Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

The 18 people who still play this on console will be thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

DeathChicken posted:

I have no clue. Might just be a depth perception problem on my end or something, but they seem to be out of reach by the time Jason finishes his lunge. It's frustrating.

The success/failure of a grab is determined when the grab begins. Think of the grab as being an approximate cone in front of Jason; when you hit the grab button, if there's a counselor within that cone, you get the "successful grab" animation and the counselor is grabbed. If there isn't a counselor within that cone (even if one runs into it a fraction of a second later), you get the "failed grab" animation and no counselor is grabbed, even if it looks like they're running directly into your hands.

This is made more awkward because grabbing a counselor from directly behind is often the hardest grab to do because of the way positions/latency are communicated - general advice for grabbing running counselors is to try and grab directly in front of where they appear to be moving. If you're shifting from directly behind a counselor, however, the disparity between where you and the counselor are and where the server thinks the two of you are can mean that even though on your screen you're literally rubbing up against the sprinting counselor from behind, the moment you go for the grab you miss because the counselor is too far in front of you to be grabbed. This same thing happening in reverse is why also as a counselor sometimes it will appear as if Jason grabbed you from absurdly far away, usually as you just juked and significantly changed your direction.

Anyways, general advice when shift grabbing is don't try and come up directly behind counselors who are moving - put a little bit of a curve into your shift so you end up coming up alongside them at an angle and grab at the area immediately in front of them - I mean like six inches in front of their nose. It should help you land those shift grabs more reliably. Don't lead your grabs too much, though, because they need to be in the "cone" at the moment you start your grab.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Short version: Miller won the first round and is officially a recipient of profits from future films.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3524448/huge-development-friday-13th-writer-victor-miller-won-round-one-friday-13th-legal-battle/

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
After reading that... good? I mean, I know it has no bearing on this game (which I played for the first time since the PS4 update the other day, What a difference dedicated servers make) but the guy made less than 10k for jump starting the most recognizable property in horror.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
He totally deserves to win. Hopefully he's not a buttlord and we start getting DLC and movies again.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Next patch is going to have Kid Jason in the Virtual Cabin replaced by a big pixilated block

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

He totally deserves to win. Hopefully he's not a buttlord and we start getting DLC and movies again.

They have already stated that game development won’t be restarting even if the lawsuit ends. It is a huge bummer.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
gently caress.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/1047923737843179524

So as I suspected, them openly saying there's not going to be any future DLC was mostly to manage people's expectations and not make promises they can't keep. The future has now gone from hopeless to wildly uncertain.

Of course, every single comment on the article is still blaming Gun Media for the entire thing and claiming there's a conspiracy to deprive players of new content.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lurdiak posted:

Of course, every single comment on the article is still blaming Gun Media for the entire thing and claiming there's a conspiracy to deprive players of new content.

This always gets me because what's more likely, that Gun faked an easily verifiable lawsuit/copyright law as a concept in order to have an excuse not to work on the game they spent money on acquiring the license to, or that it's just how copyright law works and again is easily verifiable

Gamers are the worst

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Danaru posted:

This always gets me because what's more likely, that Gun faked an easily verifiable lawsuit/copyright law as a concept in order to have an excuse not to work on the game they spent money on acquiring the license to, or that it's just how copyright law works and again is easily verifiable

Gamers are the worst

Gamers talking about legal issues based off message board posts are hilarious. That gave us great things like people claiming to know for a fact Earthbound won't be rereleased in America because music copyright issues. Then Nintendo revealed they just didn't think it would sell and there was no copyright problem.

edit: I'm shocked no bigger budget studios have tried to rip off the gameplay/ideas from this game.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 4, 2018

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Gamers talking about legal issues based off message board posts are hilarious. That gave us great things like people claiming to know for a fact Earthbound won't be rereleased in America because music copyright issues. Then Nintendo revealed they just didn't think it would sell and there was no copyright problem.

edit: I'm shocked no bigger budget studios have tried to rip off the gameplay/ideas from this game.

Too busy cloning Fortnite and jamming loot boxes into everything to notice.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

joylessdivision posted:

Too busy cloning Fortnite and jamming loot boxes into everything to notice.

