Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Crabtree posted:

Well, I'd like to play this game but all I'm getting is The Code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this, after another reinstall. Also no VCRUNTIME140.dll. Um, what the gently caress?

Crabtree posted:

Posted to bug report and hoping for a reply soon.

You're missing your Visual C++ redistributable package.

Check in steamapps/common/F13Game/Engine/Extras/Redist/en-us and try running the installer in there. Off the top of my head, MSVCP140 means you're missing the Visual Studio 2015 package. You can download it directly from Microsoft, but make sure to get the 32-bit (x86) version as well - you need both the 32-bit and 64-bit version unless you're only running a 32-bit OS.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Burkion posted:

And then Olesh got clever.

There was but one path to victory left to me, and damnit, I was taking it.

The best (worst) part is I was streaming this, so the 7 or 8 people watching got to see a basically unmoving view for the majority of the round as I just sat in a hiding spot and waited for either the round to time out or for Jason to get sufficiently close that my counselor would panic and give herself away.

In the future, if I'm ever in a situation where my choices are "commit suicide on the three bear traps guarding the car while I try to repair it" and "survive by waiting out the round", I'm just going to save everybody's time and walk on the bear traps to end the round.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think all perks are universal for the counselors.

That's not quite true. I've got a perk for AJ ("Psychic") that doesn't seem to appear on any other counselor. At least, none of the ones I have access to.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Is that the perk where you start with a walkie talkie? I've got it on Jenny. Don't think its working right now cause when it did work earlier I would see the icon in the upper left corner.

I don't know if I just missed it showing up or what. Apparently it can appear on other counselors. Even Chad can be a psychic.

Having a guaranteed walkie-talkie is nice. Now, if I could just start with a pocketknife, I'd have all the perks I care about and can finish dumping points into MORE MURDER.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Coolguye posted:

Errors made on some repairs (most notably the cop box) give off map wide alerts and are guaranteed to get Jason's immediate attention since you have revealed that you:
- are doing something important
- are distracted
- are in a very predictable location

It also feels like the timing window gets smaller for consecutive button presses.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Coolguye posted:

actually speaking of traps, do we know how to handle the fuckers short of stepping in it like a dork and using a first aid spray afterward

You can disarm them with a pocketknife (crouch near the trap to get the prompt), assuming you're lucky enough to have one, but more than likely you'll just have to have someone sacrifice themselves and summon Jason.

My biggest pet peeve with this game is that trapping the car/fuse box are incredibly optimal uses of bear traps to the point where spending traps on anything else is a waste. As Jason, I refuse to do this as a general rule, because the traps are completely unavoidable when placed in these specific spots - you can't put in the battery or the gas can two feet to the side - and if you don't have a pocketknife, your only option is intentionally triggering it.

I think it's too easy to use traps to render the phone box/car practically unusable, doubly so since Jason probably has more traps than you have pocketknives. And he can simply put more traps down after you've disarmed them, meaning that you can't even reasonably sacrifice counselors at the altar of the bear trap to ensure other counselors have a chance to stun him and hastily fix the car/start the engine and drive off.

Maybe the "balance" will shift as more people get perks - if every counselor started with a pocketknife, trapping the car would be a lot less effective. For now, I just don't think it's fun as Jason or as a counselor.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Grey Fox posted:

confirming on PC this has been an international wonderland

There's a lot of russian players because apparently during pre-orders they hosed up the pricing and the game was dirt cheap in the russia

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

404notfound posted:

When playing as Jason, is there something you can do against somebody with no fear buildup who's just sitting in a hiding spot waiting for the match to end? I was morphing around checking all the houses and hiding spots, and I only just happened to get lucky when I was about to leave a house after a cursory scan and heard the exhale. It's not fun for Jason, it's not fun for all the other dead people, and all you get for it is an extra 200 experience. Like what is even the point?

I'm not really sure what you want to happen in this situation? It is actually very difficult for survivors to stay hidden, especially when Jason is investigating the area. Simply being near Jason is enough to start raising your fear. Hiding in a building doesn't stop the building from lighting up to Sense - all it does is buy the survivor a little time forcing Jason to check beds and listen for the survivor to either freak out because they didn't hold their breath or exhale because you can't hold your breath for more than a few moment.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I present to you, a story in five parts (thanks for clipping this off Jade's stream, Dev)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Savini Jason looks cool but it's not like he has extra, special powers. I think there's other Jasons who do what he can do slightly better.

You can win with any Jason, but Savini Jason has a really good set of stats - he's arguably the strongest jason in the game on the weight of his strengths and weaknesses.

