Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

more sienkiewicz art is good regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

just seems dumb to think whatever rosenberg is doing isn’t to set up hickman’s run. doesn’t make rosenberg any less lovely of a writer, but i’m guessing all these deaths were dictated by editorial

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is marvel girl jean? is there a reason she's back to that

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm guessing those are hickman's favorite costumes

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

give it 50 or 60 years

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i’m guessing its supposed to be hard to learn to make it difficult for humans to learn it, thus having it implanted into everyone mutant’s brain psychically

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

in mourning, so what are some good fantomex stories that aren’t aaron’s x-force

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Remender's X-Force.

this is what i meant, not aaron

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

from glancing over future solicitation it seems like it's being framed as both

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i know comic book time is always silly but reading through claremont’s run right now and how it handles time makes the idea of the x-men only having been around for 10 years as of now feel very very silly

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

The New Mutants explicitly went to see ET at the theater and watched Magnum PI on tv.

it's less cultural stuff like this (although i was thinking, if its only been ten years then colossus would come from a completely different russia, and would probably be quite a different character,) and more the idea that a character like kitty who joins the x-men when she's 13.5 but is now written like she's in her late 20s early 30s? when generously she should be like, 19-20 years old

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

one thing that got brought up in claremont's i just read that i really like about scott is the idea that he's so bad at communication on a personal level because all he does is date telepaths who can just read his mind to know what he actually feels

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I guess? It's just hard to believe as something the US government would agree to or the non-evil X-Men would be down with. It feels like there are no individuals in this story, just mouthpieces for evolving ideologies.

yeah, now that the world building and big reveals are out of the way (for now) it's starting to feel a little flat? cyclops is the only real interesting character in the present day stuff so far, cause he's the only one who seems to have some reservations of the "leaders"

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

has there been any mention of who's been making these infographics

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Rochallor posted:

I think he's talking from an in-universe perspective? At least, I've been wondering that. From the tone of stuff like "the pretender" it's clearly supposed to be written by someone in-universe. I was thinking it was info compiled by Moira through her lives and prepared for the Moira X timeline.

yeah. i hadn't thought about it before this issue, but the ones here seem more skewed in perspective to make me think they were written by a mutant. makes me wonder if there was anything misleading about previous ones (aside from the moira timelines)

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

danbanana posted:

He has Scott develop a telepath fetish.

think i mentioned this before, but reading through claremont's run there's a bit after jean's death where scott mentions difficulty communicating with a woman he likes because jean could always just read his mind and know what he actually meant. so nah, i think scott cheating on a telepath with another telepath who's more willing to delve deeper inside him is consistent with his established character

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the general lack of reaction to all the red flags is kind of making me.... bored. maybe it'll pay off by the end, but this whole thing feels like a self-indulgent exercise to explain the new status quo that lacks the character relationships that actually make the x-men interesting

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Android Blues posted:

The ambitious plan to "resurrect" all of Genosha's dead is what's really interesting, I think.

you think they'd want to get on that before all their greatest enemies, but hey

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

House of and Powers are just setting up the status quo going forward. It's big broad strokes with some explanation put in here and there. I don't expect much time to be given to interpersonal relationships/conflicts unless it directly affects the setup.

I'd expect all the series spinning out of this to handle those chores.

like, yeah, but it kinda makes for a flat, sometimes uninteresting read. i wish that they had just launched straight into this new status quo and have these details peppered out in books over time.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Jiro posted:

Hmmmm so we should really only pay attention to the Hickman written books? X-Force sounds pretty dope.

i’m more interested in fallen angels, marauders, and excalibur than either hickman book right now

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

was reading a review of x-men: grand design over at TCJ and this bit is a good summation of what made claremont's run so good and what PoX/HoX is missing

quote:

