Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

I would bet on humans still being a good deck post unban

It's got bad matchups to Whirrza, tron, and spirits. Jund side boards you into Oblivion with plague engineer. All of those are real decks now that faster stuff is dead.

I did back of napkin math this morning, and spirits is under $300 away for me, and a lot of that cost is fetch lands. It almost seems dumb to not get the parts now when the most expensive thing of be looking at is Coco. But I'm also in a position where that isn't much money for a magic budget, which is not normal I suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Was considering finally getting into modern since I've been slowly acquiring pieces of various decks through trades but I'm kinda glad I didn't commit because I'd be pretty pissed if I spent a month's rent on a deck only for it to become literally unplayable overnight lol.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

STONEFORGE MYSTIC UNBANNED?!
*slaps giant button labeled BUY MYSTICS, alarm klaxon begins blaring*
I'd watch a Mad Money style show about mtgfinance.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Was considering finally getting into modern since I've been slowly acquiring pieces of various decks through trades but I'm kinda glad I didn't commit because I'd be pretty pissed if I spent a month's rent on a deck only for it to become literally unplayable overnight lol.

I'm happy for the changes. But I know some people who are getting out of modern because of this. That said, I also know of some people who were off modern for a while because of the previous meta.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I wonder if Neobrand will become more ubiquitous among spikes that absolutely need to win by turn 3 at the latest, now that hogaak and looting are gone, and people will relax their anti-graveyard strategies?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elmon posted:

I'm happy for the changes. But I know some people who are getting out of modern because of this. That said, I also know of some people who were off modern for a while because of the previous meta.

I was in the latter. I haven't really played Modern since WAR came out.

Silhouette posted:

I wonder if Neobrand will become more ubiquitous among spikes that absolutely need to win by turn 3 at the latest, now that hogaak and looting are gone, and people will relax their anti-graveyard strategies?

I hope it does because it folds to basically any piece of 1 mana interaction.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I had totally lost interest in modern until that ban announcement.

Now Im pricing out my UW upgrades for the next few months.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Silhouette posted:

Bubble HULK bubble HULK.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

your deck is unplayable because an enabler is banned: riot, flip cars, burn Maro in effigy

your deck is unplayable because wotc printed a bullshit meta-centralizing card: that’s the way it goes, git gud, there’s the door if you don’t like the format

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

your deck is unplayable because an enabler is banned: riot, flip cars, burn Maro in effigy

your deck is unplayable because wotc printed a bullshit meta-centralizing card: that’s the way it goes, git gud, there’s the door if you don’t like the format

It's different when it's MY deck though!!!!

The latter has happened to literally every deck I've ever played in any format.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

like, you can absolutely still play bridgevine or hollow one or whatever, and experience what it was like to try to play spirits or storm in a hogaak meta

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I still have pod sleeved up somewhere ;_;

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

like, you can absolutely still play bridgevine
:thunk:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How many cards in Affinity have Affinity in their textbox

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

How many cards in Affinity have Affinity in their textbox

I used to play with three thoughtcast in my 75... in like 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elmon posted:

I just had three decks have serious changes to be made to them, and I expect Phoenix to not come back from it at all. I'm still kind of happy, because I get that fair decks are what the game is supposed to be, and being able to cheat out all the stuff that you could on turn two was bad for the format. Plus my original deck (burn) is helped by a slower format, sooner it essentially the fastest deck that doesn't cheat on Mana.

Having everything be trying to seeing for the fences on turn there with minimal interaction probably isn't good for the game. But I'm also someone for which MtG is expensive but we'll within my hobby budget to put together. Jund is really pushing it though, and even when the deck is trash it's still incredibly expensive.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 27, 2019

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I was joking before, but since they banned BOTH cards people were arguing over, I might actually get to play Living End again (the old version that doesn't use As Foretold). Or should I finish building Ad Nauseum first? Its a more expensive deck, but it might actually win games too. I haven't played Living End since before Splinter Twin was banned, but it was so much fun running over decks I couldn't afford with commons and painlands.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I think people got lazy and just attributed all the problems with FL, when it was fine in a lot of decks. Most of the broken decks WotC claimed were the best recently because of FL were good for other reasons. Phoenix, Dredge, and Hogaak all had other very obvious cards that were making the decks broken, but they decided that it would be easier to just get rid of FL. Just seems like WotC caved to blue mages whining that red was better at something it's supposed to be the best at instead of pinpointing the problem cards and banning them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, this seems like it will hopefully make for a healthier format and all, but I definitely don't have the disposable income to basically flush a grand down the toilet when a ban gets announced. Especially since not only is it probably going to be impossible for people to sell out of their decks for anything close to what they bought in for, but they're also gonna have to invest probably that same amount in a totally different deck.

Which I guess is the universe telling me to stick to draft and standard.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

moush posted:

I think people got lazy and just attributed all the problems with FL, when it was fine in a lot of decks. Most of the broken decks WotC claimed were the best recently because of FL were good for other reasons. Phoenix, Dredge, and Hogaak all had other very obvious cards that were making the decks broken, but they decided that it would be easier to just get rid of FL. Just seems like WotC caved to blue mages whining that red was better at something it's supposed to be the best at instead of pinpointing the problem cards and banning them.