His strengths are really good - Shift is incredibly good out of the box - lower cooldown and covering more ground per shift is probably the single best benefit in the game, in terms of killing counselors. Morph is nice to have for getting around and covering objectives, but people can't accomplish objectives when they're dead and Shift is what seals the deal.
Weapon Strength is also really good and pretty much universally applicable - it makes your attacks hurt more, requiring fewer hits to bring counselors down to crippled level and giving you more bang for the buck for each throwing knife.
Destruction is probably the weakest overall of the strength perks he has, and it's still really good - you're always going to be breaking doors, and being able to do that faster means more time chasing down and murdering counselors and less time being stalled.

His weaknesses are also really minor drawbacks - Grip Strength might as well not even matter as a weakness, considering that it's impossible for even full composure counselors to break free unless you are trying to drag them to an environmental kill. Water Speed is similarly very minor - although it potentially might be the difference between catching the boat and not, better strengths (or a lack of more punishing weaknesses such as Shift or Morph) can make it less likely that counselors will get the boat running in the first place and the odds of it mattering are slim to none.
Finally, Can't Run is basically irrelevant, especially on the weight of having an improved Shift. Only two jasons don't have this as a drawback, meaning it's more of a default state than a weakness.

Compare this to something like Part 7 Jason, who has two irrelevant "strengths" (Grip and Water Speed) and a weak bonus (Sense is nice, but nowhere near as nice as Shift or Morph, especially since you can toggle it to reduce the recharge), and actually noticeable weaknesses - slower cooldowns on Shift hurts, and being stuck with fewer traps is also painful.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

RichterIX posted:

I've been hearing a lot of talk about grab needing to be nerfed but I'm not sure I see it? Maybe the answer would be to have people have to tech out of the grab by hitting the correct random button instead of mashing to escape? As it stands it seems like mashing out is pretty much impossible unless the Jason player is getting greedy and trying to walk to an environmental kill that's too far away.

This is correct in 99% of cases. If you're playing a high composure character who hasn't been wounded/scared, you will still only break out of the grab if Jason chooses not to murder you immediately. The other 1% of cases are that there are a few locations where the ground/terrain prevents Jason from doing certain executions (it varies by execution), and if the Jason has only these equipped, he _must_ readjust his position/facing which can potentially buy enough time to break free.

Edit: Whether this is a problem that needs fixing is difficult to judge.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Coolguye posted:

last time i drank and played i attained a drunken mastery status where i ninjaed out of a map in under three minutes by perfectly and silently repairing the boat, got the cops called after i dropped some firecrackers on the phone to ward off jason (he was all the gently caress over me)

it owned

IN MY DEFENSE

I didn't know at the time you could just re-break the phone box to stop the call.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Paladin posted:

Yeah I've been that person multiple times. The only obvious one I've figured out is not to do it while Jason is getting hit by ANYONE or you might trigger your sweater animation but not actually accomplish anything.

I've had once or twice when the sweater absolutely would not work, despite hammering on the sweater key, and I've seen it happen to other people as well. Sometimes it just won't trigger, and it has nothing to do with other people being around.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Danaru posted:

Oh poo poo I misread the original announcement and thought the patch was going to be on the 18th :tem:

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/941790077176475649

It's dropping for PC/PS4 but not XBox.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I'm not seeing a fix for the sweater bug in those patch notes. :colbert:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Skyscraper posted:

Not even saying that, just that it has problems. That's apparently THE WORST THING EVER.
But sure, terrible, I'm crying, I'm literally so sad here and I guess entitled and also whiny and literally a martyr.

I should have known that. I've been playing bad this whole time.

Also

This is genius. Does anyone ever do it?

There are a ton of problems with this game. Just to name a few outstanding issues...
- Cars deciding to spontaneously stand on their fender after a crash, rendering the car unusable
- The weird dislocation effects (since Jason's grab is client-authoritative, the desync between where jason's client thinks a counselor's position is and where the counselor thinks Jason's position is can lead to Jason appearing to grab you while facing the entirely wrong direction or from a huge distance away). This can be mitigated to some degree with experience but it still requires you to predict what Jason is seeing to some degree
- Grip strength is basically meaningless because you cannot actually break free from Jason's grab before he kills you if there's room for a kill where you are.
- Jason can instantly see the armed/disarmed state of all traps on the map, even those you "silently" disarm with a pocket knife.
- The changes to counselor attacks mean that Jason can now abuse the hitboxes in the game to grab counselors, even in a group, with near impunity.

And yet, playing in quick play I regularly see counselors escape, up to and including whole teams. It's impossible to escape Jason indefinitely if he's laser-focused on you, but you can make him waste quite a lot of time. If the first counselor he kills is five minutes into the match and at least one objective isn't ready to go yet, the other counselors just aren't trying very hard to escape.

