Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Everything about the Velvet Room in this game is made from distilled but leaky and hard-to-aim :allears:

(With a little :cripes::japan: thrown in for good measure.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, IMO, the feeling of anger and indignation you get at the start is quite deliberate. Makes a nice smokescreen and gives a lot of context to your early dialogue choices.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Well, to be fair, in-game P4 Protagonist is a standard blank-slate guy.

For the anime, both of them, he's basically being remote controlled by someone who is trying to 100% Persona 4 as efficiently as possible.

Which is bold and hilarious at the same time.
Anyone who didn't love the fishing scene in P4tA can meet me in the pit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You don't.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's also a reason that everyone else fled from the Escapist and their lovely culture and business practices. I can only imagine how much they must be paying him to disregard all that and stay the only thing holding their burning wreck of a site up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love the aesthetics of this game across the board, but Arsene's appearance is a really good example of why.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Deep Booming Thunder Voice Eargasm
Dibs on that band name

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GeneX posted:

Actually, it's because the talking cat is an awful character and I like to pretend it doesn't exist
I just wish the drat cat wasn't so useful mechanically.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Anything we could say about Morgana is considered spoilers right? Isnt that why we're not talking about him?
Pretty much, I'd imagine. Better safe than sorry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Even if it's completely meaningless in the long-run, I wish there'd been more dialogue options that let you lean into "yes, I got lost until noon, I'm new to the city, and it's Shibuya."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, I suspect the answer to this question is "Not really," but...

Are there any other RPGs out there that are like the 'modern' Persona games?

These two excellent P5 LPs are really giving me the urge to play, but I doubt I'll ever own a console that'd run it. I'm curious, especially after the runaway success of P4, if there are any worthy imitators/successors that might be out there. Or, hell, any games that came before P3 that might have served as inspiration for the changes.
Not really, but if you haven't, you should really give Persona 3 Portable a try. The female route does a lot to inject new life into the game. Certainly more than FES/The Answer ever did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Haifisch posted:

But if you do this you owe it to yourself to look up the male's Hermit route, since it's the only one that got worse in the female version.
I dunno, there's something sort of humorous about the whole thing being so over-the-top tragic, but that's definitely not what they were intending.

I won't say any more, lest I get too deep into spoilers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Night10194 posted:

So if I'm getting what we've seen so far, the conceit of this game is that you're mystical robbers who invade the mental castles of assholes and then rummage through their secrets to expose their hypocrisy and villainy to the real world? Is that what's going on here?

I think I'll be picking this one up sometime after all.
That's the long and short of it, yeah! It's a very good game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

I love this game. :allears:

I played the protagonist as a snarky whiner basically from the word go, and there are some glorious responses you get from people for it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The typical Kamoshida experience:
"Man, this is melodramatic, there's no way something like this could happen in real life.

...oh. :("

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is the Lum Invader at it again, or are you both just still keeping your avatars from their last spree?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God, my first reaction to this moment.

"Oh, man, so this is what they meant by getting dark. A Life Is Strange situation where I have to talk a girl off a ledge, and-

Oh. Oh."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

vdate posted:

given P4's localization read as naturally and fluidly as something that contained that many instances of the word 'senpai' could read.
:golfclap:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

He seems an unpleasant fellow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly they got right down to Ann getting her Persona and joining the party, instead of making us wait a while or have a huge dungeon run.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No worries, it happens.

Can't wait to see people's reactions to Carmen. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No one say anything about Kamoshida's theoretical Persona. I want to see the raw reactions.

Junpei posted:

So, now can I make it obvious for those who don't quite get it yet?
I think anyone who doesn't get it at this point deserves to have their innocence preserved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kemix posted:

I rather liked Carmen's design here. It's a shame I pretty much abandoned her for the next party member since I'm that guy. I've been really cautious about SP usage to try and go through dungeons in a single day. SADLY, it's hard to do a one-day run through of the first dungeon, I know I had to take multiple days at the dungeon when I first started this dungeon.
I dumped Ann as soon as I had another option, honestly. Not so much because of her mechanics as because of how skeevy some of the gameplay stuff with her is. (I'll go into more detail once we really get to see her in battle.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mauman posted:

Pretty much. It's an ok design.

