Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

the last time i looked, the pro had a 5 year warranty and the evo was 2

It's actually 5 years on the EVO line and 10 on the Pro line. My 128gb 840 Pro only has 1340 days powered on so I guess if I don't like these reallocated sectors I can get an RMA sometime in the next 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fishmech posted:

Ultimately DEC Alpha was important because DEC was important, and they positioned it as the direct successor to their popular VAX families of processors.

This was true, but there was also that early NT was specifically designed to not favor any particular CPU design, and there was also the fact that x86 processors weren't all that fast themselves back in the day (but conversely, DEC Alpha hardware was hardly inexpensive, and IIRC DEC never brought Alphas down to their "low-end" systems in their heyday). And Alpha support was only in NT 3.1/3.5/4.0 and by 4.0 it was already looking sketchy for the architecture.

I guess you could consider it like, what if the Intel CPU lines currently stopped at the "Pentium" branded chips of today, everything i3 and up and all the Xeons were absent, and they were also a few generations back from current? That's kinda what putting up especially 486s or the early Pentiums against the DEC Alphas was like, with the Alphas taking the role of very high Intel chips of today.

I have a DEC Alpha Multia which was (at the time) their low end workstation CPU. I ran linux and Windows NT on it back in the 90s. The Alpha CPU in it wasn't very fast but it was sort of the lowest tier you could get that was still an Alpha. I think mine is 166mhz (haven't turned it on in 15 years or more due to dead multia syndrome but I'll repair it some day). I remember spending a lot of money on 32 MB of True Parity RAM for it. I got mine in 1996 and it was only two years later that they were bought by Compaq. They produced an Intel pentium based Multia as well, I guess because it was an attractive form factor (small pizza box kind of thing).

The cool part about it was that it was decently fast for a lot of stuff and you had a lot of OS flexibility, but the downside was any x86 binaries for NT would run slowly in FX/32 emulation but be "optimized" for alpha and build a library of alpha-optimized binaries it could refer to. There was even some software to share that library on a LAN in case you had a lot of Alphas running NT, I guess. They never got as fast as something compiled for the Alpha natively, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is there any risk of some sort of weird air pocket/bubble existing betwen the CPU and cooler if you manually spread the paste beforehand?

Yes, that's why you don't do that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Does this affect my 1.4ghz thunderbird with the screaming fan from 2000? I used that at some point to write an image to a compact flash card. It may not have been in this decade, but it's definitely mission critical!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I still have a couple of 486 laptops with colors screens and everything. Time to sell them to bitcoiners for "safe" coin storage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Meh, I just want my machine to be stable. If the overclock is stable for you, that is great, but I don't want to have unexplained errors while debugging some software or my machine crapping out when rendering stuff.

Even before I'd rather pay some more money for the peace of mind. YMMV ofcourse.

While I can understand the belief that an overclock might be unstable, most overclocks are tested to be stable at the speed they're running at. That's the point of doing tests at particular speeds and voltages, to determine if your OC is stable. Once stable it tends to remain that way for years. While I've heard of some older chips becoming less stable at high OCs over time, I haven't experienced that myself in anything from my celeron 300a that ran at 450mhz to my i5-4670K. Maybe it will happen some day but not so far.

For maximum stability you'd probably want a server chip that supports ECC memory. Memory errors are far more common than you'd think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ8s1JwtNas

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Windows is pretty solid when rendering and Visual Studio is also pretty stable. At least on my machines, anecdotal and all I know but it is what it is.

I had my 566 Celeron clocked to 850 and some other chips too. :) What would a TR1950X overclock to? I am running it stock now on a X399 Taichi with a Kraken X62. Just curious. I have 3200 MHZ memory from G-Skill.

Some articles suggest 4 or 4.1ghz with very extreme cooling. I suspect 3.8 or 3.9 would be more reasonable with an AIO cooler but I'm sure there will be variance from chip to chip as to how much voltage you'd need and how much power it would draw.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

on a related note, if I throw my stack of old stock heatsinks into the recycling, will they be able to do anything with them?

It depends on the recycling program. Some of them won't take random stuff that's not an obvious food container or marked with a plastic recycling number. I think stuff they can't handle just goes into the trash. An e-waste program will usually take random computer stuff and sort it for reselling or scrapping or whatever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Klyith posted:

wtf did the pump violently self-destruct or did someone actually shoot their pc?

