Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Disco Apocalypse is a fun concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nessus posted:

RIP Skin, taken from us too soon

The cowl comes off of Cyclops and it was Skin beneath it. He just was wearing Cyclops uniform because the alternate universe was very sunny and Cyclops uniform has a lot of UV protection.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Yeah.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Wouldn't it have been easy to just say something like "wow looksl ike Hank hosed up, it wasn't Dr. Doom style time travel after all." Or "Franklin decided these kids deserved their own timeline" or something?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wish they had left Cloak and Dagger as mutants because at least then they had a shot of making one of the 10 X-teams, whereas otherwise they only get used when a writer who likes them can get away with sneaking them in.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

The actual in-canon explanation is that the Phoenix, aka Jean, constantly splits into many fragments and so the Jean in the cocoon was still Jean, even if the Jean that was the Phoenix was also Jean. Madelyne Pryor was also a fragment of Jean. Eventually, near the end of the first X-Factor run, all of these fragments joined back together and that was the Jean who slowly grew in power through the 90s and into Morrison's run.

But the current Marvel mindset/direction for Jean is that she isn't the Phoenix and the Phoenix Force is a totally separate thing and has no actual connection to Jean other than wanting her to host it a lot so obviously they aren't fragments of each other or anything like that, obviously.

So officially the answer is to not think about it that much.

From a story perspective I think it's possible to reconcile all of this. The X-Factor-explained version of Phoenix is last seen near the end of Davis's run in Excalibur, 'killing' its conscious (aka its Jean-ness), deciding to let Rachel take the wheel. My no-prize explanation bridging the gap from there to here is from that point got bored or nostalgic after a few thousand years, and had access to Rachel's time travel power (hey when's the last time THAT has been brought up?) so just sent itself back and now is just some instinctual thing trying to find itself via possessing Jean or the people she loves.

And Hope is another shard or something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Madeline was already evil/gone by the time I started reading, but due to X-men Classic being lined up with just-post Dark Phoenix by a few months, and graphic novels I read a lot of the Madeline stuff almost when I was early to it, and while I knew she would turn eventually (because Marvel cards), it just seemed like such an odd idea because Madeline was always so pleasant and cool. And I was left wondering, what about her coworkers? Actually I still wonder that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Reading through Blue and Red on Unlimited . . . I respect what they are trying to do even if I'm not really LOVING the books. Although man that Mojo crossover was so decompressed, I read the whole thing in the time it takes me to read one comic and it's not like it's fast to switch through two different books on Unlimited.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Diet Poison posted:

Blue and Red or Blue and Gold? Cause Red's the good one, and had like half as many issues as the other two got.
It occurs to me that Blue and Gold both bored me to such a degree that I never actually finished either of them and just accepted the status quo shift when I started Extermination or Uncanny, whichever of those lovely ones. I don't even remember the difference between the two, or if the former was supposed to finish before the latter started. Was Extermination all about Cable?

When was the last time the "main" X-Book was good? I think Bendis' All New + Uncanny started out okay but there wasn't really one moment it stopped being good.
But I mean the great thing about X-Men is there's (usually) so many books that there's always at least one good one going! Just as long as they keep X-23 and Mr & Mrs X running for a while. At least until they bring back X-Dudes (featuring Honey Badger this time).

Oh yeah, I'm reading Gold actually.

Was the Wolverine and the X-Men book considered main? Otherwise I thought the period just before Hope was born was pretty decent in the main books.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It seemed for the "new versions of characters" that Laura had the most acceptance. Or at least I saw the least screaming over THEM PC SJWS TOUK AR JAWBS for her. I dunno if they had to bring him back, I would've preferred she stay with the X teams and Wolverine was off being Patch or something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I liked his X-Force arc but it came to a natural conclusion and then the young Angel after that looked like it might be interesting but got super undercut by the Young X-Men. And like almost all of Angel's interesting character development came post-original X-Men so the young version just brought nothing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ve said this since first grade: Archangel is my second favorite X-Men character. Angel is my least favorite.

Nightcrawler has always been my favorite, for the record.

This brings back memories of when I was a kid and there was a short-lived collectible store that pretty much gave itself over to selling pogs during the pog craze (perhaps, why it was short-lived) and I was buying slammers that were locked up behind glass. I asked for the Archangel one, and then pointed at it and the guy said, "Listen, I know who Archangel is, kid." Good times.

