Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really, REALLY hope that at least one of the new Ryzen ThinkPads will have dual channel memory configs available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NewFatMike posted:

The E485 and E585 were just listed - I haven't looked into the older ones they're based off of to see if they have an open DIM.

Those are the two models I'm keeping an eye on.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Measly Twerp posted:

and it's highly likely that KVM would have the exact same problem.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. KVM is actively being developed and as others have mentioned tend to find/fix/workaround a number of oddities within running VMs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....have we forgotten about the KVM/NPT bug with the unimplemented stubs bug that persisted for over a decade and was ONLY just squashed last year?

That was a pretty hilarious happening in general ;).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deuce posted:

I want 16 cores that all run at 5.0ghz though.

No. A hundred cores.

Man I want more TR. My next build is almost definitely going to be a threadripper line.

This is me with my TR 1950x build

:circlefap: :flashfap: :circlefap:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

So why did you post here

EDIT: In more relevant news, AMD is going to release their patches soon.

To get a row out of you I guess.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I have no idea, I never used the game mode, and just used it. Never really a problem with performance to be honest. I saw the HPET stuff later, but Linux uses the TSC clock and I run Windows in a VM.

Yes, that's also what I got out of it, if you want to schedule your threads NUMA aware you need call a specific API.

I've found (personal benchmarks, and other sites) that to get the best gaming performance from TR is to enable SMT and set memory to Local (NUMA?). Game mode by itself leaves some performance on the table in modern games. You do lose some performance in highly threaded applications (rendering, hashing, etc).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FaustianQ posted:

Actually, is there enough power in a 2990X to render Crysis without a GPU? To do it all in software?

It's possible. The software renderer for Unreal with the 3DNOW/SSE extensions was pretty good back in the day.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:goleft:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Epyc in ways I cannot even comprehend yet.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Have you enable the XMP Profile?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

x86 CPUs: The Intel/AMD Thread

It's been discussed before--and if memory serves me right--with positive responses. Nobody pulled the trigger.

If there are no serious objections, at 00:00 UTC Sunday 12 August 2018 (8 PM Saturday EST), AMD will acquire Intel (or something similarly improbable and official sounding) and I'll petition a mod to close the separate CPU threads.

Only if the thread is moved to and stays in the POS.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Good price for a decent laptop.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Whale Cancer posted:

Yes, it's primarily a gaming machine. I was just curious because corsair LPX 3200 is on the msi b450 tomahawks QVL list as able to run at 3200mhz, but nobody can seem to get it to that point. Ram for reference.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236214&cm_re=CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16-_-20-236-214-_-Product

I've been running the following RAM with 0 problems day 1.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

I have a 1700, a 2700x and a 1950x Threadripper all running that memory with 0 problems. Set XMP profile, save, reboot, done.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SPOOKCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm ordering this set at the weekend. Can you post a memory bandwidth score for the 1950x please?

I can't right now. That system died a couple of days ago and I'm in the process of RMAing the board. That's basically the reason I have a 2700x in the place

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oh no!

I'm going to run it with a 2700x. I hope this board isn't total poo poo.

Which board did you get?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Asrock x470 itx.

I have two Asrock boards. The Fatality x370 Pro Gaming and the X470 Master SLI. Both have been rock solid. Asrock ITX boards are known for being really bad rear end too so I wouldn't worry.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lostleaf posted:

Does AMD have good linux support specifically for hevc encoding and decoding acceleration? As in not having to compile and load kernel modules.

It's Linux. So it'll range anywhere from just working, to needing a daily sacrifice.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think he was being overly harsh (if at all) with his comment.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I just got a "cheap" deal on 2 * 8GB sticks of Flare X, cas 14. On eBay UK.

I love this RAM.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Rome wasn't built on one die.

:emptyquote:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Got no response from PC parts thread, so crossposting here:

Adding 16GB of DDR4-3200 RAM matched to both boards memory QVL. I won't be using a discrete GPU; the lone PCIe x16 slot will be used for an LSI SAS controller. The iGPU will be used for some light gaming at 1440x900 resolution. Doing a bit more research, how important are heatsinks over the power delivery components on the board? Neither board has heatsinks over the SoC MOSFETs, so if I plan on doing a mild OC to the iGPU, should I be looking at other motherboards? Overclocking aside, does it really matter which board I get between the two options above, or does it just come down to layout and I/O?

