Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Thread title is the best advice ever given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ThePeavstenator posted:

Under standard you should add a link to whatsinstandard.com the same way you link the banlists for the other formats.

No one reads OPs. No one.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like how our Mary Sue, Jace, has had only one new planeswalker card since Magic Origins.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My DCI number has 777 in it, so you know that it's totes unlucky.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Question: is Liliana a cougar or a cradle robber?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Who's got time for beads? I just turn my cards just slightly to the right so they're not straight and that's good enough.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mossyfisk posted:

I'm pretty sure this is correct.

I'm referring to when people turn their cards over maybe ten degrees when they tap them for an ability or attack.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PJOmega posted:

As shown in the tap symbol.

I'm smart; I went to college.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

whydirt posted:

This just reminds me of how dumb it was that the creative team made the dragons plane one where there were no baby or young dragons so there could only be C/U dragon cards through finding corner case drawbacks and other silliness.

There is one dragon in Shards of Alara block that is uncommon. The rest are all rares or mythic rares. And all dragons in Onslaught block are rare, even though Scourge pushes a dragon tribe.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You hear that? That's the sound of the price of Flusterstorm blasting off into space.

http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/2016/08/commander-anthology-magic-gathering-spoilers-news-updates/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Sexual Shiite posted:

What if they're getting around the reserved list by recompiling cards that they had printed way back in the day?

Something like how they put old cards into the first printing of Zendikar?

I think they quietly acquired those cards from second-hand sellers and insert them into packs. The masterpiece cards in Battle for Zendikar are a callback to that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What if they got around the reserved list by removing it, given that no one who qualitatively exists supports it?

I have met a single person in my nine years of the game that would be angry if the reserved list was eliminated. This same person complained that Tarmogoyf is overprinted.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You do know why a lot of illustrators work digitally, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

CompeAnansi posted:

You can work digitally without it looking like a still shot of CGI from B horror movie.

I'm going to ask you again.

Star Man posted:

You do know why a lot of illustrators work digitally, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I would kill for a printmaker to do some illustrations for Magic. But that's not exactly an easy process of making art.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

What are you getting at?

With traditional media, you have to document the commissioned artwork. The original size for a lot of Magic artwork is around 11x14, which is too big for most scanners. There are scanners available that can scan images larger than letter size, but that's a method that really only works with artwork done with pen and ink or watercolor. The other way that artwork gets documented is by mounting it on a wall and having a light setup so that even, reflected light is shining on the artwork and you photograph it. There are also mounts you can get for cameras where the camera is facing down and you place artwork underneath it. But you can't photograph artwork in a room where the walls are bright orange because that orange is going to get reflected on the artwork. And you can't photograph artwork with a cheap camera, you need good and expensive equipment if you want print-quality reproduction. It's easier to do copy work now because digital cameras let you see how your photography went and you can adjust it pretty easily on the computer, but imagine seeing your copy work turning out like crap in 1995. You gotta do it all over again.

The other problem with traditional media is that it's more difficult to make adjustments to the artwork if the art director wants changes. It's easier to do that if your work is a painting, but pen and ink and watercolor are not very easy to make adjustments with because once you put something down, you can't undo it. And, there's the issue of space, having to replace materials, and ventilation if your materials require it. If you illustrate with oil paints, you can't just dump your spent turpenoid down the drain in your kitchen because it will gently caress up the drain and the chemicals from the pigments in the paints and vehicles need good ventilation. And it can take up a bit of space at home if where you live is tiny. You gotta store that equipment and artwork somewhere.

A lot of illustrators moved on to digital work because it's an easier workflow. All you need is the software of your choice and a means to input that artwork and a desk. You don't have to photograph artwork and changes requested by the client are easier to implement. You then just send the work to your client in an email or upload it to a server.

That doesn't make digital art the superior way to do art, but for a lot of freelance illustrators, it makes their workflow a lot simpler to just do that. The foundations and principles of design don't magically change just because the work is on a computer instead of a mounted canvas.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

CompeAnansi posted:

If that was what you were trying to get at, why were you addressing it to me? My complaint was about the style, not the medium.

Because instead of stuffing a loaded weapon into mouth and pulling the trigger, I'm spending my time misreading posts on the internet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

You should play a fun game like Magic: The Gathering.

Magic was fun until I discovered this thread in 2009. Now it's a part of my own personal hell.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Archenteron posted:

The new Gods aren't enchantments.

