Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I really liked Weapon X, so much that as long as Land continues to be incredibly punctual I think I'll overlook his Landness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Wolverine spoilers: Daken? What? When did he come back to life, lose an arm, regrow an arm, and become not evil? I'm so confused.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

The art in X-Men Blue fell off a cliff this week, holy poo poo.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Roth posted:

So, thoughts on the last page of Astonishing X-Men #1?

I'm shocked it took this long. gently caress it, pull the trigger.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Also she's a jackboot thug, apparently.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

If there's one thing I love it's watching a Hank McCoy screw up, and whoo-boy one screwed up big today in Blue.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait, he's doing magic now?

What the hell happened?

Young Hank's less good at science than Old Hank, since science has like a 30 year jump on him due to time travel. Rather than using his big brain to work hard and catch up to the times, he's doing the Hank McCoy thing of taking a shortcut and using his big brain to try and shirk the consequencees.. and failing.

Because he's Hank McCoy, and for the last 30 years his modus operandi has been eloquently failing to understand, accept, and work around his own limits (see also: every time he's tried to gently caress with his mutation) and the limits of those around him.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So it's more like twenty, considering they've been here for five years-- even with the sliding time scale, I think they're supposed to have been here for awhile.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Diet Poison posted:

I wish the O5 could just go back to their own time. And then we continue to follow their story, having seen firsthand what the future is like but with the knowledge that nothing they do will change that future for comic-science reasons leaving them free to become different people and also manage to turn Classic Cackling Maniac Magneto into Modern Attitude Magneto more quickly. And the main X-Books could deal with a world without Cyclops and Jean, and also Beast dies. Adult Bobby gets to live on his own terms, adult Angel gets to continue his tortured existence I guess. I'm never 100% sure what his deal is anymore.
Except Marvel already shot that idea in the balls, and they hate "not important main timeline" series anyway because they don't tend to sell. Ah well. I'm willing to continue on with Blue and see if it gets its poo poo back together after SE.

Sounds like a good What-If, if Marvel ever gets around to putting out any more of those.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm honestly expecting that the O5 eventually get aged up and have their memories merged with their modern equivalents to get a soft reboot for modern Cyke, Jean, and Angel without the baggage. Still issue whether or not Beast and Bobby will be included, but I'd wager a shiny dime each on the other three.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Eh, even when the luster wears off you still have a much more managable Logan than before. Healing factor isn't quite so ridiculous, not quite as much of an unstoppable killing machine you have to write around, frees up the Wolverine mantle for Laura.

I wouldn't mind if he stuck around.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Isn't it entirely encased in adamantium?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Valhalla is an otherworldly plane so in theory reality changes in 616 shouldn't affect it and it should be full of time orphaned Thors and stuff.

Must be one Hel of a drinking contest going on there.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

rantmo posted:

I like Generation X but it suffers from probably the worst art of the X-line right now, which is saying a loving lot.

My opinion of the art on Gen X changes on almost a page to page basis. The artist is very inconsistent, I feel.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Pretty sure none of these deaths in the Mojo event are sticking now that he offed Angel and seemingly young Bobby.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Barry Convex posted:

No further details yet. Not really digging the 90s meets MCU armor costume, though.

The part of me that really enjoyed the 90s really enjoys that costume, so I know that objectively it must be really bad. But goddamn, I do really like it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rhyno posted:

X-Men Red will be Old Jean, Young Jean, Rachael Summers, Hope Summers, Wolfsbane, Siryn and uhhhhhhh, whichever other X-Men have red hair.

It'd be pretty funny if Quire was a natural redhead and his pink hair dye was something he does to avoid the stereotype.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Wow, Gentle is a deep cut.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Covok posted:

I seem to remember there being too other options...

That's actually a really novel form of immorality: barred from heaven, but too holy for Hell.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So. Astonishing X-Men.

What are the odds that Shadow King actually has Xavier's mind chained up in his little astral parlor?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So Disney just bought back the X-Men film rights, among other things. I guess we'll know whether or not all those rumors and conspiracy theories about the X-Men's place in Marvel were bullshit soon enough.

