Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'd estimate that I spent ~$100 extra on good RAM (and because I wanted a lot of RAM) and I had to buy a cooler because I got an X and I'm pretty sure I'm still way ahead price/performance-wise over what I was looking at with a chipzilla-based system.

oh and in case anyone cares, no, I haven't had a chance to run the ryzen-killer thing yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Risky Bisquick posted:

But do you want to know? It is schrodinger's cat.

I want it to be stable so have to know whether I have a bad part or need more cooling. It's probably the cooling unless somehow Linux just deals that much better with whatever that error is than Windows does, but it sounds like ryzen-killer is less guesswork-based than 'buy krakken and hope'.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

HP just announced this thing yesterday http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations-x2/index.html

I'd buy one if I was in the market for a new laptop, but I've also been saying that about the Surface Book since it came out

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Board: ASUS Prime x370-pro
CPU: 1700X

drat this board still suffers from teething troubles. The CPU core boost function causes system to crap out randomly, and I have to take special care to disable it in the BIOS after each update. It's not the processor, I can manually clock it up by several hundred megaherz and the system will be rock solid, but if the board tries to do something funny with the CPU frequency on the fly, I get random and unpredictable BSODs.

I had hoped that ASUS at least would have its poo poo together with the first-gen parts, but that seems not to have been the case. The problem remains - board firmware updates only maintain the bug.

I don't think I disabled core boost and I'm not having random BSODs (same board, but with a 1500X)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

If you don't like wasting time setting up everything after a Windows install, make a disk image just after you set everything up and you can restore from that. Then you update Windows and just update things as you use them later - feels like a lot less of a slog than a fresh install IME

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

feedmegin posted:

I find that very hard to believe, but if so it's ridiculous. Using half the computer's power just for DRM?

It's a Ubisoft game, so it's pretty believable

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

repiv posted:

That's how most (somewhat) effective DRM systems work, although the VM is often a custom design rather than based on x86. The trick is to only VM-ify parts of the code that aren't in the hot path so performance doesn't go to poo poo.

Doom 2016, MGS5, Mad Max, etc all used VM protection and ran fine because the developers weren't dumbasses and only wrapped performance insensitive code.

According to people on Twitter stepping through the assembly, it goes to the VM every time the character moves, so NBD I'm sure.

E: the VMs plural because I guess there are two layers of it and one(?) is 'fractional' so it spawns a bunch of them... somehow? IDK how something like that would work at all unless what they're seeing is two VM layers per thread

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 1, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Prescription Combs posted:

HP has their Raven Ridge Envy x360 up for ordering now. http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1

I assume these don't have any HBM and rely on system RAM for the GPU?

quote:

AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Quad-Cor

:allears:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Xae posted:

I would be really surprised if Intel tried that poo poo again.

They almost got chopped up and sold for parts after the Anti-Trust lawsuits last time they tried in the early 2000s.

Then again, they were incredibly brazen about it last time and it kinda worked so who knows.

They have a few years before anyone outside Europe will care to enforce antitrust laws.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

As in you have to flash the board with a different CPU first?

feedmegin posted:

...you mean like /dev/mem?

Is that user-writeable by default?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

feedmegin posted:

If you're root? Yes.

Right, I thought Paul's original example was making the BIOS user-writeable by non-root users, but I may have misunderstood.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Combat Pretzel posted:

Whenever I bring up async IF elsewhere, I often enough get countered by people saying that AMD wouldn't do it because it requires additional buffering that'd cause latency. Well, given the bus width and frequency mismatchs between RAM and IF, aren't there already buffers, anyway?

My understanding is that the issue is that they're linked (with some multiplier), not mismatched.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Risky Bisquick posted:

If this bug is what it takes to get AMD back to the perf crown with zen+ I’m going to laugh

Can't wait for gamers to try to patch it out and either get owned by exploits or gently caress up their systems constantly.

NewFatMike posted:

hire some driver talent I guess.

2018: the year of the actually good Radeon driver

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Paul MaudDib posted:

That seems like an obvious enough fix that I'm unclear on why they didn't come up with this idea sometime in the previous 7 months, rather than the day the vuln went public. Did they just not tell those researchers about it or something?

Imagine what would happen if suddenly all major chip vendors had gone around telling compiler vendors "hey, sprinkle mfence ops liberally around any array traversals and don't ask why"

Did you imagine people would ask why and put a bunch of effort into figuring out why? Because that's what would happen.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's what NDAs are for. Plenty of people outside Intel and AMD knew about this vuln and they managed to keep it under wraps for 7 months.

Hmm, fair.

You'd still want to update the compilers ASAP (meaning 6 months ago) because of the enormous lag time between updating a compiler and seeing the results out in the world and I bet someone would notice either the additional code in open sourced compilers or the different instruction output and, presumably, performance.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Llamadeus posted:

Just announced! Naturally, it's Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=3888

Before I clicked on that I figured the socket would take up about 1/3 of the board and I was not too wrong

SlayVus posted:

4 DIMM slots, 8 SATA slots, 3 m.2 slots and 1 u.2, 3 front USB headers, 3 PCI-e 16x slots, dual Intel Gigabit, dual band WiFi, at least 8 power phases.