What's really weird about this game is how much I like the basic personas vs the upgraded ones. The upgraded ones are just not as cool.
Persona 4's are pretty hit-and-miss, too, IMO. They all look really over-designed and just way too busy to me. And that's in a game with Disco Ninja Frog.

I think it's that the palettes are all just really out there. Not bad designs, just really in need of recoloring.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 5, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GeneX posted:

We can see a bit of that here, where her theme up to this point is "I'm basically only thought of as a sex object, that sucks" and then the game puts her in a catwoman fetish outfit, complete with zippers, all the while talking about how Kamoshida is gross for what he's trying to do to Ann as represented by a vapid version of her in a bikini
It'd be a brilliant bit of meta-commentary if it was intentional. I don't think it was, though, the 'joke' gets dragged on far too long, far too... earnestly?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the issues for me is that "look at this girl, she's using her sexuality to empower herself" being used in a work designed mostly by men is still a teenage girl being sexualized by men.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wiseblood posted:

There's a certain aspect about her in battles that kinda throws any idea that she was designed to be a sexually empowering character out the window (would being specific count as as a spoiler?)
We're probably thinking the same thing, so yeah, let's wait a while. OP might bring it up in the next update.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone rang?

Hotlinked instead of inlined for major P4 spoilers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The other P5 LP thread says to not go spoiling other Persona games. Figured I'd play by the same rules here. :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

The concept of spoilers pisses me off to no end. Its not about not telling people things or something like that, its specifically about being told things ruining the entire experience which is complete bullshit, it'd have to be a lovely experience you wouldn't enjoy in the first place if you cant enjoy it just by knowing something about it. We should trash the entire concept and get a new one that isnt innately insulting to stories.

Just follow common decency, if someone asks you nicely not to say things in a public space, dont. If someone yells and insults you, feel free to ignore them till someone asks decently. Also since this is Arist's thread, follow his rules at all times. Speaking of, Arist, might want to add a policy section to OP to curb any arguments about this.

Speaking of people that actually make the games, I wonder if any of the Career Soft people that Atlus ate worked on this. Career soft was great.
Are you okay?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Junpei posted:

Morgana: Cassandra Lee (Famous roles: Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Aoi Asahina from Danganronpa)
:stare: Well that's a hell of a way to avoid being typecast.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

It's hard to tell from this angle, but yeah, that's an unconscious teenage girl in a catsuit with her rear end in the air. :yikes:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Junpei posted:

I like Ann's thief outfit (PURELY FROM AN AESTHETIC POINT OF VIEW, NOT BECAUSE I'M PERVY)
Sometimes, I wonder if you do this kind of thing on purpose.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

McFetusBurger posted:

It comes across like they are trying to make that point, and that the way people treat her isn't supposed to feel natural.
Counterargument, "don't you feel weird perving on this teenage girl" doesn't suddenly justify the back half of that sentence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mauman posted:

Japan has different ages of consent to Western Culture.

Can we please stop this topic for now? At least until we get more info in the game? It's starting to feel like a festering boil on an otherwise decent lp.
This isn't ethnocentricism, it's pointing out that the game is guilty of literally the exact thing it's trying to condemn. You don't need to defend the e-honor of Persona's Weird Sex Stuff, the LP isn't suddenly going to stop existing because you didn't come running to the defense of ephebophilia.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

What I don't understand about the armor washing thing is why you're not allowed to read a book while you wait.
That would've actually made it at least nominally worthwhile.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ayana posted:

The design of Kamoshida's Palace, especially the rotating picture shortcut, really imply that at one point safe-room warping was NOT part of the plan.

On the one hand convenience features are king, but on the other hand I really think the game might have lost something really stylish that would have really upped the epic heist feel by forcing you to take increasingly convoluted shortcuts in order to stealth your way closer and closer to the Treasure. That, and secret passages are just plain cool, and this game practically runs on the premise of doing absurd things while looking as loving awesome as possible.
You could probably still do it as a self-imposed challenge. Make the stealth actually feel meaningful, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Junpei posted:

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I never really cared about Technicals all that much.
I mostly cared about getting hit by them. Trying to inflict them was too much hassle most of the time when I could just put that energy into hitting a weakness or attacking harder.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Being banned is my waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A Bystander posted:

You could probably give this an hour every day or something like that and I'd say it's worth your time.
It would also last you a solid 3-4 months at that pace, depending. Persona 5 is a long game.