Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
For highend gaming (especially that high fps) GN still recommends the 9700K.
The Ryzen 3600 for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I would pay the 100 pounds or whatever more now, just to avoid having to gently caress with the AMD socket again in the future and wiggling off the cooler etc.
Yeah getting old sucks :smith:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah that is the highest end Iris Pro model I think (bigly $$$) stuck with insane botique memory.
And it still gets its rear end beat by the mobile 1030/MX150 thing. No idea who this (or APUS) is for.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Please don't spend money on an A anything cpu :cripes:
Someone will give you a free one, even then the postage is barely worth it.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 2, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It doesn't matter what some software says your idling at, if that readout is even correct. None of them can be trusted with the new Zens in particular. Was it average or peak, 'measured' over how many 100's of ms, only the highest core or some median?

Ideally you wanna measure board power with a multitool, or a really good killawatt for total system power if you're sure sure the GPU stays idle.
Also your OC numbers don't mean poo poo, GDDR memory in particular, only benchmark numbers. Ok /rant over

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Speaking of which, do any of the latest GPUs do AV1 hardware decoding yet? Youtube has an experimental option for content in that format.

Nah. Whatever Nvidia does on 7nm has a decent chance of bringing it to the table, but you won't see consumer products on the shelf with AV1 until next year.
Mobile SOC things maybe for xmas :shrug:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 12, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Good ol' Igor, formerly of TomsHW Germany but independent since it shut down, took a closer look at some entry level X570 boards among the confusion about Zen2 Bioses and clocks.
The article is here, but google translate is probably gonna struggle with his style: https://www.igorslab.media/drei-x57...he-performance/
Page 1 is numbers are for stock, BIOS default settings; page 2 is PBO with a 95W PPT limit set.
I'll try to summarize the findings

Asus Prime X570-P
3600X got 4076MHz average with 108W on the EPS-12V (Bios default), of which a calculated 92W actually reached the CPU cores
4031MHz pulling 98W (PBO/95W limit). Cores got 83W

++ equipped with DrMOS and SiC639 Power Stages, ~95% efficiency. Exemplary in this price segment
- Sensors are very inaccurate. Don't trust anything sensor-reading software tells you about power consumption with this board
-- Chipset fan airflow is blocked by typical bulky GPUs and the bloody thing gets loud
Not a bad buy if you want the best VRM setup and can live/tinker with the chipset fan.

MSI X570-A Pro
4061MHz with 119W (default), cores got 88W
3953MHz with 97W (PBO/95W limit), cores got 65W

- poor efficiency compared to the Asus, about what you'd expect in this lowend segment
+ the only board of the bunch with reliable sensor readings
+ chipset cooler fan is well regulated, with zero fan mode if temps allow it
Not a bad choice if you can live with the reduced efficiency

ASRock X570 Pro 4
4073MHz with 122W (default), 92W actually reached cores
4073MHz with 122W (PBO/95W limit set), 92W reached CPU
This board straight up ignores all user settings and goes full ham. It was disqualified, the Bios is buggy af and 'concerning' for the well-being of CPUs. Same poor efficiency as the MSI and the sensors were laughably off.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 26, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lightningproof posted:

Are the Ryzen power plans included in their chipset driver installer meaningful? It absolutely seems like the kind of pointless bloatware a manufacturer would bung in with the important stuff, but my 3700x is the first AMD processor I've ever had so maybe things are different over here.

The new Ryzen3000 plans are supposed to enable the Windows scheduler to adjust CPU frequency a lot more rapidly and fine-grained than it normally can.
What it actually does for performance, eh :shrug:

Zen1 had a similar thing that would disable core parking when idle, it got rolled into one the recent large Win10 updates eventually.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Maybe the Bios thing leaves the invisible Windows recovery partition intact, and the installer reuses it?
Granted I have no idea how most of that stuff works anymore since UEFI became a thing.

Oh yeah UEFI Bioses can silently install Windows drivers, too. I tried to get rid of my Asus mobo driver once and :welp:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cygni posted:

I said please. 1440 screens are cheap. Be excellent to yourself.

My issue is that you need a 32" curved monstrosity for 1440p to get the same pixel/inch density as your regular 24" FHD screen.
If you don't, you'll get screwed by so many apps and games that don't support UI and text scaling perfectly.
UHD is a heartly lol at this point except for bigass wall hung TVs.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 6, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Just leave it at balanced and forget about AMDs aggressive stepping on the gas/brake every 10 nanoseconds or whatever they do.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Those would be good questions to ask AMD support or your mobo manufacturer.
Does it actually run cooler though? You'd have to test with a killawatt or something along those lines in idle, because the numbers Zenmaster or any other software report are not reliable at all.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W
550W might do, too if it's on a good sale and you run everything on stock settings.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 12, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

mfny posted:

Because there is not a non APU Ryzen 3rd gen at my CPU budget (£100 or less) .. unless I am missing something ?