Claremont has a gift for reinterpreting events without rewriting them (see also Avengers Annual #10, which harrowingly recontextualizes Captain Marvel’s departure from the Avengers). But retcons are only one way that he capitalizes on the strengths of episodic storytelling. His work on the X-Men is intuitive and non-linear: he’s frequently jumpstarting issues in the middle of the action, crowbarring origin stories into characters’ real time traumatic events, or planting plot points that won’t pay off for years. The throughline is emotion, not action. It’s messy in the way the characters might themselves be experiencing the events. Some of the non-linear storytelling occurs for practical reasons, like the recapping of past events to give new readers a foothold in the narrative. But those recaps often have a Rashomon effect for longtime readers—each appearance gives shades of fresh insight and added context to familiar beats. As in real life, the present is always remixing the past.

http://www.tcj.com/reviews/x-men-grand-design-second-genesis/

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

PoX/HoX is not a run. That comes after. It's an event book.

it's... a comic book.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

qwewq posted:

Sure, but comparing 9 issues to a run that spanned 3 decades maybe doesn't feel completely analogous?

it’s not a one to one comparison, it’s a comparison of storytelling. you don’t have to look at claremont’s whole run, you could pull out any 9 issue (or less) run and see it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I started reading X-Factor while taking a break from UXM/New Mutants and I knew all about Scott being called a dick for abandoning his wife and kid, but boy, the rest of the original X-men look like bigger assholes pressuring him into working with him while he's at such an insane low point

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

so now i guess it's law that all mutants must gently caress

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

whatever Xavier is hiding (if he is) has to be something that would surprise the reader, but not necessarily the people around him. so i think you can rule out obvious possession like that

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i think xavier’s face is just misdirection. i think it’ll end up being some function of the helmet that’s hosed up

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the description sounds like he's going into a type of stasis, but with his awareness intact, which sounds worse than just getting killed

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1145787247989538816?s=20

i mean....

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Magik has been a fighter ever since she first got aged up in Claremont's Uncanny.

she was a fighter, but she was always the loner of the group in New Mutants. maybe that's changed but Dani seems the more obvious choice for general out of that group

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like it’s a valid criticism because it’s just bad storytelling. What’s the point of a bunch of wtf moments if all the characters feel shallow and interchangeable? And yes, this is set-up, but for what? Hickman doesn’t have to explore every single character’s feelings about this new status quo, but it’s lacked the foreshadowing that would at least give the notion of where things are going. The Namor scene is example where Hickman does this well, we see how Namor sees this situation and it foreshadow’s that Xavier’s actions may not be entirely what they seem

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

not crazy about the idea of Moira giving birth to Proteus as just part of the plan

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I think either there’s something more to the plan Moira doesn’t want anyone else to know about, or somehow Moira somehow knows that this too is going to fail

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also not sure where Hickman is going with this posthuman stuff. if humans can genetically modify themselves into being something equal to, or greater than mutants, then what really separates them? i guess i don't see the significance of this being the hidden 6th Moira life, other than maybe clarifying that humans and not machines are mutants ultimate enemy. i'm sure Hickman will explore this more, but it just doesn't seem as interesting as anything going on in the current lifetime

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

were Jean and Scott a thing before this? after they both came back to life?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, X-Men #1. Cyclops was so in love with the idea of being a dad he abandoned his son (and wife) to go start X-Factor.

yeah it's kind of weird to throw all the Summers clan together as this one big, happy family. not that they don't deserve to be happy, but historically I think that hasn't been when they're with one another

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

if that is what is actually intended, then revealing it through a diagram is the lamest poo poo possible

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

there was that time the New Mutants were so traumatized by being killed and brought back to life by the Beyonder that Magneto sent them all to Frost to telepathically work with them because he couldn’t figure out how to help them

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

maybe Krakoa only has control over the portals once they're planted, and so they were worried about letting the humans get a hold of one of the seeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Wow, it's been 32 years since the last FF/X-Men miniseries (which holds up decently).

I will now diminish and go into the West.

that mini is great and I’m even more excited that zdarsky mentioned this will be a kind of sequel to that