Combine Fortnite with F13. Now Jason has way more counselors to kill.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there should be an achievement for walking into your own traps and dying, denying the jason a kill

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Spacebump posted:

If they were going to try, we're at least a year out from hearing about it.

Some of the ideas from this will definitely turn up in later spins on asymmetric multiplayer. There's a bit of Last Year: The Nightmare that feels like a direct reaction, for example.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Little late on this, but there's a big contest going on right now.

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/1050838738673299459

As usual, my region isn't allowed to enter. :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing is, i don't think you can clone this game, because 99% of why it works is the license and the slavish care and devotion to it. if you take Jason out of this, you get Dead by Daylight, which is complete and utter rear end.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i think it works fine regardless of jason because there's actual mechanics in F13 whereas DbD is literally less complicated than the game of tag we all played in elementary school. that said, players tend to have a pretty long memory of mechanics and 'feel' so if you did an asset swap it'd crash and burn even if you fixed every bug ever and everything worked super well...because it is an asset swap.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing is, i don't think you can clone this game, because 99% of why it works is the license and the slavish care and devotion to it. if you take Jason out of this, you get Dead by Daylight, which is complete and utter rear end.

Nah, Dead by Daylight is just too rigid a game. Every round is way too predictable. Where as this has plenty of moving parts... so easily more things can go wrong :getin:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
With Dead By Daylight, the game itself is not that difficult. There's some x factors with how different killers work and the timing on the skill checks, but mostly every round is going to work out the same.

You start somewhere, find a generator, fix it, move on. You hide if a killer is approaching, and you run if they see you and give chase. Maybe you can get away, but more likely they will catch up and you will die.

You can't play distraction for the killer because, unless they just hyper focus on you on the hook, they'll go out and find more people to attack while at least one other member of your team will leave what they're doing to save your rear end.

And if they start chasing you, that's about it unless you get lucky or they're bad at keeping track of you. It is extremely simple and repetitive without any major chaos factors that come up. It's mostly a game of knowing when and how to hide and when to move and do poo poo.

Friday the 13th is a very different beast with very different rules. It's also, for me, more immediately satisfying and enjoyable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you're just mad you can't ruin a DbD round with science

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and i mean

fair cop

i would be too

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The other good thing this game has going for it is that the killer is actually a lethal machine of death compared to the wet napkin that other game's killers are.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So I decided to give quick match a go now that dedicated servers are on console and none of my Friday folks were on.

Sweet baby Jesus.

First round has a squeaker Jason who was at least making jokes and being funny. Everyone on the team was fairly inept and I'm pretty sure one car got away and I was killed last because I was trying to rack up some XP by fixing stuff.

Second round is another squeaker Jason who is talking mad poo poo from jump as Jason 7.

He tries to spawn kill me (spawned in as Tiffany) and I call Tommy as he's breaking the door down. This is the opening minutes of the match. I escape and call him an attempted spawn killing bitch and run off.

Somehow I fix the 4 seater by myself and 4 people get away. I also fixed the 2 seater on my own. Jason kills whoever was left and it's just the two of us. I figure I'll try to mine some more XP because gently caress it and start fixing a generator.

Fuckboy shows up and starts trying to talk poo poo about how he's going to get me.

I duck, dodge and run in and out of 3 cabins as he's chasing me for the final 2 minutes.

I spent the last minute literally standing by an open window dancing until time ran out. I think he was still smashing his way through the previous cabin.

Pubbies man.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Stanley Pain posted:

The other good thing this game has going for it is that the killer is actually a lethal machine of death compared to the wet napkin that other game's killers are.

This is definitely the experience I've had trying out Dead by Daylight today, the Killer is downright pathetic in comparison to Jason, like I'm lucky to get one kill in the former, while as Jason I'm usually able to get at least two or three people minimum before a round ends

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

To be fair, if I spawn as Jason and someone is right nearby my first Morph jump (and that person isn't Vanessa) I am totally going after them, if only to disrupt whatever house hunting they would otherwise do

But then again I'm a terrible Jason, so

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

drrockso20 posted:

This is definitely the experience I've had trying out Dead by Daylight today, the Killer is downright pathetic in comparison to Jason, like I'm lucky to get one kill in the former, while as Jason I'm usually able to get at least two or three people minimum before a round ends

I think what also plays in Friday's favour is the fact that, while Jason is rightly powerful, you can somewhat defend yourself in a way that isn't just dropping a pallet in front of him and running away.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hitting him with a bat and then booking it is loving hilarious.

