Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't understand why the niche of "absolutely poo poo prebuilts" continues to exist, I'm sure that Dell / HP / Lenovo are fully capable of putting an RTX 3090 and 5950X into a box for $4,000, and doing a much better job if it than this.

I feel like I have the wrong side-hustle. That's like, what, a minimum $1k profit for maybe a couple hours of work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

If I’m looking to pick up a 7950X3D when one is available (lol), are odds good it would slot into an AM5? Would probably be doing ASRock or ASUS.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Would going from a 5600X to a 5800X3D be a worthwhile upgrade? I play a lot of paradox games and Factorio and similar stuff

From everything I've read, the cache makes a big difference in exactly those use cases.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

So it looks like the new x3Ds are being released February 14th.

I haven't tried to buy a CPU day-of since 2018. About what time of day do they usually appear? Is this a stroke of midnight deal or sometime-that-day?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

X3D availability announced, for realsies this time. Probably. Maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLxH9ivPWUI&t=1s

February 28th for 7950x3d and 7900x3d. 7800x3d in April. 699/599/449 USD, respectively.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Has there been an official price cut on the 7950X non 3d? Its MSRP is still $699 also, right?

Nothing official that I've seen, but that could change in the next couple weeks.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m going to view this as confirmation that the 7800x3d’s gaming performance makes the other two look pointless.

So, I'm in a weird spot - a lot of my gaming time has to do with compiling/playing huge mod lists with games. I also dick around with some other stuff on occasion that sees benefit from lots of parallel threads on the same machine where I game. I have Processlasso, and can probably use that to keep games that benefit from the 3d cache in the right sandbox (assuming that they aren't whitelisted properly in the first place).

While neither use case is something I think is incredibly widespread, it probably exists at some level, though certainly not enough to make releasing all the new x3d chips at once just as profitable as pushing the lowest-margin one back by a month.

What I'm mostly perplexed by is the existence of the 7900x3d.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

I have an AsRock B650E Riptide and 6000mhz RAM, will report when I slap a 7950x3D in it.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

7950x3d pops up on AMD store, I put it in cart, go to purchase, CC company says, "Hey this looks weird", I tell them it's legit, by the time I go back to it it's out of stock. RIP.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Lockback posted:

CC company being like "The 7800x3D is out in like 5 weeks, it's weird you'd buy this now".

CC company doesn't appreciate my addiction to both Wabbajack lists and Stellaris. I am both a weird niche user and an idiot with too much money, but only the former applies in this case I think.

Got an order in on Newegg. Thanks to whichever Goon recommended the Falcodrin community on Discord - that's how I grabbed it.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Sweet! Are these things shipping immediately or still a ways out?

Packaging now, expected March 2nd, so....now, it appears!

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Trip report with 7950X3D.

Total changeout in case, cooler, everything except for the GPU (RTX 3080) and the NVME drives. Clean Windows 11 install.

Previously:
Corsair 800D
i9900k
AsRock z390 Taichi ultimate
Corsair H150i Pro AIO
32 gigabytes Corsair DDR4 16-18-18-36 3200mhz RAM

Now:
Fractal Torrent
7950X3D
AsRock B650e Riptide Wifi
Icegiant Prosiphon Elite
64 gigabytes G.Skill Trident Z5 36-36-36-96 6000mhz RAM

My typical usecase is extremely modded Skyrim, Total Warhammer 3, and Stellaris. Current takeaways:

1.) Won't break 67C in Prime95.
2.) Uplift of ~30fps (?!?!?!?!) in Skyrim [Note - one of the mods allows for over 60 fps without breaking the physics, and another one allows for use of DLSS and RTGI]
3.) Uplift of ~20fps in Total Warhammer 3 benchmarks.
4.) Have not tested Stellaris yet.

Honestly did not expect this dramatic of an uplift in anything but late-game Stellaris, which is the main reason I upgraded. Super pleasantly surprised.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

Late game Stellaris please. Would be cool if you could let it run for a few years on each CCD.
Thx for reporting mate o7

Sure, might be a bit tho - have to reinstall Irony and get my mod load order resorted, then actually play ti late game. Which will be more difficult because I am also at home with a 3 month old right now!

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Not late game, but starting out heavily modded Stellaris (including some performance enhancing mods) goes about a month a second at highest time tick on my setup.

Edit: That's on a 1000 star galaxy.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 10, 2023

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Update on heavily modded Stellaris on 7950X3d: by 2463 I'm at 30 seconds per month or so.

(heavily modded includes Gigastructures, ACOT, AOT, UI overhauls, bunch of other stuff)

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What was your CPU before upgrading, and how fast was it then?

9900k - by now it would usually be about 60 seconds for a month (guestimation, but definitely less pleasant and playable - I'd usually hit this speed at around 2350/2375, and then into the 2400s it would be really struggling)

hobbesmaster posted:

How many stars?

I assume the blokkats haven’t show up to garbage colllect.

1000, no blokkats yet. Have endgame set for 2500.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Have not tested this yet, but it's pretty interesting looking: https://github.com/saturnsky/saturn_affinity_python

Found it on the Stellaris reddit while trying to find out what the 3.7 "improvements on some modern CPUs" update was all about.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Sometimes it’s not even just the games themselves, but the introduction of towering mod lists.

I got a shocking boost in extremely modded Skyrim by throwing 3d cache at it.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

In my day we lubed up an abacus

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

I have a 7950x3D on a Prosiphon Elite in a Fractal Torrent case, and I can't make it break 70C in Prime95.

Before the new BIOS revisions it was stable with a -20mv offset, but after it started throwing errors in OCCT, so I had to back off on that.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

I tried to update my ASRock PG Riptide to the new AGESA. It went very poorly.

-It didn't apply the EXPO profile to my RAM - when I selected the profile, I would restart and it would be running at 3600 instead of 6000. Timings were correct, speed was not.
-I tried to force the issue by setting the speed manually.
-RIP. No post.
-A lot of faffing about while I cleared the CMOS and forgot that one of my USB allows for flashback and another one doesn't, even though they're both formatted properly. Decide to roll back to 1.18, which is when memory OC definitely worked.
-Something goes wrong with my RTX 3080. Fans spin, but it doesn't light up and it doesn't output. I take it out and use a 1050ti spare I have lying around. Works fine (with a little weird delay). Put 3080 back in. Works.
-LAN is gone. I have no idea what could have happened here. Ethernet LED doesn't light. Wireless works fine. Windows straight up doesn't see the adapter. Device Manager says, "What ethernet adapter?" I'm pretty sure it's on in BIOS. I attempt to reinstall drivers. No dice. Wifi works fine.

I have a pcie add-in card on the way in case I blew the LAN port somehow. I told my wife I was going to give up on computer touching and take up sheep-herding in Scotland, until she reminded me that it would just be more poop to clean up.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 12, 2023

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

I'd like to emphasize that, for me 1.) cpu+mobo+ram still work, 2.)they've made a massive impact on my gaming, 3.) maybe the LAN will come back someday!

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

I’m running 4x16 at 6000 right now on AM5, though for one or two BIOS versions it was touch and go. Just using the EXPO profile, Asrock riptide B650e.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

I wish mGPU had caught on beyond benchmarking utilities.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Rexxed posted:

The nice thing about old CPU coolers is you can put them on the back of big COB leds for DIY blinding devices.

Just use an ice pick like God intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

We're gonna see "AI" on everything the way we used to see "smart" and "cloud" on everything, eventually marketing will find another word to strip of all meaning

This has already happened.