Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm betting that book is gonna generate some funny summaries from readers on both sides of the aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If that woman has half a brain she won't want to get involved in the dumpster fire that is presidential election. I imagine her life is prolly already pretty drat rad.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I laughed pretty hard when that lady was doing all the same hand gestures.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Could somebody who's reading the book post some funny poo poo from it? The usual political slapfights are far less entertaining than funny poo poo from the book would be.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

lol I like how she interviewed with the wrong journalist and then eyeballed the poor broad like it was her fault.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I trust Iran with nukes more than I trust the N.Koreans with them.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I also don't give a poo poo about Syria, but I've got no problem with us bombing the poo poo out of fundamentalist assholes like ISIS or any jerks using chemical weapons because not doing so sets a bad precedent and fundamentalist psychos like ISIS shouldn't be allowed to dig in any further than they already have.

Do I think an invasion is in order? Hell no.

VikingSkull posted:

one of these is involved in a proxy war against the US while supporting terrorist organizations and one is not

I agree but I worry less about Iran's leadership, as opposed to N.Korea's insane dictator just up and popping a nuke off because they feel threatened by a military exercise or something. I'm more speaking strictly to the idea of N. Korea having nukes which is what's got the current poo poo stirred up so bad recently.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 20, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

this thread, i declare it "good"

I gotta say this is one of the more reasonable political threads I've seen in a long, long time.

Orkin Mang posted:

so what do u hip dudes think of trans people and abortions

Not my problem personally and everybody should just be able to do what they want and be left the gently caress alone.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I think you mean extremist.

You're probably right that just fundamentalist wasn't the appropriate word.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

answer me this question: why would North Korea want to provoke an armed response? what does North Korea have to gain from armed conflict?

israel sank the USS Liberty in cold blood, should we bomb them too?

I think the liberty is kind of a pointless question for a couple reasons. For one, it happened 50 years ago so who gives a poo poo anymore. Two, both us and the israelis determined its sinking to be an accident. There are those, including survivors, that say it was deliberate. In my opinion debating which of the two sides is true or arguing some cover-up or whatever is firmly in the conspiracy theory realm so it's pretty extreme to even suggest that we should/should've bombed them as a response to what has been determined to be an accident.

I don't think the case of the liberty is even remotely comparable to what's going on in Syria or N.Korea.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Reminder that Israel successfully mad dogged the mad dog and successfully threatened Nixon with the Samson Option when it looked like they might lose the Yom Kippur War. Yet we're totally OK with them having nukes.

I don't trust Israel with nukes either, but they're fully nuclear capable already and that's not gonna change. N.Korea isn't there yet.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

what does North Korea have to gain by forcing a military response?

the answer is "absolutely nothing"

if you're relying on "nation is just suicidal/they hate us for our freedoms" then congratulations, you're an idiot

I never said that at all. What I've said is I don't trust KJU to not take extreme measures regardless of his reasons. I think it'd be cool if a country that occasionally tries to provoke an armed response doesn't have nuclear weapons at their disposal.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

i completely trust israel with nukes, basically from the belief that they're a total US protectorate. I guarantee they've had nukes for years before it was public

Yeah you can bet your rear end they've had nukes for a good long time. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hell yeah dude. If you come across anything else interesting toss it out there. I sure as hell aren't going to buy that book but I'm curious about its contents.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

yes, i'm sure he's willing to risk his life as a demigod of an entire nation over something trivial

come on, stop buying the propaganda of "he's just crazy and willing to throw away everything at the drop of a hat"

even if they nuked an entire carrier group it wouldn't get them anything because it would only be a matter of time before they were ground down into dust. North Korea won't ever launch a serious military operation until the troops are on their beaches and the missiles are raining from the sky. the reason we haven't forced an action out of them is that no one wants to deal with the total mess that would create. its a serious "you break it, you buy it" situation.

I don't trust any dictator to not do extreme things, especially when their regime is enforced with a cult of personality and state media that routinely publishes apocalyptic statements from that regime.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pick posted:

Again, the average person absolutely does not give a poo poo about this stuff. They care that they can't pay rent. Theeeyyy caaannttt paaayyyy reeennnttt

You know us discussing this stuff doesn't mean we don't care about any other thing right?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

please, tell me the dictators that performed random violent actions that brought the wrath of superior militaries down upon them

don't loving say hitler

I'm not saying random. I'm saying whatever happens in the future with N.Korea I'd rather it not happen with them having nukes. That's all.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Honestly, once they get nukes, the whole situation would probably start to calm down.

Yeah that's possible. Frankly I don't like the idea of anybody having nukes, but that can of worms has loooooong be let loose. I'd rather not let tons and tons of countries get them.

RaySmuckles posted:

everyone said the same thing about Pakistan, and they've got much more reason to use them (against india) and have been behaving in a way that would escalate tension AND have a disputed territory that violence breaks out over frequently

but no one seems to care about that situation at all

I think it's bad that Pakistan got nukes too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The Human Crouton posted:

Hillary: This is the worst day ever. Nothing could ever fix this!
Bill: Well I may know something that can fix this.
Hillary: Yeah? And what's that?
*Bill takes a credit card out of his wallet and dangles it in the air smiling.*
Bill: New SHOES!!!!

lmao

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

here's something relevantish to the thread. I live in a city where the municipal government controls the internet. Comcast et al still exist but barely. The EPB is city owned and offers 100Mbps, 1Gbits, or 10Gbits. This is a local government initiative, and they're killing it. It has revived the city and added thousands of more jobs. My internet loving owns. I'm a republican, but I'm a Tennessee Republican. There's value in taxpayer investment.

