Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Count Bleck posted:

Lord Jaraxxus from WoW

YOU FACE SOJIRO, COFFEE BAR LORD OF THE CURRY LEGION!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It's a shame the Awakening video doesn't have this line in it, because Mittleman does a fantastic job of selling Ryuji's anger and frustration at his situation finally boiling over.

And yeah, Ryuji's a pretty great character. There were times I got annoyed at some of the stuff he does, but his heart is in the right place.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

This whole opening build up just made me so mad. I never had to deal with an abusive teacher, but I was constantly bullied from kindergarten through high school, and pretty much always ended up being the one who got in trouble for trying to protect myself while the people who were bullying me were never punished for a variety of bullshit reasons.

So I keenly empathize with a bunch of students who are suffering abuse and nobody does anything about it because the system that's supposed to protect them from poo poo like this has loving failed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Is the Lum Invader at it again, or are you both just still keeping your avatars from their last spree?

I just haven't gotten around to replacing mine yet.

Also, Lum is cool.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

First time through the game, I picked, "We'll have to risk it," because I really couldn't see any other options and I figured there's gotta be SOME way to pull it off and make sure he doesn't die from it... but Ryuji still had cold feet, so we sat on it for a day.

And then the next day rolls around and I hear the words, "She's gonna jump!" and at that point my mind goes into a loop of, "Oh Jesus gently caress no no no no don't do this no no no-"

:stare:

That's the point where I went from being mad about how hosed up things in this school are to absolutely livid. The game does an absolutely fantastic job of making you want to put an end to Kamoshida and his reign of tyranny, no matter what the cost.

I think the only time I've seen a Persona game get darker faster than this was the opening of P4: Dancing All Night, which opened with an animated cutscene of a little girl trying to track down her favorite idol after a concert to get an autograph and walking in on her mere seconds after she'd hung herself.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm a native English speaker, and I was too busy enjoying the hell out of the game to notice or care about any of the stuff people have been complaining about when it comes to the English script.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Kamoshida turns to Ann.

I bet you’re just like those thieves. You came because you’re pissed at me, huh? But, ah… I forget that chick’s name, but it’s your fault she jumped, you know.
Huh…?

This is the point where the game wants to make sure that if you didn't completely loathe everything about Kamoshida before 4/15, you definitely will after it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

Do they have custom all-out-attack finisher images, or are my dudes just going to magically slap their default outfits back on for a moment?

'Cause there are some pretty sweet DLC outfits I'm considering buying.

Your dudes are just going to magically slap their default outfits back on for a moment.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

It even hides her name, since we don't know it yet.

P5 is probably the most forgiving first-time 100% run(or at least 100% maxed links) Persona game since they started doing the s-link/calendar system thing. We've come a long way from the ultra-rigid scheduling of P3.

I didn't bother to follow a guide for how to spend my time, and I still managed to max all my social stats and all but one of my confidants (which wound up at 7) by the time I finished my first run.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Joker having red gloves is significant because he was captured in the opening scenes of the game.

He was caught red-handed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

We probably won't cover this because I went the entire game without it happening my first run.

In 137 hours of gameplay, I had it happen to me once, and I ended up having to reload, because I was trying to fuse something specific for a reason that Arist will cover later.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Amusingly, he's also the Persona that learns the skill "Concentrate" the earliest. :thunk:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Even worse when it whips out a top hat and cane.

Check please! :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Morgana's crush on Ann never bothered me since Ann herself has basically just been ignoring it entirely up to now. If she was even half as bothered by it as the people complaining about it seem to be, she probably would have made it a point to shut him down by now. And given that his whole gimmick is that he's a gentleman thief, I'm pretty sure if she just directly told him to back off, his feelings would be hurt but he'd apologize for making her uncomfortable and drop it.

But as it stands, if she's not visibly bothered by it, I see no reason to get bent out of shape over it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ugh, that paper bag. That paper bag is going to be the bane of our existence for the next few months whenever we go to shop at Untouchable.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Effin' Goons ruin everything.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

The character that looks like a dead ringer for Wilson Fisk is up to something shady and possibly evil. I'm mildly shocked by this development.