You won't be pushing the VRMs very hard so I wouldn't worry about it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

For a storage server, I'd personally look into one of the ECC supporting asrock motherboards and go with that. It'll cost a bit more though, probably, ECC is expensive.

As someone with over 80TB in a file server I haven't, and don't use ECC memory. Over a decade of high capacity storage and all my Linux ISOs are fine. I'm using ZFS mind you so that probably helps.

exquisite tea posted:

Would there be a reason why I can’t get the BIOS to display my 2700x OC speed at startup? I’m on an MSI Gaming Plus x470 with XAMP enabled and set to Auto. RAM displays 3000mhz on startup as it should. Manually overclocking the chip will make it display the selected speed, and if I leave it on Auto my software monitors will show clock speeds between 4.0-4.2k MHz as you’d expect once I’m in Windows. I have the latest BIOS revision installed. I don’t know, maybe I’m overthinking this?

You probably are. What does Ryzen Master show?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Ryzen Master installed that profile. More than likely it was the AMD chipset drivers.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Only reason I mention it is that I JUST re-installed windows and skipped the AMD chipset drivers this time but have Ryzen Master installed and I only see the regular Windows balanced power option.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Munkeymon posted:

:same: but I have a year and ~two month old windows install and there's no Ryzen profile. I wonder if the platform drivers do anything useful

That was my thought as well and why I didn't install the chipset drivers. I have no unidentified devices in Device Manager and nothing has exploded yet.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's not exactly what they were saying/getting at. It's not a function of the motherboard but the CPU.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheJeffers posted:

If AMD ever brings Precision Boost Overdrive down to X470/B450, maybe (it's a second-gen Threadripper exclusive at the moment). AMD still considers Precision Boost Overdrive to be an overclock, but power limits are one of the things it lets you toy with.

Huh? My 2700x on an Asrock x470 SLI Master board has an option to enable PBO and it works (CPU hits 4.4/4.5 given enough thermal headroom). Isn't this the same thing? Even Ryzen Master shows PBO when this BIOS option is enabled.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

What kind of cooling you have to get 4.4-4.5 GHz?

Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 @ max. There are a bunch of other settings in the BIOS that seem to allow for specifying TDP and Max Amps that I haven't played with. That being said the CPU is hitting 1.55v when hitting 4.4/4.5. Typically on an all core load/gaming I'm seeing between 4.2 and 4.3 GHz.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Been trying to figure out if 2700x under full load at 69C is too hot, or acceptable. I can push it a little lower if I crank the cooling system to max.

Artificial full load via something like Prime95? Or an actual all core workload? For the former 69 is probably OK, for the later it's probably on the border of being OK.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Like, running folding@home on max.

Pretty sure the FAH client supports AVX so that's pretty normal temperature wise.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

karoshi posted:

I call bullshit. No business person would copy the contents of a perfectly good excel file to the main email body. Case closed.

What if I use PROC PRINT and ODS to display SAS data sets directly into an email?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deuce posted:

48c/96t at 5.0ghz? Yeah I’m not holding my breath

Maybe with phase change cooling? :haw:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"Better for gaming" is a mile wide goal post. Way too many factors come into play. Like what resolution, what games, are you a "Pro Gamer", etc. I've been insanely happy with my Ryzen purchases this year. Replaced an Old Phenom II and a 3770k with a Ryzen 1700x/2700x and a Threadripper 1950x.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

I recently built a 2700X build for my younger brother, and other than updating the bios and installing the chipset drivers, I didn't mess with cpu settings, the attraction of the 2700X being it's pretty much max'd out out-of-the-box. (of course I corrected the ram speed)

vv Hm, I'm pretty sure I was seeing 4050MHz all-core with the newest BIOS updates and the "AMD Balanced" or whatever it's called power profile from the newest chipset drivers, but I don't have the machine in front of me to confirm

Don't use that power profile anymore. The Microsoft balanced one is the one to use.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

ok google how do i get rid of an erection at work

Do you have one of those single, lockable bathrooms somewhere and a mobile phone? :q:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As a reminder most motherboards can and will change timings on boot up if something fails. Even if you have all the settings dialed in.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Munkeymon posted:

Those things are... suspiciously inexpensive. I'm guessing you'd never get an upgrade off of the already hilariously out of date OS they ship, but that battery life has to be someone's niche demand.

It might have something to do with the 13,000 mAh battery in there. That is a beastly battery.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

That being said I also have a windowless case

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
WTF is this dumb nerd fight about anyway? ?:shobon:?