I have access the the fastest internet in the country and its a result of the city government. Food for thought.

Yeah poo poo like this is cool. Especially considering how loving lovely my internet is.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

Come to Chattanooga, friend.

I've thought about trying to get a job at the Sequoyah nuke plant but I'm betting that's prolly a bit beyond that municipal internet lol.

E: Watts bar is near there too, actually.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

That's about 50 miles away. but the TVA headquarters is downtown central.

Yeeeeah I'm not really a headquartersy guy. I literally climb all over and take apart nuclear reactors. An actual plant's where I belong.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pick posted:

No one can really express why they want certain things any more, on their own terms and not with memes (in the scientific sense not the doge sense). Why do they want marriage to go away? Why do they think people shouldn't have kids? Why do they think that maybe there should be death panels for the elderly? Why do people stop going to church? Why, REALLY?

I think marriage is fine but also don't care if people get married or not, not for me to say how other people handle relationships. I think people should have kids if they want them, it's a biological imperative to reproduce and personally I'd like for my family name to carry on when I'm dead. I don't think there should be death panels for the elderly, but I think an old should be allowed to decide to euthanize themselves if they want to. I don't go to church because I don't believe in organized religion.

Personally I think people are much more likely to articulate their reasons for their beliefs in a setting like this, where people aren't immediately attacking each other for thinking differently. Overall I think this thread has done very good at that. But when you've got a charged and aggressive environment going on, why would somebody bother to express their beliefs if some raging nerd is just gonna freak the hell out?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Orkin Mang posted:

friends and religion are just a crutch. me i face up with a flinty stare to the harsh realities of the world, forming my boundless internal energies with titanic acts of pure will

lol this post owns

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't really understand why people agonize over that concept. If you wanna be chill with your neighbors, go for it. I just don't see much point in lamenting the fact that other people maybe don't want to be buddies with their neighbors. Personally I say hey and chitchat with neighbors sometimes, and wave to em' on the road in and out and poo poo, but I'd rather hang out with my family or a friend or head down to the bar than spend an appreciable about of time with them. I'd still look out for them and their property though if somebody was being a piece of poo poo and call the cops for them etc.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Orkin Mang posted:

*swoops in with emeter*

Motherfucker don't you lay a single can on my thetans, I won these fair and square via single combat.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

They're actually doing it. Holy cow it's happening.

Hillary2020

This guy actually rickrolls people in 2017.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I'm eager for any more juicy snippets from our would-be lizard queen

Yeah, I was hoping there were more dudes out there reading this.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Baby racism gave us trump. Just the other day I saw a baby just immediately start barking at a black man it was really hosed up.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Archer666 posted:

When trump won my baby poo poo itself or it was me i dont remember that night very well

You and that baby probably got really drunk on PBR and beat up a minority together.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

lmao of course it's Hamilton

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Now, I don't LOVE North Korea said raysmuckles, tiny juche chode in hand,

Tiny Juche Chode would make a sweet username

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jesus don't even start the gamergate poo poo

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*Waitress returns to the table where she excitedly served Jeb Bush, expecting a good tip.*

*Finds two slices of avacado with the check.*

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*Bellhop sets down a bunch of luggage in a high-priced suite."

"There you are, Governor Bush. And if you need anything, anything at all, please don't hesitate to call the front desk and ask for Todd."

*Points at his nametag, smiling while Jeb Bush nods.*

*Todd the bellhop clears his throat and lingers quietly.*

"Oh, right, I'm sorry. Here let me just get my cutting board," says Jeb as he pulls an avacado from the inside pocket of his blazer.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

*An elderly man stands in front of Judge Judy describing how the defendant had climbed his trees, stealing the fruits of his labors.*

"Your honor, he said 'I'm picking your avacados, old man, what are you gonna do about it?'"

*Camera cuts to Judge Judy as she asks what would posess the defendant to do such a thing.*

*Jeb Bush appears on screen with a sheepish grin on his face.*

"Guacamooool"

E: for reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnqPfbb0GlA

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 20, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pick not as large a portion of the population is 100% oblivious about anything beyond our borders as you think.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Yeah, a bunch of people in the US loving love Pinochet

Even opinion aside, a lot of the poo poo that we did down there is covered in a lot of American history classes and poo poo as a part of the Cold War and our application of the old Monroe Doctrine during it. So the idea that somebody is a rarity because they know who Pinochet is, regardless of their opinion, is pretty drat lol.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

COMRADES posted:

Maybe if you were in AP but meanwhile many people can't even tell you how many stars are on the flag.

I never took AP courses.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pick posted:

Sorry, basement weirdoes of SA, but I've spent the last ten years being forced to work with normal folks, many of which do not have college degrees and a fair number of which don't have highschool degrees either, and they do not loving know who Pinochet was.

The ivory tower, is you.

So I'm the weirdo for not automatically assuming that almost everybody is completely uneducated about everything (but totally not me all my friends have PhDs you literal retard :smug:)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

COMRADES posted:

You went to a better school than most then because usually Monroe Doctrine gets like some passing mentions and afaik most high school history classes don't go past like 1900 (including the AP ones).

Yeah

Oh I don't mean to make it sound like it was thorough. Of was more of a "Hey we continued the Monroe Doctrine during the Cold War by meddling in a shitload of countries in the Americas and propping up various regimes" with a few as examples, which I remember including Pinochet, Batista, and a couple others I forget.

Also I'm not saying that Americans are highly educated, I'm saying calling yourself a rarity because you know a history thing is pretty drat lol, especially considering how much we like to harp on about commies and the cold war.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 20, 2017

• Locked thread