Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

iospace posted:

Dude, I specced out an AMD based "gently caress all of you" computer for comparison, and it had a 2990WX, 2080Ti, 128 GB RAM, 2 TB M.2 SSD, and 4 TB HDD and it still came under 5 grand :v:

Gave it a cheap rear end case though, but still.

I did the same! The only wrinkle was that the Mac Pro maxes out at over a terabyte of RAM, which IDK maybe you can do on some EPYC board, but not on any of the TR boards I could find. The main use case for that much RAM that I know of is keeping a live DB in memory, but a vanishingly small number of people would need that in a workstation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can turn off the lights on any device with this one simple trick.

It's called "a good pair of diagonal cutters".

I got a case without a window 🤷‍♂️

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

TorakFade posted:

Even then, some light usually bleeds out of the back, and if the back's against a white wall it can be quite visible in the dark. Less so under a desk.. really, it's no big deal, but if you want no lights at all you should be able to just turn them off and a hardware switch would be much better than having to install software (and not even that expensive for manufacturers I believe).

(my case is chock full of gaudy leds and on top of my desk :pcgaming: )

Fair. I'm also pretty light-tolerant, apparently? People complain about sleeping in our guest room because all the lights from the computer case and router are too much for them, but I'm just glad to have them when I get up to pee - don't want to step in the cat box on the way :haw:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

KillHour posted:

If it makes you feel better, my boot loader was on a different drive than the system drive for some reason, so I got to spend an hour and a half giving out how to rebuild that on the correct drive and lost my license activation in the process. Also, it was an upgrade license and I don't have the original any more, which meant I had to buy a new windows license for the first time in 12+ years.

That's weird - I had to reinstall Windows 10 on someone's laptop the other day that had been pretty obviously updated from 7 and it was perfectly happy to go without a new license.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lowen SoDium posted:

A lot of laptop bioses have a certificate in them that Windows will read to active and Windows 10 will usually activate with a Windows 7 cert.

I also helped with one from some white label OEM that I had helped swap out the motherboard on in February. I thought they used some kind of device fingerprinting now.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

OhFunny posted:

The talk of USB4 remained me that all the front ports on my case are USB 2.

That's the only reason I get a new case last rebuid. Then I got a monitor with 3.0 hub in it so I used the case ports ~twice for actual 3.0 things :v:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

TimeWaster posted:

:tipshat: Thanks, now I'm up to speed. Carry on.

Last BIOS update was 'only' 10.6MB and I assume that's a full image - maybe if they drop some of the bullshit graphics in the BIOS UI they can fit it in 🤪

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

CyberPingu posted:

:stare: of course it does.

Once my 2nd .m2 comes im dumping samsung drives for good.

Just don't use their dumbass software - the drives are still good

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

That background feature relying on AVX2 explains why my work laptop sounds like it's trying to do some kind of VTOL maneuver when I turn it on

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Basically everything built after 2008 or so has some kind of management engine in it with likely terrible security. I genuinely applaud the coreboot team for swimming against the tide, even though there's not much to be done about it. Maybe someday we'll have RISC V laptops that are open source down to the architecture.

Pretty sure the Intel Management Engine, at least, has been proven to be actually bad at security. AMD's offering is likely just as bad but hasn't been widely deployed so researchers don't give it as much attention.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

When they say 3rd gen do they mean only 3rd gen?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Paul MaudDib posted:

judging by the CPU support list I would say yes

Ah poo poo, yeah I see that now. Dang 😕

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I swear Linus looks just a little more haggard in each thumbnail I see posted ITT

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Is there any reason to get the NH-D15 SE-AM4 over a regular NH-D15?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I mean, if it'll get used on another system it'll probably need a new bracket for whatever new socket everyone is on for DDR5.

Isn't the D15S just a D15 that just ships with one fan? Sure looks like you can turn a 15 into a 15S by prying off a metal bracket but I've never seen either in person so IDK.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Just letting people know that I was poking around and found https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000458938976.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.54db7975mhYqNT which claims to be ECC RAM that will run at 3600MHz. Timings aren't amazing, but I'm thinking about trying it, if I get the board I'm looking at.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

AVEXIR, huh? I haven't seen anything about their DDR4 but weren't their DDR3 modules complete garbage?

Dunno - never heard of them before.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm starting to think that being an early adopter on Zen 1 was an increasingly raw deal, since I have the exact same problems and keep having to drop memory timings to even boot, but I can't justify spending dosh to get off of this 1600 with how the market is, and I won't get onto a dead-end socket.

I think I'm down to 2800 from 3200 now.

Late last month, I pulled half the memory out of my 1700 in order to get the system to stay stable for more than 12 straight hours. Dunno why it degraded so much the last few months, but I'm getting on the fully baked Ryzen so I hopefully won't have to deal with this crashy poo poo anymore and won't have to deal with teething problems of a new arch, socket and memory standard.

To that end, I have a General Memory Question for memory knowers in the thread: I got two kits of 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL16 Ripjaws (single rank Hynix according to the BIOS) and put them in an ASRock Taichi X570. Both kits ran 8 rounds of Memtest86 just fine at the timings advertised on the packaging individually*. Then I installed both at the same time and got exactly two errors on different tests of different runs. That's weird because I'm used to getting 1000s of errors, consistently, when the part is obviously NFG. I took them out and swapped the banks they were in, effectively also re-seating them, and now they're through ~40 rounds with no errors. Am I being too paranoid in still thinking I should take them back and get a single 2x16 kit I suspect is dual-rank and trying that?

I'm just doing a sanity check in case the last three years of random, infrequent crashes that became more frequent recently has me annoyed beyond reason, here.

*after a BIOS update - nothing would so much as POST above board default timings before that 😣

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 9, 2021

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's some slow-rear end memory, dude.

Conflated 3600 and CL16 :doh:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

IDK if you're counting me in there but I'm not overclocking* but running the stuff at the timings+voltage on the box. I did bump up the voltage temporarily to see if it'd help but it didn't.

* apparently DDR4's max spec speed is 2400 and anything above that is technically overclocked, but all I ask out of my parts is stability at the numbers they put on the box

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I assume people overvolt a bit to try to juice that last couple of tenths of a percentage point out of the stone, but IDK maybe I'm wrong. I don't have the patience for that stuff so I've never tried it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I would note that they ordered a kit that costs ~$50 more than the one they got and probably ought to at least ask for the difference back, if they keep it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I thought Intel had a patent on the LGA until Threadripper sockets came out with them 🤷‍♂️

Idea: make the lever on the ZIF a big plate that has a hole shaped like the IHS but slightly bigger an make it clip or screw into place on the side of the socket opposite the hinge

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 24, 2021

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

My local Microcenter has them in stock - don't suppose you've got one?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

priznat posted:

Have there ever been boards with pcie slots on both sides :haw:

"Only two sides? :crossarms:" - ASRock

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Was :confused: always animated?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Cable management to me is shoving & crushing everything behind the back panel

:discourse: avatar/post combo

I have cut through the sheathing and shorted (thankfully just fan) cables doing this in an older steel case where the punched metal edges were sharp, though, so it's not always a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Crunchy Black posted:

Do you all have your computers situated 4 inches from your head and never wear headphones?

Look, my VR rig may not be ""comfortable"" by most peoples standards but the latency is sick and my neck is getting stronger every day