Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MH Knights posted:

Are there any reviews comparing a Ryzen 2700X to an i5 9600K? They are essentially the same price, when factoring in the cost of a cooler for the i5, so I was wondering how they compare.

Ryzen 2700x is popular precisely because it is incredible value for money, the reality is that in gaming even an i5 8400 beats it.
I am going to assume you just want to play PC games - if you can get the 9600k for the same price you should buy that instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The best time to buy new hardware is tomorrow

This continues to apply tomorrow

Such is life

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Price/performance is the big factor in a lot of people's purchasing decisions, I certainly won't be paying double for just 10-15% more performance. At higher resolutions (like 4k) the gap disappears, and the difference really only manifests at 1080p - which begs the question, who the gently caress would play at 1080p with a 9900k?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Klyith posted:

your video card is perfectly happy without pcie 4.0

This brings me back to the days of AGP 4x and 8x

I recall that GPUs still didn't need 8x by the time pcie rolled around

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I really hope that Ryzen 5 3600 is real
8c/16t at $170 is nuts

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Budzilla posted:

6 cores and 12 threads at 50W TDP for $100USD? :aaaaa:

Pretty crazy to what has happened to the desktop market since the launch of original Ryzen with previous years of quad core stagnation.

Yep, people say the 2500k is a legendary CPU (and I personally think so too) but that's really largely down to complete stagnation of Intel's efforts in the last decade. They've been releasing Sandybridge over and over and over under different names. They just haven't moved an inch until AMD burst onto the scene with Ryzen. I really hope they can pull it off with Radeon too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Sneeze Party posted:

Anybody have any insight as to why AMD's stock took a 10% poo poo today? Or maybe it's more like 9% right now. Whatever.

:chaostrump:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Monster Hunter World PC has literally hundreds of threads running at any one time and around 20% CPU usage is spent just switching them around. It's the crappiest port I've ever seen.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Lube banjo posted:

Well the technology has to begin somewhere. At least they seem to be pushing the envelope and utilizing a lot of threads?

Not when you get things like this;

quote:

https://i.imgur.com/VvuZgpX.gifv

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I don't know how the gently caress somethingawful doesn't support properly downsizing gifv embeds yet

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The current gen consoles came after a generation that was born in the recession era and the console developers really didn't want to do strange, expensive bespoke designs again. That's why the current bunch use practically off the shelf pc configurations as opposed to weird hosed up triple core ppc or cell tech with spes and such.

There's a lot of expertise overlap for multi thread programming as a result

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

zzzz

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

lol no zen 2

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So two years after the 1080ti came out AMD finally has a competitor for it :bravo:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is it basically a forgone conclusion that both the Xbox and Playstation platforms will be sticking with an AMD based x86 platform with AMD graphics for the time being? Seems like a win all around, but just curious.

Yeah too many reasons to stay with them, mostly relationship, price and backward/forward compatibility. Nvidia had their go with the original Xbox and they basically tried to rip Microsoft off.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

This seems weird to me. I haven't owned a console since the Super Nintendo, so excuse what may be a dumb question, but...doesn't this mean that the two base systems will be fairly similar to one another? If so, the only substantive differentiations will the online ecosystems and any locked-up exclusives?

That's actually very much the case right now

They both use jaguar and some kind of Polaris

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Palladium posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13405/intel-10nm-cannon-lake-and-core-i3-8121u-deep-dive-review/7

tl;dr version: Intel's 10nm while interesting from a process design PoV, in its current iteration is a hot piece of garbage.

The CPU is literally from a low budget Chinese laptop made solely for their schools, I feel that this isn't exactly a fair analysis for now
They are struggling with the process but this CPU is clearly not meant to be compared alongside desktop CPUs

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Article said 100K+ wafers a month supply from the fab and they trashed around 10K wafers with this mistake so its quite the oopsie but its not going to make a big dent in the market.

There's going to be a LOT of 8Ds and disciplinaries thrown around in that factory for the next couple of weeks though

Working in a similar industry, I really feel for the people there, atmosphere must be loving horrible in there right now

It's always the small operators getting it in the neck while the middle level managers get away scott-free despite being responsible for creating a situation where such a monumental gently caress-up was allowed to happen

I'm not mad or anything!!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm super happy if my pc is totally outclassed in 2 years. Bring it on. You don't "have" to upgrade anything.