The APUs are not really 3rd gen sadly. 2nd gen CPU and a handful of Vega graphics cores that are too much for desktop use and not enough for gaming.
You are much better off with a 2600 on clearance sale and a used Pascal card.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

mfny posted:

The RX570 I have works just fine in everything on at least High/1080p settings even on this creaky AM3 system so why would I change GPU ?

Oh you have a decent gpu, nevermind that then

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Don't bother fiddling around with Ryzen clocks, let it do its stock thing (no PBO) and put your effort into setting up the memory tight.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there any kind of release date on RX 5500 custom cards?

Latest word was in 2 weeks time, but I don't think anyone is in a hurry to rush them market.
The distributors and retailers are gonna have to dump the mountains of 570/80/90's that didn't sell at a loss for 130$ in a landfill first.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

GCN is pretty good at compute actually. In some things like Milkway it'll curbstomp Nvidia GPU's pretty hard and that wouldn't be possible at all if GCN was terrible at compute. The real issue is the lack of compiler (nothing like CUDA and OpenCL never really caught on much) and developer support for it and has been for years and years.

They have been trying to change that I think, there was some sort of a recompiler/translator brought out a while ago, but its not getting them much support or market share yet.

A few days ago I saw several warnings on the AMD reddit that Navi returned wrong calculations to folding@home etc and that 2 Navis validating each other by chance could be a serious problem.
Turned out iirc that the opencl compiler thing for Windows hadn't been properly maintained for years, and something finally broke without warning on 5700's :smith:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 21, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
You'll lose your mind if you go down the rabbithole of trusting anything you set in shaky AMD partner BIOSes, and relying on false clock/temp readouts.
Overdrive also bad.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I'm still not too clear about what graphics are in Renoir. Modified Vega? :confused:

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

One factor keeping AMD from being more widely sold by Dell/HP/etc is that their APUs lag way behind their pure CPU releases

Just my hot take, but the graphics units just make no sense.
So far they have been overkill for office work/light video stuff which Intel HD does very well and with better software support, but too little for games or serious Mac Pro workloads.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 4, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Can you set the PPT in Bios? In general I mean, not all vendors/models would expose it.
Playing games with an AMD software is not my idea of fun times.

e; I wish AMD had had the balls to set ppt to 50W for the 3700 and 65W for the 3800.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 24, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

Is it normal for SoC/fabric power to be high on zen2 even idle? I dropped fclk to 1866 and lowered soc voltages (it took a lot to get 1900 stable and just isn't worth it because that power comes out of cpu/PPT), but even idle it sits at like 20W according to hwinfo. My cores might be using 0.05 to 0.30 watts each, but SoC will still be 19W.

Yes, that's mostly the reason Zen is.. not very good for mobile.
It gets worse the faster you clock your ram, 3600 already can really eat into a non-X's power budget.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I.F. pushed that far can burn 20..25W constantly iirc (even when idle) and eat into the power budget of the cpu. Are you sure it's worth it? :ohdear:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
16 cores do nothing for gaming, the only upgrade would be innate improvements that the 3000 series brings.
You can get those with a 3700 but if it's worth it I dunno, your 2700 won't sell for much as is customary with AMD stuff.
Maybe you can pick one up closer to the 4000 launch, when existing stock get price cuts.
Overclocking is dead on Zen. In fact you should check everything with a fine comb to ensure that your setup runs AMD reference voltages, and not whatever the mainboard vendor thought was a bright idea.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 20, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

mdxi posted:

Especially curious, if we assume that B650 will ship with Zen 3 in autumn.

Why would you even assume B650 to launch at the same time as the X chipsets?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Passburger posted:

Is it normal for Ryzen systems to take over a minute to completely shutdown?

How long does logging out take (not the lock screen, real sign out)? And then shutting down from the login window?
If the first one is the culprit, there is some dangling user software and you could start uninstalling poo poo.
In the latter case, a system driver or messed up Windows. That's a bigger problem :smith:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

jk, black screens started again. No idea why BF1 and BFV crash for me when every other game is fine. Starting to consider doing a fresh install.

There is a snake oil solution going around that disabling some settings in Windows 10 might help.
Type exploit protection in the start menu, program settings -> add the game .exe files, and disable CFG and bottom-up ASLR.
I don't have a Vega/Navi card, just sayin'

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Cage Kicker posted:

I have a question, I have a 3700x on the way. Is the stock cooler going to be enough, as some people have told me, or should I spring for an aftermarket one? My roommate has a GameCube sized Noctua and I was considering it.

