd be weird if Reed hasn't had it genetically-confirmed.

But by all rights he could have, and probably did, receive his powers from his parents having powers, right? Like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage passed on their powers to their daughter Danielle, or Jessica Drew passing on her powers to her son Gerry. And Reed and Susan are probably the modern day equivalent of post-humanity. Does that mean that post-humans having children with each other automatically makes mutants? Or is Franklin just a special case where his parents had powers but he was just born as a mutant completely irrespective of their powers, while Danielle Cage and Gerry might be considered examples of post-humanity because they're not actually mutants?

But that raises more questions about how these post-humans actually maintain their genetic superiority. Let's say Captain America and Janet Van Dyne have a child, 'cuz gently caress you Hank. Will that child be "limited" to "only" having supersoldier powers or size-changing, or possibly having both at once? Is it then impossible for him to have laser eyes or weather control powers? I feel like that still leaves post-humans on the same genetic lottery playing field as mutants. The only way to supersede this is if post-humans find a way to A)swap out or change or adjust their own inborn, extant superpowers or B)do away with traditional breeding and just make all your babies in test tubes. And both methods kinda have weird eugenicist implications.

Franklin has always been a mutant, as far as I know. And it was thanks to the cosmic rays, which I believe also made the birth hard for Sue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also.... no, Franklin's just about always been considered a mutant, dude. The fact that he wasn't wearing an X or anything never changed his mutanthood (the way Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were explicitly made nonmutant). Like, this was a thing in the '80s when the Mutant Registration Act was a big thing in the comics:

That's Franklin there on the right, in the 'Tattletale' costume he was wearing while hanging around as the unofficial fifth member of the Power Pack. His being a mutant was a pretty integral part of the Onslaught storyline. Dude's always been a mutant, man.

I've been trying to find the first time it went from 'Franklin has powers because his parents took a cosmic radiation bath' to 'he's a mutant' and without going through the issues and reading some 70's FF issues, but no luck. He absolutely has been a mutant as far back as I can remember, which does include the mid-80's Power Pack stuff. And that was funny because Reed did everything he could to shut down Franklin's powers and Franklin still could do the astral projecting while sleeping thing (hence the name Tattletale.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

If she's not part of the just announced Wolverine title (I know Logan will be the main character) I will loving riot, or at least not buy the book.

I worry they might decide Fallen Angels is her book so she doesn't need to be in it aside from wandering by now and then.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Oh, I somehow didn't realize she was in that. I was thinking of it as the other Psylocke book. If Laura is prominent enough in another X book I'll rescind my fatwa on Wolverine.

If I remember right, Bryan Edward Hill is writing that which is a little funny as he's also writing DC Laura in Cassandra Cain over in Batman and the Outsiders.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, X-Men #1. Cyclops was so in love with the idea of being a dad he abandoned his son (and wife) to go start X-Factor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parallax posted:

yeah it's kind of weird to throw all the Summers clan together as this one big, happy family. not that they don't deserve to be happy, but historically I think that hasn't been when they're with one another

The rest of the issue I liked well enough and I'm not even really opposed to 'new status quo' but it was jarring to read that from the dude who was kinda reponsible for Inferno because he was a deadbeat dad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

His kids/clones have lives of their own. Like, do you think Daken or Laura want to actually live in the same house as Logan?

Maybe that extra room is for whichever young mutant Logan is mentoring at the moment? Actually, given the history of everyone currently staying there, there should be multiple guest rooms.

Which would be... uh... *rifles through notes* ...Armor, I guess?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Billzasilver posted:

Vulcan has so much energy manipulation that he probably can’t die. He can fly in space. He can vaporize fleets of alien spaceships.

Despite not being from the 90's he is very 90's in being 'energy blasts and glow eyes.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Was that Calisto's secondary mutation?

No, that was to start out as what might be described 'a hard-looking woman' to wind up as conventionally attractive as any standard X-Woman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

No being made conventionally attractive was something done to Callisto, oddly enough, Masque turned her into a supermodel basically to be a honeytrap for Colossus after the Siege Perilous

it was some poo poo

The really odd part is I accepted this without blinking. Although that does explain where the Colossus/Callisto thing comes from.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I like the fight choreography for Kitty vs. the soldiers, although phasing a gun into two of them is one of the more borderline-lethal moves she's ever pulled.

That did raise an eyebrow. The only time I can remember her phasing stuff into people or vice versa was, like, taking on the Hulk.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow, it's been 32 years since the last FF/X-Men miniseries (which holds up decently).

I will now diminish and go into the West.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parallax posted:

that mini is great and I’m even more excited that zdarsky mentioned this will be a kind of sequel to that

That's cool. Byrne's story was good about the ultimate low blow Doom could take on Reed and Bogdanove's pencils are naturally really good so I have a lot of fond memories of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

amigolupus posted:

This is a pretty good post. My favorite version is headmaster Logan from Wolverine and the X-Men. Something about Logan taking his role as mentor to teenage sidekicks to the logical conclusion by taking up Xavier's role as the new guide and protector of young Mutants was really interesting to me. Plus him naming the school after Jean, one of the bravest and kindest person he's ever known, was pretty touching.

It was also nice to see Kitty at the logical conclusion* from The Youngest X-Men to actually be the professor (who may or may not be a jerk).

*Even if 'privateer captain for a mutant nation' is cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Wolverine probably should have been Australian.

I will refer you to Pryde of the X-Men.