Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Xbox One has been spotty since Friday but when it works god drat is this game fun.

I need more people to play with so add me Twiggystickboy. I need less 12 year olds yelling "Cuck" as they're murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rolled the perk that gives you a map at the start of the match. That with the light foot perk and the one that makes you invisible to Jason in sense mode are amazing with AJ and the girl with glasses.

Played a match today where I made it to the boat with gas, propeller already there. Jumped in and started heading towards the bridge calling on the walkie for everyone to get down to the bridge.

Jason appears and drowns me.

I come back as Tommy. Everyone is spread out and heading for the car, but I see two heading for the boat. I head towards them assuming Jason is right around them. I get to the shore, they bail out of the boat and swim away. I'm confused and then Jason appears behind me and knocks my head off.

I've had one game as Tommy where I almost saved everyone :(

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So regarding boatchat, are you able to morph into the water as Jason?

I haven't tried it but I'm sure you can. You can shift into water for sure.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Snatch Duster posted:

Adam train baby.

Is Adam really that good? I know his stats are fairly average across the board and I've got enough perks to bonus just about any stat.

Better question, is he a better character for "Go do poo poo" matches, because as much as I enjoy playing stealth runs with AJ, running around and actually doing stuff as Chad has been super fun, but he dies way too easily when he's scared.

Also playing with Goons is way better than the randos I've been rolling with this weekend. Every Jason has been hilarious in some way.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Snatch Duster posted:

His stats seem middling but they are what carry him. He can do everything chad can, he can repair just fine, and if you know how to manage your stam you can run for days and out wit non-running Jason.

Edit: on repairs you get 3 - 5 nodes to hit, most of the time 3. With a bat he will always stun, and half the time knockout jason. he can sprint from Haggins House to the barn without losing half stam.

God drat. I guess I'll be rolling with Adam next time I play.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

Is there many goons playing this on Xbox? It looks appealing but I dunno if I'd want to play without people that will communicate. I just hope the learning curve isn't as bad as Evolve was, I gave up on that once my trial was up.

We had a good game going last night. Look for Friday the Goonteenth in clubs.

If you manage to roll the map perk, it's a god send at the start of the match to know exactly where the major poo poo is.

My one perfect game as Jason I played totally silent and played more on scaring the poo poo out of everyone before going apeshit and murdering them all. Silent runs are super fun, but I do really enjoy a Jason who says something funny as he's chasing you.

I did one run where my Jason was proclaiming the good word of the lord.

"I just want to know if you've accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?" :murder:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

AlliedBiscuit posted:

It always seems like everyone from Friday the Goonteenth is in bed by the time I get on. Stupid Pacific time zone.

Also add us to the OP for Xbox: DG Stryker and MPhazard.

Nice, more west coasters to play with. I'm pretty sure I shot you a friend request yesterday.

Oh yeah toss me in the OP for Xbox: Twiggystickboy

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Carebearz posted:

there is this savage guy named Friend Computer who is also quite dashing reminding people that they are salty babies.

:justpost: the screenshots. I don't actually want to wade through all those tears.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

404notfound posted:

Does anybody like playing as Kenny? I feel like middle-of-the-road stats don't end up being very useful, since you're not particularly suited in any one area to take on/avoid Jason.

Is Kenny the dude in the leather jacket or the black dude? I haven't unlocked the leather jacket yet and I want to play him strictly on aesthetics alone, but I did play a game with the other dude and he was pretty good. His speed and strength were pretty good if I'm remembering correctly, but I don't think I got to play him long before the game crashed and I went back to AJ.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Lesson learned: if you play cheesy 80's music when you're playing as Jason everyone will friend request you, BUT if one of those songs is Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up" people will rage quit when you corner them.

"I'm not letting you kill me to that loving song!!!"

I was planning on just reading the lyrics to that song as my game chat next time I played Jason. Sing the chorus as I murder people of course.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Rage mode on.

Turn on stalk.

Warp to cabin full of counselors.

"You think you know me..."

Burst through the front door as soon as the guitar hits.

Should have used Jericho's theme. God drat it I need some Jason's playing wrestling themes now.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think they should keep the opening cinematic, shorten it but never show which Jason it is and leave it ambiguous. I also think they should add Roy as well.

