Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

sauer kraut posted:

18 months? No regrets.
If you're building a thing now to never touch again (except GPU) for 5 years, I would not go with a sixcore. In that case 3700X or i7-9700K can become a tougher question.

Hmm. I posted in the parts picker thread that I'm looking for a replacement for my i5-2500k which has done me proud for almost 8 years. I was looking at a 2600 or 3600 as a good value replacement that would work for gaming at 1080p, but if I'm looking for a CPU that will fit the same niche of "keeps chugging along for years to come" should I be saving up for a 3700X? Or get a 2600 now and plan to upgrade in a few years' time? I'm currently using a GTX 1060 6GB so I guess that will be the new bottleneck whatever I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'd be getting a new motherboard and RAM as well so it looks like my costs would be around £300 for the 2600 or £370 for the 3600, so I'd be inclined to go for the 3600 as I can afford either at the moment. It sounds like trying to future proof at this point by targeting higher specs is not an efficient use of my money.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thanks for the advice on 2600 vs 3600 the other day. I ended up going 2600 as all I'm looking to do is lock in 60fps for the next couple of years and I was able to get chip, motherboard and 16GB RAM for under £300. By the time I'm due another ride on the upgrade train I'm sure my budget and the computing landscape will both look very different.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The Gate posted:

Also true, and I'll be honest I haven't built a PC in 7 years so like, I wanted this time to go as smoothly as possible. :v:

I'm kind of feeling this but part of me is really excited to set up nothing but a PSU and a motherboard outside of the case and flash the BIOS with only a single led to tell me what's going on.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Just noticed when tinkering with CPU-Z that having a game launcher open in the background (Steam, EGS) means my 3600 is always running at 4.2Ghz / 1.4V. Is this normal? Closing them immediately drops it to 3.6Ghz and under 1V. Should I be worried? I generally have my launchers open in the background as I stream from my PC to the TV downstairs.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

lot's of people are having similar issues. some people are hitting 60c while idling from it - but the main focus has been on monitoring programs causing it. messing with the power plans and disabling pbo fixes it for some people from what i've seen, but it seems bios and setup dependant. the AMD guy who posts on their subreddit has said it's normal and not worry about it but that theyre also looking into. he's supposed to be posting an update about it this week.

Thanks, guess I'll look out for updates to the BIOS / chipset. I was this close to doing a completely fresh Windows install. I've not had any other issues but maybe I should anyway, it's been a while.

I've been having high idle temperatures as well and was worried I'd hosed up the cooler installation somehow so glad to hear it's not that. Going to do a bit of a cable tidy when I have a spare hour as it won't hurt.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 23, 2019

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Stickman posted:

What problems have you been hearing about? I haven't heard anything about them specifically beyond a little bit of pickiness about which USB drives work with the flash feature (smaller drives formatted to Fat32) and the launch boosting issues that seem to be a problem across all boards .

There's a lot of folk on the MSI reddit that seemingly can't get the BIOS flash working at all. It's not consistent, and it could be user error, but there were enough complaints to make me nervous putting mine together.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah that's the weird thing. Maybe it's a rare issue but everyone with it has posted about it on Reddit, making it seem more common than it is. Or maybe goons are just better at computer than redditors :smug:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

For those of you having temp issues with your new Ryzen chips, check to see if your cooler is seated well before you jump to conclusions.

I'm sure everyone in this thread knows more than I do about PCs and building them and everything involved. But if you're like me and you're a little rusty with building PCs and you're sitting there at home driving yourself crazy, check all the things!

I had my cooler seated wrong. Went from 60-80 degree temps on one core to now a happy 35-50 degree average.

That said, I've not really put the system to a test yet.

In what way was it seated wrong for you? It's my first time installing a CPU / cooler so I followed the recommended approach of tightening screws in an X pattern until tight but not over tight. The stock cooler has springs on (presumably to stop you over tightening) so do I need to tighten them more? The advice on all this is annoyingly imprecise.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I did that but I'm still getting idle temps of 50+. Guess I'll try tightening the cooler screws some more.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($539.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H500i ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1541.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-07 20:14 EDT-0400

^^ To give you an idea of what I was smacking together. I don't think I'm working with some of the same screws you are, my friend.

Before the reseating I was getting spikes of the one core over 80 degrees and in the 90s when under load.

Since fixing now and using the PC for a few days I am idling at around 30, basic PC usage pushing 40 and rarely exceeding that. Under load playing total war I was bouncing between 60 and high 70s.

My buddy and I were just being loving idiots while we were putting it together stoned.

One screw was tightened properly and the other was mis-threaded and was just being held on with some tension. Probably looked like a < if the bottom were flat and the CPU.

I realize mine is not a representative case and I'm just dumb and my friend put enough PCs together, for his job, to get overconfident.

Ah cheers. Yeah I think the 3600 (what I have) and the 3700X have different stock coolers. At any rate I did some monitoring of mine playing CPU-heavy games and it tops out at about 70 so I'm not too worried although I'm getting some extra fans for my case at the weekend to improve overall airflow.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

How have people been setting their sys fan curves (and CPU fan curve) with the 3rd gen Ryzens? Smart fan control usually defaults to CPU temperature, but because the Ryzen runs hot and changes temperature frequently, my formerly quiet machine sounds like it's going to take off.

Should I just change sys fans to work off ambient internal temperatures? My 3600 tends to run between 40 at idle and 70 under load so if that range isn't doing it any harm I'd rather go with something that stays relatively quiet.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah, I've got settings for that so I'll have a tinker. With smart fan control off my internal system temperature is always around 30 so I'm now wondering if I need it at all.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

On the subject of AM4 forever, a hundred years, I got a Ryzen 5 3600 back in 2019 and I'm wondering if it's almost time to upgrade. It's paired with a 3070 so most stuff is still GPU throttled, but even though I don't play a lot of CPU-heavy games I'm getting closer and closer to the minimum specs for games like Alan Wake 2 and Dragon's Dogma 2 (not played this one yet but I probably will get it later this year).

Is it worth upgrading at this point if I'm not looking to upgrade my GPU for another couple of years? Even the 5800X3D is looking affordable-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I saw the price difference and asked myself if the 3D version made that much difference, so it's good to know that you've directly compared them.

It looks like the 5800X3D is about £265 locally - I probably won't hit buy right this second, but if DD2's performance hasn't been fixed by the time I get around to buying it I reckon that'll be my prompt to upgrade.