Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I have come to the conclusion I am awful at anything to do with cars, and being chased by a Jason blaring Waltzing Matilda is the most horrifying and hilarious thing. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
What about if pleb-access to the Savini Jason was time limited, and only available on one of the three following options;

Every Friday
Every week that a Friday the 13th is on
Every Friday the 13th

Seems gimmicky and not-constantly-on enough to not ruin the ~backer-exclusivity~ of the variant.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I just had the most intense game.

It's Camp Hillbrook, or whatever the map with the restrooms is. I'm Chad, and end up finding the car keys, talkie and a baseball bat... just as I hear the four-seater car start up. They must have got extremely lucky, as four out of six counsellors ended up getting in the car, and reversing all the way to the exit. About four minutes in.

Leaving me, Chad, and the other counsellor Buggzy to fend for ourselves against an increasingly annoyed Jason. Thus began a sixteen minute game of cat-and-mouse as I repeatedly told him that I'm not interested in his double glazing. I stunned Jason like, six times, finding a new baseball bat in the small cluster of cabins next to the restrooms, while for some reason the Jason just kept chasing after the Buggzy (probably because he can break out of his grip easily?). He broke down a door, stepped in a trap, and while he was chasing Buggzy some more I moved and re-set the trap in another cabin in which he then stepped on again. The two minute mark appeared.

Eventually as I ran for a baseball bat after my second one broke, Buggzy got caught and eventually neutered on the ground as I watched.

Then as he shifted to try and get a quick grab on me, I quickly walked up a rock that he somehow didn't see me climb... and the time ran out.

God-drat that was an intense match. But in the end, Chad wins.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Just had the strangest glitch let me complete escape Duster and co's attempt to kill me as Jason. Rage was active, and Duster used the sweater next to one of those walls you can walk through. Somehow mashing E to resist the sweater-stun made me skip the resist and just go walking through a wall.

Very strange.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Burkion posted:

We cannot find the gas anywhere, and I decide to check the two seater- only to find it flipped the gently caress over and whoever was unlucky enough to have been driving it had died.

That car was magical. I had no involvement in crashing it, other than trying to grab the driver. I morphed ahead to get ready to crash it, and whoever was driving swerved into a tree. I went for whoever was the flannel shirt dude while Last "I pressed E" Dancer started it again...

At which point it just bounced onto its side. I was crying of laughter at this point so I let them go, they screwed up the car better than I could have :allears:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Burkion posted:

If I was ever certain Duster was going to be Jason going into a match, I would try to coordinate with you guys on killing him.

The problem is that he would know what we were planning and then his house would be a minefield

This is why I use three traps at the Jason-house if Duster's playing a female. :ssh:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Here's JasonView of me nipping a Jason kill attempt in the bud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0euIDZlGuk

I love playing as Jason. :allears:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Skoll posted:

Video was good imo but you kept bringing up the player list during the executions :(

Yeahhhh, I'm a very impulsive "gotta check the scoreboard to see if anyone's escaped/dead/lagging/Duster" player.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Burkion posted:

He's also smart enough to be able to construct a shack, with an oddly clean toilet, out of literal garbage.

Y'know, that's a strange detail. Jason, of all people, still needs to take a poo poo.

Do you think Chad leaves the toilet seat up when he's done

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I was wondering about something like "You start off as Pamela, but if you die you come back as a weaker Jason, coming from the water.".

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Every pun has to be a variant of "ice to meet you" just because it makes no loving sense and Jason just gets confused.

"Pan to meet you"
"Bat to meet you"
"Stick to argh gently caress it he's got me run"

I will forever use the 1984 reference when I use the boot stamp kill as Jason.

Imagine a boot, stomping on your face. Forever. :kheldragar:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Somberbrero posted:

That's the flavor text when you purchase the boot kill.

Yes it is, and I will keep on using it.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
It was me as Tommy. I was as flabbergasted as you as I was there waiting for the Chad to call the cops.

That was also definitely not the same game where I went to get the sweater and instantly died nope.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Grem posted:

Can someone post the steps to kill Jason again? Either we bugged out last night or missed a step between the sweater and the stun. (mask was off)

Grab sweater, take his mask off. Press Q, and Jason freezes in the about to attack pose. Someone then hits him down with a stun-weapon on to his knees (preferably the sweater wearer) and then Tommy stands in front of Jason with either an axe or machete and presses E.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

On the same note, why do people still try to bargain with me?