Leaving the intro ambiguous is more in line with the films and it would heighten the tension because now you don't know which Jason it is so you don't know how they're going to approach things or what they're capable of until they're really close. It'd also be fun running into people or having someone jump into your cabin screaming which Jason it is.

I also think that the cop mechanic should be changed: make it so that two players spawn back as the cops and drive into the camp allowing them to save anyone left but they can't leave unless they have one other person. Also make them fat and bad at sprinting so it's not just like Tommy Jarvis. Cops getting killed is a staple in horror films and you don't get that in the game, plus it would give Jason more people to kill and keep players who died/escaped early on more to do if they're not picked in the Tommy Jarvis roll and keep more players involved in the game for longer. There's a ton of down time if you get off'd quickly and that sucks.

This all sounds great. I'd actually like a bit more variety in the opening cinematic. I don't mind the "Everyone just hanging out around the campfire" bit, and the cries of "CHIP NO!" as the dude gets murdered were the highlight of the last batch of games I played, but considering Packaneck (I think?) has that big rear end house right there in the opening, why not set the opening in there and have poor Chip get tossed through a window.

That brings the idea someone else had earlier when they talked about how the window toss in the movies is typically just a jump scare (although he does toss a couple people out windows in a few of the movies. Part 7 I think for sure, and there's the debate about the dog in 4) and would really spice up the opening cinematic.

Adding Pamela and Roy would make for an interesting change up in gameplay, and since we're spitballing stuff we'd like to see, why not add kid Tommy. Sure, you can call Tommy in, but sometimes, for some reason, you get tiny Feldman in his little yellow raincoat running around trying to help. Hell, you could even give him the machete death sequence as a new way to kill Jason.

Also I want Uber Jason and more maps really bad. Give me a "Manhattan (Vancouver)" alley/street map or the boat from part 8, the ship from Jason X. Really a little more flavor with the maps would be really nice.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yoooo, that's a good idea. Or what about another intro where they're all inside a cabin and the door opens and shows chip who stumbles in and falls down revealing a machete in his back causing everyone to run?

I think kid Tommy could add to the gameplay but I doubt they want to have Jason murder a child in the game.
Oh believe me, I know they'd never actually get tiny Feldman in the game, but I think it would own bones if it did.

Mister Bup posted:

License-wise they were only able to get Tommy as a side-deal with his actor. None of the other characters are doable without further licensing shenanigans.

And yeah. The game only scraped by with an M-rating and they had to cut out the nudity (nude texture files in the files still if you're into naked people's skins stretched out) to get there. There won't be a kid tommy.

I figured they probably had to work something out with the guy who played Tommy. Glad they went with the guy who played him in Part 6 instead of whoever the gently caress played him in 5. Not my Tommy.

Realistically speaking, they could probably get Roy into the game in his Jason get up, which would mean you could essentially do away with the whole "Tommy kills Jason" sequence entirely because the sweater wouldn't work on him. Then again Roy is just a dude, much like Pamela. I feel like Betsy Palmer (if she's still alive) would probably be willing to work something out to get her likeness in the game, or they could just do what Freddy vs Jason did and just recast her completely, although considering the level of fan service in this game it might rub some people the wrong way. Then again the people who are being salty on steam probably wouldn't give a poo poo one way or the other if Pamela looked like Betsy Palmer or not.

Much like the MPAA, the ESRB has to be dickholes about a little blood and nudity. I'm not saying we need a sex mini game or anything, but I think someone mentioned adding Vice modifiers to the game, like getting high, having sex, taking a shower etc that would boost the counselor, which would be pretty drat cool, but this is also a game that's flooded with screechy voiced teenagers who would spend entire matches in the shower to look at the nude models.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

This would make them easy prey in a way that's totally in line with what would happen in the movies, so I'd be cool with it.

Oh believe me, it would be hilarious, not only because it would be accurate to the movies, but the unholy down pouring of screeching when they get murdered on voice chat would be delightful :kheldragar:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Tiffany thinks she has the best rear end. She is incorrect.

Chad does

I love that Chad has become what he is. I need to get him in my rotation more and stop trying to help the filthy plebes. There is only the Chad.