My stepdad found pogs being popular to be very amusing, apparently they were popular when he was a kid, too, which makes me wonder if we're about due for another pog comeback.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was hoping they were gonna have Wolverine alive in there. I guess he doesn’t need more trauma exactly in his back story but I dunno I always heavily favored the “one cell and Wolverine regenerates” extreme of his power and just imagined he was regenerating and dying again in that statue over and over.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Hadn't he lost his healing factor during that whole ordeal so they could pretend he was "really totally dead for real!" in all the PR?

Oooh yeah.

It's funny how I can remember everything that happened in comics that I read or from like 20 years before I was born but can't remember things in comics I read six months ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I do understand why a lot of writers don't want him around full time but I'm perfectly happy with him basically off doing adventures with Magneto or whatever and only popping in every so often to say "hey you are doing a good job, okay gotta go!" And there's so many characters now and generally so many teams and books that there's a spot for him somewhere to be out of the way for whatever writer-self-insert-as-Cyclops coolbro story that needs to be told that can't be bothered by having Dad around.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This looks extremely early 90s.

I'm in.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Covok posted:

Age of X-Man is...good.

I'm enjoying it, but, also, how does this fit in with the timeline? Like, at all?

Does it pick up or did you like it from the start? Because I did not enjoy the 2-3 #1s of the crossover I checked out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Schism was something that I thought would hate. Then the break up story was really good and I thought I would love it. It turned out I was right. I hated the Cyclops half of he divide and loved the Wolverine half.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's probably my favorite comic runs too. I think part of what helps is that it's a complete arc complete with a resolution.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
God my expectations are becoming hard to be tempered.

I am late to Mondo chat but it actually a nice bit of trickery that he was the Generation X member in Age of Apocalypse who we knew nothing about but was maybe the least cynical, pure intentioned member of the team, and died a fairly heroic death…only to end up being a heartless traitor multiple times over in the actual 616. Or a clone of him or whatever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought Fraction's run had a some nice ideas but it somehow drove me from Cyclops still being one of my favorite characters to one of my most hated.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I hate deadly genesis and would go full Hal Jordan on the whole thing if I had talent.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I hope Amazon keeps selling those director cuts. I hope to one day actually see the whole script without the redaction.

FilthyImp posted:

Someone thinks Krakoa cloned old Xdudes and is trying to colonize the planet with it's consciousness via the plants and that wouldn't be a terrible fakeout.

This would basically be Hickman actualizing a very old What-If story, which, I'm fine with.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 31, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really don’t think Hickman is going to pull Maker from Venom. He’s got SO MUCH deep poo poo to pull from X-Men (and is already doing so) that bringing his own toys would seem lazy. Hell, if Franklin is going to play a decent sized part in all of this (which I’m guessing he is) they’ll already let him write the F4 again Some more. Which in not entirely against but good dang there’s so many X-Men let’s have them do things.

I've been interested in how Franklin relates to the X-Men for quite a while (since Claremont and others always inferred that he would eventually join the team or whatever version of the team existed in the future), so I am not against that being explored.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just know that Lifeguard is going to turn up again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rantmo posted:

She's in Hickman's cast! I can't find the image but she's there by name, it's the damndest thing in 2019.

That is cool. I am interested in seeing how that's approached since her power is such a drat "I win" button.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This is so exciting. The Moria stuff opens up so many possibilities, and is a nice nod to the past, for reasons that have been well covered in this thread. Also, I sweeaaarr at some point or the other Moria has once or twice been referenced as being "baseline" mutant/human and that at least once someone did a scan of her and was like "hey this is weird" but nothing came of it. Maybe this is just my brain making things up.

I feel like buying physical comics goes against my desire to reduce clutter but I almost want to for this . . . ugh but it was nice to leave pull lists and such in the past.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

So in relation to the chart at the end, isn’t that a bit of a retcon?

Like it says Technarcs are lead by a Magus and think they are the only big deals and don’t know about the Phalanax. Who are their creators.

But wasn’t it originally the other way around? That the Technarcs created the Phalanax as their smaller, dumber kids. Like it was a plot point in Annihilation Conquest.
Is this a Geoff Johns level of retcon? (“She wasn’t jailbait! She was super old by our standards!”)

From what I understand the Technarcs, due to their ignorance think that they are create Phalanax but they are in fact just propagating them.

Skwirl posted:

Professor Xavier has been a jerk since the early 80s, so I don't get why he's pinning that on Brubaker specifically (aside from Deadly Genesis being really dumb).