Even more when it doesn't work.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I know I'm an idiot who loves smashing my face into a hot stove, but I read some of the Facebook comments when Illfonic made another announcement about the lawsuit thing.

People were raging at them for not fixing the lawsuit faster. :psyduck:
"Just change the terms of what they want!"
That kind of poo poo.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My favorite comment was “the guy on the other end of the lawsuit who has no control and that’s why he’s suing said it’s fine with him if you make new content so clearly you can make new content!”

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
loving bonkers, aren't they? The odd crackpot who pipes up with their ideas that this was all a conspiracy so the dev team doesn't have to make more content is the most baffling.

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

Honestly the dedicated servers have been a godsend- practically no dropped games since they were added, the few exceptions being Jasons rage-quitting. I can actually play at all hours of the day too, which was never a guarantee before. :11tea:

If anyone's interested in a private goon game, let me know.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I agree with most of your post but earlier today, played about 5 straight then got dropped from the server and couldn’t find a game to rejoin for almost 15 minutes. Not complaining really, just odd.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lurdiak posted:

Little late on this, but there's a big contest going on right now.

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/1050838738673299459

As usual, my region isn't allowed to enter. :(

I, no joke, only joined Twitter back when they had a similar contest one other time just to enter it. Then I've since deleted Twitter and now I'm conflicted... :ohdear:

Nah not really, Twitter is trash gently caress 'em.

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I, no joke, only joined Twitter back when they had a similar contest one other time just to enter it. Then I've since deleted Twitter and now I'm conflicted... :ohdear:

Nah not really, Twitter is trash gently caress 'em.

Not worth it; for a game that is literally about murder, even that is too much self punishment.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The game is free on PS+ right now so it’s actually experiencing as much of a rebirth as it possibly can.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheBizzness posted:

The game is free on PS+ right now so it’s actually experiencing as much of a rebirth as it possibly can.

Those of us on PS4 should get together and play some matches together

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Coolguye posted:

i think it works fine regardless of jason because there's actual mechanics in F13 whereas DbD is literally less complicated than the game of tag we all played in elementary school. that said, players tend to have a pretty long memory of mechanics and 'feel' so if you did an asset swap it'd crash and burn even if you fixed every bug ever and everything worked super well...because it is an asset swap.

actually, to be perfectly honest, the more i'm thinking about it, you're right. but that's also why an asset swap would work fine, provided they don't make people who already own F13 pay twice.

like, if they made a game with a new steam entry that was F13 with all serial numbers filed off and active development occurring, and just gave it to everyone who has F13 free, i think most of the community would actually be pretty happy. hell, it would even make it dirt simple for them to go back to updating F13 if the license situation clears up, because they could just basically merge all the Jason content back into the new game since it would theoretically be running on pretty much the same codebase (just a more cleaned-up version).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I for one look forward to killing teenagers as mysterious killer Mason Doorhees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

actually, to be perfectly honest, the more i'm thinking about it, you're right. but that's also why an asset swap would work fine, provided they don't make people who already own F13 pay twice.

like, if they made a game with a new steam entry that was F13 with all serial numbers filed off and active development occurring, and just gave it to everyone who has F13 free, i think most of the community would actually be pretty happy. hell, it would even make it dirt simple for them to go back to updating F13 if the license situation clears up, because they could just basically merge all the Jason content back into the new game since it would theoretically be running on pretty much the same codebase (just a more cleaned-up version).

That's basically what they pitched before they got the license. I think it was called Summer Camp vol1 or something like that.

Like it was basically "This isn't Friday the 13th *wink wink*"

And if they went back to that idea,I would play the hell out of it. Add some customization ability to the look of the killer and I'll pony up $40 again.

• Locked thread