Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
$699 bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is it basically a forgone conclusion that both the Xbox and Playstation platforms will be sticking with an AMD based x86 platform with AMD graphics for the time being? Seems like a win all around, but just curious.

This seems weird to me. I haven't owned a console since the Super Nintendo, so excuse what may be a dumb question, but...doesn't this mean that the two base systems will be fairly similar to one another? If so, the only substantive differentiations will the online ecosystems and any locked-up exclusives?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
nice

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
boo this man. boo!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
um...he didn't say that he was expecting the same performance?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Statutory Ape posted:

Yes but magnets

this

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

it will be the hottest at least

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

incoherent posted:

Pro move is buying the 3950X and immediately shut off half the cores. Then, every year you enable two of them at a time. :smug: Thank me later.

lmbo

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
good god have some self respect

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not sure if I can sell a hardware migration with "but the ISA is prettier"

you can if you throw in some leds!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
64 cores on the desktop

what a world

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
yeah, it's amazing how fast the script has flipped

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Has science gone too far?

this is madness!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Hi, I’m dumb and I have a dumb question that I’ve always wondered about: what’s the point of placing two ethernet ports on desktop mobos? What’s the second one used for?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Cool, thanks for all the answers.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
If they told everyone that, fewer people would buy new mobos. Is this everyone’s first experience with how the world operates?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
But sir, have you considered one cpu has a bigger number than the other?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

See, I was thinking more:

p hot take

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Statutory Ape posted:

now im scared i have a bad mobo in my AMD build and ill be damned if i remember what i got

you should be!

In all known cases of keyboards spontaneously exploding into users’ faces, 95% of them involved “not knowing what kind of mobo I’ve got.”

plz be careful

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

i don't know anything about this dude, but with the pants-making GBS threads on display here...wow...that must have been some come to jesus letter he got lmao

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Fabulousity posted:

After looking through whatever xLake arcitecture is next:
Jim Keller: [holding vulnerability hole trap like a rat by the tail] We got it.
Intel CEO: What is it? Will there be any more of them?
Jim Keller: Sir, what you had there is what we refer to as a focused, non-terminal, repeating phantasm or a ring-zero full-roaming vapor. A real nasty one, too.
Dr. Peter Venkman : And now...
[Peter clears his throat]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... let's talk seriously. Now, for the discovery, we're gonna have to ask you...
[Egon holds up four fingers]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... for four big ones, Four thousand dollars for that. But we are having a special this week on vulnerability probing of the exploit...
[Egon holds up one finger]
Dr. Peter Venkman : ... and that's only gonna come to one thousand dollars, fortunately.
Intel CEO : Five thousand dollars? I had no idea it'd be so much. I won't pay it.
<Jim Keller resigns>

loving lmao

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Yeah, yeah, yeah...but are they any good? Or is this more of a who cares thing?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Yeah, my bad. Didn’t notice these things are itx.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

lmao

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
all wrong. first, take your computer on the roof and tie a rock to your heatsink. then...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
It’s time. My i7-940 won’t cut it anymore and games are making me feel nauseous due to low frames.

I sat down to price an AMD build and realized the 4xxx line is due this year? I think? Any idea on release date for desktop chips?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Cool. Thanks for the update.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm really fed up with these dumbass naming schemes. I went on Crucial's website to see about ram for a 3700x and there were QVLs for "Matisse" and "Renoir." Look, I'm a dude that has a computer that I like to tinker around with, but I'm not currently plugged into the micro-architecture scene -- how the gently caress am I supposed to know what internal naming scheme AMD uses for a goddamn product I own and how in god's name would I locate this info anywhere?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

Goddamn I wish these silicon valley fucks would invent Google so I could look things up.

AMD Ark would be cool, but chill my dude. If you're looking at QVLs, you can Google "AMD Matisse wikichip" and find this website:

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/cores/matisse

You're assuming I should know that "matisse" applies to the internal cpu micro-architecture naming scheme and not some code name for a chipset, or certain type of memory. It's not presented in a way that clues me in on what I'm searching for. I found out eventually, via that cool google site you recommended, but c'mon.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
LOL at having a hard drive. How cute. I saved up my money so I could finally buy a second 5.25" floppy drive for my Atari 800. The drive was >$300 and was the size of a shoebox, but with it, I could finally start copying my friends' games in a serious way.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
If you're currently rocking a RGB component you bought because it has RGB I want to invite you to go gently caress yourself.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Hahaha that’s loving awesome

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Xaris posted:

the one thing AMD should take away is not being complacent just re-releasing crabby lake/fart lake/sky farts/coffee cake/poppy seed renamed after some dumb vacation resort for $600 each time

lmao this made my day THANK YOU!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Are threadrippers going to be refreshed or have they dropped that line?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

The niche is a lot smaller now that normal Ryzens go up to 16 cores, right? Epyc is there if you have lots of money and want a bajillion cores. The combo of high clocks and lots of cores must be entirely thermally limited now.

Yeah, makes sense. I hadn't come across a threadripper reference in quite some time, but have seen the occasional Epyc mention here and there. I was just wondering. Thanks!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Wow, tough crowd tonight.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
My firm is rolling out new laptop replacements and decided on a model with the "AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U processor," whatever that is. In any case, it's got 8-cores which strikes me as completely unnecessary for corporate drones like me.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Gonna finally retire the ol' Westmere and go AMD. Got a new board and memory. Water loop with a ridiculous gently caress-off radiator too. Because I've been holed up in my garage for the last 10 months so why the hell not?

Anyhoo. What's the general state of affairs for 5950x availability? Are there any places in particular that get them in stock or should I not even bother for a while?

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 24, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
sorry folks, i just wanted to know if 5950x's were sporadically available, i don't know why that turned into an irc vs discord deathmatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

It's hard to comprehend now but at one point the 2700X was available for $130 at times which was a great deal, those days are long gone though and you should just buy a 3600.

sigh, if only we had clapped. just clapped. that's all it would have taken.