Power phases go all the way up to 11 https://techreport.com/news/33040/asrock-x399m-taichi-squishes-threadripper-into-microatx

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Rexxed posted:

I still have a couple of 486 laptops with colors screens and everything. Time to sell them to bitcoiners for "safe" coin storage.

No USB ports to epoxy? It's basically a hardware wallet!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD actually does frequency binning, which is why you have a pretty tight range of overclock expectations per SKU with relatively few outliers and out of those, they seem to be restricted to utter comedy like an 8 core R3 1300x

How does Intel do it if not by frequency?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Efficiency. Everything we get on desktop that's below LGA 2066 are leaky runt bins that can't be used for laptops. There's no frequency binning being done at all and the K parts are actually incredibly leaky (which turns out to be better OC the more powerful your cooling solution is), which is why when BCLK overclocking was a thing some people found that their i5-6400s clocked better than some 6700ks, which is exactly why Intel stopped it again.

The K parts are the absolute worst failure state of their binning strategy and it's hilarious that it's at a markup.

Huh! Thanks. That makes a lot of things about overclockability make sense that previously didn't.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Where does der8auer get the money to do all this poo poo from? Making turbonerdy videos about the minutiae of CPU packaging can't be that lucrative.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Hey if my 16 Core becomes a 32 Core you won't hear me complain. :) Vray and Unity like them some cores.

Are there any Epyc workstation boards yet?

You mean like https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11SSL-i.cfm ? e: found on https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/AMD_SP3.cfm?pg=MOBO where they also list a dual socket if you can swing an E-ATX and have, I'm guessing, ~$20k to burn

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 26, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

SamDabbers posted:

I got an R7 1700 at launch and paid $110 for 16GB (2x8GB) of DDR4-2933, which I thought was expensive at the time. How much higher will it go before prices get back to reasonable levels again? I really want to upgrade to 32GB, but definitely can't justify it at these prices, even though my machine has started swapping at times when working with multiple VMs.

The more people give up on desktops in favor of laptops or tablets with keyboards, the more parts are going to cost :smith:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I was kinda hoping for a Asrock motherboard. :) SuperMicro makes nice boards, but they are very expensive. Seems like a second ThreadRipper might be wiser.

I did find another board but didn't feel it was worth mentioning because it'll come pre-stained from the factory in the form of the letters M, S and I in that order.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Okay that's pretty loving nice of them TBH

I'm starting a better job in a couple months and will be looking at a THREADRIPPER V2 or whatever it's going to be called.

THREADRIPHARDER obviously

Palladium posted:

lmao my spare PC somehow had AMD services running even though it had never used any AMD hardware since a fresh install

Cool story bro

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lowen SoDium posted:

individual pairs shielded

Oof that must suck to deal with

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

No it wasn't hard. At least with the keystones I used. Some might close and lock up in a different way and contact the shielding differently which can effect difficulty though.

The cable I used had wire mesh shielding surrounding all the twisted pairs with each pair individually wrapped in foil too so maybe that effected things as well. The keystones were a clamshell type and came with a copper sheet to wrap around the cut back shielding, holding together, while still allowing it to contact the metal shell of the keystone and go to drain. They locked together with a built in friction clip. For the time they were fairly expensive, I remember paying around $14 a keystone. Googling real quick shows similar ones going for around $6 a pop now. YMMV

Just thinking about stripping the shielding off of 4 pairs per drop with my big ol' sausage fingers and you did 24, so 24 * 2 * 4 = ouch. Could be I just have bad memories from the last time I made my own taps. Ask me about slipping while stripping insulation and jamming the business end of a wire cutter not just into the end of my two fingers but also under a nail!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Paul MaudDib posted:

Potentially, if you only have one or two HDDs in your rig, you could do that with Gigabit too, if your mobo has dual NICs or you can add an adapter card. Having a dedicated channel between your main rig and your NAS actually owns pretty hard. Probably not cheaper than IB these days, but maybe more flexible.

All it took was adding a hosts mapping on my gaming rig that said that traffic to the NAS should resolve to a 10.0.x address while my 1Gbase-T network resolves to 192.168.x. And vice versa for the NAS. They can coexist on regular gbit ethernet while also having their own private device-to-device host mapping.

I used to do this with Firewire before gigabit became cheap enough for me :unsmith:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

This feels like that argument a few months ago* over whether it was reasonable for Linux to automatically mount the BIOS as rw but with a ~whitepaper~ and made by opportunistic shitheads I'd like the SEC to ream out with a power drill.

* I'm not sure if it was even in this thread sorry if that's confusing people

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I don't really know why both AMD or Intel insist on doing this poo poo. Like I get why in theory its great to have and all but the real world implementations are clearly falling short here.

The customers that actually matter because they buy the most hardware want remote management that can do things like surviving a user savvy enough to leverage physical access into an unauthorized OS root, so they're drat well gonna get it. Then AMD has to do it for feature parity.