Hey man, it's not necessarily bargaining as it is "OH GOD WHY ARE YOU HERE I'VE GOTTEN LITERALLY NOTHING LEAVE ME ALOOOOONE" :sweatdrop:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I'm a fan of the "but kids say worse poo poo all the time! :spergin:" argument personally.

I think I'm playing Chad wrong. Twice today I dealt with Jason while everyone else got out in a car, eventually dying for my troubles.

Also holy poo poo Dinictus got picked as Jason SEVEN times tonight. I ended up having to use a list randomizer without him on it to pick Jason towards the end because the game really wanted Din to be Jason.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I think I've jumped more from a Jason than I have any DbD killers. I think it's to do with the amount of options available to Jason as opposed to "Walk. Hit. Pick up. Hook. Special ability" in DbD.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

*Tinfoil Dies*
*Burk Dies*

I tried to help you... by parking the car infront of the fixed phonebox.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

ComposerGuy posted:

So I had to take a hiatus these past two weeks. What have I missed?

I somehow have gotten worse at driving.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Bootcha posted:

And once you morph to the car/boat/fusebox, if you see someone still in the repairing animations, you can chuck a throwing knife at them to interrupt them. I would say you have a better chance of doing this on Vanessa, Bugzy, Chad, or Tiffany. AJ/Deb/LaChap/Tommy tend to be finished with the repair by the time you morph and orient yourself, so it's better to just close the distance for a grab or at the least a good chase, because you want those sneakies dead sooner rather than later.

Never attempt to throw a knife over the corner of a car. It'll never hit.

I hate cars as Jason so much.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

CapnAndy posted:

So while we're on the topic of Pro Jason Tips, anyone got any for actually guarding the drat boat? Traps seem useless, since you can't put them on the dock itself in an actual position to block fixing the boat, just where the ground and the dock meet, and they're trivial to walk around there. It only needs two parts to get operational again, and if there's a "motor started" audio cue for it like there is for the car, I've never noticed it. When I see a boat as Jason I just get resigned that two people are gonna get away, but I've been caught out enough times as a counselor that clearly there is a way to be on top of it.

Stalk, morph into the water near it while it's being fixed. Swim over to it, wait for people to get in, then tip it over.

I love doing this. :unsmigghh:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
They probably will when they do a clientside patch instead of stealth nerfing it serverside.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Lasher posted:

I can assure you it's never been off Jason. :black101::murder:

I was thinking about it more today and I just have lovely luck. Bring on single player. As much fun as the game is counsellor or Jason I went 14 games last night without a single Jason spawn.

Some weird problems tonight. So many lobbies where one person just isn't connecting and it leaves you stuck on the "Waiting for players..." screen with the only option being to quit out.

The way it decides who is Jason has always been... funky. I still remember the eight or so games of Dinictus-Jason in one night.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Friday the 13th the Game lends itself to more of a party-type game where DbD feels like it wants to be esports somehow.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Only if it treated every match/Jason like a Friday the 13th film being reviewed at the box office. And is mostly there for flavour/randomly generated film names/critic quotes.

Friday the 13th: Part 17 - The Finaler Chapter

Featuring Dickdagger as Jason
BJohnson69 as Chad

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I don't think so, but instead they nerfed thick skinned outright so it only lessens damage from Jason's attacks (?)

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Turtlicious posted:

Girlfriend and I love games like this, we were huge fans of Evolved, Damned, all of it. Would you recommend this, or DBD?

Preferably not something that's going to die overnight.

I wrote this wall of text somewhere where someone was asking for opinions on both, expanded on it a bit since;

quote:

Dead by Daylight seems to be entirely focused on the competitive side of the mini-genre - what with the rank system, scores, monthly resets, etc. Because of this, if you're in it more for the "goof around as someone in a horror movie/the killer" angle you can be left a bit wanting. Every round is gonna be the same essentially - you and three survivors repair generators, run/hide from the killer, and occasionally save other survivors (this will not happen most of the time) and eventually escape.