I dont think many blue mages were complaining about Phoenix but go off king

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

If you're playing 4 faithless looting, you're not looking to do anything fair at all. It wasn't "fine", it's a really good engine that defined the metagame and sped up the format a lot. Saying complaints only came from blue mages is kinda dumb since modern was never really a pure control format, especially as it started out having all the key blue spells being banned. Also, blue mages loving love phoenix.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The only fair Faithless Looting deck was Mardu Pyromancer and it was playable for a grand total of three months

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

The only really fair faithless looting deck was Mardu Pyromancer, and I am sad to see that go. But I've had enough of phoenix, hogaak, bridgevine, or whatever popping up whenever they mad a strong graveyard design, so banning faithless looting was the right thing imo.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

The only fair Faithless Looting deck was Mardu Pyromancer and it was playable for a grand total of three months

Was Mardu Pyromancer even a fair deck at the end of the day? Turning Looting into literal Ancestral Recall seems like a pretty unfair thing to do in Magic.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

A Moose posted:

I was joking before, but since they banned BOTH cards people were arguing over, I might actually get to play Living End again (the old version that doesn't use As Foretold). Or should I finish building Ad Nauseum first? Its a more expensive deck, but it might actually win games too. I haven't played Living End since before Splinter Twin was banned, but it was so much fun running over decks I couldn't afford with commons and painlands.

Ad Nauseam is the best deck. For most matches you get to completely ignore what your opponent does and then win. When your deck decides to let you draw both combo pieces in the same match. And you don't exile both win conditions with Spoils of the Vault. You do get to effectively gain 10 life against burn that can't be skull cracked via Phyrexian Unlife and the new mulligan rule makes the deck way better. Most games you can win on turn 4-5 but you can possibly win on turn 3 with Pentad Prism, 3 lands, and Simian Spirit Guide to get you to six mana. It is honestly my favorite modern deck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lol at this thread being up in arms about the looting ban when it's done nothing but rage about the fact that it wasn't banned last time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

Lol at this thread being up in arms about the looting ban when it's done nothing but rage about the fact that it wasn't banned last time.

hosed up how there's only one person who posts in this thread, and they keep flip-flopping like that

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ItBreathes posted:

Lol at me never reading this thread being up in arms about the looting ban when it's done nothing but rage about the fact that it wasn't banned last time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Faithless Looting: I think watching the relatively quick rise and fall of something like Izzet Phoenix, which was briefly 20% of the day 2 tournament metagame, but then fall back to earth as people learned to play against it and Izzet players had to hedge against the mirror more, which required playing things like maindeck Surgical Extraction instead of maindeck Gut Shot, opening the deck up to being beaten by things like Humans, is a totally fine thing and doesn't indicate the overpowered nature of Faithless Looting. I also think Dredge is a very fragile strategy that can be very easily beaten by a single Leyline of the Void, but that gets into arguments about Modern being a "did you draw your hate"/"did you draw your counter-hate" format which is certainly one thing to not like about the format itself. Besides those two decks, no one is really complaining about the power of stuff like Mardu Pyromancer. Mono-red phoenix is certainly quite powerful right now, but I think it's particularly capitalizing on the existence of Hogaak and it's ability to go under and around it, and it will simply prove to be a perfectly cromulent creature/burn strategy in the future.

I stand by what I said 2 weeks ago.

However, I think it's, like... fine to remove at least some of the "did you draw your hate" "did you draw your anti-hate" game play in modern. It definitely still exists, but at least now there is likely a bit less.

Taking the edge off decks like Mono-red prowess is kind of dumb, when they can help keep decks like Tron in check. But maybe losing looting just sort of pushes the prowess decks into the more glass-cannony end of things and they are like 47-53% decks instead of like 49-55%.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

little munchkin posted:

hosed up how there's only one person who posts in this thread, and they keep flip-flopping like that

Innit tho?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

Every thread is a single person yelling at themselves ad infinitum

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Every thread is a single person yelling at themselves ad infinitum

:hmmyes:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Ad Nauseam is the best deck. For most matches you get to completely ignore what your opponent does and then win. When your deck decides to let you draw both combo pieces in the same match. And you don't exile both win conditions with Spoils of the Vault. You do get to effectively gain 10 life against burn that can't be skull cracked via Phyrexian Unlife and the new mulligan rule makes the deck way better. Most games you can win on turn 4-5 but you can possibly win on turn 3 with Pentad Prism, 3 lands, and Simian Spirit Guide to get you to six mana. It is honestly my favorite modern deck.

Ad naus went from slam dunking against control to the control match being almost unwinnable.

I believe the new ad naus tech is silence right?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Mezzanon posted:

Ad naus went from slam dunking against control to the control match being almost unwinnable.

I believe the new ad naus tech is silence right?

I see Silence at FNMs at least

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
doesn't ad naus just get dumpstered by Dovin's Veto?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

moush posted:

this exact same argument could be and was made about necropotence— it’s fine if you’re drawing scathe zombies with it, not fine if you’re drawing dark rituals and hymns. if the same enabler shows up repeatedly in busted decks, it’s a busted enabler

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this exact same argument could be and was made about necropotence— it’s fine if you’re drawing scathe zombies with it, not fine if you’re drawing dark rituals and hymns. if the same enabler shows up repeatedly in busted decks, it’s a busted enabler

Yikes. What busted logic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I don't see what argument you can make to ban Looting where you don't also ban Ancient Stirrings.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
If WotC cared about unfair decks they would have banned far more enablers than FL, especially when they unban Stoneforge at the same time. And yes, blue mages were complaining hardcore about FL being the best card selection in the format after their 1cmc cantrips got banned. Let's only hope WotC keeps following through with their idea to keep modern "fair" and bans tron, storm, and many of the other unfair decks still in the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

moush posted:

If WotC cared about unfair decks they would have banned far more enablers than FL, especially when they unban Stoneforge at the same time. And yes, blue mages were complaining hardcore about FL being the best card selection in the format after their 1cmc cantrips got banned. Let's only hope WotC keeps following through with their idea to keep modern "fair" and bans tron, storm, and many of the other unfair decks still in the format.

We must of read a different banned and restricted announcement because the one I read said "we want to emphasize creature combat a bit more" and not " UNFAIR DECKS ARE CANCELLED"