Chad did net me my first sleeping bag death so that was pretty cool.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

D0ct0rAlanGrant posted:

Love playing with goons. Wish you could fit more people on the boat but its still funny. This has quickly risen up to be one if my favorite games! If your on xbox hit me up, usually every night we have full games RDS DrAlanGrant.

My Dude. I'll be jumping on either tonight after work or tomorrow for sure. This game is so good with goons.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I got to listen to a rando bitch at length last night about how Jason is too OP now and how his grip is bullshit.

I've noticed his grip is harder to get out of, but that could just be that my stats are hosed at that point.

It's wasn't worth the ranting I listened to though.

Adam is in fact loving amazing, although he's loud as hell. I hosed a game as Deborah because I tried to save someone. Had the boat fixed and left the dude in a closet because he wouldn't leave. Tried to go track down another player nearby without a headset then was murdered getting back into the boat.

Playing with people who don't have headsets sucks.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's kind of incredible seeing the initial "OMG THIS GAME ISN'T FAIR JASON IS TOO STRONG!!!!!" outcry turn into "Jason needs to be faster and have special group-kill powers or ranged weapons because the counselors are always winning"

So what your saying is people should just git gud.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

scrubs season six posted:

I played a couple rounds and then went on vacation and just got back. Any news/patches/rules changes? Are goons mostly doing pickup games or forming groups?

Patch came out this week that fixed some stuff, but also made Jason OP or too weak, depending on who's complaining.

Xbox has Friday the Goonteenth as a club and names in the OP. Pretty sure there's a steam group too and maybe one for PS4 but I'm not sure.

Private match still seems to be the most stable way to play as quick match apparently isn't still not quick.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Jesus Christ the people I've played with.

I watched two counselors have a fight to the death. Not sure why but we all watched. It was kinda great. Then we tried to kill Jason but everyone was talking over each other and the poor guy playing Tommy swung the machete instead of hitting the prompt. We were shortly massacred.

Next game the obnoxious poo poo I'd muted was Jason. I spawn outside the cabin with the phone. I find the fuse inside. Fix the phone and watch as four counselors escape with the car. I call the cops and figure I'll wait him out, gently caress him and his constant begging to be Jason and million dumb questions about the movies.

I hide in a closet watching the map. The other two counselors are waiting at one of the exits. A tricky gamble but it pays off and they escape. I pop out and start my run down the road to the cops, flare gun in hand. Jason is standing there waiting. I pop him with the flare and run past. Clean sweep. All I hear in post game chat is laughing and people clowing on the dude who is apparently screaming about how they lied to him about setting him up for a Jason death scene. He gets kicked from the game.

This game is kinda terrible when played with teenagers.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

My issue with Adam is the same as Buggzy, loud as hell. I don't have much time playing as Adam, but with Bugz it seemed like my games were all "spawn, run/search for a minute, face jason, stall, die first"

Adam is loud as hell but he works well if you play him as a tank. Just grab a bat, try to fix something then gently caress up Jason when you see him.

Also not enough love for Deborah. She's fast, she's stealthy and she's got great repair. You want her running around if you're playing counselors.

I've had a couple matches come down to me and Jason as both AJ and Deborah. If you play it smart you can sometimes survive while actually finding stuff towards the end but it ain't easy.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Carebearz posted:

I mean, if you want to be technical, you getting killed first as Buggzy, it perfectly captures the fact that black people always died first in those movies.

That's actually incorrect.

If I'm remembering correctly the first time we have a black character show up in the FT13 movies is part 5 and he doesn't die till much later in the movie.

Also being a horror nerd in a lobby with pubbies who know jack poo poo about the franchise babbling about it really bothered me more than it should have but god drat it Tommy shows up in 3 movies proper. I'm not counting his flashback in the beginning of 7 :colbert:

How hard is it for these loving pubbies to just watch the movies or read the wiki pages instead of asking a billion dumb qquestions that could be resolved in a 2 minute Google search.