IDK how you make it more secure than requiring root or physical access plus signed code to run. As in, unless there's a problem with the signature verification or the private key is public, that's a secure setup.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Malcolm XML posted:

This is totally legal btw it's what short sellers do all the time. It'd be really hard to show stock bashing since these are in fact vulnerabilities.

I believe you, but it'd be nice if there were consequences to lying with the truth.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Alpha Mayo posted:

So an attacker with kernel level access to the system can do kernel level things with it? I still don't see the exploit. You can also flash a corrupted Intel Management Engine into the BIOS and brick an Intel computer or permenantly change configuration settings most people aren't even aware of, is that also an "exploit"?

The firmware validation bypass is a legitimate problem whether or not there was disclosure fuckery. The fuckery just made the whole situation a little more dangerous, so it shouldn't be glossed over.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The kind of changes in firmware these vulns allow shouldn't be permitted short of cracking the hardware open and attempting to re-flash by soldering on to the serial pins and even that should be protected by some mechanism.

Requiring physical access to update the TPM is a decent idea, but IDK how that'd go over with anyone who runs a decent sized DC. These things are going to have issues because humans are dumb, so you have to be able to update them and a workflow of 'push BIOS update' is a lot cheaper than 'open every server, plug in a USB stick and wait' so I know which one will be more popular.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

'you have no idea what your talking about' shitposts the shitposter in between hilariously ignorant shitposts

e: actually they're not that funny but whatever

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FaustianQ posted:

which can be done on a wraith spire

Can't fit one in the case he picked.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FaustianQ posted:

Wraith Spire is 54mm, max height for the E-W150 is 63mm, no?

The thing I found said it's 70mm :shrug:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Khorne posted:

I wish MS weren't lazy assholes who have left win8/win10 busted for gaming.

:confused: 10 works fine for me? I even have a high-DPI, high-refresh monitor and an older very-much-neither-of-those-things monitor next to it. Granted, I don't see the point of playing a game windowed if you have a second monitor, but live your best life, I guess.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Arzachel posted:

I don't think it forced vsync on all windowed applications back then, did it?

Oh, I see. That's an understandable design decision on the part of the Windows team - especially since most Windows installs are on laptops nowadays.

Maybe take the money you guys insist on not spending on the high-factory-clocked chips and get a cheap second monitor so you can give one to your games then :angel: yes, I'm aware that's not feasible for everyone

e: this might partially be the Windows composition manager's fault?
below: as rendered when I opened the file; above: after highlighting and clearing the highlight

Only ever see this on VS and SMS, which is based on VS, so maybe they do something weird in their text renderer to keep it from shittiing itself when displaying huge files

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 3, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Khorne posted:

That's the entire problem. If you have things going on your second monitor it messes up the primary. If you play in full screen then when you tab out the game minimizes on your primary and you have to deal with tabbing back in and can't see the game while doing stuff on your secondary.

In 7 you just disable aero and then play in windowed fullscreen and can freely play around on your other monitors. You can have videos on, you can play multiple games at once, it doesn't matter.

If I only had 1 monitor it wouldn't even matter. I could just play fullscreened because tabbing into other stuff will mess up me being able to see and interact with the game anyway.

It's such an anti-feature that the trend went from everyone playing windowed fullscreen and it being the future to everyone being all "you gotta play in fullscreen or you [something bad]".

Civ VI works that way if I run it in DX12 mode. It also crashes a lot, but I didn't run it long in DX11(?) mode to compare. Guess I should play around with that and see what's up... if I have time and think to.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Stanley Pain posted:

Are you running multi monitor? Is one or more of your monitors Hi-DPi? Are you using >100% font rendering? Are you running different font scaling across 2+ monitors?

Gosh how did you guess all of those?! Yeah, at work they gave me a 24 inch 1080 secondary monitor to go with a high-DPI laptop. At home I have a high-DPI main monitor and an old 1200x1600 secondary.

The odd thing, to me, is it only happens with Visual Studio and derivatives. Like, what zany-assed thing are they doing that nobody else seems to be doing? Nothing else fuckes up like that, that I've found, at least.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Stanley Pain posted:

Microsoft is horrible when it comes to their UI elements following their own design principles. Event viewer, Taskmanager and a bunch of other apps within Windows also end up looking like crap.

The latest build of Windows 10 fixes a lot of these (but if you plug/unplug monitors without logging out you still get odd results). If you're on Win 7/8 :rip:

Oh plenty of stuff looks like rear end when it's scaled on the high-DPI - VS is just the only thing that gets font rendering straight up wrong on the normal-DPI monitor. I've been confused when scrolling through source code that looked invalid because it dropped the lower line from an equals sign, for instance, but then you highlight it and it's rendered correctly. Other programs, that I'm guessing rely on older APIs, just look like a blur effect has been applied consistently everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Probably because Windows is still hot garbage when it comes to consistently dealing with with high DPI support and the OEMs don't want to be fielding calls about why some random application is tiny and unreadable when it isn't something they can control.

It's just blurry in a way that makes you rub your eyes (or presumably clean your glasses) to check if it's you or the thing you're looking at.