Kind of hoping we get a 'No, MORE mutants!' out of it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

It sure as hell looked like OML git his head blown off with a red murasama bullet though.

I kind of doubt it's going to stick. "We killed [x]!" leading into a next issue revelation of "Oh, actually, [x] is still alive!" is pretty standard comic book drama.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

1) to remove mutants as their own subculture, because when you do that, it stops being an allegory for real-world subcultures;

See, I always felt the opposite was true. When mutants were a culture, rather than just an origin, it made the metaphor stronger for me. Now they don't really seem like an allegory for much of anything, these days.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Charitably, you could say that living in the past-- even if they were your best years, perhaps especially so-- is not really living either, and perhaps that's part of the message too. If you always perceive your best days as behind you, well, you're probably going to fulfill that prophecy.

But maybe you're not feeling charitable. I know I wasn't; that definitely didn't need to take five issues.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 1, 2018

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I'm really liking Red still, yeah. I didn't even bother picking up Gold this week, though; I think I'm done with that book and, honestly, it's kind of soured me on Kitty being in charge. It's just kind of a rolling count of all the story beats I'm not fond of, with "X-Men in Prison!" at the top of the list now.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Autism Sneaks posted:

X-Men: Red canceled for X-Men: Grey, with a team of Jean Grey, teen Jean Grey, Cable, Rachel Grey, Madelyne Pryor, uhh X-Man, and Hope Summers I guess?

Also an alternate universe version of Jean who was bombarded with gamma radiation during a battle against Magneto in New Mexico: the Grey Hulk.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Also, with the exception of maybe Scott and Jean, yes, every X-Man is secretly gay.

Hey.

Some of them are overtly gay.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Skwirl posted:

I can't imagine Laura living with a parental figure at this point in her life.

That one-shot where she went back in time and beat up Creed with Logan in Japan, and then had some family time, was pretty good.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Hellblazer187 posted:

give Laura a new cool name instead of just going backwards.

Unfortunately, Honey Badger is already taken.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

That's a cool cover. The tagline is silly, but that cover is nice.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Metalshark posted:

Oof, token X-woman and Greg Land*: https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/984827070890086400 Can't say that I'm excited for the next era of Astonishing with Rosenberg's mixed track record, unless he brings it and the mystery team member is someone cool.
Don't know if Weapon X is ending, but at least Warpath is getting another appearance and I love Dazzler, but her getting Land'd again is harsh. Colossus is so dull to me and needs a rest, Beast has been better in recent Avengers than he's in the X-Books for ages and Havok has been awful since Axis so a lot of this lineup need something big to get me invested.

*Could be a mercy in light of this.

So much for Professor FantomeX, I guess.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Guido in any x books recently? I know he took over hell but I believe that ended..

He had a brief cameo in a flashback in Rogue & Gambit.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Gynovore posted:

I have nothing against GLBBQ comic characters, but it feels like Young Iceman's only defining feature is being gay.

Did I miss a Gay Agenda meeting where LGBTQ was replaced with something else, or is this just a mildly tasteless joke?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Gee who could have possibly guessed that X was actually the Shadow King?

I was hoping against reason, but yeah. Best case scenario is that X was an unwitting Trojan horse, and that doesn't seem likely.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

A couple of the other major hits are God Loves, Man Kills and Days of Future Past.

I trying to think of any X-Men story I like more than God Loves, Man Kills and I'm having a real hard time of it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rhyno posted:

You know none of the people who bitched about Iceman being gay would say a word because lesbians are hot.

No, poo poo's degenerated to the point that they would complain about it loudly about it while doing to unspeakable to the idea behind closed doors.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Whackin' it is unspeakable?

I mean, I just wanted a little couth.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

To be appropriately spoiler free: Gold was good. I like them as a couple, I hope it sticks for awhile.

Also, I want a one-shot of the Double Beast/Double Iceman team-up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Cyclops returns. Gets back with Emma. All the X-Men get along again and do superhero stuff.

This, plus Honey Badger leading a new Young X-Men team (that don't all get killed for dramatic gravitas several months down the line).

Also, Wanda shows up and goes "No, more mutants".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

With Wolverine's cool new catchphrase, "I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be at what I do."