I think Brubaker turned Xavier from a jerk to a sociopath and most writers have followed suit. I guess it's not completely his fault since original 1960s Xavier was a sociopath but we moved on to Professor X being just the type of jerk who gives Wolverine demerits for shedding or gives Jubilee an unfair curfew and I don't like that things regressed.

Rick fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 15, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My big guess is that she does 10, and it almost works, it just needs a few minor tweaks maybe, so she goes for one more which is the one we've been reading, but M-Day happened which means this is it?

E: or maybe 10 just works, and is perfect, but she still dies anyway and has to come back for another. Gosh that's bleak.

E2: Also I walked in a comic shop for the first time in a longggg time because of this (I had a doctor appointment and decided I wanted something to read and the internet is unreliable at the doctors). Something I had definitely not remembered after going digital only was the discovery aspect. I pretty much just buy what I want digitally and move on but I could've bought like 10 comics if I let myself today. But I just bought the new X-men and Blade Runner 2019 which I also enjoyed.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 22, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
For all the hate of Deadly Genesis most people accept its characterizations of Xavier even thought they're garbage and based on things not any more valid than Nazi Captain America so you might as well read it so you know why Xavier is a murderer pedophile slavemaster instead of just a jerk.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 14, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Skwirl posted:

That was in the original Uncanny run.

Yeah that is my point. I don’t think a bunch of stuff written in the 60s without a single thought about the ethics of superpowers or the idea that these would be characters that survived for 50 years should have been dredged up to be added to permanent parts of characters who had been more thoughtfully written for 30+ years. I used to say “that would be like dredging up the racist Captain America comics” but they decided to do that too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that Professor X having genuinely uncomfortable/hosed up relationships is not just a one-off thing like Hank Pym's slap.

Which of these appeared in comics between the publishing of Giant Sized and Deadly Genesis? I know they've piled a lot of stuff on since then, with First Class, Illuminati and Wolverine Origins and such but none of this was going on in page.

As far as I know erasing Magneto's mind was the big sin, and hosed up but hardly came out of nowhere. It definitely did lead to Onslaught but Onslaught was(/is?) its own being.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
In my mind I've pushed Danger to happening after Deadly Genesis because I didn't read it until a long time after it was out (I don't think I ever finished Whedon's run, actually) so I missed that one.

Android Blues posted:

Carey's X-Men Legacy did a pretty good Xavier redemption arc for Deadly Genesis. That should have more or less closed the book on it, in my view. I like Xavier and, like many others, I definitely feel like the, "oh no, Xavier kept an important secret and manipulated people!" plot point is done to death.

I thought Legacy was really good, and I was happy that we got a seemingly-content and ready to move on from the X-men Xavier at the start of Schism. The fact that they mostly had the restraint to leave him out of that was actually impressive. Schism is the recent era that I thought was going to suck the most that actually ended up being mostly good (other than the Land art here and there)

danbanana posted:

But I think we can all agree that Beast is a terrible person who does terrible things and probably should be in jail forever.

Yeah that's easy.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 16, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I wonder if Jean seeming less mature is a result of her optimal age being less than adulthood. It wouldn't exactly explain why her personality was different, though .

Good on Proteus for finally finding some buds.

I also am wondering a lot about the villains, some of these dudes are pretty awful. I wonder if they're going to explore "in a utopia, even the irredeemable can be redeemed."

Redeeming Emplate, yeah . . . pretty tall task. This makes me wonder if the M-Twins are there? Penance?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Didn't at least one text portion say they've never tried it before? Obviously other excerpts are from later files because they've tried it a bunch at some point.

If that is time #1 though and Xavier didn't tell Nightcrawler and Wolverine about their backups (probably two people who may not be too keen on a backup), well,

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The real problem is when Wolverine, still alive, hitches a ride on a meteor back to Earth.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
A council of 12 . . . . interesting since "The Twelve" was one of these ancient long un-answered Claremont dangling plots that lasted for years that Alan Davis ultimately put a cap on. But since Alan Davis stories are never not retconned, well, with a few glaring exceptions as far as listed spoiled members, the overall purpose of the group does seem to be more in line with at least the spirit of the earlier clues. Of course this could just be me grasping

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
xmen.kok

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man I really enjoyed the latest issue. Very dense in a good way. I’m definitely excited for the upcoming regulars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I want to say that I really appreciate the thoughtful criticism that people have shared here even if at least right now I'm enjoying this. I think a lot of good ideas have been raised.