I can't remember who it was, but I remember someone once making the comment that he looked "like Wilson Fisk did the fusion dance with a runny egg."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks, it's been awhile and there's like three different Persona 5 threads and I couldn't remember if that was said in the LP or in one of the other ones.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Just popping in to say that if you haven't been clicking on the music links, you should definitely make an exception for this one and give it a listen. Life Goes On is a super chill piece of music and it's a drat shame that you only get to hear it during exams.

Also, add me to list of people who loved So-Good Tora's confidant side story. I think he was one of the first ones I actually maxed out on my run.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

How ‘bout you…?

Ryuji's reaction here if you pick "I'm feeling confident" is fantastic. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Never seen anyone do anything less
I still feel bad for Morgana, because its a kitty

I patted softly because Morgana is my friend and he knows where I sleep. :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Snorb posted:

So at what point can we just say "You know what, Yusuke? You're a big boy. You can handle your own problems. We'll forget all about that conversation the other day. Bother Ann again, and Madarame's gonna have fun figuring out what to do with a pupil with two loving broken hands?"

Never, because we're cunning and mysterious Phantom Thieves who outwit our opponents, not vulgar and unimaginative thugs who threaten them with crude physical violence.

Also, we're kinda still under probation, and even with Ann and Ryuji vouching for us, I somehow doubt the police are going to take the word of a kid who's already been arrested for assault before over the word of a world famous artist with tons of connections and his student with two broken hands. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

P4 MC's parents dumped him in Inaba for a year for Reasons

They were out of the country for a year due to work-related reasons. Presumably, shipping him out to Inaba to live with his uncle was done so that he could keep attending school instead of dragging him out of the country with them and setting his studies back by a year.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I always saw it as less of a 'totally perving on Ann' and more of a 'feelings on Ann aside, the only objective way to do this is for Ann to accept Yusuke's request'.

Another factor to consider is that he's not even going to be in the same room with Ann and Yusuke to see anything, because he's going to be trying to open the lock on that door. So I'm really not understanding how that line could be interpreted as him suddenly being on board with the plan because it means he might get to see his crush get naked.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The main thing holding Yusuke back is one of his gimmicks relies on a mechanic that's not usable during boss battles. And the other stuff you'd want to bring him for, as always, Joker can do just as well, if not better.

That said, I still took him with me for a good chunk of the game, and even brought him along for the final boss in spite of his limitations, and he did just fine.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Due to union regulations, my VA's name cannot be disclosed or listed in the credits.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this

Is a reference.

To everyone's favorite brick wall boss from When They Were Young(er) And Bad At SMT Games.

To my knowledge, Force was replaced by Wind after Nocturne, thus, you are required to get Magaru instead of Mazan.

Old school :atlus: at its finest.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Given that Ryuji approached us about this while at school, one has to wonder where he came across that flyer to begin with.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is going to lead to a Confidant, isn't it?

One of the best Confidants.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Didn't he say it was in his mailbox?

And you believed that? :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

idhrendur posted:

Meanwhile I'm distracted by the fact that the chess moves on the TV are completely nonsensical. That's not chess notation, and even if it were the board is 8x8, so 9-5 would be off the board entirely.

Except they're not playing chess, they're playing shogi, which is played on a 9x9 board.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Oh, I like this chick.

... Why. :psyduck:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

it is a real slippery slope before them, as shows like Death Note have already shown.

I dunno, Death Note wasn't so much a slippery slope as it was a sheer drop-off that Light gleefully dove into head first.

Seriously, he went from, "Might as well test this on someone nobody will care about, on the off chance it's legit," to "Holy poo poo, did that actually work? Better test it again to be sure," to "I AM NOW THE GOD OF THIS WORLD AND ALL WHO OPPOSE ME WILL DIE".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

The bonds that you have reeled in are quite intriguing… In other words, they all have been unfairly labeled by society and are standing up against such fates. Have you noticed? Your heart seems to inspire theirs. *chuckle* Outcasts of society… In other words, you’re picaresque.

