Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I still think the way to go in terms of putting jacetice pws in sets without crowding out slots is via intro deck pws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the funniest thing about Goyf is that it has reminder text that was supposed to be cool future stuff, but now it references an abandoned, archaic card type.

What if Interrupts and Mana Sources and all that good poo poo were still in the game

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I dont' know about going to Hascon, but I think the idea of drafting a set with no information about its contents is really cool. Seems like a neat way to really put your evaluation skills and instincts to the test.

Shits going to get leaked prior one way or another

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What's supposed to be the difference between iconic masters and eternal masters

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

whydirt posted:

Scourge was only made a dragon themed set after the fact. The original design was "cmc matters" and the dragon flavor was added afterward.

In hindsight, pre-Ravnica sets being inconsistently themed with the rest of the block was an absolutely terrible decision. My favorite was Fifth Dawn being rainbow themed in a block about colorless artifacts

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Out of curiosity, what would be the most significant gains from changing earliest legal set of modern from Mirrodin to Masques (like it was back when people were first hypothesizing about an "overextended" format)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Went 2-1-1, tie would have been a win if I were less bad at magic

Rhohas is busted though lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i got two mouths to feed in my pool, one of them a prerelease foil, and got to cast mouth exactly once the entire prerelease

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

i dont think he thought they were balanced since the cards were at different rarities. He just didn't realize how utterly useless lifegain is (would be in the game that had yet to exist)

E: one of the things I've often wondered about is how seemingly entrenched concepts like card advantage don't always translate game to game. Netrunner Android has a common Ancestral Recall, but it doesn't see play that much. Why doesn't such a card transfer over as well (and I know netrunner has different resources)?

Meanwhile in YGO pot of greed is banned

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/HeleneBergeot/status/864591027209883648

Feels like there's a lot more churn at WOTC these days but that might just be me imagining things

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The Gayewatch has left every plane they've been to in a worse state than it would have been if they'd never shown up

Essentially the magic story is a metaphor for the Iraq war and American intervention in the middle east

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
City of Heroes but with planeswalkers would be cool

considering WOTC brass and their boner for emulating Marvel/DC there's actually a > 0% chance it could happen

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
How are they going to fix the core set problem that got them into doing 2 blocks per year though

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

I feel like part of the point of the Masterpieces were missed. The reason the Amonket Invocations failed was because they were A. Ugly as Sin and B. Largely not valuable. Players aren't playing the Invocation lottery; they are playing the Force of Will lottery.

They are kind of forced to make some of the masterpieces garbage if they keep printing them every set

Anyways the new core sets sound like Magic Origins type of deals, which is pretty rad

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Should have used the planeswalkers decks as the place to print generic staples into standard

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Both the core set and Dominiaria are 269 card sets, in case anybody was wondering about bloat in Standard.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Hey they showed one new card

The starter deck Nicol Bolas :v:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

So which way does a card that's vault foiled on both sides bend?

both :unsmigghh:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

Leaks are cool, spoil the whole drat set. I think that Jace has Castaway in the name. I wonder if at the end of Devastation Vilas kicks the GW's rear end and sends each of them across the verse to different worlds

Mono Red Pirate Aggro sounds amazing.

I want a set where Jace spends the entire time talking to a clue token

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Aha this latest "leak" clearly shows the entire thing is fake,

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
meanwhile
https://twitter.com/InkedPlaymats/status/875379278912700416

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Notably, MaRo said this back in September

quote:

Meanwhile, I was busy designing Ham, the fall (northern hemisphere) set of 2017. At the halfway point of Kaladesh design, I handed the reins of the set over to Shawn Main so I could start working on the design for Amonkhet, the large set of the next block. And then halfway through Amonkhet design, I handed the reins over to Ethan Fleischer so I could work on Ham. In Ham, we were working on a new mechanic that I was worried felt too much like Vehicles because it required having a certain number of creatures to activate it. To try and distance my mechanic from Vehicles, I changed it so instead of caring about how many creatures you had, it cared about the total power of the creatures you had. We tested with it and I really liked how it played.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Imagine having a felony because you took a picture of a collectible card game sheet and posted it to the internet

hope that 6 months of anonymous e-fame was worth it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Oh my god I just turned on the stream and watched for about 2 minutes. It's so embarrassing and cringe inducing

it's perfect and i will protect it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Marketing New Brain posted:

Oh the wording is funny, I just realized you can't stack two -1/-1 counters on a single creature. It was a lot better when I thought it was 2 mana Splendid Agony.

wow bolas man cheated during the showcase, im calling a judge

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Does Liliana 's Defeat let you destroy Koth

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

I thought that was like a Portuguese language preview at first

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
hour of desperation

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Elyv posted:

the art for Hour of Glory is pretty silly

I mean, Fight isn't actually called Fight given that Prepare to Fight is a card, but I assume the rules text is right

the literal translation for the combined names is something along the lines of Just Cause so go figure out some synonym that involves the word to

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mikujin posted:

They probably don't do this because when they do it sucks and no one wants to play it:

This seems like the kind of effect that would go hilariously wrong in MTGO randomly

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Why is that card not "Torment of Hellfire?"

Hailfire is an incredibly stupid word.

torment of heckfire

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Wonder how long it'll take WOTC to realize people don't cover their eyes and ears come Saturday and might be even more responsive to spoilers over the weekend.

The explanation given was that nobody works over the weekend so there's nobody to hand out spoilers

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Metamorphosis: we have a third set problem, let's get rid of third sets
Metamorphosis 2.0: we have a small set problem, let's get rid of small sets

Metamorphosis 3.0: we have a set problem, let's get rid of sets

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

Eugene, The Spirit Dragon

Eugene and Nicole Bolas

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/880121762108760064

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/880177279246008322

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what a meh marquee card

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Retromancer posted:

Imagine having a job so dull that you write poo poo like this.

Well their day job is writing Magic Story

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

That would've been a cool art style for the Invocations.

kinda bland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sickening posted:

Could ... magic be bad?