I'm the idiot whose mad about a 30 year old slasher franchise.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Unbalanced posted:

Where does this come from exactly? Based on the horror movies I've seen this seems like something that gets repeated so often everyone just assumes it's true. I mean, regarding three of the big horror franchises (F13, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween) off the top of my head I can think of one black character who dies first. I can't think of any others right now either. I've hardly seen every horror movie out there, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's been repeated a billion times and I'm really not sure where it started because most of the slashers of the 80s (at least early on) were fairly lily white as far as cast is concerned. I've been looking for this mythical "Black guy dies first" movie but I honestly can't remember a single one where it's happened.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

In one of the like, 50 million slapped together tie-in comics to horror franchises, Tommy Jarvis, Nancy Thompson and the psychic girl from part 7 are the leaders of a ragtag group that's out to hunt and permanently end Freddy and Jason. That was neat.

That would have made for a much more interesting FvJ than what we actually got. Then again I'm all about survivor characters going kinda nuts and hunting down the villain.

I'm still kinda bummed Peter Jackson's draft of Final Nightmare was scrapped. I thought the idea of Freddy being so weak that teenagers are purposefully dragging themselves to sleep to go beat up the boogeyman would have been an interesting premise.

Also probably a lot better than what we got with Freddy's Dead.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Carebearz posted:

because pubbies

Accurate. This was the game where I needed up muting the dude for being obnoxious. Pubbies are either awesome or terrible and I keep getting dumped into games with terrible ones

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hockles posted:

There's a bunch in a list here, but none are that iconic to me.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackDudeDiesFirst

Yeah I could maybe give Alien or The Shining the nod there, but I've always heard it in reference to slashers.

Then again they completely ignored the blaxslpotation movies of the 70's, and Blackula starts with the leads death.

loving TV Tropes.

BBTW Blackula is way better than a movie called Blackula has any right to be.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Justin Godscock posted:

The black character dying in every film is usually the cliche not that they are the first to go (at least how I learned it)

What F13 did is just have the same ideas in every film they did. There is always a stoner character, the horny couple, the black guy, the nerd, etc. and it becomes so very obvious if you ever marathon the films like I did one Halloween.

This. Strap in for a spergin boys:

The Scream franchise was actively mocking the tropes of the genre while also playing into them. Which is why the first two movies are good (I'll defend the end of 2) and 3/4 go off the rails so hard.

Friday set the template by blatantly ripping off Halloween (Victor Miller the screenwriter admits it) and then made crazy money for its budget. Which lead to the slashers bookm of the 80s. If you strip them down, it's a group of kids somewhere where adults can't help. Throw in a masked killer and you've got yourself an 80's slasher.

The game nails the feeling of being in the last 20 minutes of a Friday movie when it's not a bunch of power gaming pubbies.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

If you really want to nerd out about all this stuff, check out some 70's Italian horror, specifically Mario Bava and Dario Argento. The slasher boom of the 80's absolutely would not have existed if not for giallo. I'd be happy to list a few recommendations for anyone who's curious about delving into some of the more iconic of those films.

Way ahead of you there. Love Argento despite his often flawed filmography, and Bava managed to make the sound of a dripping faucet deeply unnerving for a couple weeks after seeing Black Sabbath (the Italian cut is much better than the American cut)

I was basically Randy from Scream through most of my late teens and early 20s.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

Growing up, before I'd ever seen a Friday the 13th movie or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, my family used to go take these spooky Halloween hayrides where volunteers would pop out and scare you. Well, they ALWAYS had a guy with the Jason hockey mask, and he ALWAYS carried a chainsaw because the sound of it right next to the cart was really jarring and was great at scaring little kids, as opposed to just carrying a fake machete which wouldn't make any noise at all. I wonder if a lot of other people had similar experiences and ended up conflating the two characters because of that.

I think it's one of those pop culture things where the hockey mask has become iconic for Jason, so whenever you see a character with a hockey mask you think Jason, while Leatherface and his Chainsaw are more easily pointed to by fans, lots of folks have never actually seen any of these movies.

Hell, I was talking about the game to a friend and she mentioned she had to look up the plot of the first movie because she'd never seen any of them.

Which seems crazy because I remember the big 3 slashers popping up on cable throughout the late 90's and 00s around Halloween time. Hell that's how I saw the Friday's for the first time before I just watched them all over the course of a couple weeks from Blockbuster.

Also The Simpsons did the hockey mask/chainsaw bit during the episode where they go into witness protection.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It goes off the rails pretty quick, but yeah, the premise is great.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. Hell FvJ goes off the rails pretty quickly too. I'll give it credit, until the cornfield rave it's pretty good, and then it just spirals up its own rear end so hard that I've never been able to actually enjoy it.