First time I played this game, I paused at this point to look up what the hell "picaresque" was.

Dictionary.com posted:

picaresque
[pik-uh-resk]

adjective
pertaining to, characteristic of, or characterized by a form of prose fiction, originally developed in Spain, in which the adventures of an engagingly roguish hero are described in a series of usually humorous or satiric episodes that often depict, in realistic detail, the everyday life of the common people:
picaresque novel; picaresque hero.
of, relating to, or resembling rogues.

Yep, checks out. :eng101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

So anyone who was wondering how long such a prominent and public hiding spot would last... well there you go: just about one boss, just like the last one. And while yes, it is Ryuji's fault for giving the game up (which I think we all knew would happen as well, I think), I'm with Arist in saying that Yusuke should not be pointing fingers at this juncture. I mean, we all had a good month or so to point out to each other that hey, maybe our meeting place is a little too flagrantly public to discuss "certain things", especially given them being accosted by the cops, and Maaku himself knowing about at least one person obviously following them. And given that Morgana approved the hideout in the first place for whatever reason and said bupkiss before today, I don't imagine anyone in our group has the ground to come the I-told-you-so routine. Criminal masterminds, we are not.

Except the place Makoto caught a recording of Ryuji bellowing about being the Phantom Thieves was the quad at school, not our current "hideout" on the walkway in Shibuya.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

H-Hey, wait… Lemme go! Dude, help! You can hear me, can’t you!?

I told him to show them his inner man. I confess that I was still mad at him about us getting caught by Makoto, and his screwing up here by not changing out of his uniform just got me further upset at him.

In retrospect, I'm not proud of how I reacted here.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Reminder that one of the writers said that it's impossible for men and women to be platonic friends.

Which explains a lot about P3's romance routes when you think about it.

It wasn't one of the writers, it was the director.

I was a bit more hostile towards Sae in a few of the upcoming interrogation bits following that scene. Because seriously, telling your only family that she's a burden on you and that she's worthless? What the actual goddamn gently caress, Sae? :catstare:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

That fortune teller’s name was Chihaya, right? She clearly has some kind of mystical power… but this is just unacceptable. ...We need to go complain to her!

Or, and hear me out: we could slash her tires. Your idea’s great, but I like mine a lot too.

The problem with your idea is that it hinges upon the assumption that she owns a vehicle with tires that can be slashed.

Glazius posted:

Shame about that holy stone - I figured it'd save us from instant death.

Arist didn't show it, but if you check your inventory after the scene where the stone breaks, you'll have three pieces of salt in your inventory. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think they restore a small bit of SP?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Omobono posted:

Never saw it myself, but what context is even possible for a manga where Pope Benedictus XVI fights super Aryan Hitler in an high-stakes Mahjong game?

Also how the gently caress isn't the stunt in that video not ground for immediate disqualification and a lifetime ban? There's cheating, there's showing a full house of aces over aces and there's pulling a monopoly "get out of jail free" card where you scribbled "this is totally the ace of hearts" with a sharpie.

Much like in Yu-Gi-Oh and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, cheating is perfectly fine in gambling/gaming anime as long as it's the protagonist doing it.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 25, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Anon: Phantom Thieves YAAAS!

Music: Life Goes On

YAAAS guy is probably my favorite of these commenters. :allears:

Also, I just wanna plug the exam music again, because it's really drat good and chill and it's a shame that it only gets used for the exams.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So is it at this point our dead MC figures "hey maybe I should use this power I have to change peoples hearts to stop the parents from being greedy fucks?"

What would they even charge her with? Giving illegal horoscopes?

Unfortunately, we don't have their full names yet.

As for Chihaya, well, she is a con artist, even if her predictions are surprisingly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The best use of the Spinner was in Hyrule Warriors.

I also wonder how many Nocturne veterans mentally poo poo themselves when Mot showed up in this dungeon before they remembered this game doesn't use the Press Turn system.