Friday the 13th is much more a social game - what with the amount of co-operation required, the local/walkie-talkie voice chat, and the fact that Jason can also talk and hear everything you say, the game manages to be, for me atleast, that bit more enjoyable, a bit more memorable. I have to say while the matches do tend to all have the same end-point - escaping via car, the cops or just being killed by Jason - the fact there's more to the game than just "repair generator, hide, die/save/escape" means a lot of things can happen over the course of the game. Whether that's the resident Chad stockpiling all the good items in one house, Jason being clowned on by four counsellors with bats, the car randomly flying off into the air... I remember more games of Friday the 13th than Dead by Daylight, honestly.

Bugwise, both games were as equally hosed on launch as the other. They're both generally working better now. As for how the developers handle the community, well... there was all that drama with Friday the 13th where someone was, supposedly, banned for messing with a friend of the developer. However, that was months ago at this point and I believe it all got settled? I didn't really pay much attention to it other than people being babies about it.

I think it helps with Friday the 13th being much more a rotating-server/party like game as opposed to Dead by Daylight's almost Hearthstone-esque system. Most people who get killed in Dead by Daylight end up just quitting. While in Friday the 13th you generally have a bit of incentive to stick around so you can get your XP, but ALSO so you can spawn as Tommy Jarvis and save the day/last remaining players.

Ultimately, they're two fairly different games approaching the genre from different angles - if you're the type of player who enjoys being competitive and isn't just looking for what is essentially Trouble in Terrorist Town the 13th, then you'll probably enjoy Dead by Daylight. If you're looking for a more social game to goof around with, then Friday the 13th is the better option.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Burkion posted:

So at one point Terry, I believe, ran over Venus

I'm not sure if he did it on purpose. Jet was Jason

It didn't really matter if he did it on purpose or not. The fact of the matter was that blood had to be paid with blood.

The others thought they got away. They had trapped Jet leaving him unable to do ANYTHING. The cops had been called. Everything was perfect for them.

So I took the two seater Venus fixed and car jousted them to free Jet and kill as many of them as I could before slamming it into the lake.

There were no survivors.

The best part of that match was when I grabbed Terry, held him in front of the car and basically yelled at Voodoo to drive forward, killing Terry. Cars are amazing. :allears:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Not unless you're a vengeful Tommy Jarvis who might have suffered a fatal Burk-related accident.

Then it's fair game :unsmigghh:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Comfortador posted:

Ok so all you Jason masters that think there shouldn't be a stun cool down. What is your strategy for 5 Chads with wrenches? Literally that was the only group left, they were coordinated. It was all in fun, I was having fun with them but seriously guys. Jason shouldn't be able to be stunned 20 times without some penalty.

I know you guys (tinfoil and others) are masters at this game, but I'm not. Stuff like that shouldn't even be allowed to happen.

edit: My bad, 4 Chads and a Tommy.

Get into combat mode and block - if you're lucky one of their hits won't count and it'll let you swing at 'em.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Danaru posted:

:toot: I was wondering about this since I know the current intros are pre-rendered. Looks like that engine upgrade will let them do the intros in real time

I think they stopped being pre-rendered with the Jarvis House map update. I remember around then having my game glitch out and having the intro letters appear on the map somewhere at Higgins.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Regrettable posted:

I'm 99% positive they were never pre-rendered to begin with. They just used the default models and textures for everyone AFAIK.

Nah, there were definitely .bik files.

I remember planning to replace the Part 3 one with a suitably 8-bit/NES one but both :effort: and worries of it being frowned upon by Easy Anti-Cheat meant I did nothin'.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Stalk is actually the best ability. Stalk, morph, I'm pretty sure they don't get the telltale VHS effect of you teleporting.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the thing is, i don't think you can clone this game, because 99% of why it works is the license and the slavish care and devotion to it. if you take Jason out of this, you get Dead by Daylight, which is complete and utter rear end.

Nah, Dead by Daylight is just too rigid a game. Every round is way too predictable. Where as this has plenty of moving parts... so easily more things can go wrong :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

drrockso20 posted:

This is definitely the experience I've had trying out Dead by Daylight today, the Killer is downright pathetic in comparison to Jason, like I'm lucky to get one kill in the former, while as Jason I'm usually able to get at least two or three people minimum before a round ends

I think what also plays in Friday's favour is the fact that, while Jason is rightly powerful, you can somewhat defend yourself in a way that isn't just dropping a pallet in front of him and running away.

• Locked thread