Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHV4PmDyglc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is immensely boring and I love these guys.

I don't know what to tell you, loving up a perfect escape because you don't understand how to play video games is hilarious to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TBH I think the nerd girl should be frumpier. Every Friday movie has a dumpy girl to contrast the sexy ones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

You could argue that's all there were in the first movie!

I kid, I kid.

Aw come on, no one looks good with such bad lighting and 70s hair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In the first draft of the script for the original he was explicitly a pedophile, but Wes Craven was like "Eh that detracts from the themes of the film, let's just strongly imply it".

I always kind of figured he was one as a kid but that they never directly said it because it would be really gross in a series that's 15% horror and 85% wacky puns.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The tongue is in your butt cheek.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

Pedophilia isn't a mental illness. Take your liberal gbs bullshit somewhere else you loving creep.

:eyepop:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Part 9 is also the first movie to try and make Jason an actual creature of evil, which is why despite the kickass fbi kill intro, it's the worst of the jason movies by far. The movie fundamentally alters the nature of the character people love and takes it from mundane/supernatural horror to out and out fantasy silliness. The best things about it are the hosed up jason design and the stinger at the end that led to freddy vs jason.

They were obviously trying to go for a Freddy thing (it's New Line, after all) but the Freddy movies that built up his mythos and connected him to hell were also kind of bad and not well received so I'm not sure why they thought this was a good idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Someone post Jason movie power rankings.

FVJ Jason is up there. They really play up his unkillability and super strength in order to make the fights more interesting and superheroish. Just like how Freddy's some kind of ninja in the real world for no reason at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I love the pre-cyborg jason in jason X. It's such a good looking, fairly realistic jason. Much better outfit than the shirt and slacks look we saw jason in when he was alive in the other movies.

Jason just wearing some farmhand clothes is great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The remake is so boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the reasons I dislike Part 6 is that they made Tommy Jarvis so dull compared to the loving weirdo he was in 5.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a strong implication that part 7 Jason is powered by the girl's psychic abilities which is why he's so ridiculously OP.

The whole psychic wish gone wrong thing was a much better way to bring Jason back from the dead than the stupid lightning bolt in Part 6 and I really wish it was how Jason had initially become undead. Like literally anything would've been better than a lightning bolt.

Man, Part 6 is lame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alteisen posted:

The remake is awesome.

Though the main thing about is that it lacks camp, the remake just made Jason be a big scary motherfucker which i enjoyed a lot, it was an interesting take on the character.

It's pretty much the same movie as the equally boring TCM remake by the same director, just without the evil sheriff. Remake Jason is basically Fast Zombies and he has no personality, he's just a big guy that moves fast and then kills you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If part 7 wasn't so massacred by the MPAA it'd be my favorite film in the series. They were really cracking down on gore at the time, TCM3 also got it really hard and had to remove entire scenes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Part 6 is the most watchable Friday movie outisde of Freddy vs Jason.

Yeah, that's a scrub opinion all right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I could be getting my bad movies confused but isn't the remake the one where the money shot of the boobs are very obviously not real breasts and just some kinda prop?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite line in the remake is "It even curves to the left like my penis".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wonder what a Ms. Vorhees killer would be like. It'd probably not really work since she was pretty easy to kill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Earlier in the thread, someone had the idea that she could be easily killable but have access to a bow and her music wouldn't kick in until she attacks someone.

That'd be neat! And she could have more traps.

And a move where she murders someone's beloved pet snake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

There's a scene in X where we cut to a pair of boobs, but the nipples fall off. It's the stoner dude trying to turn the android into a sex-bot.

Nah that's not what I'm talking about. I have a distinct memory of watching a lovely modern horror movie where they cut to someone's breasts, but it's clearly an actress wearing a not-too-convincing prosthetic so she doesn't have to show her actual breasts, then the rest of the scene is shot to avoid showing anything. I think it was the remake but it could be a completely unrelated film from around the same time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fair enough, I watch a ton of lovely horror movies all the time so I'm not surprised I get confused sometimes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

Pamela as a killer was one of their stretch goals that failed to be met.

So... maybe as DLC?

God drat, all those stretch goals we didn't get sound awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Carebearz posted:

I mean, if you want to be technical, you getting killed first as Buggzy, it perfectly captures the fact that black people always died first in those movies.

The only time a black character dies first in a Friday the 13th movie is part 9, and even then Jason technically dies before him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unbalanced posted:

Where does this come from exactly? Based on the horror movies I've seen this seems like something that gets repeated so often everyone just assumes it's true. I mean, regarding three of the big horror franchises (F13, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween) off the top of my head I can think of one black character who dies first. I can't think of any others right now either. I've hardly seen every horror movie out there, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The actual stereotype, which is accurate, is that black people are almost never the final survivors and rarely make it to the third act in slashers or creature features. This is partly a result of these kinds of movies mostly being a bunch of white people, and the fact that black leads are still to this day a difficult sell to studios.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In one of the like, 50 million slapped together tie-in comics to horror franchises, Tommy Jarvis, Nancy Thompson and the psychic girl from part 7 are the leaders of a ragtag group that's out to hunt and permanently end Freddy and Jason. That was neat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

There are a lot of horror tropes--I hate using the word, but sometimes it's the only one for the job--that don't actually reflect the movies at all, but sprang into existence from popular imagination or some offhand joke

Jason never uses a chainsaw in any of the films, and yet most people think he uses one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

That would have made for a much more interesting FvJ than what we actually got. Then again I'm all about survivor characters going kinda nuts and hunting down the villain.

It goes off the rails pretty quick, but yeah, the premise is great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Manhattan should let you hide in trash cans and dumpsters and come up with a new way for Jason to kill you in them.

Maybe decapitation via dumpster lid?

Heck yeah, Madworld style!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDksR2aeNRc&t=900s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

...! posted:

5 isn't even a Jason movie at all.

Jason is in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvtIj_sPwU

Apparently someone saw this dream sequence and thought it should be the plot of an actual film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Coolguye posted:

So much so that Edgar in FF6 will pull a hockey mask out of nowhere when using his chainsaw sometimes

There's this forgettable early 90s anime set in space where one of the lower deck crew is Jason and he has a hockey mask and a chainsaw. And the gag is that he's actually harmless.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I Greyhound posted:

I think I need to get with the goon group, because every single quickmatch has resulted in another counselor trying to betraykill me. Last match it was right by the police, and I was able to limp to safety, and then watch as they tried it as Tommy came by, whiffed, and he gave them a facefull of buckshot.

And this is something you want less of?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jason being able to constantly stomp out the car is bad and dumb.

It should total the car and also stun Jason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alteisen posted:

gently caress its down already, says I'm not allowed to view it. :negative:

ALWAYS WHEN I'M IN CLASS. :argh:

Drop out and get serious about your gaming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lol I had a dream this game's servers shut down due to low sales. This is the kind of thing an old man dreams about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of the game's many, many bugs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This game may have more jank than references to the films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

One thing that's shockingly easy to forget is that Jason is a white guy.

Uh, is it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

It's not something I really think about all that often because, again, most of the movies he's in, he's not white. He's not any skin color. Like, my mental image of Jason is Part 7 Jason, who is black/grey. That's the movie I watched the most as a kid and the design I love the most. It's not any huge thing or shocking revelation, just an idle thought.

Though I do remember being pleasantly surprised he was finally blonde in the remake. Never understood where red head Jason came from.

Part 2 Jason is pretty ambiguously haired. He's right in between blonde and red. Add some VHS fuzz, and...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lakeview Cabin lets you gently caress to summon slashers and that game rules.

• Locked thread