Jason Goes to Hell on the other hand is pretty dumb from jump and makes me love it. Plus Creighton Duke owns and I want him as DLC. :getin:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

I was rooting for him near the end for being a badass.

Right? He's legit the best part of the hilariously terrible Exorcist rip off "Abbey" if you've never seen it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

blackula is actually a pretty great movie with a good moral about racism. mamuwalde is a good sympathetic character & badass vampire.

The sequel wasn't awful either and had Pam Grier in it. JD's Revenge is another good one that you absolutely should not watch the trailer for. The trailer makes it seem like it's going to be campy as hell and it's really not. Solid possession/revenge movie.

Don't watch Blackenstein, it's awful.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fosson posted:

I keep seeing talk of an abandoned camp map the devs are wanting to do. Is that like before Part 1 when Pamela killed the first two counselors?

No that happens at Camp Crystal Lake. I think an "Abandoned Camp" map would likely be similar to one of the current camp maps, but everything is busted and broken down, so as a gameplay change I could see having it be a group sneaking into an abandoned camp then having to fix generators and such before you could really do anything.

You'd probably need to change Jason's starting power because with Morph he could basically end the game before it starts using the method described by winning Goon Jason players. Maybe you get sense first or something, or the powers all generate in a different order than usual for that map.

It could be interesting to see a gameplay change up like that, but I feel like it would just be ignored by the pubbies.

Or it will literally just be a map that's a camp that looks hosed up and it'll be the same exact gameplay and it'll still be fun.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Snatch Duster posted:

tiffany is bae

I just unlocked her and was about to play her but everyone in the group wanted a "No doubles" run so I played Adam.

And died because of loving CHAD.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Grem posted:

How does hiding in closets ever work? I always make some breathing noise or something. Other people is see hide in there the entire match.

You basically have to hide really far away from Jason to not trigger the breathing sound. You're supposed to hold your breath if he's near by.

I've never actually used hide successfully to get away from Jason, I usually break it out if I need to answer a text or something like that. I'm pretty sure your stealth and composure both play a part.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Jinkeez posted:

Thank you, but I don't mean the fuse item - I mean the actual phone you interact with to call the police - I couldn't find it anywhere. Later in the match, someone did call the police, so it must've been around somewhere, but I felt like a doof for not being able to track it down myself.

They may need to adjust the interaction prompt for stuff because it can be super easy to walk right past stuff, even with a flashlight on. I don't mind missing a weapon out in the forest, but the phone being hard to find (because it's small and blends in) is annoying and not in a "Oh well panicked teenagers" kinda way and more just a "Why did you make it so loving tiny?!"

E: has anyone else had other players bitch about using the melee attack as Jason? I've had a couple of games where I was told that I was "Being a bitch" and "Cheesing" the game because I used a melee attack to weaken up the other players.

Yes they were pubbies, but is this like a thing? Where you just decide to not use a function of the game because reasons?

Because it's really dumb that Jason players would just abandon a useful mechanic because "Reasons"

I'm honestly waiting to hear someone say the throwing knives are OP and shouldn't be used.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 6, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

What gets me is people moaning that they die too fast and have to sit there watching other people for 20 minutes when I've escaped as a counsellor real fast a few times and... Do they complain then as well?

Yes.

Admittedly I give an "Oh for fucks sake" or something if I die super early on, but if Jason is being cool/funny while he does it, I'll play along and add my own death sound effects. Then I spend the rest of the match in "Dead Guy Chat" and laugh at the stupid poo poo the rest of the players are doing. Not saying dying early doesn't kinda suck, but that's how it goes sometimes, and especially since you basically can't escape without a pocket knife at this point, dying super early does suck, but considering I've been playing with a lot of pubbies/randos I've added to my friends list who weren't complete morons, if I die early it means I can duck out for a smoke or something.

The people who beg to be Jason or spend the rest of the match pissing and moaning about how they died are the worst. There was some absurd drama in a game last night where someone died in the first 15 seconds, then next round blasted the dude who played Jason the previous round with a shotgun as revenge.