It was the Gigabyte assassin killer the in the computer room with the heatsink.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'd get an 8 core if you're buying ryzen at all, but that is a good value. The 2700 is on ebay right now for $255 although who knows how long the deal will last if you choose to go for MORE CORES.
https://slickdeals.net/f/11648647-amd-ryzen-7-2700-8-core-3-2ghz-am4-desktop-processor-255-free-shipping

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Save $20 with new cringe-free packaging.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It seems silly to me to buy a 6 core when there's 8 cores but if you're going 6 core might as well get the one that goes to 11.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I used a VIA EPIA 933mhz mini-ITX system for a router for a couple of years. It still works but RIP m0n0wall.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm sure it's fine, I just keep all my bitcoins on there and use it to monitor my pacemaker and download torrents over public vpns.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Was it on one of the forbes contributor articles where they just let anyone post whatever? They're usually www.forbes.com/sites/someidiot/somecrap

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Been thinking of building a new computer with one of the Threadripper processors for a while now as a dedicated rendering PC. It'll be my first time building one with an AMD processor since Intel seems to have completely fallen behind based on just about everything I've read, though I still have a few questions that hopefully someone here could answer:
5) Does Windows 10 matter or can I get away with continuing to use 7?

Any help would be much appreciated. Seems more appropriate for this thread than the PC builder thread since the focus of the build is going to be the Threadripper and I want to be able to make the most of it.

I'm not a huge fan of 10 over 7, but when I put a ryzen system together I tried windows 7 with this for continued updates:
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

It really feels like it's an incredibly short term solution, however, especially for things like driver support that will be nonexistant for Windows 7 soon. I ended up getting a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (long term service branch) to cut down on the windows 10 bullshit. It doesn't come with Edge, it doesn't come with Cortana, and I unpinned all the tiles from the start menu. It's also a few versions behind on windows updates because its intended for systems that need to work long term while everyone's regular 10 and 10 Pro installs are meant to betatest new updates since MS got rid of their QA department. The only issue is that LTSB is really only sold to enterprises with volume licensing agreements. I got a key on ebay for $5 since it's just my home gaming PC. My work laptop has regular 10 Pro.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

exquisite tea posted:

Are the stock coolers that come with the Ryzen 2700/x decent enough on their own without needing an aftermarket solution, assuming I'm not overclocking right away?

Yeah, although like most stock coolers it will be a little louder and not cool as well as a decent third party cooler, but they wouldn't ship them without a capable cooler. I put a big Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B on my R7 1700 and it seems to be very good so far although I'm overclocking a little.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sininu posted:

Uhh, I don't like the sound of that rumor/news. Won't those tiny fans be easily audible?

The old ones weren't usually too bad, but I'm sure on the new ones there'll be an easy replacement you can put a noctua on before too long if it's a problem. When I had a chipset fan fail on the last gigabyte board I'll ever buy I was able to replace it with a big heatsink that kept it passively cooled.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kerbtree posted:

So, what's the current feel on 6 Vs 8 core for a budget-limited New build? Are game engines likely to hit 8 threads in the next few years, or should I throw the difference into a spec bump for other parts?

For budget builds the part picking thread's been suggesting 6 core amd mostly due to them running a little bit cooler. I use my PC for everything though so I went with an R7-1700 8 core when it was on sale as the second gen stuff came out. Since they don't keep prices artificially high on older CPUs like Intel, it's an option.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alpha Mayo posted:

If it means no more LEDs I am fine with this.

Though it probably means Bad CGI Elf LED Titties, like the headlight scene in dumb and dumber.

Can't wait for my video card heatsink to have an OLED screen showing fantasy erotica. Now that I've said it, someone's going to start a custom PC business with the idea.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I wanna build something super small and as cheap as possible with maybe some RGB in the ram/cpu cooler, maybe fans. I was looking at the 3400G but it seems like it’s a poor value compared to a 3600+any GPU. One review I read said that a 2600+RX 570 nearly doubled the performance for slightly more than the APU.

But it’s so small! It could fit into something like an Inwin Chopin. But it feels like a dead end.

If you've got a use for a lower power machine just do it. Maybe a HTPC or something? I wouldn't buy one for a desktop unless you were severely budget constrained or if it was a PC for a parent who just browses the web or whatever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, where does anyone find faster than 2666? It's still all I can find, so nothing really changed.
These are all I can find via pcpartpicker but they seem to be in stock:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MTsmP6/crucial-32-gb-1-x-32-gb-registered-ddr4-3200-memory-ct32g4rfd432a
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hym323/crucial-16-gb-1-x-16-gb-registered-ddr4-3200-memory-ct16g4rfd832a

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those are RDIMMs not UDIMMs. That's the crucial difference. Fast UDIMMs seem non-existent.