I sided in an enchament exile card to deal with an Oketra

:negative:

That's why we do our homework.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I went 1-2 in a prerelease because nine mountains in your deck means you will never, ever have the two mountains available to cast Glorybringer and Sweltering Sands.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
also loving :laffo: at the one hardcore mtgfinance grog that thinks Tarmogoyf is overprinted and would be devastated if the reserved list was abolished. He's only playing in one prerelease, but bought six kits and is ripping them all open and cracking the packs. The guy's an accountant for gently caress's sake.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My favorite thing at prerelease will always be watching people buy a stack of prerelease kits and open them all and never play in an event. They'll spend $180 for six kits just to crack the packs and go.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

goth smoking cloves posted:

I am reasonably sure you aren't allowed to sell those until after the set comes out.

The way around it is to register then for the tournament and then have them drop immediately.

I'm told that people that get those where I play is that they are able to pay for all six prerelease events for $160. Where I play, we always get a pack in prizes for participation, and the owner includes that extra pack with each kit if people are just buying them to open amd not play. In the end, they get 42 packs and six bonus rares for $160 and it comes out to like $3.80 per pack. That's a whopping $8.40 in savings.

I have no idea how many kits a store is supposed to order, but in a town of ten thousand people in central Wyoming, they're not going to sell out. People do come to play from as far as sixty miles away, but turnout was low because it's prom weekend for three neighboring towns so the high school kids that commute from those places were out doing that.

So far, the only thing anyone has done to affect the store's reputation was they complained that one of the other regulars was cheating and getting away with it. He was just some shitstain that couldn't handle losing regularly to a fifteen-year-old girl and even our local judge was contacted by Wizards to confirm this player existed and that she was a pretty good limited player.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 23, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
quote aint edit

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Unban all cards and ban all Magic players.

Also lol at listening to people that talk up playing a Walking Ballista for zero on turn one just to get a turn one Bone Picker. Yes, please. Do it against me all day long so I can feed your ..::[Black Delver]:.. a Shock the first turn it attacks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I win.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sit on my Facebook posted:

Super sweet

Now that you've held one in your hand, how do you feel about Invocations? Are they cooler in person?

As a former art major: it's still loving hideous.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mcmagic posted:

I was just gonna say now he can see how lovely Force is in Limited. lol

It ate a turn-two Combat Celebrant in game three. An Essence Scatter or Censor would have done the same job because I didn't make a play on turn two. Good enough.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mcmagic posted:

It's much worse than those cards. You're down a card.

I went 3-0 in the event and it's prerelease season. Calm down.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I traded my ugly Force of Will for two Tarmogoyfs and a stack of some Modern miscellania. Now I have a set of Tarmogoyfs afain and I only spent $95 to get them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

No matter how many ellipses mcmagic uses I'd never do something as dastardly as giving him an avatar that links to a lovely forum for people too bad at posting for gbs.

Someone had a bone to pick with him, apparently.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I'm entering my Amonkhet cards into my collection tracker on MTGGoldfish and I see that Glorybringer is now at $12. I don't know what the hell for but I'm glad I preordered the other three I need for a playset last night at $5.95 each.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

These were pre-ordering for less than 8 bucks a playset last week. TCGplayer is showing a super low amount left on pre-order, I am sure it will be flooded tomorrow at a lower price.

I just like Rx beef decks, but lol at that dragon being $12. The $5.95 I paid was too much already.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

whydirt posted:

Caleb D is steaming a sick Boros aggro deck on Twitch right now.

Jesus christ that thing is big

And he thinks that being unable to exert is a bug because he thinks it's an activated ability.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 25, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

I can be annoyed that a bunch of people who don't play a format got a card/deck banned even if I've never played that deck. Especially when it's not the first time it happened.

Real questions: How many of you people who are so happy about Top's banning actually play legacy? How many play only or primarily legacy? How many complained about Top before AVR was released?

I haven't been able to play Legacy since 2013, but the ban should have been for Terminus so Counter Top could still live.

But I think that the same people that play with Top slowly in Miracles would be just as miserable with it in Counter Top.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I preordered a stack of red and white humans that I didn't open during prerelease, so I'm hoping that RW Humans can be a deck again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

What are the red cards?

Combat Celebrant x4
Harsh Mentor x4
Glory-Bound Initiate x4
Glorybringer x4
Aven Mindcensor x4

Basically, I'm hoping that Always Watching helps enable some exerted shenanigans.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

Aven mindcensor has no synergy with the deck.

I play Modern too, you know.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alris posted:

In a world without a banlist, what would the most disgustingly brutal Modern deck look like?

Supposedly it's a very fair format, but I have a feeling that Delver decks would just rise to the top with access to Ponder, Preordain, Mental Misstep, and Treasure Cruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Normally I'm of the opinion that you should just get whatever sleeves you prefer and not get into fights over which maker of sleeves is the best, but lol at side-loading perfect fits.