Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I'm still using a delta fan for servers on my CPU because I'm too lazy to pull it, clean it and put on a replacement. Fuckin banshee when I'm rendering in Blender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

ECC required for ZFS smells like bullshit and cargo cult behavior to me.

Will ZFS and non-ECC RAM kill your data? posted:

Matthew Ahrens, one of the cofounders of ZFS at Sun Microsystems and current ZFS developer at Delphix. In the comments to one of my filesystem articles on Ars Technica, Matthew said “There’s nothing special about ZFS that requires/encourages the use of ECC RAM more so than any other filesystem.”

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I thought Intel's prices were based on what the market would bear rather than actual cost to produce?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only caveats are that I'd really like to see the segfault bug squashed before relying on it, especially under Linux/BSD, and they're kinda expensive compared to what you can white-box by yourself.

I've read that it's fixed with week 25 and higher CPUs, is this true?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, AMD added some additional testing that catches the worst of the bunch (chips with poor ASIC quality that segfault almost immediately) and this has reduced the incidence rate, but there are still some new-production chips that have the issue. There are plenty of people in the AMD community thread or on Reddit with 1726 or 1733 chips that segfault (I've seen all combination of 1726, 1733, SUS, and PGT).

Dang, I RMA'd a week 15 untested so I wouldn't have to deal with cleaning up thermal paste and had read they were hand testing the replacement(old info now I guess). At least they made the RMA super easy, approved it in a day and I should hopefully be getting a tracking number for the new one soon.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

systemd is a scourge and needs to be purged from the Linux ecosystem with maximum prejudice.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I got my replacement Ryzen from AMD today, week 39 processor. I can confirm they didn't test it since both seals are unbroken. Also, they just sent another full retail CPU with the Wraith Spire, even though they told me to just ship back the CPU without the cooler. So now I have an extra cooler I guess.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

FaustianQ posted:

Let's see, 99$ for R3 2200G, ~70$ for a board, 110$ for 3200 DDR4/8GB, 30$ for a case, 110$ SSD+HDD, 35$ for good CPU cooler, 35$ PSU.

R3 comes with a cooler so you can knock off $35, unless you don't like the AMD one for some reason.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Antec Gaming Series One is alright, though I wish it had some 2.5" bays. Just built a machine for work with one. You can easily route all your cables behind the motherboard for a nice clean setup, plenty of places for zip ties to lock stuff down. The Corsair Carbide is nice if you just want a desktop monolith(I use this one at home) with the same behind the motherboard management. They always show off the windowed one but you can get a solid one too.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Llamadeus posted:

Out of the current windowless cases, I like this one for being even sleeker than Fractal's cases: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-quiet-400q-compact-mid-tower-case-cc-9011100-ww

$20 cheaper too. This is the one I was talking about above.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I still haven't figured out how to take off the front of my 400Q, so I can see breaking clips being a thing with that one.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Klyith posted:

IIRC the first time I got it off I had to put my knee on the top of the case to kinda brace it, but after that it goes easier.

Thanks for the tip. I'm switching out a cooler in a week or two and going to give it a thorough clean, so that will definitely help.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

incoherent posted:

Guys my new 0 day just requires physical access to the machine and bios rw. Make the check out to cash plz.

Yeah well all my zero day requires is an administrator login. Just run cellphone.exe as Administrator. Buttcoins only, please.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Fanboys are weird as fuuuuuuuuck.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Theris posted:

THE ALGORITHM thinks I'd be super into alt-right/MRA/gamergate dudes talking into a webcam in front of their anime figurine collection for an hour, presumably because I watch a lot of nerd poo poo. I always do the "not interested in this channel" thing but it never stops.

If you've watched poo poo even ironically or whatever, delete it from your watch history. This seems to help for me when I start getting bad suggestions because I went on a dumb binge.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

These are people that sold hats with bluetooth speakers in them for $150, BoM is probably :10bux: or less at scale. They're basically a marketing company leveraging the Atari name. So yeah, they're gonna cheap the gently caress out on it for maximum profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hacked account. Don't even think they had access to the Paypal account so I don't know what the end goal was.