The screaming argument that broke out in the chat was both hilarious and really, really sad.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

Tommy Jarvis is a delusional, extremely lucky moron and being around him is basically a death sentence.

If we consider this game canon then his character is even more hilarious. Hey yea, now I'm a Jason hunter!!! This gun with one bullet will totally do the job!

Well, all the guns are one shots in the game because video games.

You are correct that Tommy is pretty delusional and basically a really hosed up kid. It's his fault Jason is back at all after part 6 because he couldn't just leave well enough alone.

I suppose you could say Tommy attempting to kill Jason in the game is just a continuation of his work in 6, which is "OH gently caress I BROUGHT HIM BACK NOW I MUST STOP HIM".

Personally when I get Tommy I try to play him as helping out whoever is still there, including calling the cops if I find the fuse.

Tommy should probably not survive any matches though, I do agree with that.

I still want some Creighton Duke DLC. :black101:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Burkion posted:

I really have to wonder if there was some self loathing involved there.

The Friday movies were far, far better in every regard than the movies he personally wrote.

The Friday movies took the brunt of the MPAA fury (and this is speculation) because Paramount was backing them. Most of the other slashers we see that popped up in the 80's are all random production companies you've never heard of, until New Line stepped in with Nightmare and started making some real noise. Granted, I think Paramount may have also distributed some other slashers through the decade, but Friday was pretty firmly a "Paramount Production" until New Line snagged it after Manhattan, and from what is said in various docs about the franchise, Paramount hated the Friday movies because they were slashers, but they loved that slasher money that was rolling in.

If you've not watched "Crystal Lake Memories" or "His Name was Jason" you're really missing out. "His Name" is much more inline with your typical "Hey here's a doc about this series of movies" and doesn't dig as deep as the 8 hour (!!!!) "Crystal Lake Memories" does. That along with the book of the same title are basically your definitive history of the franchise and while I have the book and haven't cracked into it yet, I've watched the entirety of the doc and it's really entertaining and interesting.

I'd recommend both, and "Never Sleep Again" which is I believe 4 hours long, but has a ton of great info about the Nightmare franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Burkion posted:

Man I am getting annoyed by people complaining the game looks like 'an elaborate mod' of Dead by Daylight.

They are so fundamentally different, it's just baffling to me.

I haven't played DBD because lol my computer sucks, but having spent a chunk of time actually playing this and having watched some DBD videos in the past, I feel like this game does the "Slasher vs Victims" idea way better than what I saw from DBD which was a whole lot of uninteresting maps and the hook mechanic thing to kill people which seemed like it would get really, really boring after a while.

I did catch the Honest Trailer for this game yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7wr4oPQy4 and the lines "Then get abandoned or run over by your teammates" regarding the car had me chuckling, and while I rolled my eyes at the "It's really just DBD" bit, the "You're basically playing hide and seek for adults" is spot on and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Hell, I'd say that's a big part of why I really enjoy the game. I'd rather run around the map for 5-10 minutes trying to solve an objective to try and escape than just find everything and get away right at the start. It's just more fun to sneak around and know Jason is out there somewhere. Unless the Jason player sucks in which case it's kinda poo poo, although with the unbreakable grip, I don't understand how even the worst Jason can't manage to kill at least one counselor.

DLC Inc posted:

maybe it's just me but I love using sewerboy Part 7 Jason for the enhanced senses and water speed ain't that bad either--sometimes I use it as a shortcut around the water area to move places faster and juke people loving around near the edge. shame most people in games don't try swimming often (maybe because finding the propeller is sometimes less likely than car battery/gas, plus gas usually will be closer to a car) but man when you catch someone near the water and one-hit KO them, it owns.

Boat Chat: The propeller is a motherfucker to find, because it's tiny and as I've complained before, the interaction button window is a bit finicky, like all the hit detection in this game, so unless you happen to be standing at just the right angle to notice it glitter you'll probably totally miss it. Kinda like the ax that spawns in the graveyard, I didn't know it was there until I saw a video of someone picking it up.

I've noticed that most of the games I've played don't have the boat, although I do like trying to go for the boat escape when I can, but basically as soon as Jason knows you're in the water, you're basically totally hosed, unless he's busy murdering the other guy in the boat and you manage to get to shore, which I almost did once.

• Locked thread