Oh sorry, misread your original post. Yeah, I can't find any either. Maybe when the base ram speed of the next chipset supports it they'll appear.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Budzilla posted:

I still have my sticks of memory from my 939 Athlon x2 4200 system. They were pretty sweet.

Mine were OCZ with their own heatpipes. Fast but stupid.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pollyanna posted:

Same thing with the GPU. Doesn’t get detected by my TV’s HDMI either. poo poo, I think I really boned this.

The only real thing I did was remove the fan and heatsink on the CPU, then put it back on. Would that have been enough to somehow break it?

Probably not? Were you just putting on new thermal paste? The motherboard won't have video out unless you're using an APU so that's not an indication of anything. Did you dislodge the CPU power cable or get the GPU loose in its slot? I'd probably reseat everything, try different ram slots, etc, and then do a CMOS wipe. If it doesn't come back up, then I'd suspect the motherboard died randomly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think my tube of arctic silver II can legally drink now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is it really true that the 11th gen Intel chips are 11% faster than the equivalent AMD chips?

That's what PC part picker is saying but I'm not so sure I believe that. I know that a lot of youtubers were shilling the Ryzen chips super hard and I'm sure there was a lot of FUD there but I still feel like every new intel machine I've used in the past year has been incredibly slow, like 2012 slow.

It depends what you mean by faster. They can usually get higher clock speeds but that doesn't always mean that every task runs faster and you're usually talking about overclocking. That can also mean that one core might be fast and the others not as fast. They also (generally) generate more heat since they're on a larger process. AMD CPUs tend to get you more for your dollar but the 10th gen and 11th gen intel do have a few comparable CPUs. In general any PC should feel fast as long as it has a SSD for the system drive. If something feels slow there's probably something wrong like it's got a hard disk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I just got a R7 5800X to replace the R7 1700 because I need more single core performance. I figure it'll last me until DDR5 is more mature and not $1000 for 32 GB while also being out of stock. Doesn't feel great to buy older stuff (I mean it's current, I just expect to see 6000 series in 6 months now that I've bought 5000), but it was relatively cheap. The R7 1700 was kind of a sidegrade to my haswell i5-4670K since the single core was about the same or worse (with OCing on both), but the extra cores have been nice.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 24, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This was my Sunday morning, 2 hour power outage finally did in my 11 year old 500W Antec Earthwatts buddy. Luckily I had a spare laying around, modular really is better!

Speaking of new kit, I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and using the newegg system builder or getting a prebuilt - is the 5600X still the way to go for light gaming/occasional audio remixing?

Generally yes. The 5800X is becoming more reasonable when you're talking about a new build since its price has come down a bit at some vendors, all of the 5X00 series are around a year old, and it may provide a little more longevity (maybe?) in 5+ years. It's hard to say for certain that far out since while intel's efficiency/performance cores thing is new it seems good, and DDR5 isn't a huge step up now we can only see the initial offerings and it will get a lot faster and cheaper in a few years. That said, right now, most current games and software run similarly on the 5600X vs 5800X and it's mostly us heavy multitaskers that are going 8 cores or more.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

drat, I just got a 5800X in November. I don't need the 5800X3D but I do play poorly optimized FPSes so it's tempting.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm still thinking of getting a 5800x3D, but the price cuts on the 5950 have made me question it just a bit. Going to 8 cores feels sufficient, and the only thing I really need horsepower for is games, but the 5950 looks tempting at these discounts. I feel like a 16 core is going to be even harder to cool than the apparently hot 5800x3D, though - does that sound right?

Yeah, I'd say a move from another 6 or 8 core to a 5800X3D isn't a bad idea if you can afford it, but a 5950 is going to be a whole evaluation of if your cooling, power supply, and use case has it make sense. In most cases the 5800X3D is going to be a more sensible chip. I'm slightly tempted to swap my 5800X for one but I've only had it 6 months and so far it's been fine for what I do.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gigabyte is one of those companies that will change up hardware dramatically between revisions. I stopped buying their stuff when a plugging a camera into a USB port killed an entire motherboard in '06 or something, but it seems like they've got drastically varying quality between models and shady practices when doing revisions of products. I can't straight up suggest for people not to buy their stuff since plenty of it is good, but they're definitely on my personal list to not buy from.

edit: you might see if there's wifi drivers available on the mediatek site if you can find the right chipset.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

redeyes posted:

Here.. I make videos sometimes when im really mad.