Edit: Hit post too soon.

And yet, despite these problems, this is a good and fun game and like most games, it's only made better by playing with a group. It is possible to forgive or overlook jankiness and problems within a game if it's still fun. Counselors aren't expected to all survive. Hell, unless you call the cops, the counselors can't even all escape.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 21, 2018

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

King Vidiot posted:

How is this a "problem"? It's a deliberate design choice and feature of the traps. Disarmed traps are very easy to miss unless you're just obsessively scouring the map for your trap markers at all times, and traps that counselors step in are marked so that objectives aren't almost impossible for Jason to monitor. Otherwise you'd have people just tripping all the traps and then doing the objectives right afterwards without a care in the world.

Saying that it's a deliberate design choice says nothing about whether or not it's good design. Pocket knives are silent, yet a Jason who is diligent enough to check the map frequently will immediately know when counselors are going for an objective. With the group of friends that I play with, in fact, it's pretty much assumed that any of us as Jason will notice any sprung traps within seconds. This means that, rather than actually using pocket knives to disarm traps, you're generally better off saving the pocket knife and blowing a first aid spray on it.

"Easy to miss" is a really weak argument for balancing when the only thing preventing you from knowing that a trap was sprung is your willingness to actually check the map. And frankly, having counselors willingly tripping the traps (and then spending a first aid and immediately sprinting off) is really effective for letting objectives get done, especially if you do it early.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Skunkrocker posted:

And semi related, but I wanna know: how do they all always have bats? No machetes until Tommy shows up, everything else is bats. No flares, sometimes firecrackers, always bats. If it was a one off game, sure, I'll give you that, but with what's been happening lately with the Uber Jason stuff, not to mention something else I found out recently (someone I know figured out something I can't talk about, don't ask), I would not be surprised at all if these players are simply cheating.

I've seen surprisingly few outright cheaters. The cheats do exist; do a little googling and you can find screenshots of a "3d Radar" that shows labels and distance of counselors/Jason/items, but typically you find teams of players where the counselor player(s) cooperate with "their" Jason by selling out other players, interfering with objective completion, et cetera.

Luck helps with weapon durability, but the amount of durability loss per hit is random. Even Chad can break a bat in a single swing.

Hell, once they changed the way counselor attacks were calculated (only counting for the first impact), Jason became able to reliably grab-kill despite any number of counselors trying to prevent it - if you interpose the grabbed counselor on any incoming strikes, those strikes won't count as hitting Jason and won't break the grab, but will still degrade the weapons. I specifically don't do this as Jason, because it feels so incredibly unfair.

The game is absolutely stacked in Jason's favor (as it should be), but most Jasons aren't prepared to get swarmed by aggressive counselors and you can absolutely delay Jason by brute force long enough to accomplish objectives if you're willing to be ballsy about it.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I know goons tend to do the private match thing. Has anyone been able to play in a group at all since the last patch? The last couple times we tried it was completely impossible to join a game as a group and incredibly weird poo poo would happen like where every group member would get put into a different lobby (and then get booted with a "You were kicked!" message).

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

DeathChicken posted:

I have no clue. Might just be a depth perception problem on my end or something, but they seem to be out of reach by the time Jason finishes his lunge. It's frustrating.

The success/failure of a grab is determined when the grab begins. Think of the grab as being an approximate cone in front of Jason; when you hit the grab button, if there's a counselor within that cone, you get the "successful grab" animation and the counselor is grabbed. If there isn't a counselor within that cone (even if one runs into it a fraction of a second later), you get the "failed grab" animation and no counselor is grabbed, even if it looks like they're running directly into your hands.

This is made more awkward because grabbing a counselor from directly behind is often the hardest grab to do because of the way positions/latency are communicated - general advice for grabbing running counselors is to try and grab directly in front of where they appear to be moving. If you're shifting from directly behind a counselor, however, the disparity between where you and the counselor are and where the server thinks the two of you are can mean that even though on your screen you're literally rubbing up against the sprinting counselor from behind, the moment you go for the grab you miss because the counselor is too far in front of you to be grabbed. This same thing happening in reverse is why also as a counselor sometimes it will appear as if Jason grabbed you from absurdly far away, usually as you just juked and significantly changed your direction.

Anyways, general advice when shift grabbing is don't try and come up directly behind counselors who are moving - put a little bit of a curve into your shift so you end up coming up alongside them at an angle and grab at the area immediately in front of them - I mean like six inches in front of their nose. It should help you land those shift grabs more reliably. Don't lead your grabs too much, though, because they need to be in the "cone" at the moment you start your grab.

  • Locked thread