I'd get a decent $30-40 tower that has a bit more mass and moves air backwards towards the rear exit fan, instead of straight upwards diffusing it everywhere in the case.
You don't need a huge chonker for a stock 3700 though.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

EmpyreanFlux posted:

The scores seem to kind of indicate that 8CU Renoir Vega cores @ 2.4Ghz ~11CU Picasso Vega cores @ 1.8Ghz, so the newer Vega doesn't seem to have some huge leap in per ALU performance at all.

People really thought RTG had gone back and redesigned Vega for some $100 APUs huh?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Is the Noctua NHD15 overkill for AMD CPUs? I picked one up and I’m going to have some problems fitting the ram or the case. I can still return it for something else like a U14S. My goal is to keep things running as cool as possible while generating a minimum of noise.

For reference I’m probably gonna run a 3700 until the 4000 series comes out.

For running a 65W TDP part (more like ~85W under stress) at AMD reference settings, it's a bit much yes.
Be careful that your mainboard doesn't do anything stupid with auto-OC or voltages, but that's just general AMD Zen advice.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

an actual dog posted:

Does PBO even do anything?

It depends on the mainboards specific implementation (everything with Zen does), but the most common outcome I've read is goosing voltage to 1.450V in exchange for a minuscule clockspeed gain.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Seriously Renoir seems like the perfect budget upgrade path. Grab a 4700G, push the iGPU and memory when you don't have a dGPU (getting RX 460/GTX 950 performance). Switch the iGPU off and push the CPU when you have a dGPU, compromise on seemingly nothing during the entire process.

Surely that has nothing to do with AMDs reluctance to sell Renoir as singles :ssh:
What the hell did they do to the IF to get (reported) memclocks like that?
If it also downclocks properly during idle, unlike desktop Zen2's IF burning 15-25W all the time, that'd make their entire stock sub 3950X obsolete a couple months too early.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Hey since a lot of you seem to be super into those APUs, Igor just posted a warning article about Renoir on mobile platforms. It's limited to PCIE 3.0 x8 for the dGPU on those.
If you're looking to buy of them prebuild NUC boxes, double check what kind of mainboard is used in there and how the lanes are setup.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ijyt posted:

OcUK has preliminary prices for the 5000 series.

5600X: £289.99 (3600XT: £229.99 / 10600K £248.99)
5800X: £428.99 (3800XT: £359.99 / 10700K £359.99)
5900X: £529.99 (3900XT: £449.99 / 10900K £499.99)
5950X: £749.99 (3950X: £579.99)

Yeah the prices are very rough. Taking the binned XT models (that were already undesirable) as baseline and going even beyond that is :smith:
300 bucks for a salvaged sixcore is a hard pass for me.

If it was a monolithic powerhouse like the new APUs running DDR4-4000, sure why not.
But for the same old 12nm I/O chiplets and the IF still wasting gobs of energy in idle, nahh.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 12, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ijyt posted:

That plus prices for tech in the UK always suck rear end.

I wonder what it'll be like next year; do you have to have a stack of USD/EUR stuffed in a mattress to order electronics and medicines from the civilized world?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

DrDork posted:

For boards you can update without having a working CPU, you're looking for any of them that support "Flash Back" on them. I don't think there's a consolidated list anywhere, but it'll show up in the features list so you can usually Ctrl-F it--if not right on the retailer's page, then certainly on the manufacturer's page.

The site is for select EU shops only, but you can peep which models have USB flashback:

Internal port: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=mbam4&xf=13067_USB+BIOS+Flashback+(intern)%7E317_B550%7E317_X570&sort=p#productlist
External: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=mbam4&sort=p&xf=13067_USB+BIOS+Flashback+(extern)%7E317_B550%7E317_X570

It's a lotta Gigabyte and MSI, decent Asus selection, and the highest-end Asrock ones.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

AnandTech has got some low res game benchmarks in their review, and they highlight the gap dramatically, in favour of Ryzen 5000. Well worth checking out, even if they're not very "real-world". Ryzen 5000 clearly has much more overhead to increase framerate than 10th gen Intel, it's actually pretty incredible

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/amd-zen-3-ryzen-deep-dive-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested

That is a nice article.
Wth is going on with the 140W 8core part, senselessly gobbling twice the power of the 5600X at the same frequencies for just two more cores :confused:
I hope there is that Bios power save mode for Zen3 still, turning it into a very expensive 65W TDP 5700X.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The 5800X will become a stellar buy when the price on it drops in ~6 mo.

Nah its power draw is horrendous for 2% or whatever more gaming performance.
Watch the GN video it's like 72W for the 5600 compared to 140W. AMD gave it the same power envelope as the 16core and it's boosting its little heart out on a node that doesn't take to OC'ing at all.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 7, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
How indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Can you set default instead of auto for cpu voltage on that Asus board?
You can't trust most of those numbers you screenshot anyway with Ryzen (most boards just report gibberish, or worse CPU-Z makes an educated guess off of bad readouts) but 1.4V is really high.