The 120mm fans have gaps around them for 140s, meaning they draw air from inside the case and the front panel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BARK5jHasMU

God drat, the balls of the builder to put that hsf on a 5950X.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kaddish posted:

A bit of a long shot here but I'd like to either rent someone's Ryzen 3x00, doesn't matter which, OR have someone flash an x570 for me. I have a TUF x570 that I bought around the time the 5x00 came out and I suspect it shipped with an older bios. I'd be more comfortable shipping my mobo to someone than renting the CPU honestly but it's more work.

Anyway, please PM me and we can talk details, thanks!

Edit - I should also mention that I'm in the US.

In that situation I'd consider "renting" one from amazon prime. I don't have any ryzen's not in socket doing their job right now, unfortunately.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AntOnline has the 5800X3D for $300 also:
https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Computers/Electronic_Components/Microprocessors/1446233

I'm trying really hard not to buy one but my reasons for doing it keep adding up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Toalpaz posted:

This choice of motherboard actually matter between manufacturers? My experience is with motherboards have almost always been very good. I've never had any issues with any of them so you know I don't know why. I'm spending between 50 to $100 more depending on the different classifications.

Also ignoring the fact that the chipset is usually the same, it's okay if I'm just paying for looks, but is that obviously the answer?

I'd say that they're largely the same if the chipset is the same. The main differences these days end up being in power delivery quality but it seems like it's improved in recent years (mostly since reviewers have been looking at it and chips have been boosting more out of the box). I usually shop by reviews and how hard RMAs will be, since I've had to return bad motherboards more than almost any other component. Granted, that's still been only a few times. I had a bad issue with a gigabyte board in the bad capacitor era (2005ish) so I have avoided them since but I have motherboards from ASUS, MSI, ASRock for desktop and they're all mostly the same.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I decided the fomo was real and picked up a 5800X3D at $309. I have a 5800X so it won't be a huge upgrade, but it's not a waste since I can put that in my other AM4 board which has a 1700X. The first gen ryzens aren't included in Windows 11 support because windows 11 support is arbitrary. The 1700X may end up as a VM server when I upgrade those.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cygni posted:

If you ever wanted to, it's really easy to install Win11 on "unsupported" CPUs, especially if you are the type of person who knows what a VM server is. Source, I use a 1700 as a VM server/testbed with win11 :v:

But I'm also the sort of freak that tested the limits of Win11 by installing it on first gen Bulldozer and even Llano, so.

Yeah, I've been testing 11 on a haswell machine, so I'm aware. I just figure I'll end up doing some possible future proofing for the potential issues MS will cause after Windows 10 support ends in October of 2025. My current VM servers are all on VMWare ESXi; one's an FX8300, and I have two LGA1366 supermicro boards with dual 6 core xeons. Those are roughly like a first gen core i7 or something, though, so not that great. That's all pretty old stuff, though, so the 1700X might end up replacing one of them eventually. So far the hardware has been holding up on all of them since 2015-2016, although I think there's one fan going bad and a disk started going bad a little while ago that I'm about to swap out for an SSD. None of these VM servers do a lot of heavy lifting.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ChickenWing posted:

I'd read that there were hardware instructions that had to be done at a software level if you had one of those gen chips (I can't remember the exact nomenclature but it had something to do with security) which is why gen 1 ryzens weren't "officially" supported - they work, but their performance was garbage. Did I misinterpret or was that a weird edge case that's unlikely to come up.

It really is arbitrary afaik, many 6th and 7th gen intel CPUs/motherboard chipsets support the hardware features that Windows 11 wants but are excluded from their list of supported CPUs. My guess is that unsupported CPUs will be able to run it until MS does something, sometime, and then we'll see what happens. Doing small business IT the only upside is that some companies have been clinging to 3rd and 4th gen intel desktops with hard drives and I've let them all know they'll need to upgrade those between now and 2025 which helps (forces) them to plan for upgrades. SSDs will probably be more noticeable improvements to their day to day Word/Excel/Edge usage than the CPUs, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hobbesmaster posted:

4x8 and 2x16 should be roughly equivalent. Just don’t do 4x16.

3600CL16 should be fine on zen3 with the decent modules like micron e.

I had good luck with going from 2x16 to 4x16 on my ASUS B550 tuf gaming board. I was definitely concerned but with DOCP set it's maintaining the 3600 M/T and CL16 with 1T. I had 4x8 on my old haswell system and it dropped to 2T but it was also all DDR3-1600 so whatever.