I definitely agree with this. Stagnation just feels horrible overall. I know the drum has been beat many times on this but we've felt this stagnation before with 2500k to 6600k being barely much of a jump and of course nvidia's & AMD's total failure to advance a generation decently in the GPU arena.

Ryzen is the best thing to happen in years

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

PC dynamic resolution has a long way to go; every implementation I've seen sucks and lets it hit %100 gpu usage (and thus spiking frames) before it reacts. PC games need to let you set a maximum GPU usage % to get the most of it and ensure actual consistent performance

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

loving thank you, someone else got to it before me.

Learn the loving difference, you goons.

Fox News Brain is a terrible affliction, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Tech (media, games consoles, videos, broadcasts etc) basically tried to jump straight to 4K from 1080p and doing it incredibly clumsily. It's baffling why we didn't just go to 1440p instead of trying to push 4k everywhere. The hardware just isn't ready for it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

What is it with pc hardware makers treating us like children and putting color LEDs and gaudy tacky loving poo poo on everything? They make everything look like toys. Gaming laptops suffer from this especially

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

iospace posted:

(though I don't know why you'd need anything higher given the limitations of the human eye, but I digress)

I disagree, there are still obvious aliasing on fine details such as foliage, chain link fences, overhead power lines, etc. TAA helps, but it aggressively softens the image quality. You underestimate the human eye, and how much higher resolution needs to go to reach anywhere near the detail we see in real life.

There are still room for further resolution increases. Especially as display sets get bigger and bigger. By the end of this decade people will be playing games on 65-85" televisions, where the resolution becomes more obvious.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Laslow posted:

Kind of sucks, I want that 3950x to replace my aging Haswell E3, but 4K60 will still be a $1200 pipe dream GPU wise, even waiting til September.

Mainstream 4k gaming remains irritatingly out of reach for a while yet still. There was a brief time when my 6700k and 1080ti actually did run high-maximum settings without dipping but game requirements in general has gone up again

I'm just thankful that I only play Destiny 2 99% of the time and that runs 4k60 on max just fine.

Nvidia really dropped the ball with RTX, they should have capitalized on the growing 4KTV segment & 1080ti hype, and focused on bringing 4k gaming to the masses, not ray tracing.

You'd be surprised what you can get away with CPU-wise to achieve 4K60, CPU stuff is largely independent of resolution compared to GPUs, and only has to run at 60 frames after all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

it's a moving part on a bit where there shouldnt be moving parts, that's the top and bottom of it

moving parts fail and need replacing

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

1080p is way too jaggy and pixellated, and not clear enough anymore. Once you go 4k you don't go back.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Puddin posted:

Do you like spending hours tweaking settings, restarting and testing for stability?

Unironically love this poo poo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Has science gone too far?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Huh, I had no idea aios were considered bad, I always thought they were just a progression from air coolers that everybody moved onto these days. I'm still sporting a big fat heatsink+fan. What's so bad about aios. I thought they were quieter and cooler.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Seamonster posted:

Margins aside, what kind of volume do they really think is going to move? OEMs office boxes? No iGPU... Maybe in lower average income countries?

Half the world lives on just five dollars a day

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Gaming requirements are all on console cycles now. I went from a 2012 i5-3570k to a 3600x and I was still running games at high on 1920x1080 with a ~2015. GPU upgrade.

Gonna be fun when everyone starts complaining that their games aren't working properly on their lovely platter hdds

Ssds as standard baseline is long overdue

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That post is so wrong it's kinda crazy. The vast majority of PS4 pro 4k games scale from 1440p and upwards (which makes sense because it's a linear upgrade, PS4 has 1.84 tflops GPU, pro has 4.2)

Only 1 PS4 pro game is 1080p scaled to 4k and that's Overwatch because Blizzard didn't give a poo poo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I googled richard stallman and he looks exactly like how these goon posts make him sound

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So apparently they delayed 4000 series until next year cos the 3000 series are selling gangbusters

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Half a rabbit imo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I don't understand why they ignore the blinking 'you are too tall for this' lights that's literally just in front of it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

movax posted:

I feel like I’m reading a post from an audiophile forum...

Audiophiles - the second worst phile there is

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Try installing in safe mode, it's an old-school tip but it has a fairly high success rate even today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

So what about teleport/blink abilities in games? I don't feel that designing around turn limits on controllers is an accurate statement